/fast/ #482

Watch Dr. Jason Fung's aetiology of obesity lecture series.
youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
Stop eating.
If you want to lift, do so on your refeed days after you eat. If you eat some carbs, you will lift better.
Do low intensity cardio every day to speed fat loss.
If you feel like shit, mix one teaspoon of potassium chloride, one teaspoon of baking soda, and half a teaspoon of sodium chloride in two liters of water.
Sip the water throughout the day. If you drink it too fast, you will shit yourself.
People sometimes call this mixture "snake juice". Really, it's just the necessary electrolytes and water.
Low potassium is the biggest risk of fasting. Don't just use table salt. You need potassium chloride.
On shorter fasts (24 or 48 hours) you probably don't need the snake juice as long as you get enough sodium and potassium in your meals.
If fasting for health benefits, try to not consume anything except the water and electrolytes.
If fasting for weight loss only, zero calorie stuff is okay, but avoid it if you can for health reasons.
Stop eating.
Your liver and muscles store glycogen for energy. This comes from carbs. Your body won't burn fat efficiently until your glycogen stores are depleted.
Glycogen in the muscles is good for lifting. So eat carbs if you are lifting.
If you are sedentary or just doing cardio, avoid carbs for better weight loss.
Stop eating.

Attached: F3A8EDD2-CFAC-40E1-963A-EBA2DADC06A6.png (598x795, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AxV0qKq2UFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pyFdF5J8FqA
youtube.com/watch?v=9Gu6bPeGleg
youtube.com/user/JDCav24/search?query=minute abs
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200511243532124
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-re-feeding-syndrome
youtube.com/watch?v=be1siTRCBAM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I started doing 48's a month ago and lifting on refeed days with high rep 1-2 sets full body every other day. It fucking works so stop eating.

day 6: woke up with a headache and nearly jumped the gun on the refeed but it turned out i was just a little dehydrated. about 3 liters of snake juice later i'm feeling great and there's no way i'm not gonna make it to 1 week now.

For ONE liter of water mix
>half a teaspoon of potassium chloride
>half a teaspoon of baking soda
>quarter of a teaspoon of sodium chloride
This is good enough for me at my sedentary office job. I drink 2 liters on days that I do cardio.

I currently need to lose about 7lb of fat in 9 days. I know this is impossible as I am already fairly lean. If I skip lifting and just fast + cardio how much of my muscle will I lose? I’ve never NOT lifted during a cut or fast but I’ve also never wanted to do it this quickly. I’m just wondering will skipping lifting and doing more cardio help achieve this? I don’t wanna lose muscle although I know a touch is inevitable.

A lb of fat is 3500 kcal. If you need to lose 7 pounds in 9 days you basically have to be at a deficit of more than 2700 for the entire time. So you pretty much have to stop eating and possibly do some cardio on top. Unless you’re mega super obese I would not try this for health reasons and you’ll def lose a ton of muscle

I am about 12-14%. Already pretty lean. I’m used to this method but not this extreme. I’ve never skipped lifting but I am willing to if it’s muscle sparing like they say. I don’t play on losing all 7 or whatever but I do wanna get close.

what lifting routine y'all do when fasting?

Caveat. A pound of pure fat is 3500 calories. A pound of animal fat or a pound of fat cells in the human body is actually a little less

Full body compounds every refeed day

So hard fasting + cardio is not the way to go if I want to spare my muscle while already being leaner than most?

Some swear by only a 500 cal deficit to retain muscle.
Others swear fast is the optimal way to cut the weight off with minimal muscle loss.

Damn it I need to know, which is the superior method?
Does anybody really know for sure? Does it vary person to person?

I think studies show fasting by far but even if this wasn’t true who doesn’t wanna rip the bandaid off faster?

Will I lose a bunch of muscle doing just water fasting and an hour of cardio daily?

I will eat every 2-3 days and lift those days.

I like long term fasting but it kinda kills my progress in the gym, gains don't hurt that much in the long run (at first, longer fasts I definitely think I start losing some muscle).

You will lose less muscle than if you dropped the same amount of body fat doing pure calorie restriction

Good point. I am starting to think the faster cut outweighs any material difference in muscle retention between the two methods.

But just skipping the weights for a week shouldn’t hurt too bad? I’ve worked hard for this an am scared. Wanna be 10% again though and played around too much.

Just do something like omad or omeod, a lot easier to keep up lifts on that.

True. I am gonna take a day of lifting out of my routine and add cardio in place just for the next week or so. I gotta get this fat off and I really hate lifting super fasted.

Why the fuck am I always cold while fasting. My hands feel like ice cubes at work even if I'm wearing a suit

Usually when I'm fasting, the hunger is gone by day 3 but it's the end of day 4 now and I'm still hungry. I've been taking yohimbine and it needs cardio to be truly effective so that might be the issue but I used to lift when fasting and I wasn't hungry (maybe just a bit right after, not throughout the day). And yohimbine itself is supposed to suppress hunger. On top of that, the caffeine isn't really helpful for sleeping, even though I take it in the morning.
It's a bit early to say if I like this or not and how results compare but I'm not enthused to be honest.
>If fasting for weight loss only, zero calorie stuff is okay
Do you have a source for that? Reminder, the goal isn't to lose weight, it's to lose fat. IE, preserve muscle mass. If you make the body think you're eating, won't it think it's ok to catabolize protein again? The way I see it, eating 100g of liver would be preferable to eating 0 calorie peanut butter throughout the day

Nah, a lb of pure fat (say, oil) is a bit more than 4k
I'd say a traditional cut with a fuckton of protein would be more muscle sparing than a long fast, but you'll be done with the fast 5-7 times faster than the cut, leaving you all the more time to get that muscle back.
Just be conservative, lift less than you usually do. You can even test a functional 1rm every day. It's high rep work that will kill your muscles on a fast. Just confirm the status quo and leave it at that

I am living in a shithole, got only potassium chloride in injectable ampoule.

1 ampoule = 10 ml = 764mg of potassium chloride.

How much approx. should I take daily? I plan to mix it in 1l water bottle with 1 tsp of sea salt

5-6 ampoules. You should probably keep looking. No salt substitute?
There's an alternate way. Instead of drinking snake juice, you eat a fuckton of cucumber, well salted and dry fast the rest of the day. Talking about a kilo to a kilo and a half. 200 calories tops, not the best but it's good enough and will keep you hydrated

For now only sea salt but Ill get himalayan pink salt in a few days. Also forgot to mention, taking magnesium pill with vitamin B6 everyday too. Going for 21 day fast, maybe later if ill feel good

*maybe longer

That's normal

Wish me luck bros, I'm a fat fag '5"10 220. Longest water and coffee fast was 10 days. I want 12 this time. Starting today.

Appreciate it. Idc about lifting atm I just wanna lose fat but also not lose much muscle.

i had to break my fast after 6 days because my kidney started hurting :(

Okay, I am 36/m, 5’9.5”, 150lb, and about 12-14% bf with a pretty good amount of muscle. I am not new to fasting on any level but I need to lose as much fat as possible by next Saturday. I sip the snake juice but my chest feels weird after 48hr even with the potassium etc. help me figure out how to cut down as much as I can by then without dying or being awful to my family.

chest feels weird? how?

chest feels weird? how? where?

Am I a fool for doing couch to 5k and starting lifting while on a 30 day fast?

I've been trying to do running on long fasts but I keep feeling awful. Feel free to try but I think it's gonna be a horrible experience. Waiting until you get decently slim then switching to omad is probably a more feasible option.

i think starting to lift while fasting is a bad idea. you need protein to repair your muscles

If I am going to the gym fasted in the morning can I drink my protein right after my workout? (bc anabolic window or whatever) or should I wait until my eating window?

Heart palpitations are common when fasting. Don't push yourself too hard

Why is it that both the tape measure and scale doesn't go down on 72's after being on it for more than a month? My refeeds have been both keto-oriented and at around 1k kcal. I lift and do cardio 3 to 4 times a week.

Why is it that both the tape measure and scale doesn't go down on 72's after being on it for more than a month?(I went from 125 to 112kg) My refeeds have been both keto-oriented and at around 1k kcal. I lift and do cardio 3 to 4 times a week.

Fasting is practically a superpower to normalhomosexuals

Fasting is such a kino way to cut, my last two cuts have been ADF
So fast
Next time I'm gonna do adf 48 hour fasts instead of 36

Can you "cheat" on IF?
I'm currently doing 16:8 and plan on moving on to 19:5 or OMAD soon, but it's family tradition to do a big Sunday dinner, so can I eat OMAD for 6 days then 16:8 on Sundays?

Why not omad and just eat the family meal?

Yeah do this

Kinda weird heart palpitations that even the snake juice doesn’t stop. It’s odd. After I eat it tends to go away but it’s def not hunger. I have long since defeated hunger. Just had a physical recently full panels etc and all was good btw.

161 hours in, only 7 to go now. I'm not sure I'm ever going to want to go past 120 again but it feels nice accomplishing the goal I set out even so.

Down from 197.6 pounds (previous fasted low) to 189.0 this morning. just a few more of these and i'll be down to my goal weight of 170.

I'm gonna be on the road when I break it so catch you bros later!

Just stick to it
youtube.com/watch?v=AxV0qKq2UFQ

fantastic video, thank you. totally life changing

>tfw got from 135 to 88kg ( at 182cm) as of today in about 5 months with even inconsistent as fuck refeeds and barely working out
Fuck fasting is so fucking powerful , I love you so much /fast/ you fucking retards changed my life , I'm still a walking sack of fat because I never had any decent muscle to begin with but at least I ain't a landwhale like before , Im planning to pull two last 7 day fasts to get down to like 80-82kg and then start lifting with intermittent fasting and low carb , I read the Bulgarian manual and watched Cole training routine , so I'm planning on doing a 7-day full body one set workout with some accessory so basically something like :

Bench Press 1x5
Squat 1x5
DL 1x5
OHP 1x5
Curls 1x8-12
Forearm isolation 1x8-12
Ab work 2x8-12
Tricep isolation 1x8-12
What y'all think ?

it sounds like an electrolyte imbalance problem. what type of snake juice are you using?

You're untrained but also were a fat fuck, which means you'll have some semblance of muscle opposed to a starting skelly. So let's say a conservative ffmi of 19. That gives you a lean body mass of ~62 kg. You should aim for ~10% bodyfat, so around 70kg before going on a bulk.
I'd advise a long fast until 80 or so, then something like this youtube.com/watch?v=pyFdF5J8FqA to get down as far as you can
Then try and maintain for a while so that your body is adjusted to that weight youtube.com/watch?v=9Gu6bPeGleg
Then you can consider a cut
Either way, great fucking job man. You lost in a month more than most fat fucks lose in years. You should be feeling on top of the world.
As for the routine, I'd advise something minimalistic like SS, especially during the 321 phase. Ab work shouldn't really be considered a part of the training, you can do it at home youtube.com/user/JDCav24/search?query=minute abs

The recommended

FACT: 99.9% of fit healthy individuals accomplish their goals by eating healthy appropriately-sized portions of food, and working hard everyday.

I'm not anti-fasting (especially for people who are hugely obese and have binge eating disorders), and I have even completed a few very short fasts to challenge my willpower. And I'm glad you all have found your niche and you're all trying to make it..

But some posters ITT who act like fasting on salt water only, for 30 days at a time, for the rest of your life, is the only way to lose weight and be Jow Forums, are brainwashed and narrow minded fools. These posters spend way too much time on youtube watching videos (by posters with credentials/souces you don't vet), and buy it as Gopel. (No different from a cult member or a religious individual.) Take what these posters say with a grain of salt. You should go outside and socialize and spend more time with actual humans living in society, and talk with the Jow Forums people you meet. Ask them what they do to stay in shape. 99% of them will not say they do prolonged snake juice fasts. Try suggesting long term snake juice fasts to Jow Forums people you meet in your day to day life. Get some feedback from Jow Forums people you see in real life, rather than someone posting at a computer.

1/2

Attached: 1553482430163m.jpg (640x539, 53K)

2/2

If you're new to these fasting threads, just be sure to take everything you read with a grain of salt. No one responding to you is a medical professional and just because they watched some video doesn't make the information contained within it correct. Every person is different but 99% of fit and healthy individuals eat healthy and workout daily and don't ever need to try drastic crash diets.

Trial and Error is your friend. Try out a routine for a few months, and if that doesn't work, try something different. I believe Fasting is a last resort after you've tried everything you can.

And NEVER fast because you think it's the easy way out. Many fasters ITT are only fasting because they are too lazy to work hard. Sweating and working out is hard. Cooking homemade healthy food and meticulously tracking your food intake is hard work. Don't chose to fast just because you want to be lazy and lay around all day, because once you finally start to eat again, you will gain back any weight you lost frok living a lazy sedentary lifestyle. Start developing active healthy habits NOW. Dont chose to be lazy your entire life.

Thanks for reading. And be safe. We're all going to make it (but most dont need snake juice fasting to make it)

Attached: 1544502872218.jpg (750x546, 73K)

Fact: you're a faggot and noone cares about your inane posts. Do us a kind and leave

>start out at 96.1 kg
>Do ADF for 2 weeks straight during my summer holiday
>lethargic as fuck on the fasting days despite snake juice, can't do anything productive
>get down to 93.2 kg
>yesterday, eat a meal rich in carbs and 2 pieces of cake at my uncle's birthday party
>weigh in today at 96.3 kg
Th- thanks Dr. Fung, what a life-changing experience.

Attached: speechless_jackfrost.gif (250x188, 445K)

you're holding water weight you retard .
also dont try to take a shortcut to weight loss if you're just going to eat like a slob still

>you're holding water weight you retard
yeah no shit. That was the whole point of my post. I lost some water weight (and probably some muscle) thanks to adf, then gained it all back in one day.

Hey /fast/, I usually intermittent fast, but am looking to do weekly 24h fasts. I am below 10% body fat and need to be lower body for something that is coming up for me. What do you recommend?

I also train MMA and lift, a typical day is lifting for an hour then mma for at least 1 to maybe 3 depending how I feel.

Attached: 477.jpg (548x800, 71K)

cant you just fast on salt+ water instead of snake juice, like, it replenishes your electrolytes
i'm asking this because someone said that if you drink just salt and water during a fast you die, is it true?

Will that Potassium Chloride/Salt/Baking Soda mixture give me enough Salt/Potassium/Magnesium? Or do I need to still get each of those from other sources? Where in that is the magnesium?

Yeah, kinda the best part about IF imo. If you have an event or something where you just eat like a pig all day, you can go right back to your IF schedule the next day and you're back into it. You don't have reset for two weeks like KETO or lose ground like on cico diets.

>two day fast going now
>already feeling weak
I don't think I will make it a whole week bros...

You only need fresh clean water. Only drink when thirsty, don't aim for pointless intake goals.

Potassium is important. More important than sodium if I'm not mistaken. All the other shit is optional (though helpful) but NaCl and KCl are non negotiable
Start exercising. Your body's natural tendency is to cut down on expenditure to preserve itself. But if you tell it that's not an option (by exercising) it will have to wake up. I usually work out from the first day of fasting just to get rid of the glycogen and kickstart ketosis, but this time I couldn't go to the gym for a while. I too was extremely weak and lethargic on the second day so I forced myself to work out. Don't regret it. Though don't go too hard, I've been experimenting with hiit. The first day I was ok but a bit weak. The second day I was weak and kinda nauseous. The third day (today) my heart wouldn't fucking stop beating hard for 10+ minutes after the last cycle. I'm not going to be continuing hiit, from tomorrow I'll just jog
DO NOT WATER FAST
DO NOT
NOT
WATER FAST.
Not for any appreciable amount of time that is. If you fast for a prolonged period of time you can legit end up in the hospital when you eat again. If you taking something like a meal every 48 to 96 hours, you can probably get away with it provided you eat potassium rich-food and salt it well. Otherwise DO NOT PLAIN WATER FAST FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, YOU WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP

going to try fasting (for a little over a week) again bros, I've had a few attemps in the past but am never really able to make it past the third day without eating something. I have all the suppliments that I need for this, anyone have any advice they can give me on making it?

Just fucking do it. It gets easier after the third day, provided you have fat to lose

Stop fearmongering, retard. Read a book.

You can water fast for months safely. Kidneys hold on to electrolytes.

44 day water only fast:
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200511243532124

Cole is not a doctor, has zero credentials, and cites no sources to support anything he says. You're a brainwashed cult member. Please stop.

Attached: serveimage (7).jpg (2105x2560, 417K)

I've read that book there's no true extended fasting. He goes up to 3 days at a time. The protocol that IS for week+ has you drinking bone broth and other low calorie foods. There are multiple cases of people ending up in the hospital after water fasting

To anyone else reading this, of course you can do whatever the hell you want. And it's not certain that you'll get fucked up. But there's a high chance of that happening and if it does, know that it's on you. This thread does not advocate plain water fasting, do it at your own risk

Good luck holding onto any muscle

No, the studies do NOT show trained individuals retaining muscle, just your usual sedentary asshat with no muscle in the first place

Why not just diet like a regular person? Why do Americans love meme diets so much? This doesn't happen where I live

Stop lying.

Refeeding syndrome is caused by depleted phosphorus, which isn't in snake juice.

You'd know that if you'd actually read a fucking book. Dumb brainwashed cult member.

Electrolytes remain stable after months of fasting. Refeeding syndrome is from years of malnutrition. Not fasting.

Stop blindly parroting your cult leader. Anecdotes about people "going to the hospital" are moronic. People go to the hospital after smoking marijuana.

Show ANY evidence of harm from fasting. You can't because your cult leader doesn't. All you do is repeat his lies.

Starting my first 72 hour fast now, most i done was 36 hours but I omad everyday so I'm ready for it, will update.

>482 threads of this and counting
>still no before and after with timestamp showing a successful waterfast by someone that actually lifts

jesus christ how embarrassing, ill just stick to IF retards

Attached: lMd4xI2.png (500x500, 221K)

Here's a good article by DOCTOR JASON FUNG, MD that should be in the OP. The OP should also stop spreading the myth that Cole's laxative water is protective against refeeding syndrome. Refeeding syndrome is caused by low phosphorus.

>Since the daily intake of phosphorus is 1 gm/day, it would take hundreds of days of zero phosphorus intake to produce a significant body deficit. Since almost all foods contain phosphorus of some kind, refeeding syndrome almost always occurs on a background of malnutrition (underweight, anorexia nervosa, alcoholism).

>[...]

>So you can see that one of the key pre-requisites for refeeding syndrome is severe, prolonged malnutrition. How common is it? A study of over 10,000 hospitalized patients only found an incidence of 0.43%. These are the sickest of sick people, but still was found rarely. This is actually on overestimate since it also included diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a different mechanism entirely. The main groups that had this disease? Severe malnourishment and alcoholics
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-re-feeding-syndrome

Attached: fung.png (800x602, 189K)

Do potassium/magnesium supplements actually work? Or do I have to get more through food?

>44 day water only fast:
>nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200511243532124
That guy got refeeding syndrome, you absolute jackass

>Dumb brainwashed cult member
If chink man tells you to commit suicide you 100% would do it

From low phosphorus.

Snake juice has zero phosphorus.

Bone broth has phosphorus.

The fasting fatman fasted for 150 days on snake juice and didn't get it.
Look, I'm not a biologist. Maybe the potassium helps retain the phosphorus. Maybe the fatman lucked out. Point is, I've never heard of a case of refeeding syndrome with snake juice. And provided you don't just chug it like it's water, you won't have any diarrhea. Your obsession against snake juice makes no sense

youtube.com/watch?v=be1siTRCBAM

Fuck I already lost 8 kg during my fast but 5 of those are water weight. Why am I even fasting if I'm gonna get back that water weight as soon as I'm done fasting?

I'm at about 40 hours in, but my teeth feel dirty as fuck, like I haven't brushed in weeks. And yet I brush at least twice a day. Is this normal?

Why is it that when I do a 2-4 day dry fast and I end it by drinking water, I get crazy hungry? It's like that when I do wim hof breathing too. It makes me really hungry.

Keto breath. You get used to it. My mother can smell the acetone in my breath from a mile away

I'm go fucking hungry all the time. Why won't it fucking go away? I'm not that lean yet damn it, it shouldn't be hard yet
This is sissy talk and you know it. If you burned a total of 3 kg fat (which is about a week's worth) then you burned that much. What does it matter how much water weight you lose, that doesn't count. If you had lost 18 kg and 15 of them was water what does it matter?
By the way, I hope you're basing this on a tdee calculation and not some bullshit bf% test.

Attached: 1561291670030.png (800x476, 410K)

Attached: Trips of Truth.png (225x225, 12K)

is this a good source of potassium chloride?

Attached: potassium chloride.png (276x475, 145K)

>is this a good source of potassium chloride?
It's good enough. Personally I buy food grade potassium chloride from Amazon for $20. It doesn't have all the extra shit in it like iodine, etc.

Attached: Boris Godunov.jpg (170x223, 19K)

>Cole is not a doctor, has zero credentials, and cites no sources to support anything he says. You're a brainwashed cult member. Please stop.

Amen

if you take acidic stuff, dont sip/mix it, take it in one go.

He didn't use snake juice. Fuck off Cole.

Yes, it's what is recommended for snake juice

Yeah it's pretty great that doctors and dietitians outright prevented the explosive epidemic of obesity, and the world isn't fat as fuck, thanks do doctors. They'd never let it get like that.

>tfw I think I have refeeding syndrome
>at work I've been forgetting basic things as soon as they happen
>got prescribed thiamine by my gp a few days ago
I've been avoiding having any snake juice because it gives me the shits, I've been water fasting for a few weeks, I've fucked up guys.

I booked a session with my gp for a few days away. This morning I ate two eggs and had a few thiamine tablets, I don't know what to do.

>smoke marijuana
>think I'm dying
Watch out, that stuff is dangerous!

(1) you probably don't
(2) get some sodium and potassium ffs, maybe a multivitamin

two eggs aren't going to kill you. but definitely don't eat a lot of carbs. it's the insulin response that causes refeeding syndrome

? I don't smoke weed. I've legitimately been forgetting things as soon as they happen, now that I think about it this has been happening to me for a few weeks now. This is honestly fucking scary for me.