Chin Ups vs Pull Ups

Are Chin Ups good for back development? I know that they have more bicep activation compared to Pull Ups but to me they just feel more natural. Are they still good for back hypertrophy?

Attached: Chin-up-vs-Pull-Up.jpg (790x410, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twentypullups.com/the-training-program/
t-nation.com/training/pull-ups-vs-chin-ups
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Chin ups aren't as efficient at building muscle in the back as pull ups are

Wrong

neutral grip, one handed.

It took me a really long time just to be able to do one chin up because I started out obese. I've lost 100 lbs but I seem to be capped at 4-5 chin ups per set and I haven't been able to increase my number for months. Is there anything I should be doing other than losing more weight? 6'4'' 200 lbs. I do the lat pulldown as well, since I don't get enough volume from 4x4 chins

wide grip pull ups are even harder for me

How often do you do chins and how many sets do you do?

Chinups for Arms and Pullups for Back.
That being said Chinups are much more fun for me.

twice a week, 4 sets per day

From what I've read chins give the same activation + bicep involvement but don't allow you to do quite as many irl pull ups which are harder with less bicep engagement.

According to science you need 40%of max load minimum to provoke protein synth. So chins are better by default unless you don't want bicep activation.

However irl being able to do more pull ups will help more if you're being chased or if you need to pull yourself up from something.

twentypullups.com/the-training-program/
I had great success with this program. went from 8 pull ups max effort to 17 at the end. 230lb body weight.

Pull ups target my forearms more. Only noticeable difference for me

>Chin ups focus more on the biceps and latimus dorsi (ur lats brah, them wings)

>Pull ups shift focus more towards the rear delts, brachioradialis, traps, and teres major(upper part of ur lat bro)

Do both, I like to load my chin ups real heavy for absolute failure at 6 reps with a bit of cheating the positive portion on the last few, when I do pull ups I keep them around 8-10 reps and shift focus a bit towards the contraction

Ive been stalling on about 10 reps for so long, should I just use some extra weight for a while? Will that help me get more reps without extra weight?

Why do charts that show muscles worked for pullups never show triceps?

Anyone here do pull-ups with restriction weight, like in a backpack or something? I’ve been doing 8-10 sets of 3-5 reps with 55 pounds of free weights in a backpack for like a year now.

Attached: A7C2D2F8-0C78-449E-B404-6D6E6FDC1BD3.jpg (621x800, 72K)

do pull-ups work triceps? i’m not aware

ive only been doing pullups and recently got to 3x5. Theyre fucking hard so dont laugh. i dont like chinups cause i feel like theyre much harder? i wanna switch to chinups cause you said it targets the lats. i need more lat work and my traps are getting bigger already..
do you think i can also do 3x5 but on chinups?

pull-ups definitely work lats too man, lol

really? then why the hell dont i see at least a hint of lats muscle on me then? lmao or they really just take time? my traps blew up so fast

Sure as hell that's where I feel them.

Do both, do neautrals, do all of them

The act of bringing your elbow from above your head to behind your back requires activation of the tricep. You are my alone with that tricep pump after a heavy set of weighted pulls

For pullups, or on chinups too, do you have to bring yourself as down as possible and your arms straight as possible every rep? I find it easier when i dont lower myself that much each rep

Grip width is far more important in back activation than grip orientation.

Add volume by doing the Russian Ladder pullup thing. I went from doing 5 to 10 with that one, then started adding weight. Now I'm doing 22 easily, or 3x8 with a pl8.

chinups put your lats in a more advantageous position to exert maximal force, the position of the humerus also allows for a bigger stretch at the bottom of the movement. the fact you utilize your biceps instead of the brachialis as a secondary mover allows for larger rep ranges and more volume for your back

chin ups are superior in every way

Wrong. Both have the same amount of lat activation

Attached: 1552238402914.jpg (601x601, 19K)

that's called a dead hang
sure it's easy not to dead hang after every rep, but then you're missing the deep stretch which is very beneficial to gains
proper form is a dead hang at the bottom and a slight pause at the top

This desu, even based Jeff recommends them

t-nation.com/training/pull-ups-vs-chin-ups

Suck my cock faggot

Literally the first thing
>Research says the pull-up and chin-up are equally effective.When it comes to activating the lats and traps they both work.

What is dip belt

Why do you have to choose one? Do both plus the neutral grip. They're all really good.

Attached: 1a5a009a83f8be9185c42f9a50f76347-imagepng.png (1200x1319, 510K)

Does anyone else do mixed grip

Pull ups and dips. Every other day for next 60 days

Are pullups really this hard for people? I've been able to do at least 10 since I was a total DYEL and worked up to 50 lb weighted sets in no time. And my back is still extremely small. Why are these so difficult for people?

Attached: 1564088890345.jpg (720x524, 47K)

Most people aren't dwarves

if you're overweight it's very difficult

The reason your chin ups aren’t good for back activation is because you’re not pinching your scapula together and dropping them back and tucking your ribs.

It’s much easier to have protracted scapula in chin ups and easier to do what I mentioned above in pull ups. Just try it and thank me later.

Lats cover a very large area and they're on your back. They absolutely take time to grow noticeably.

I'm 5"11 king of manlets. Bulking now but usually hovered around 150.
I figured most of Jow Forums was skinnyfat, not regular fat.

Im on program to do pullups and dips every other morning (i have a tower in my bedroom); should i do them every morning?

Pullups are especially hard for anyone that's overweight. They get absurdly easy for lanklets, every skinny guy I know can do 10 reps per set. It's kinda like OHP in that the muscles involved are in a smaller range and are specifically ones that most people let atrophy since we sit around at desks all day.

Do both ffs

Tie weights around your waist
I use a rope belt, nothing fancy
Start light 5lbs, get up to your unweighted max
Up to 10lbs, get up to your unweighted max
Keep going up and up
Eventually try unbelted, watch as you do 6 gorillion pullups.

get a fucking belt moron and do some progressive overload

I tore my rotator cuff in July doing chin ups "for a change of pace." Never had an issue through years of pull ups.

>then why the hell dont i see at least a hint of lats
add weight

someone wasn't doing their facepulls

Attached: fds.jpg (300x300, 16K)

Every muscle in your back gets worked on a pull up or a chin up but they focus the the load differently, if pull-ups are easier than chin ups you have weak biceps and possibly weak lower lats

if you're challenging yourself then there's no need to do them every day. Unless you're doing something like the Fighter Pullup Program, which I recommend cause it's fucking rad.

Dude just keep doing them and you'll get better. The extra bodyweight will only make your progress better
I can do 8x12 chin ups and I'm @230lbs.

Chin ups: kind of like the bench press. A king. Doesn't bow to anyone. Lives life how he wants it. Everyone knows about him and wants to be him.
Pull ups: kind of like chest flys. Simply an accessory. Just a servant. Maybe a companion to the king at best. Bows to some people and has some people now to him

Not everybody started as a skeleton bro

Attached: 59CFDA4C-C83B-4915-B37E-48F24317E56A.jpg (1091x1006, 556K)