Hiking

Haven't done much cardio in a long time. Messed up my knee from doing sports. Was thinking of replacing running with hiking is even comparable.

Attached: hiking in the woods.jpg (1600x1098, 757K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hiking is based but you will get bored of all the hikes in your area quite quickly, this is the biggest problem with hiking

If you have a knee injury, replace it with swimming. Hiking is worst for the articulations because the terrain is irregular, the shoe is less flexible and the backpack weight increases the articular stress

I can definitely see that. Went a smaller popular state park and my friends want to go next month. I already know what is there and the excitement was not knowing what I would find on the trail.

Yeah I can see that happening. I might try kayaking too.

Watch missing 411

Attached: 0734DAC7-BBCF-439C-9096-24EBA7DB84BF.jpg (160x170, 5K)

>the excitement was not knowing what I would find on the trail
yea. wait until you have been hiking regularly for a year or two. eventually you just know the whole area. for hiking to be sustainable you need to live in a really special area.

Fuck that m8. I'll stick to tourist traps on not go off path.

I want to visit the big parks but don't want to burn myself out from enjoying smaller ones too.

Attached: predator cloak.jpg (1280x720, 283K)

that's another thing, once you go hiking abroad it's hard to be interested in what's around you locally

absolutely this. only went hiking a couple of times in my area and I feel like I've been everywhere around here

Means you don't really like it. I've hiked almost all mountains in my country and spam hiked my local stuff and I still like doing it. It doesn't have to be new all the time. Just fucking walking around in nature and enjoying the forest and mountain is enough.

>lives in an area filled with lots of mountains
gee I wonder why your experience is different from other anons

Hiking is my passion but unfortunately I live in an area where the land is cultivated and flat

Sure go hiking man. Of course running is more intense than hiking, but with hiking you can pair it with training in the gym a lot easier without messing up your day to day recovery. Plus, hiking is simply enjoyable.

Attached: desert-hike[1].jpg (663x444, 434K)

I do, the main tip I got from it is NEVER be the person in the back of the line. Everything else is up to chance, and if you're lucky, you'll end up a topic.

Well sure that helps but I mean you don't need new stuff all the time. Was contesting whoever said that they feel like they saw/did everything after hiking a few times in their area.

Well that sucks

most people don't live anywhere nearly as interesting as somewhere filled with mountains

Hiking is amazing. You won't get bored if you smoke a little weed or get meditative with it and notice the beauty of nature

>smoke a little weed
garbage advice

Anyone want to hike the entire Appalachian trail with me next year? I've never gone hiking but I'm pretty sure I can do it. Old ladies and families with small children have done it. Also looks like a good place to meet filthy hippie chicks

You've never gone hiking? Do you mean backpacking?

I guess that's what I mean. I've never done the living outdoors for an extended amount of time part. I watch videos of how it's done on youtube though and it honestly looks amazing.

it's very comfy. you will really like it. you will meet some hippy chicks out there.the hiking here in northern california is incredible.

hiking is great. it's not really very similar to running though, so it won't make you a better runner outside of the weight loss aspect. also people get really weird about footwear but just wear whatever is comfortable (including sandals, weather permitting) unless you actually understand why you're specializing. however, just like running, the more miles under your belt, the better. if the terrain is rough, bring a hiking stick/pole or make one yourself.
i live close to the AT and plenty of state parks, so that's not always so true. i think the bigger problem is that running is far more convenient since you can do it almost any place and time.
yes, the patterns in nature will restructure your perceptions, don't even need drugs or techniques.

Attached: delaware-water-gap.jpg (1500x609, 176K)

Is the App trail completely casualized the same way Everest is?
I'd love to do it at some point but going single-file with a bunch of eco-thots taking selfies seems like it would kill the magic

Just be aware that it is a very different type of movement. I can’t run because of a knee injury as well and hiking is fucking great. If you have the funds for a pack and shelter, etc, backpacking is the next step and is one of the most rewarding activities in my life.
The first hike of the year always fucks with my knee but it sorts itself quickly.

Most people fail. There's also some fucked up culture about how easy it should be and just pushing through pain or whatever. Well many people get wrapped up in that and permanently damage themselves.
So if you're truly serious, start training now.

No it isn't. Get a couple field guides to local flora and fauna and learn about your habitat. You will start to notice certain species of birds, animals, trees, plants, mushrooms etc. Things will stand out that you never noticed before.

From what I've seen, you can do it with a group of people if you want to. But it's also possible to be completely alone out there. You can set your own pace and don't have to wander with the herd. Lots of people pair up and just hike with one or two other people they get along with.

>wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/
It's extremely casual. It depends on when and where you go, but there's going to be a 'bubble' of thru-hikers doing the traditional northbound trek. It's no so crowded though that you have to stand in lines.

Backpacking sounds fun but there are a lot of weird people out there. I'd have to go in a group.

Man I'd love to do something like that but I'm a giant anti government racist so I know if I met up with any of your guys you'd end up being feds trying to entrap me. Damn shame though

Damn that looks comfy