Looks vs. Strength

I legit have seen meatheads struggle more with moving around heavy shit or fighting than martial artists who are modestly buffed.
Is it technique or are the thin guys actually stronger?
What are the best ways to work out for strength rather than building mass in the muscles?
Or for that matter, speed, since a faster punch is more dangerous than a heavy punch due to kinetic energy.

Attached: gennosuke back.jpg (728x1040, 181K)

Stick to 1-3 reps

wasn't this for endurance, like using your muscles for more time?

I guess for speed you have to train for speed. So things like punching as fast as you can, trying to jum as high as you can, move your arms as fast as you can, this sort of thing

1-5 is for strength
6-12 for hypertrophy
13+ for muscle endurance

so if I alternate days where I do 1-5 and days where I do 13+ I'd get strong and enduring without getting heavy?

>or are the thin guys actually stronger?
You're retarded, stop reading manga and go to a gym

t. meathead

>a fight fag, the most retarded group of people on earth calling others "meatheads"

Based Shigurui poster

t. mr quoting

Yes, and if you do more then 13 reps your're doing cardio so make sure to do 20x20 on some days, just get the wait low enough to do it.

I take it 1-5 has to be as fast as I can with the proper form?

At that weight form isnot as important. Just stack the weight on and do whatever you need to do to make it move.

Balkanchad pls go

You're all fucking stupid

ok now what

Now that we have that settled
Do the same powerlifting routine as everyone else, probably SS because you all sound like newbies.
Just don't put on so much weight
A lot of "strength" in the form of lifting weights is about neuromuscular efficiency/recruiting a high percentage of motor units

You'd be surprised what 20 rep sets do for hypertrophy.

Although more mass will make you stronger, strength and speed are largely:
>neurological
>technique based

A fast punch and moving heavy weight aren't the same. I can't advise you on developing a faster punch, but if you want to get stronger:

>Perform 1RMs weekly, rotate the exercise you're maxing out on
>Train 5-8s to get strong enough to handle more weight
>Do a lot of prehab work because your joints are going to get fucked.

Most of these posts are going to get you hurt OP. Just pick up Starting Strength by Rippetoe. It's written by a knowledgeable coach and aimed at beginners to build strength. Reading that book is way better than reading any posts here.

>Perform 1RMs weekly
Don't do this

What y’all think /fit?

I do 4-5 hypertrophy workouts then Saturday mornings I’ll do a 5x5 or 3x5 on the power movements

Also a good mix of swimming, fast 1-mile jogs, and sprints

Literally nothing wrong with it

>I do 4-5 hypertrophy workouts then Saturday mornings I’ll do a 5x5 or 3x5 on the power movements
no

Manga and anime has poisoned your mind, you don't stronger from lifting heavy weights. You get stronger from RECOVERING from lifting heavy weights.

It's a waste of time, and you don't have anything close to a true 1RM as a novice. I squat 200+kg on a weekly basis and I don't have a true 1RM

I perform two 1RMs weekly and have had steady progress
Correct
"True 1RM"
What is that even supposed to mean? It's whatever your 1 rep max is for the day. Sometimes I have good days, sometimes I have bad days. It will vary but the point is, if you don't do a max, you can't get better at handling the max.

You're weak, I guarantee it

Also, you sound like the kind of guy whose scared of overtraining. I agree that other user's plan isn't very wise but chances are he'll still progress since he isn't strong enough to beat himself to death with the weights.

"I squat 200+kg on a weekly basis"
Stronger than you but still pretty weak compared to most.

>Also, you sound like the kind of guy whose scared of overtraining
I overtrained a few times before and was making negative progress, but I don't think I'm scared of it. I handle pretty heavy weights so I'm conscious of it, especially now I'm losing weight

>but chances are he'll still progress since he isn't strong enough to beat himself to death with the weights.
This is a good point, but I'd rather user have more success because of what he does not in spite of it

Depends on your bodyweight (and also depends if I ask for your routine to get some of those gains too)
>but still pretty weak compared to most.
Humble, same. Easily the strongest in my normie gym but it means nothing in the large scheme of things

Yup, biggest fish in my commercial gym, smallest little guppy in the competitive scene.

I've been staying with conjugate as far as lower body goes, but my upper body has always been lagging, so I've been alternating "max effort" days for extra rep work.

My maxes have seen steady increases and I've been injury free since I started with this, so I'm content with it for now.

>conjugate
Can you post a resource so I can look this up?
My progress has stalled recently because the sleeves on the barbells at my gym don't rotate, it's like doing every lift with an axle bar. Awful

Hope to make more gains when I move towns

Literally google "conjugate method" and/or "westside barbell"

Theres a ton of free resources out there the westside barbell website and elitefts being some of the best.

Fair warning, Louie (the coach behind this) writes like an illiterate hobo, but he's known for producing top notch athletes. The NFL sends players to him.

If you want the textbooks though, go straight for Mel Siff's stuff.