/fast/ #479 Dead general edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
[YouTube] Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference? (Science of Fasting) (embed)
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
[YouTube] Intermittent Fasting & Hunger - What the Science says (embed)
>Tumors
[YouTube] Dr. Valter Longo - Fasting Cycles Retard Growth of Tumors (embed)

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
Google snake juice. Not strictly necessary, especially for short fasts (Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week. Also look up leangains.
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very MUSCLE SPARING when you fast.

Attached: fasting-1-1500x788.jpg (1500x788, 226K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-PJ5-PpNegk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>fasting fatman is now carnivore

youtube.com/watch?v=-PJ5-PpNegk

If I'm doing ADF and lifting on the feeding days, should I eat before or after lifting? I usually have a protein shake immediately after regardless

Doing psmf rn, not that hard if you're in ketosis first

Taking BCAAs is not a good idea while fasting, you're tricking your brain into thinking its in a fed state because leucine is extremely anabolic.

It does not have any muscle-sparing benefits.

been doing 16:8 for a little over a month now for my cut and seen some great progress
you guys think switching to 18:6 will net me even better results?

Yeah probably

I just had a refeed, ate 4 bacon rashers and a steak, I'm fasting every 2 days then eating one meal, I'm down to 126 kgs.

How much at your start ?
And how long took you to get there

I started 156 now 133 since june

How much did I weigh? I was about 157 kgs at my heaviest, been dieting for a few months, I just recently got into fasting about a month ago, I hope I don't have loose skin when I'm lean. I'm 6'4 but the fat on my tits is huge

we're all gonna make it brahs
i went from 119kg to 78kg in under a year of fasting and lifting
8 more kilos and i will reach my dream weight

hey /fast/, I've been cutting for a while now and I've started stalling a little in losing fat. I'm also fairly small and don't want to go full skelly so I'd like to start bulking up again, but I'd like to try to avoid putting on as much body fat as I can. Can I use fasting to gain muscle and lose or keep off fat? If so, what's a good method? The 5:2 method in the general post doesn't say whether it means OMAD for two days or a 48-hour fast for two days a week.

Attached: furretwalk.gif (260x146, 1.76M)

Depends how long you've been training, but assuming from your post I'll say untrained or beginner.

When you workout your muscle protein synthesis is ramped up for 72 hours as a newbie, 48 hours as an intermediate, and 24 hours as an advanced lifter so it's more beneficial if you are trying to gain mass to eat everyday you workout, and as a beginner eat everyday, therefore OMAD or a tight IF. Difficulty with that is eating enough protein in that small window, so unless you have a ravenous appetite make sure to supplement. 5:2 is usually meant as 5 days eating, 2 days fasting or up to 500 calories for those two days. OMAD with 5:2 schedule probably wouldn't have much effect on your fat loss overall, you'd be better off doing IF or OMAD everyday or a majority of the week

Thanks for replying. I've been lifting for a long time but I'm not very good at it and I think it's because for the longest time I wasn't watching my diet that closely. I started cutting about 4 months ago and lost about 10kg of fat. I'd like to start bulking up again but there's a limited amount of weight that I can gain at a time because I don't want to grow out of my clothes as they're expensive (white collar job), so I was thinking of using this to maximise muscle gain and minimise fat gain. I think based on what you've said I should avoid fasting for now and just try a regular bulking diet.

Carnivore is the perfect refeed

FACT: 99.9% of fit healthy individuals accomplish their goals by eating healthy appropriately-sized portions of food, and working hard everyday.

I'm not anti-fasting (especially for people who are hugely obese and have binge eating disorders), and I have even completed a few very short fasts to challenge my willpower. And I'm glad you all have found your niche and you're all trying to make it..

But some posters ITT who act like fasting on salt water only, for 30 days at a time, for the rest of your life, is the only way to lose weight and be Jow Forums, are brainwashed and narrow minded fools. These posters spend way too much time on youtube watching videos (by posters with credentials/souces you don't vet), and buy it as Gopel. (No different from a cult member or a religious individual.) Take what these posters say with a grain of salt. You should go outside and socialize and spend more time with actual humans living in society, and talk with the Jow Forums people you meet. Ask them what they do to stay in shape. 99% of them will not say they do prolonged snake juice fasts. Try suggesting long term snake juice fasts to Jow Forums people you meet in your day to day life. Get some feedback from Jow Forums people you see in real life, rather than someone posting at a computer.

1/2

Attached: 1553482430163m.jpg (640x539, 53K)

2/2

If you're new to these fasting threads, just be sure to take everything you read with a grain of salt. No one responding to you is a medical professional and just because they watched some video doesn't make the information contained within it correct. Every person is different but 99% of fit and healthy individuals eat healthy and workout daily and don't ever need to try drastic crash diets.

Trial and Error is your friend. Try out a routine for a few months, and if that doesn't work, try something different. I believe Fasting is a last resort after you've tried everything you can.

And NEVER fast because you think it's the easy way out. Many fasters ITT are only fasting because they are too lazy to work hard. Sweating and working out is hard. Cooking homemade healthy food and meticulously tracking your food intake is hard work. Don't chose to fast just because you want to be lazy and lay around all day, because once you finally start to eat again, you will gain back any weight you lost frok living a lazy sedentary lifestyle. Start developing active healthy habits NOW. Dont chose to be lazy your entire life.

Thanks for reading. And be safe. We're all going to make it (but most dont need snake juice fasting to make it)

Attached: rvl09tt0s6231.jpg (1000x525, 107K)

Stop spreading debunked bullshit

I intermittent fast because it cured my IBS. I even bulk on IF.

but intermittent fasting combined with HIIT is literally the best way to shred

I'm a 6'1 183lb dyel should I fast