The Great MSG Debate

Let's settle this debate once and for all.

Is MSG bad for you, Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_8616.jpg (809x606, 170K)

no

/thread

Long answer: Do your own research
Short answer: No. But are you going to listen to someone on an anonymous forum?

Msg being bad was based on some schyzo who hated chinese people, even though MSG isnt exclusively a chinese seasoning lol
Its basically just a type of salt that tastes savory

MSG is completely safe in moderate amounts. There is no known link to any known negative side effects from normal amounts with humans.

Some people report minor side effects like nausea and headaches, if you do find you fall into that category you might have a slight intolerance and should limit use. However this has never been proven in any blind study.

It’s just a sodium salt of glutamic acid and is found naturally in tomatoes, cheese, etc.

Most of the powdered versions are made from edible seaweed.

It’s just an umami enhancer. Try a little on your burger sometime.

Source: Am literally a food scientist.

>food scientist
More like a food kike, BAM

Attached: vidrig4_0.jpg (249x249, 58K)

Wrong.

Chinese foods are a very dishonest cuisine.

They invented a fucking chemical to put in their food to make it delicious, dude.

And they named it "MSG".

That feel whe glutamic acid was discovered by a German scientist.

You really got me there senpai.

yep

yeah the chinese invented bones

MSG stands for mono-sodium glutamate. Sodium is essential for your body's fluid regulation and osmotic processes in cells. Meat, dairy, tomatoes are full of glutamate anyways, it gives you that 'savoury' taste or what is called umami and makes food delicious. Glutamate is a natural byproduct of breakdown of glutamine into glucose and amino acids like arginine. It's not bad or dangerous. The only potentially bad thing about it is increased sodium intake, but it comes down to moderation.

MSG is not that bad in itself and you should have no problem in moderation, but it is somewhat addictive and if you are used to eating it (such as in ready made chicken stock and buillon cubes) then the real thing will not taste as good to you even if its better

if you take in sodium without chloride what happens? i know baking soda turns into regular salt in your stomach but how about msg?

I kind of doubt the food scientist, but he's right. MSG will probably never recover from the bad rap that it got though.

There's a difference between elemental sodium and sodium ions.

yes for example msg is elemental sodium but what does your body do with it? is it like salt and your body can use it or is it just an extra burden on your kidneys?

MSG is not elemental sodium. You need a chemistry lesson and not from an indonesian basket-weaving forum.

Attached: IT'SAFREAKINGMETAL.jpg (1000x750, 167K)

OK BUTTFACE AFTER GOOGLING I FOUND OUT THAT ELEMENTAL SODIUM IS THE SAME AS SODIUM ""IONS""" AND THATS WHY WE CALL SODIUM CHLORIDE SALT AND NOT SODIUM IONS. NOW ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION OR ARE YOU ONOY 6 MONTHS INTO YOUR CHEMISTRY BUTTFUCK WHATEVER DEGREE? YOU KNOW WHAT DONT ANSWER MY QUESTION POST BODY YOU FUCKING DYEL. I WILL DO THE SAME IF YOU ASK

I don't have a degree or even went to uni.
At this point I can't tell if you're a kid or baiting, but I'm not giving middle school chemistry lessons over the internet.

>food scientist
Keep all this trash out of my food please. You're most definitely poisoning us, we just don't know yet which exact chemicals are the wrong ones.

If you can find non anecdotal evidence to suggest it is then please provide it

Same shit, in solution sodium becomes sodium ions, the body uses them all the same regardless if they come from sodium chloride or MSG. Chloride ios play a role in some critical bodily functions however, so witching out regular salt for MSG is a very bad idea.

>some people are affected
>however this hasn't been confirmed in a study so they are just wrong

The real problem with msg is that they only use it on garbage food that is terrible for you because it tells your brain " this is good, keep eating this".

Real food has its own regular levels of msg. If msg is added to a food, its because that food is shitty and wouldn't be palatable otherwise.

It gives some people headaches, but it's been way the fuck overblown as far as being considered terrible for your health.

It also makes food taste amazing.

I don't give a fuck about this thread but god damn i love noodles in that thick sauce

I could literally eat 5lb of that shit. God bless chinks. Never forget pearl harbor tho

I accidentally put msg on my popcorn instead of salt on time. It gave me a massive headache. Since then I try to stay away from that stuff

>food scientist
So a chef?

Nah i think there's an actual uni major people go to where they study food science

It's basically a useless barista degree but this girl i know studies this so i know that shit exists

Just added msg
It's the same with fructose
Isn't bad in fruits with it's fiber, but when added artificially it's horrible

I work with an Asian guy who, surprise surprise, adds MSG to his food. Claims the headaches and shit are overblown but is really just looking to add it to his food because he likes it. Probably helps his diet of rice, rice derivatives, carbs, noodles, carbs, rice, noodles, crunchy carbs, carbs, rice, potato chips, noodles, carbs and noodles taste a little differently. If the cocksucker isn't slurping noodles at his desk (millennial who is addicted to his computer and video games...way to break the mold buddy), he's crunching on random rice based loud crunch treat or potato chips. If it has a crinkly bag, he's in. The louder the crinkly bag and the louder the crunch, the more in love he is with the snack. Oh, did I mention that he's fat?

...I need my own office.

MSG is found naturally in a lot of things so you're already getting a lot of it if you eat a lot of eggs or meats. Adding it might not be the best idea everywhere.

Its not a useless degree at all, you can make bank at pharmaceutical companies. It's in pretty high demand in the US for most chemical related professions.

I think a food scientists has more to do with all the additives you read on labels. Its fucking magic how many shit they manage to add to a simple waffle.