Getting guinea pigs may have been the worst mistake of my life

Getting guinea pigs may have been the worst mistake of my life.
They don't love you, they're incredibly messy as pets (your house is going to look like a fucking barn, even if you're organized), they're dumb as rocks, they're uninteresting, and they get all kinds of injuries and infections on a regular basis. Finding a nearby vet for them is close to impossible and fucking ridiculously expensive once you do.
All around, the amount of work required to care for these little fuckers VASTLY outweighs the benefits of actually having them.

If you're looking for pets, DO NOT get guinea pigs. I'll repeat it for the niggers in the back of the catalog: DO NOT GET GUINEA PIGS.
They're cute for about 10 minutes, then shit gets old fast.

Attached: never buy guinea pigs.png (425x283, 134K)

I accidentally let one starve to death once. Not my fault though because it was my ex's responsibility and her pet.

At least you feel bad about it, though...right?

I don't know if you really need a vet for a guinea pig. I've never brought my hamster to one.

The most based small animal is the horsfield tortoise.
My one has colour preferences, food preferences, recognises my face, and claws/nudges me to get headpats.

They're for eating, not for being pets.

Educate a noob on the difference between a hamster and a guinea pig?

Are you fucking retarded? Do also not know how to use Google?

>your house is going to look like a fucking barn
Have you tried putting them in a cage like you are supposed to?
My two Guinea pigs used to have a cage with a barrier in between because the fuckers constantly tried to kill each other despite the meme about Guinea pigs supposedly needing friends.

Guinea pigs are way bigger, louder, look different, etc. Bringing a small animal with a shorter lifespan to the vet isn't really required, a lot of the time when there just going to be inside and in their own areas all day most illnesses are predictable and stuff can just be googled and sometimes sicknesses just require buying things at the pet store. This is my hamster. Also hamsters are solitary chads so they want to stay alone and quiet or else they fight and kill other hamsters in their area.

Attached: 106.jpg (2769x3219, 1.28M)

Either your hand is extremely tiny or that hamster is fucking huge.

What about rats. I've seen videos of them on youtube they seem super smart, they do mazes and tricks and shit.
They can run in mini dog agility thingies. And also seem to be super affectionate, like they cuddle on you and stuff.
Why would you get a guinea pig when rats exist?

>they get all kinds of injuries and infections
If you want your guinea pig to not be killed by his abscess, you need to take him to a vet.

That's the guinea pig, retard.

Guinea pig is the size of a football.
Hamster is the size of a couple of walnuts.

>Have you tried putting them in a cage like you are supposed to?
Bedding, shit and hay still gets everywhere despite them being in a cage, even if you vacuum every day.
And don't even get me started on how hard it is to vacuum up hay. That shit will destroy your vacuum.

Yeah...that's not a guinea pig. That's a hamster. Eyes are smaller, ears are different, facial shape is different, huge obvious cheek pouches...hamster.

He's a big guy. He is probably a half a foot long and his girth definitely isn't to be messed with considering I probably am too liberal with his food supply.
Nope it's my Syrian hamster, I'm not OP
People love rats but they have a very short lifespan. Imagine having one learn a ton of tricks and cuddle with you and stuff and have it die in 2 years

Attached: reimu_teeth.png (805x423, 568K)

Just get pet rats. They're smarter.

Get rats OP.
>they love you and visibly enjoy being with you
>they're intelligent and can learn tricks
>they recognize their name
>they do get health problems but pretty much only at the end of life when it's time for them to die anyway
>they love living in groups so they're more fun to watch and also 99% of the time they don't fight

Attached: 1530972270255.jpg (640x480, 67K)

Rats are smarter and cleaner but they die so soon that they basically lead directly to grief and disappointment.
They also get cancer at an alarming rate.

hada tortoise once, ages ago. for all of maybe 1 month. he was my first pet and i remember the pet store guy telling us we needed to buy all these extra lights and shit to keep him going. my dad told me a sunny spot in my room would be enough so we just opted for a basic tank and some decorations and fluff. winter came a month or so later and he stopped moving. i thought he was hibernating. we had him for a few weeks before he started stinking. took him to a vet and they told me he died ages ago from cold. i cried like a baby and blamed my dad for it. to his credit he sat me down and talked and apologized to me like a man for the first time ever. he told me it was all his fault for not listening and hoped it would be a lesson in humility for the both of us, him for failing to listen to the advice of a pro and me for seeing that my dad and adults and people in genearl are never perfect. rip rex.

They also fight each other a lot, especially if you get males. Which is funny because if you get one lone guinea pig, he'll probably die early from the loneliness.
My guinea pigs split each others' ears in half with their teeth.

Yes but this is what you do.
>get 2 rats of slightly different ages
>one dies first
>get the other one a new rat to keep it company
>when the remaining old rat dies buy the new rat another rat
>this is the rat cycle

May as well just get them gfs and let them breed, in that case.

I got guinea pigs and I love them very much. I get a lot of fulfilment from keeping them clean, petting and feeding them.
I don't know how many animals are intelligent and can truly love, if they're capable at all, but mine have at least a little affection to me.

Did you get boys, they're a bit more difficult than girl pigs. Try to do some more bonding, they're just little, they don't mean to be annoying messes. Is there anywhere to rehome them if you really can't stand it?

Attached: IMG_20190826_172059.png (1080x1054, 1.25M)

Yeah, there are 4 of them and they're all males.
I've had them for 5 years and I've tried to do as much bonding as possible. I've given up recently. They just don't seem to care about much of anything that isn't food and trying to kill each other.
I'm not going to rehome them. I'll just keep them until they die naturally.

I've been thinking of buying Adam and Eve and inbreeding the shit out of the them just to see what recessive genetic diseases they have. When do rats go through puberty and how long do they gestate? I also wanted to experiment, separately, with exposing pregnant females to teratogenic substances and cataloguing the various effects, trying to find the perfect specimens to display in jars at the county fair, maybe.

Well shit son...that's a pretty bittersweet story.

Attached: 1524932684531.png (1000x1000, 1.2M)

Sorry you couldn't find enjoyment from them user, they're quite sweet creatures when you can get close to them. Boys seem to just be more of dicks, but they can work. The less males together the better, a lot less likely to fight that way. I've got one asshole Chad pig who is just mean to my other two, couldn't imagine the chaos of four boys together.
It's kind of you to keep caring for them though. It might sound cliche but I think you just got a bad batch.