/MAG/

/MartialArtsGeneral/. Discuss fighting and training.

Is a neck harness a good investment for BJJ or am I good with just wrestler's bridges?

Attached: 1566238073242.jpg (800x800, 452K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s
teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club
youtube.com/watch?v=wPIJESPMHpI
forums.t-nation.com/t/adapting-westside-for-bjj/202048/12
youtube.com/watch?v=xL9TDcXvDCw
youtube.com/user/TheDaruDiet
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why does it put kung fu as purely striking in japanese Gis?

Bump

I have never been in this general before. Isn't it more appropriate in /sp/?
I would love to learn kickboxing or just boxing, but I've never fought before and I'm 24 y/o. I just want to learn a martial art to defend myself if needed, and some type of boxing would be cool to learn (love watching boxing fights and learning about all the techniques and different punches you can pull)

Attached: 234234234.png (741x568, 23K)

/sp/ is only about watching sports and /asp/ is only wrestling/WWE stuff, hence Jow Forums. We had some good threads lately.
Just go to a try out class of boxing or kickboxing/Muay Thai. You're never too old to learn and they provide great cardio and confidence gains, aside from learning to beat people up. Some anons told me that the best time to start is 10 years ago, the second best time is today. Go sign up for a trial class.

People who lift and do martial arts are bad at martial arts

Attached: pro powerlifter wants to box but his muscles won't let him.webm (480x270, 1.91M)

Don't do kickboxing and muay thai if you're looking for a sport.
It's fucking gay, 90% of the time you'll be blocking or hitting while being hit. The other 10% you might parry.

Boxing is the sweet science sport where head movement is allowed due to restriction of kicks and knees. It allows for lots of dodging and playful freedom.

Unless you're some street tough faggot then you should learn muay thai so you can low kick people in street fights.

If not bait, elaborate please. Why would doing both, while having a consistent focus on MA be bad?

Boxing has a greater percentage of blocking than kb and mt. It's not like that really matters when you're a ways away from sparring.

Attached: 1533441519293.jpg (2048x1364, 431K)

If you want to be competitive, you'll need to have converted most of your fast twitch muscle fibers into type 2a. If you weightlift you won't be allowing this training adaptation and keep your fast twitch type 2b fibers to keep weightlifting heavy. These fibers are bigger in size and fatigue much faster. After a few punches you won't have the oxygen to punch hard anymore. AKA gassing. If you've never experienced this, go for some sprints and then try to do pull ups when you're tired from sprinting. That's what it feels like. Also only fast twitch type 2a along with your liver can convert lactic acid for more ATP. Guess what, all that lactic energy you piled on your fast twitch type 2b will make you feel like absolute shit while his type 2a will keep using that shit for more energy. Also bigger muscles use up more oxygen and glyogen, which leads to faster gassing as well.

Anyone who does both is just coping or uneducated or just dumb and wanna do things their own way.

We have over 1000+ examples of pro boxers who pretty much do the same routine. What makes you think your little deadlift will make you special? Pete Rubbish had a 800lbs raw deadlift around 216lbs and youtube'd about how he was humbled by 150lbs mma kids in the class he joined.

You wanna be a good fighter? Pick up some resistance bands. Do contraction speed training. Hit the bags. Don't lift weights.

>Boxing has a greater percentage of blocking than kb and mt
If you've seen at least 10 of each matches you'd know you're wrong

boxing has significantly less blocking, and a higher dodging % than kickboxing and muay thai where it's 90% braced blocking

Is that only boxing or does this also apply to things like grappling and BJJ? Also, what about pros who train weights as well? Do they simply train differently than the average fitizen or what? Not trying to bash, just curious

Any good martial arts videos that demonstrates all the techniques of that style like this video?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

The principal is the same for all endurance sports, but you can't forget that people do steroids. Jon Jones was powerlifting a shit load when he was juicing. But now Jon Jones works with resistance bands and beat Thiago Santos who did power snatches. I also know GGG does some dumbbell shoulder press not heavy, but that's like 1% of his workout.

Sports like football where you burst then pause can benefit huge from weightlifting. But BJJ matches are 15min straight.

Would someone who has competing/getting good in BJJ then be better served by doing cardio alongside going to BJJ? And would long and steady cardio then be better?

I think if you want to be an elite level, you'd need to run 5 miles in about 30 minutes alongside your training. But yeah, cardio and working on technique is better than weight lifting to get better at BJJ. If anything do some face pulls to strengthen up your upper back and rotator cuffs and grip.

>if you want to be an elite level, you'd need to run 5 miles in about 30 minutes alongside your training
Not sure if you're serious, sorry.
>If anything do some face pulls to strengthen up your upper back and rotator cuffs and grip
Is that better with bands or weights?

You need an aerobic pace that produces a lot of lactic acid. Having a 6 min mile pace will do it for you. I currently only do 4 miles in 30 minutes about 3 times a week.

Some old boxing legends like Joe Frazier would wear boots while running because it's heavier. And since the weights on the bottom it's not gonna do shit to his joints.

You can use either cable machines or resistance bands.

Ok, to summarize, the optimal gameplan to get good at BJJ is as many classes as possible in combination with steady state cardio and some resistance bands. Also, how often should you stretch and foam roll and such? Every day?

oh yeah, stretch and foam roll everyday.

I'd been neglecting my stretches, but pros stretch before running all the time.

The entire "don't static stretch before working out" is based on optimal muscular contraction for 1 rep strength. It shouldn't apply as much to endurance sports where you need flexibility like BJJ.

Just to give some anecdotal evidence.

>A chechen friend and me never did mma or similar a few years back, but we always could fight somehow. One day we decided to fuck some people up that had proper training. We went to the next mma gym with people that won national and international championships. We nearly killed them in the cage withing half a minute.

Now I don't say that proper training wint raise your chances in winning/surviving a fight in general, but keep in mind that the element of surprise and a few gifted people will always fuck you up.

Also
>Baki the grapple
The only thing that is true is that the most skilled fighters are not the ones you see in TV.

Thanks familia. Should you stretch before and after running? Or just one of the two?

that depends on you man, can you easily get the rubber guard in? if not, stretch more often.

once you get to a certain level of flexibility you
barely feel anything while stretching and improve very little anyways

Thanks man. I also wanted to ask what the role is of (hill) sprints or intervals in running preparations for BJJ? Also, what is your BJJ/MA level atm?

I wanna get into Krav Maga but I'm a scrawny son of a bitch and only just started hitting the gym regularly. Is it worth it to make a good amount of gains before starting?

i started with muay thai and did 2 fights, got sick of fighting at 170lbs and did an amateur mma at 155lbs, dehydrated too much for the fight and injured a rotator cuff for a few months, switched completely to boxing now, will compete again when I'm 150lbs. As for BJJ and grappling I did high school wrestling and no-gi grappling classes as a bonus for going to that gym when I was doing muay thai. So no belt for me.

hill sprinting just adds the amount of lactic acid in your quads, training lactic threshold is important for combat sports.
Remember that t.v. show called Fight Science or some shit? They had a BJJ guy come in and do a RNC for a few minutes, and they tested his lactic acid levels. It went down as the choke went on. If you condition yourself with training like doing wall sits or hill sprinting you'll see benefits from it.

Don't waste your money and pick something that isn't LARPing for soccer moms

whats wrong with krav maga? what would you recommend? i honestly havent looked into it much

What are your goals for martial arts?

It's role playing.

>what would you recommend
Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, MMA, wrestling, judo, bjj. Something with live sparring.
Those are usually your options, might be something more depending on where you live.

That's the optimal gameplan to be a boxer forty years ago more than it is for bjj.

Nothing if your goal is to beat up unarmed women and children . Almost everything if you actually want to fight

i'm looking to be a cop (from what i've studied lots of modern cops learn a bunch of krav maga in training) and I'm just trying to get an edge on other people before I actually get into academy. i've never been fit or strong so i suppose im just trying to compensate for never living that kind of lifestyle.

krav maga is perfect for cops

just don't let the cameras catch you kicking people in the nuts and chopping their throats.

>That's the optimal gameplan to be a boxer forty years ago more than it is for bjj
What would you recommend then?

Why are boxing gyms full of dumb people? The gym i was going to was "yeah bro, I'am better than you, i got drunk so much last friday" this are the only words i got out of them.

find a usa boxing sanctioned gym

teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club

if it's a sanctioned gym it's more likely to have competitors and pros instead of your weekend warriors who just wanna slop spar

A deep study of deescalation tactics and then a grappling style. Kravs core theory is overwhelming violence with a greater violence which basically admits it's for beating the shit out of smaller weaker people. Which is basically the pr nightmare a cop should be avoiding.

You need a strength component with a focus on pulling motions

Yeah, can i get the green card first, please?

neck bridges needs more time to learn because high risk.

I train my neck with plates on my head and use harnass for neck extensions

One of my old ex-cop high school teachers says Aikido is good, is there any validity to that?

>Aikido is good
The only thing you'll be good at is falling properly when someone who actually can grapple grabs you

Damn it. I keep hearing different things from different people and I really don't know what's best anymore. What the other user said makes sense and endurance and such is always good. However, strength is also good to have and it's fun and nice to be able to pass guard by overpowering more experienced people.
Is there any definitive 'proper approach' to getting good at BJJ? And if so, is it with weights, cardio, or both? Also, does this differ with each weight class? I'm 6'3, 220-230lbs, so is my goal approach different than the user who fights at 150lbs?

At this point in time aikido is more an expression of intangible cultural heritage than a martial art. Just do judo or bjj mate

You need both however which you prioritize will be based mostly on what you're best at .

Stop getting ahead of yourself and just go to class. You'll get good at bjj by training bjj, lift weights if you want to, it helps.

>tfw I unironically killed someone in self-defense recently

I wish I was meme'ing right now. Police let me go after like less than 4 hours of interrogation.

Attached: i-never-asked-for-this-feel.png.png (500x500, 92K)

tell us more user

Attached: golly.jpg (640x723, 83K)

>Went shopping out to have dinner with sister, mom and nephew
>It gets late when we decide to leave
>Drunk guy approaches my nephew and starts rambling at him, I move my nephew away and tell the guy "Come on man go away"
>He starts following us for a few meters, I turn around and ask him what his problem is
>Unironically starts threatening me saying he'll kill me
>"Come on man what's wrong with you, we're just having a nice night out, stop harassing us"
>Family starts going apeshit and saying "Just let it go"
>Guy pulls out a knife and calls my sister a whore
>I'm in absolutely shock, push my family back (all three of them at once, no idea how)
>Take an immediate step forward, hit him with the classic one-two left/right
>He falls down really hard on the pavement, slams his head really hard
>Picks up knife and gets up again, staggering the entire time, goes towards me again, barely standing
>Straight jab him in the head 3 times and left hook to temple/jaw
>Staggers backwards and slams his head into a street lamp whilst falling down
>Starts convulsing
>Police arrive literally less than a minute later because someone called them probably
>They call an ambulance
>A lot of witnesses immediately tell them what happened.

Yeah bro if you aren’t a professional making a living off fighting don’t worry about it man. If you like lifting weights then fucking lift weights, do jiujitsu, do cardio too. Make it as enjoyable as possible for yourself.

You better go tell pretty much the entire grappling world they're doing it wrong.

What are some essential supplements for martial arts?

Good food my friend. Creatine is okay too.

Whatever that one guy at your gym was taking when he won that one match that to this day he swears by and has to tell every beginner about

Training in martial arts always makes me feel self conscious

>Also
>Baki the grapple
>The only thing that is true is that the most skilled fighters are not the ones you see in TV.
>Baki the grapple
>Unironically trying to use anime to back up how tough you are
Now I know this is a LARP.

What are they doing wrong? Highest leveled grapplers like Benson Henderson goes on runs very frequently.

And I'm willing to bet the top 10 grapplers at any legit gym don't even go past 2 plate deadlift because the transference isn't there.

Why? Sparring and training is basically the only time I'm not shitting on myself.

Hey man you're going to get a lot of different advice because everyone thinks they know how to train something without experience. Like the fat old guy at the commercial gym talking about his golden days where he supposedly had the sickest 6 packs.

Just go to your gym and ask the best grapplers how much they deadlift, or row as a training routine. I'm betting very few of them lift past 2 plates.

It's a constant reminder of how weak I am. I get depressed just thinking about it desu

lmao idk if its true but is fucking funny

Attached: 1561746052865.gif (368x280, 211K)

Lifting light=/= not lifting at all which is what the one guy was advising . Hence the sarcastic remark that he should tell everyone they're wrong for lifting

Judo or BJJ. Wrestlings good but id want a little bit of knowledge of submissions before I become a cop. I'd recommend judo only cause it's cheaper and has a greater emphasis on pins, which would be important for a cop

You should quit

>And I'm willing to bet the top 10 grapplers at any legit gym don't even go past 2 plate deadlift because the transference isn't there.
You can't possibly be serious. Deadlift is by far the most useful lift for grappling, it's nothing short of a cheat code.

t. Been grappling for a decade, part of a team with international top fighters, know a bunch more, and they lift - period.

I told him to do strength training with resistance bands and to do some heavy face pulls.

Strength training with bands > training with weights.

Oh here's Khabib running, doing strength training with stability shit, and practicing. Where is his deadlift?
youtube.com/watch?v=wPIJESPMHpI

You absolutely should not quit, you should spar more (lightly). Even if the guy beats your ass, you'll get a few good hits in and it'll boost your confidence in your abilities. Also if you go to any half decent school they'll give you all the pointers you could want

>Deadlift is by far the most useful lift for grappling, it's nothing short of a cheat code.
You have never rolled in a BJJ class.
I can say that with 100% confidence.

At the first sign of physical confrontation, my legs tremble and my first instinct is to get out of there. I couldn't strike someone without mental barriers holding me back. Am I fucked for life, lads?

forums.t-nation.com/t/adapting-westside-for-bjj/202048/12

>All that said, I am a much better (and stronger) grappler now with a shitty 120kg squat, than I was with a 150kg squat. BJJ is about technique and endurance (both cardio, and strength endurance). Strength helps, but not as much as those, AND you can develop a decent amount of strength through simple methods like hard drilling/sparring, calisthenics, sled work etc.

>FYI: Best guys I’ve rolled with? None of them lift for strength (I’m talking world class grapplers). Strongest guys I’ve rolled with? No heavy weight training.

It's good that someone said this unpleasant truth. I know Candidate to Master of Sports in freestyle wrestling (it's analogue of USA D1 level) who never lifted weights and who think you just need some rounds of push ups pull ups rope climbs and jumps for muscle endurance. He says if you have time and thinking of lifting weights you better spend this time for drilling and sparring.

nah i've accidentally knocked down and hurt about 3-4 people during my first 2 years of muay thai

you get over it the more times you do it

I straight up can't throw shots to the head in sparring, light contact or not. You really don't need to overcome that mental barrier, just do bag and mitt work and spar non contact, there's typically someone who will be willing to just throw combos with you.

2/10 got me to reply

i can tell this guys a "check-let" and has eaten a lot of leg kicks crys about it

Very normal, the more you go the more you get used to it. I use to feel like that every single time i went to spar but once i got started the feeling goes away. Still to his day I get extreme nerves when im sparring, Way more so then even my fights.

I used to cry when I get hit (by parents or bullies) and this sort of continued till I was 16.
Haven't been hit since and I'm now 23.
If I get hit now will I still cry or will I have out grown it? Can anyone relate?

Only way you can tell is by getting hit and finding out.

I've been doing muay thai longer than you even knew what muay thai was.

Boxing is just a superior sport to me, all the head movement and counter hitting is like falling in love.

youtube.com/watch?v=xL9TDcXvDCw

Tell me that's not beautiful.

Attached: hurr.jpg (3010x2825, 1.91M)

Had tried out Kyokushin karate from previous week and found out that it is very cardio heavy like Muay Thai and I gas out often but I keep trying with training.

Today I'm gonna try out Kali or FMA in same dojo with Kyokushin. Is Kali or FMA are equal hard as Kyokushin and Muay Thai?

Attached: FMA_sticks.jpg (300x222, 9K)

So your telling me if you started using the "beautiful" head movement in the exact same way as the video in a sparring session with someone youd call your equal you wouldnt get head kicked into another dimension?

Why would you kick in a boxing fight?

Do you poke eyes and kick nuts during muay thai fights?

They're sports with rules. You're not even really fighting anyways, in a real fight you'd end up banging someone's head on concrete and end up in prison for life.

Cant argue that

Seeing a lot of people having a discussion if you should or should not lift weights for martial arts. I wondered the same but then i stumbled on to this youtube channel, the guy who runs it is one of the main Strenght and Conditioning coaches at ATT, one of the biggest and most popular MMA camps in the world. He doesn't only train MMA fighters, but also boxers, grapplers and judoka's. Here's the channel: youtube.com/user/TheDaruDiet or just look up phil daru on youtube.

I lifted a lot from 16 to 19, but decided to get into martial arts (boxing, kickboxing a little bit of judo). Recently competed in an amateur boxing tournament for students, and when i was preparing for it i used his methods of training to increase my stamina and explosiveness, while keeping on some muscle mass during the necesarry dieting down to make the weight. It is true that strenght training should not be a priority when you want to get better in your martial art, but i do think it helps with explosiveness and joint health and such. Thats just my 2 cents to the whole discussion.

I love Daru. He’s got great information and the videos he uploads of pro fighter training sessions is awesome.

Could anyone describe to me the most basic and/or essential grappling techniques? Working on a TTRPG and I know nothing about grappling.

practice a single leg takedown 100 times everyday

make sure the guy you're practicing with knows how to crossface his thumb against your nose so you get in the habit of avoiding the crossface

because the creator wanted it to look good obviously
but that came at the cost of accuracy

>Converting fast twitch muscle fibres
>Weightlifting will negatively impact MMA performance because of this
Aaah the nostalgia. I remember being 13 surprisingly well

Do boxing gym bros like in Ippo exist in real life or is that a fiction?

>should not be a priority when you want to get better in your martial art, but i do think it helps with explosiveness and joint health and such.

pretty much; there's a reason that basically every grappling style the world over has some sort of weighted training from the clubs and maces of india to the jars of okinawa to the oh shit what the fuck are you doing chinese version of a kettlebell called the stone lock to the common barbell of western wrestling .

>I know Candidate to Master of Sports in freestyle wrestling (it's analogue of USA D1 level) who never lifted weights and who think you just need some rounds of push ups pull ups rope climbs and jumps for muscle endurance.
I think this approach is common for Eastern Europe countries. I asked Master of Sports in wrestling how should I improve my physique for wrestling and he suggested me to start from 10 rounds of 15 bodyweight squats, 10 push ups and 5 pull ups and gradually increase it to 20 rounds.

>It is true that strenght training should not be a priority when you want to get better in your martial art, but i do think it helps with explosiveness and joint health and such. Thats just my 2 cents to the whole discussion.
Thanks for the contribution. I know it shouldn't be a priority, but I just want to figure out what I can do alongside BJJ to get better and get good, and whether cardio or weights are the better option for that

If I want to combine lifting and BJJ, is it a better idea to go for strength routines like 5/3/1 or look for something like a PHUL with more hypertrophy? What about if I want to lift twice a week?

Play around bro see what you like. 5/3/1 is good because it’s designed with athletes in mind. I like BBB

I'm starting to put together a /mag/ info library. Post shit you want to see in there, like book scans or youtube videos.

Attached: 1556986334048.png (1024x752, 731K)

Why isn't this thread called /MMAG/ or /UFCG/ already? It's literally the same BJJ/Boxing/MT discussions over and over.

After seeing all this discussion about lifting and cardio and BJJ, I started wondering at what level lifting becomes really beneficial for BJJ. Is it useful in the first few months of starting? Or is it more beneficial after half a year to a year?

Nobody tell this guy that heavyweight divisions are a thing

Well done

If you're making an RPG you have the budget to buy some books on grappling basics.

I did PHUL with BJJ for a while and ended up overworking myself to the point of injury, so I switched to 5/3/1.

He's talking about shit like dungeons and dragons dude.
Not sure what system your using, but you could probably set up two types of grapple moves like a takedown and a throw. Make it so the takedown has lower stat requirements compared to a throw to be successful, but a throw does more damage. Also could maybe add a choke for knocking an opponent out, and a joint lock(eg. Armbar, shoulder lock, leg lock etc.) for damage and inflict a crippling effect. Not really an expert on ttrpg so not sure how in detail you want to get or what you're looking for.