Authoritarian parents

Do you wish your parents had been more authoritarian in some aspects of your life? For instance, I never practiced much sport and I wish my parents had forced me to practice sport when I was 10 or so.

Attached: 7EE0AE4A-7A8F-43B6-A101-2B3CB560DB6C.jpg (1140x855, 99K)

Ide feel the same way if i wasnt in a god damn poor town filled with blacks. Lived in this dhitty fucking place all my life and all ive gotten from this place is a hatred of black people. If i had stayed in alaska i never would have gotten to be the way i am and thats a fact.

same i grew up in a 70% black area, it was hell. my mom would never let me socialize or have internet access and look through my room. i wish i was born to rich white parents.

Only with academics because I didn't give a flying fuck about them despite being in all AP classes. My parents were memeworthy Catholics and I'm a diehard agnostic deist so saying we clashed sometimes is the understatement of the century. Authoritarian household was basically daily life for me.

When I was in my formative years and more part of the 'rat-race' I did envy those who had stricter parents that were more around to teach them things, in hind-sight though I'm still young (20) I realize that their negligence was largely beneficial for me. Personally I've always been distant and rejected authority, I cannot get interested into things that people 'make' me do and so tend to daydream and put off tasks related to those. As my parents didn't push me towards anything I think I came to find far greater interest and almost mystery in things many had already experiences that has helped kill the monotony in life. As well as that the more obvious fact that my parents didn't have much to teach me aside from house-care and basic finance both of which they never really mentioned until last-minute (my father used to get angry and annoyed with me at times though he was like this about anything and still is; wants you to do something one second then gets annoyed at you seemingly for doing what he asked), I always wanted to learn more about cars from my dad who used to be a car wash (now retired) though he never really tells me anything, I've got to read a nice textbook on automotive engineering instead though its so hard when you don't want to spend copious amounts on tools to practice what's in the book. Also he pretty much told me that I should never be a mechanic in any situation whatsoever (fair enough as I'm going into mechanical engineering anyway). tl;dr my parents could have taught me more but it probably wouldn't do any good, I learn better by myself.

That does sound rather bad, were you in a gated community or something? Hover parenting is cancer.

Attached: Anime girl messing with an imaginary set of blinds.gif (400x452, 98K)

Are you a retard? Why would you want that? Even if you are right in an argument if you try to convince them it's like talking to a brick wall, plus they will shout at you for being and shit. You can't express yourself because your whole personality is dictated by your parents. You can't do anything basically because your faggot parents decide your daily life. I am so fucking happy I finally went to college. I would kill for the freedom I have now a few years back.

I'm not talking about personality. I'm talking about things like sports or academics. I never had academic problems, but my mental health was shit and I had lots of difficulties to socialize. Things like forcing your child to practice sports can help them develop their social skills and socialize. Furthermore, you are a piece of shit if you don't reach your maximum physical potential in your 20s.

who decided that lmao? Except for the fact that reaching max physical potential as young as in your 20s is impossible, even if you don't who tf cares. Anyway, if you aren't good with people by default and have mental health issues I can guarantee you that you would hate team sports with a burning passion. Not only do you need to do well under pressure but also be able to cooperate with your teammates and outplay your opponents. If you never asked to play like football or some shit as a kid, that means you never liked it in the first place and your parents couldn't force you to like ite even if they tried.

I didn't like football, but there are other sports like basketball, cycling, tennis or boxing.

I do have authoritative parents but luckily my mother's a little flexible but my father remains a lightning rod when it comes to rules and isn't very open or emotional with my brothers and I (we are a family of four boys) maybe this is his way of hardening us? I do regret not being close with him, even when we converse I find myself filtering my thoughts to not upset him. My dad's a loving father but he has issues with conveying his feeling so he tends to neglect them (he qualifies as a tsundere). I love him, I really do and I understand why he's somewhat formal with us. It's not like he has daughters, he has sons, sons that he expects to be men and sons that he expects to be proud of, I just wish he wouldn't suffer in silence.

I love you Abo.

I wish they were more liberal. They never believed me when I said I was sick, unless I was vomiting, until I would cry for hours on end at night because the ear infection. They never took me to the doctor about my allergies or extra energy so (((big pharma))) wouldn't ruin my life but my parents ended up doing just that anyway

yeah i kind of wish i wasn't allowed to skip school and play wow for 18 hours every single day for like 8 years
might have been able to get something else done in my life

No, it wouldn't have made a difference.
Instead, I wish they wouldn't have vaccinated me and ruined my life so Big Pharma could make a couple extra cents.

I wish my house was ran like the army for the first 18 years of my life

>wake up 6am
>run and circuit training
>breakfast shower ready for school
>School
>football practice
>Get Home
>Study
>Go to sleep
>Weekends would be the same apart from no school so I could hang out with friends or play games in that time

In reality I was the child of divorce who could do anything he wanted with no repercussions. Sit around smoke week and play video games or hangout with friends and putting the bare minimum effort into school

You have to develop these skills later in life or you'll be a socially inept NEET your whole life

I wish my parents gave me the life structure I needed but oh well that's life

Attached: 1280px-Drill_instructor_at_the_Officer_Candidate_School.jpg (1280x939, 221K)

This wouldn't have helped me. My mind was destroyed by a chemical pretty early on.
I did still manage to be reasonably disciplined about school, however, and even graduated high school with honors and took a bunch of AP classes, etc.

The only thing that matters in the West, apparently, is nepotism, not that you are avtually capable of anything. So nothing ever went anywhere for me despite doing above average at school.

In the US, anyway. Fuck America

I wish my parents have taught me responsibilities and also helped me when I was depressed during my teens.

I was responsible for most my life. But now I've given up because it literally got me nowhere.

>muh responsibility
>muh discipline
You're not special for having the same habit every day. You can't invade somebody's life for a year and expect to know what it was like earlier.

My parents were absurdly authoritarian despite my real mom being as socially and economically liberal as possible. I mean, my step-parents weren't conservative or anything, they watched Job Stewart every night, it's just that they were so socially conservative that my dad was constantly hounding me about smoking pot despite only smoking like four times throughout high school.
If my parents weren't authoritarian, I'd very likely be way more outgoing, but I probably wouldn't be absurdly polite. So ups and downs.

Attached: 1506980303831.jpg (314x295, 24K)

Absolutely not. I wish my parents just loved me, spoiled me and let me do whatever the hell I want instead of constantly treating me like shit and telling me that I'm a terrible person for being too autistic to act like a normal person. I tried my hardest to act normal but it was never enough and everyone around me just believed that I was acting out on purpose and needed a good beating to behave.

My parents always shouted at me to do things that they were never doing themselves. Like go outside and play sports. Except whenever I did they'd be overprotective of me and never let me do anything notable or fun with sports. So they basically killed my interest in those things and kept antagonizing me by shouting me down. They never properly appreciated what I was interested in.

They were authoritarian, They stopped being that way and my life went to worse

My parents weren't exatly authoritarian, but were extremely socially conservative in many respects, especially my mom, which is what I blame most of my social issues on.

I think they did a lot of things right when I was a young kid, but they didn't teach me anything useful from about the age of 10 on. It was just parenting generica like "Don't do drugs. Get good grades. Be a good person." I think they honestly thought that that was enough to make them good parents. Never really had a conversation with me about sex, social skills, how money works, or anything that's actually useful, but they were always disapproving of anything that could be viewed as even slightly "edgy." They did the bare minimum like giving me rides to sports practices, etc, but they never put any real effort into teaching me anything. I was a really good student in elementary and middle school, but then completely stopped giving a a shit about school work and barely passed high school despite the fact that I was otherwise a totally lame goody two shoes. Although I felt bad about myself for it at the time, in retrospect I feel like my parents were morons for viewing my poor school performance in isolation. It should have been obvious that it was a symptom of other issues. I really regret not being at least somewhat rebelious as a teenager.

I don't wish that my parents were more authoritarian. If anything, I think that most of what they believed was bullshit anyway. I just wish they just cut out all of the middle class parenting generica and were actually real with me once in a while.

This is basically my story, user, you put it better than I ever could. I grew up to be a very passive, boring person out of it and my brother even moreso.

Thanks, user. I suspect it's a common phenomenon here that that causes many of us to become socially retarded. It's painful because I think my parents did a great job of teaching me things and encouraging my interests and imagination when I was a kid, but because of that I had way too much trust in them as I got older. It was like they expected me to do all of the boring things associated with growing up, but few of the fun things and since that seemed lame, I just hung on to my childlike personality for much longer than is socially acceptable instead. It's so cringe looking back on it and while I've made improvements, I'm not sure it's possible to make up all of those lost socializing reps as an adult without going through lots of spagetti, shame, and rejection first.

Most "social disorders" are just caused by sub-par parenting.

Kinda sorta
Being coddled didnt really help with my blooming as an adult so yeah
My sister taking advantage of my intelligence and trying to make me a mindless doer didnt either

Im woke af now though but its a lil too late

I don't think "athoritarian" is the right word, but I wish they had pushed me more and been stricter about some things. I wasn't competent to make some of the decisions they let me make.

School was boring as hell because I got high marks without trying. I should have skipped ahead or changed schools, but refused every time my parents brought it up. I said I wanted to stay with friends, but it was just laziness.

They never taught me to do chores either, so I lived in filth my first years after moving out.

Mom bought me all the junk food I wanted, and never made me leave the couch. So I was always overweight. Only now am I fixing those habits slowly and painfully.

I want to believe these things were because they were too nice to say no, but I always wonder if they were just too busy to notice. They worked so much.