How does one write a novel and get published?

How does one write a novel and get published?

no I won't go on /lit/ it's full of self-important autists

Attached: 1508916113134.jpg (403x389, 18K)

if you don't want advice from autists I don't know why you thought Jow Forums would be a better place to look

1. Take a writing class. Get feedback from your peers and teacher while it's cheap.
2. Write it
3. Send it to publishers
4. Get rejected
5. ???
6. Profit!

There is an absurd amount of competition when it comes to writing. I've had some of my stuff published in the past, but there is an absurd amount of competition to the point where most journals and magazines have something like a .1% to 1% (at the absolute most) acceptance rate for blind submissions.
Sometimes journals or magazines will seek you out and ask for a piece if they like your other stuff, but even that's rare. It helps if you're a minority or write about minorities, as publishing houses will give your materials preference.
I've actually largely given up due to how competitive that the fictional writing space is. It's quite similar when it comes to books. It's a fucking nightmare trying to get the attention of anywhere. You submit your manuscript just about everywhere (unless you're doing targeted submissions), and you'll be blessed if you get one of them to give you the time of day. Statistically speaking, your odds of publication on an unrequested submission are around .1%-1% just due to the sheer volume of competition.
It depends on your background, what you're writing (fiction versus nonfiction), the quality of your stuff, and the subject matter, but your odds aren't good, no matter what. Self-publishing is always an option and is great for getting your material out there, but even that will likely not get you too far.
I've given up on fiction writing just due to how competitive of a space that it is. I was sick of pouring my heart and countless hours into stuff and getting maybe one out of ten of my stories published anywhere.

What did you write about?

My stories, you mean? Generally they were fictional stories of small-town Americana that contained background elements of Christianity or theology. Sometimes they'd have a humorous bend and other times they'd be more serious.

See, my sneaky idea was to write corny love stories with a bit of edginess there and something whimsical here. Then make both main characters the same sex and one or both not white.
Profit?

Try outlining your novel first. Each chapter, just one page. Then expand each chapter into five pages or ten pages or twenty pages or whatever. Then when you're done edit it for tone and flow.

As for getting published. Do research on modern novels with similar types of stories to the one you're writing, and see who published them. Smaller independent publishers tend to accept unsolicited manuscripts, otherwise you might need an agent. Look up a writing magazine, they usually have ads.

/lit/ is full of idiots. I honestly can't stand them.

Consider graphic novel format.

Your odds would go up quite a bit if you utilized homosexual characters or minorities, but even that's not a magic bullet. Especially when it comes to writing an entire novel.
My suggestion to you, in all honesty, would be to start out with a few short stories in the general form that you'd like your novel to take. Submit them to various literary magazines (Submittable is a great resource) and try to drum up some interest for your stuff. Being a "published writer" who's had proven success with and demand your material is going to do you a great deal of good when it comes time to try and get the attention of publishing houses. They'll take you much more seriously.
At the same time, once again: your chances are still absolute shit either for magazine publication or (especially) novel publication, even if you're a good writer. You'd likely be wasting your time.
I will say, though, that if it's your passion that it's worth pursuing. You'll never know unless you try.

I'd rather not, honestly! I have no passion for or background with the medium and no artistic ability to speak of.

And there are a great deal many things that I would rather not do, but that's the world we live in. All I ask is that you consider it seriously.

Have you ever tried targeting specific publishers? Yeah, you're right, if you submit your shit blindly to Simon and Schuester, they're not going to pick you up. But if you write Christian stories for teens and submit them to a publisher in the Bible belt who only publishes Christian stories for teens your chances for publication shoot up to 90%.

Hire an illustrator, silly. Or better yet, be friends with one and collab because you both think your work deserves to be seen.

You really don't know how it's saturated.
Even them his chance would not be beyond 5%.

Yes, I've done both the shotgun method as well as targeted submissions in the past.
Both methods have worked for me in terms of getting published, though the ultimate results were still shit in terms of ultimate success rate.
It's really not my passion in life, though. It was something that I liked doing and was kind of nice as a hobby, but it's not something that I feel a burning need to pursue any longer.

Actually I'm an editor for a literary magazine, so I do know how saturated it is. We probably receive 1000x more submissions than we do actual subscriptions.

I appreciate the enthusiasm from you guys! But like I elaborated on here , it's not really a burning passion of mine in life or anything. I don't really feel the pathological need to write or have my stuff read or anything. It's not my life like it is for a lot of the most passionate.

If you don't have a finished manuscript on its second draft at LEAST you shouldn't even be worrying about this publishing question.

Why would I write a book if I can't get it published? For fun?

Yes, you have to write a lot for fun, have luck and accept some incredible low payment.

Attached: 1561752848316.jpg (728x546, 44K)

You do it because you're a passionate writer and believe in yourself and your idea above all else. You feel the overwhelming urge to give life to your concept and share your creation with the world. It HAS to be shared. You know the odds, but you believe in yourself enough that you'll overcome them. Even if you ultimately don't succeed, it's a wonderful feeling to have given life to your concept and created it.
If you don't feel that drive and passion, though, and are strictly writing to get published, it's likely not a good investment of your time. The same mentality applies to elite athletes out of necessity. Unless it's their life and a fundamental drive for them, the very idea of becoming an Olympian or NFL player is downright silly.