What's you favorite medieval fantasty weapon robots? I like maces and curved swords

What's you favorite medieval fantasty weapon robots? I like maces and curved swords.

Attached: 5E weapons.jpg (1024x1491, 1002K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KbEMU7sgkrQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Spear, but I also like maces.

How do flails work? How do you not tear your body swinging it?

You hit what you are swinging at.

I'm partial to shortswords to be honest. Good combination of range, efficiency and accessibility, even though I've never used a sword to prove any of that.

Realistically, the chains were shorter than the shafts, so you couldn't hit your own hand, let alone the rest of you. Originally, they were an agricultural tool to separate the grains from wheat stalks, and then became weapons. In fantasy, they're usually more like whips. Probably the weapon most divorced from its real counterpart.

Attached: Arte_De_Athletica_2b.jpg (1086x742, 547K)

Any axe that's designed for fighting.

The gladius is nowhere near being medieval, but it does often get thrown in to medieval fantasy, so I'll go with that. If not, I'll go with the morning star.

The Rapier, the Zweihander and quite a lot of versions of plate armor weren't medieval either, but they still get thrown in too. "Medieval fantasy" is just an umbrella term.

For me, it's the Sythe

X-Bow

Crossbow
I'm not gonna be a part of the meatwall

Big solid ones pin cunts up off the ground thu the shoulder into a tree

MOTHERFUCKING HALBERDS

Attached: 179.jpg (215x475, 15K)

both maces and curved swords aren't fantasy only though
So are u asking exclusively for fantasy weapons or both

long reach shit

Either longbow or crossbow maybe flintlock if its allowed I just dont want to be beat savagely to death by some huge bastard

Longsword. I like to swing things around, but I also like to figure out the correct angles and speed for cutting something.

Next Question: If you were to become an adventurer, what gear would you use?

Glaive for sure, that shit is sick.

I wouldn't use a flail desu

youtu.be/KbEMU7sgkrQ

Attached: Screenshot_20190823-103353_YouTube.jpg (1560x720, 390K)

Easy. The katana. Unironically and not even weebing.

pike gang

good luck stabbing me when im six feet away lmao

In a world with mages or without? Normally, I'd chose a breastplate, enchanted amulet, and steel leg armor. And a Helm of Neitiznot, if the world has it.

Otherwise, I'd swap out the breastplate and leg armor for an anti-mage equivalent.

i like 1 2 6 10 16 top
3 5 7 8 for the bottom

>Easy. The katana. Unironically and not even weebing.
based

Attached: giphy sekiro 890.gif (480x270, 492K)

If I could be any adventurer I wanted Id be a sorcerer but disguise myself as a simple traveller to get the drop on anyone

The bastard sword looks neat

Attached: 1557829727786.jpg (1024x1016, 74K)

Chad spearbros
>try to hit me from 6ft away

Normally greatsword but I'm feeling axes a lot these days for some reason. Pic semirelated.

Attached: 1555968918110.jpg (850x330, 20K)

My favorite is the langesmesser (don't care how it's spelled), downright my favorite sword. I also have a preference for other simple short range weapons like axes and big fuck-you sticks

They don't. They are highly inefficient weapons in most cases.
no
I believe it's weapons often depicted in medieval fantasy settings.
But why, though? There are so many better swords than the uchigatana...
Damn that's a short pike.

German War Knives wear great. Falchions too. Maces with a bunch of flanges are cool.
There wear of course much better weapon, pretty much any polearm, for instance, but visual design-wise, those are my favourites.

Ree scythes are based, I'm autistic desu

Well he did say fantasy medieval rather than just medieval. Scythes are just as effective as any other weapon in fantasyland even if they kind of suck in real life. Not gonna lie either, I love me a good scythe.

Depends on the setting, but if we are talking generico, then probably a heavy healer of some sort. war cleric, but without the god stuff.
As for gear specifically, a shortsword (for chopping and cutting) a reinforced staff (for protection), and heavy armor, likely a breastplate, a plate gorget, a chainmail hauberk, some sort of plated bracers and gloves, a plated waistcoat (don't remember the actual term), and some sort of plate lower leg guards. Also maybe pauldrons, but I generally don't like the look of them, regardless of how incredibly useful they are.
Oh, and whatever I need for casting.

Depends on the setting. We talking high fantasy like warcraft or low fantasy like game of thrones?

Reality taints my imagination in that way. I know how incredibly ineffective it would be, so it's hard for me to look at one and think "that's a weapon" just at all.

Flail hands down. I got one in real life, they are devastating weapons. Not only can the slightest flick of the wrist deliver deadly force, they are volatile and heavy hitting. They take down armored opponents as easily as anyone without, and its hard to tire from swinging it if you just save momentum.

Whichever one is your favorite.

>But why, though?

>cultural significance
>cuts through unarmored peasants like a giant scalpel
>best weapon for disembowelment
>neat forging process
>that subtle curvature

I don't claim they're superior, I've seen the videos and everyone shitting on them since forever. They're just my favorite.

this
spears are boring

Why is the bastard sword Xbox huge compared to the longsword?

glaives
other variants are also good
so long as its a sword shaped thing on a stick, its good

though a spike on the other end can also be helpful if you need to break something really tough or through pretty thick armor

Attached: gleve_glaive_glaife_weapon_glefe_b.jpg (750x624, 146K)

katanas are really fresh but if ur focusing on europe then probably a mini crossbow like 5 in pic

Attached: 259.jpg (750x740, 73K)

I have no idea how it happened, but in popular use the terms got switched around. A longsword is a sword that can be used in two hands or in one, and a bastard sword is a big sword that can only be used in two hands. Should be the opposite but I didn't make that image.

All I can think of is maybe the artist thought "bastard sword must be a bastard to wield so it's gotta be big and heavy"

Crossbow, longsword, handaxe.

I would wear whatever is appropriate for the scope of the mission.

Attached: 1f371558235abb030d50d18613979395.png (920x1260, 841K)

>A longsword is a sword that can be used in two hands or in one, and a bastard sword is a big sword that can only be used in two hands. Should be the opposite
Longsword

I would be some Ranger/Fighter/Rogue multiclass that fit the bounty hunter role best. Some ranged ability, some melee ability, traps, stealth, that sort of thing.

Bills. Looks dank, let's u stab a fool from far away, and unlike Spears you can use hooks to parry stuff

Attached: medieval-polearm-bill-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-mtl-fbx-tga.jpg (676x380, 16K)

Meteor hammer is best

flail and mace a faggot

Attached: anime-re-life-in-a-different-world-from-zero.jpg (800x800, 41K)

>Rem will never crush your skull

Feels bad, man.

i like two handed weapons but i dont like heavy weapons, i prefer an speed based style of fighting than a power based style.
If i can only choose 1 weapon for all the situations, i would pick a 1.20m long sword with room in the handle for two hands. Like a katana, but with a western blade.

Different strokes for different folks. Never liked disc guards or really any part of the handle, tang included. Blade's alright, I guess, but it's just very simple, but still looks awkward.
The only thing it had going for it for me was the differential hardening.

>old cloak to mostly cover face and conceal body and any weapons I have
>thick leather/chainmail for armor for flexibility
>as for weapons, from the picture I would take the shortsword and warhammer/handaxe on my hip. The shortsword for the majority of combat and the heavier blunt weapon to take people by surprise if they have something like a shield. I would have a dagger in my boot/shin just in case, and a hand crossbow stored somewhere there, like my lower back or back of my waist.

I would then go around robbing and killing kikes/aristocrats to live.

If there's fantasy races or something like that too though, I would switch to a slightly heavier armor which still had good movement and use a short sword and dagger to kill goblins.

So a normal longsword... Longswords are pretty much exclusively for two hands. Bastard/hand-and-a-half swords are for one or two, and arming swords and the like are for one.

More importantly, allows you to pull some fancy cavalry guy off his horse into the mass of uneducated armed peasants

>bastard sword must be a bastard to wield so it's gotta be big and heavy
kek. I've actually heard something similar before though, so you might be right. Interestingly, the Longsword's grip seems to be no longer than the shortsword's, or the dagger's. I have heard people call one handed swords "longswords" before. I think what might have happened was that people knew the term "longsword" (I remember it appearing in Romeo and Juliet for example) but were stuck with the image of the knight using an arming sword and shield, and so assumed what we now call the "arming sword" to be the "long sword". Meanwhile, the "Bastard Sword" somehow managed to stay as a long gripped thing.
Alternatively, it comes from Rapiers and "side swords", which indeed are long, but also one handed. So by the 1800s, they were sometimes called "longswords", and swords with wide (compared to small swords and sabres, common in that time) blades were called "broadswords". So it could have stuck that one handed swords were "longswords" while Two handed swords were "greatswords". A lot of early fantasy writers didn't really have access to much information. Robert E. Howard, who wrote conan, originally wanted to do historical fiction, but turned to fantasy when he realized his local library didn't have anywhere near enough material to keep everything authentic or plausible. Gygax and Co. came up with "Studded leather" because all they had were shitty photos of brigandines and had no context or explanation that the "studs" were actually rivets for small plates.
In the medieval era, the terms seem to have been used interchangeably (oftentimes they'd simply be called just "sword"), but in modern classifications, done by historians and historical fencers, bastard swords are swords that can be used in one or two hands. Never the big two handed swords, or anything bigger than a longsword.

From what I understand "broadsword" is solely a modern term, while what we consider a broadsword is actually a claymore.
All these terms are modern interpretation and classification, though, so eh.

>Spends life training to fight on horse back
>spends money on expensive plate armor
>Gets hit by some illiterate peasant once and then stabbed a hundred times by a bunch of his smell friends
Fuck cavalry and anyone who thinks think armor will save them from my spikey stick

>"broadsword" is solely a modern term
Yes. 1800s, which is considered the Modern Era, at least compared to the Medieval era. By then, the swords in use were military sabres, and small swords, which apart from being short, were very thin and needle like, focused solely on the thrust. Compared to those, medieval swords, and the Scottish Basket-hilted sword, were broad, and that's why they were called "broadswords"

Attached: Small sword.jpg (1494x714, 49K)

I probably wouldn't wear much armor if I were an adventurer as that would get old real fast.

Since I'd be on my feet more often than not, probably go with very light clothing, maybe some fore arm guards, a bow and arrow, and a dagger. So a scout's gear.

No, not 1800s, modern, modern modern.

Flails to me are consistently among the most unique weapons whenever they are in games and definitely the most unique of the supposed medieval European weapons. Supposed because as you said, they were most certainly a fantasy weapon. You don't see them represented in video games nearly as often as the other weapons shown there besides the sling really.

Megumin, originally, for a very very long time.

Broadsword as a term has been around since at least then. There are manuals and other literature from the era that call the basket hilts "broadswords".

Halberd and Battleaxe

Longbow hands down. I need to get into archery.

catholocism

who wouldn't choose maul, not only does it have the coolest name but also can cave in a knigths chest

I started to take a liking to arbalests. Basically any fuckhueg crossbows.

Attached: 800px-Arbalest_(PSF).png (800x1460, 333K)