I don't understand these things. I can do it for an hour and it feels like I've not done anything...

I don't understand these things. I can do it for an hour and it feels like I've not done anything. Are they a complete meme?

Attached: file.png (425x264, 64K)

Yes.

Unless you're literally just sitting there I don't see how that's possible.

You're doing it wrong.

You're obviously not applying ANY intensity if you can row for an hour and feel nothing. On the other hand, if that's true you need to immediately join a rowing club and skyrocket to the top of the sport.

Well obviously I feel a bit tired and a bit sore, but it doesn't feel like cardio and doesn't feel like I'm training muscles either. All other exercises make me really feel them and this doesn't.

row harder faggot

Thats not how the resistance works.

Try to keep a sub- 1:50/500m split for an hour and get back to us pussy. You're probably pulling a 3:00 split

No, you probably just have no idea what you're doing. If you don't row for a team or club, that's probably the case. Please look up a tutorial instead of being the faggot that sits down, cranks the resistance to 10 and spazzes around for two minutes like a retard outta water

2:05 after 20m fucking kills me, I'm dying just thinking about 1:50 for an hour

Attached: 9c0.jpg (426x341, 31K)

you clearly aren't doing it right then, for starters, if you don't do another exercise that contracts your legs to that degree your quads will be sore for days from doing HIIT on it for 20 minutes, let alone an hour, what did you do go 1mph on it?

I only have access to a magnetic resistance rowing machine. Can I use it the same as one of the air resistance ones?

to expand on this, the first time I did it I did 3.4 miles in 30 minutes in the form of HIIT, and I had doms in my quads for a full week, and I squat to parallel and do deadlifts and whatnot, nothing else puts your calves touching your hamstrings like that that I can think of with resistance

we have water rowers and they are pretty great

Come back when you can do 2000m in under 7 minutes.

Attached: 1552945036332.png (257x474, 134K)

bros i just pulled a 22:15 6k split 1:51.5
is it over for me

That's not bad, should have a shot at the women's team

Put it on maximum resistance and the screen on calorie counter mode. Row at 900+ calories p/h and tell me you're not dripping with sweat

It is literally how the resistance works.

You wouldn't drive a car at 3 gallons per hour or ride a bike at 10 calories per minute, why do people row this way?

This. I've hit 1600 cal/hr on a sprint. Aim for that and then tell us you don't feel it.

Ever have a problem with the straps coming loose? About to attach some fucking ratchet straps to mine.

>Put it on maximum resistance
Aren't you never supposed to do this though?

I rowed a 2k in like 6.39 at competition

you can adjust the resistance with a knob close to the fan

crank it the max and try to keep pace and you'll definitely feel it

I believe that's what they have on them at the gym

You should be able to row properly without straps. If you're relying on the straps to crank out strokes and stop you flying back off the seat your form is wank.

Trying rowing 500m in 1:29, then tell me if rowing is a meme.

Also if you cant keep a sub 1:40 split are you even trying?

>t. Guy who rowed his last semester in college

Yes, settings 3-4 best simulate on-the-water conditions. Setting 10 is obscenely painful if rowing for long periods of time.

People only rarely do pieces lasting an hour, normally they are broken up and are also done at a lower intensity.
>Tfw doing ss at a 1:53-1:58, varying with rate and intensity, from 10-20k
Its a pain in the ass
BTW if serious about erging/rowing, do longer workouts based upon Heart Rate or intensity, don't stare at the split on pieces that aren't tests/pr attempts.

Attached: 1566774609503.jpg (1110x1239, 152K)

Your form is almost certainly jank. What was your strokes per minute? 20? Were you just going for a gentle cruise down a stream? Anyway, rowing is a three-motion process: 60% of the strength comes from the legs, 20% from the core, and 20% from the arms.

You start first in the catch position, legs pulled up, arms straight, back straight but leaned inwards slightly. Then, you push with the legs, so that they are almost completely straight but with a slight bend in your knees (don't move any other part of your body). Then, swing your chest back (arms still straight), and finally pull in your arms, pretending to hold a tennis ball between your shoulderblades. Then repeat those 3 steps in reverse, and so on. Simple as

Attached: gayrower.jpg (564x1126, 87K)

When I did row we set up with the 'display drag factor' option and aimed for around 136

Keep a 1:40 for how long?

Two fatasses in the engine of our 8+ can keep 1:49 for 100 minutes, they're far above 100 kg though

because they're not driving a car or riding a bike you clueless retard.

Is it good to row 1000m at maximum effort frequently? I can row it at around 3:02, but I feel like I'm dying afterwards. Does it get easier or workouts like that shouldn't be done often?

I did that beginner pete plan and kept a 2:00 500m base for like 17000m.

It was fun then NYE happened and fags texts on the machine insted of rowing

Depends, it's great for conditioning. If you want to become a faster rower you'll have to train way longer units, around 80minutes with different segments

Rowing is a full body workout, unless you're doing it with high resistance(most probably your machine can't do this) or for retardedly intense sessions they won't give you any meaningful gains.

Great for old people to stay in shape tho - they showed this in house of cards

I do 5000m in 23 minutes with a level 9 resistance.

My first 1000m is done in a 1:45 split. Then I however around 2:08 for the remainder with some minute long breaks where I go about 3:00 at the worst

They're all measured by speed or power output. You measure speed as distance over time or power in watts, hp or joules. No other sport uses the rate of energy consumed as a measure of effort.

Hardest strength-endurance test that exists - wOnT gEt yoU iN shAPe

Attached: Henley95.jpg (406x273, 39K)

I'm not referencing cal/hr in the context of a sport, it's highly relevant when you're trying to get a cardio workout. Below a certain cal/hr threshold, it's barely aerobic exercise, and above it's aerobic. People who aren't feeling a workout from a rowing machine are below their personal threshold. You're either stupid or deliberately misinterpreting what I said

Competitive eating

According to who? Higher the resistance, the more of a workout you're going to get. 3-4 barely provides any resistance, regardless of how closely it simulates water. 9-10 gives you the resistance you need to get a decent HIIT workout. I can't imagine anyone could find 3-4 challenging aside from the elderly. The lowest I've ever found it set in my gym is 7

i think weight and strength can distort the values on the rower machines like how an olyptical makes fat kids think they can run a 6 minute mile because they did it on the machine. ive done it a couple times on max resistance for 30 minutes and ive kept 1:50s. Im 6'4 and was about 125kg, and squat and dead about 260kg. The machine is at least removing my bodyweight from the equation and best probably using it to help keep momentum by kind of bouncing of the foot holds. never really felt hard, rowing in the actual boat would be brutal id imagine at the heavier bodyweight where strength and extra weight is outstripped by sinking the boat deeper into the water

Retard. A race happens around a stroke rate of 32-40, try that and tell me it's not challenging. All competitive athletes nowadays train with a drag factor (concept 2 machine shows it) of approx 130-140, which for everyone is a setting between 4-7, depending on height and weight

True, although competing heavyweights are above 6'3 and weigh above 90 kg. One of the fatties was in the German national eight at one point, which is the best eight right now, I think he was lighter at the time though