Why is internet culture so fucking shit now?

Why is internet culture so fucking shit now?

Attached: humor.png (455x568, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

meaningness.com/geeks-mops-sociopaths
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>everything was better back in my day!!

it was, just look at this comedy gold

Attached: 1539317709478.gif (438x400, 402K)

It has a wider reach now. So the common denominator is lower.

Attached: 54.png (600x600, 193K)

Majority of people online are sub 120 iq. Cell phones, web 2.0, and the infantilization of operating systems means that everyone and anyone can surf the web now. Consequently, because most normal people are idiots, the internet is idiotic as well.

nobody:
me: says something
somebody: *does something*

LOL!
MEEEEMES!!

People are afraid to express themselves and hide behind fifty layers of irony. Everything that is not ironic is 'cringe'

This is funnier and more memorable than anything shit out by facebook and instagram zoomers the past few years.

Is that a criticism of unintentional, unironic deep fried memes or intentional, ironic deep fried memes? Because ironic ones can still be comedy gold.

Attached: 2b3vbdvm8yl31.jpg (994x1324, 382K)

>this is supposed to be funny
>OP wants this back
laugh out loud

Attached: 11330757_834361656600813_150159638_n.jpg (612x612, 120K)

this WILL make you laugh.

Attached: 9coz1oy5h8631.jpg (720x711, 57K)

I wish someone would have made a version of this with hajimete no gal

This seems pretty much true. I have seen this sort of thing happen all the time.

>implying you won't be saying the same thing about modern memes in 10 years

our collective unconscious has been poisoned by relativism
nothing is sacred anymore

i really need to get off the internet. it hasnt been fun or funny to me in years. the age of rage comics and demotivational posters is long over. the age of naive innocence is long gone, we will never see a non politicized internet ever again. i wish i could just quit it all, it brings me no joy. the golden age of the internet is long dead and ive not moved on

Attached: 0acbc5a86ebc815e30d0f42705edf9a4.png (500x333, 26K)

Maybe I will, still that only proves my point. Everyone looks back fondly on things they grew up with, it gives you a skewed perspective on anything new

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
:D

I keep holding out hope that some day there will be one or two small websites free from all this politics and post-irony bullshit and cracks down on it on sight.

The insanity wolf macro was pretty funny tb.h

Because normies took over irony and the only humour we can call our own has to be too offensive for them to post about on social media

Attached: 1486333841429.jpg (460x430, 34K)

An ooga booga bixnood to you as well, faggot.

i guess part of me holds on to hope too, even if its pointless to do so. maybe one day i can break my internet addiction and be free of this awful place

LMFAO XD XD UWU OWO KEK >.

People lack effort and creativity, its just the same unfunny unoriginal shit being copy and pasted over and over

Given that every site hinges on exploiting instant gratification you can really see why it's like it is. No need to put effort into anything when you have thousands of people making low effort pictures that are juuuuuuust a bit funny for people to scroll through and will keep scrolling through because they're internet addicts.

herp herp herp a derp xD

I miss 2007 and older Jow Forums so much
I'd even take 2008-2012 Jow Forums right now
I hate that I'm jaded about modern internet culture but it's undeniable how much it's changed

Attached: 1521083572155[1].png (2500x5562, 176K)

No, this will make you laugh though

Attached: Turdeau.jpg (517x288, 16K)

Who the fuck visits microsoft?

Attached: Flowers.png (5120x5120, 1.35M)

Because people are just forcing their shitty edits to try and be the next big thing

Why do you fucking think? It went mainstream. Which means the corporations are trying to monetize it, the rat race millions are trying to use it to get ahead in life, and the normies are adulterating any remaining spark of hope with their overwhelming mediocrity.

Internet explorer home page was Microsoft.

>pic
This is only gonna change when there is economic incentive to do so, which I think we are in the beginning stage of given how much all these big internet companies are getting so much shit from smaller businesses and governments for being total monopolies.

I think it covers the companies themselves that own all these sites, so Youtube is in the Google box and xbox live is in the Microsoft box etc

that's fair, i was born stupid so thanks

We've had this discussion many times. Smartphones, social media, consolidation, monetization, mainstream popularity, surveillance etc. I'm sure usenet oldfags might feel the same about my early 00s generation but I can at least still remember some fun times before it headed so strongly in this direction.

Jow Forums is particularly bad in my eyes because people come here to experience some of that hackers on steroids anonymous bad boy culture that has been fostered by it's infamy, even people who decide to post on the hobby boards go there and write their posts as they think a 4channer would due to infamy and board culture (where it still exists) working in tandem, instead of just speaking their mind. Which leads to the stagnation and increasingly derivative shit you see plastered everywhere now.

Start populating smaller sites guys, or make your own, be the change you want to see.

Attached: 1554869142410.jpg (331x506, 125K)

Unironically Reddit.
Twitter/Instagram are at fault too, but still, mostly Reddit.

Attached: 3ec.jpg (680x1209, 79K)

The "hackers on steroids" stereotype I think is pretty much dead at this point and died with the hacker libertarian counterculture of its time, which was replaced with all this alt-right shit with the growth of Jow Forums and exploded with gamergate and the 2016 election, with "hackers on steroids" being replaced with whatever corresponds to it now.

All culture's been mushed together and anonymity is gone (except here)

I think there's something to be said about A. the amount of people flooding in and B. the amount of children in particular having a way to put their shitty content out, not to mention being major consumers(or providers of 'likes' as it were.)

these arent funny
these are

I think this image pretty much sums it up. Faggots happened. Everyone was having a good time until some sonofabitch mentioned maimais and started printing out shirts of troll faces. Most of the funny shit became mainstream, so overplayed and losing its magic and then even bigger faggots started forcing everyone to talk like they would in real life on the internet, which meant no one got to say anything funny.

I mean, for fuck shit man, I don't want to be a dickrider or anything but this place made so much of what is internet humour and internet culture and no one wants to pretend as if this place ever did that. We're just the racist incel place that no one wants to admit exists. I'm positive its the main reason why we just keep recycling pepe and wojaks because that way no one can steal them from you. Maybe we can find a way to just straight up go dark web and keep our shit to ourselves for once?

Attached: 7ialcps1mhl21.jpg (2404x1260, 443K)

Another bit of reading material you've likely come across in meta threads before meaningness.com/geeks-mops-sociopaths

ok boomer
original

This

OriginallySpaghettiMacaroni

sam hyde style post modern irony bullshit got cool

everything theyre acting slick but IRL theyre just insecure fags scared of sincerity

>sam hyde style
Didn't Tim and Eric do it first? I know a whole lot of this post-irony stuff comes from cboyardee as well, who has some affiliations with Hyde.

no, this is will make you actully laugh

Attached: 1566782011792.jpg (680x789, 140K)

Everything is filtered
Everything is monitored
Nothing is sacred

>new thing bad, old thing good

Yeah sure

this
normals ruin everything

Only funny thing in this thread.
Originally LOLZ

These really make me just wanna choke someone. Its everywhere and absolutely unfunny. But in sprawling normie media, well, it thrives. What can you do I guess.

Attached: Screenshot_20190918-113115_Chrome.jpg (1080x1027, 680K)

This is the result of the democratization of the internet, this is the result of the normalfag invasion

>we will never see a non politicized internet ever again
Damn, that hit hard.

Real answer is that the "average" human is complete genuine mental garbage, and every year more and more actual brain dead normies filter into places online, the internet went from reclusive autists to reality

>NOW STUFF BAD
>MY STUFF GOOD
Holy shit shut the fuck up boomers, WE GET IT, YOU ENJOYED THINGS AND NOW A NEW GENERATIONS MAKES NEW THINGS AND YOU DONT LIKE THEM
jesus christ being on this board is starting to be like listening to my fucking grandma
"oh well mmm MEMES were CLASSIER in my day"
"teaching children about masturbation! GOODNESS HEAVENS NO, WE CAN'T TEACH THE CHILDREN OF SEX THAT WOULD BE WRONG"
not to mention all the women hating, I'm sure my grandma hates sluts as much as you guys

Yknow... that actually makes me think, maybe incels don't need to change, maybe they just need to date older women.
Anyway, yall have autism, haha.

Attached: birthdefects-downs-syndrome-500px.jpg (500x551, 93K)

This entire post in one picture

Attached: 1562562527964.png (609x638, 945K)

Unironically a bunch of normies got into internet culture in the past decade. That's the reason.

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Not a single soul:
No one in the universe:
(Group of people): This

The internet sucks now because it letsfaggots like these to come in like they own the place

Yes he's surrounded by autists who also happen to think they are better than everyone..

Reddit sure is great huh

when u do thing
funny face

LMAO
you think
i think
i own this place?
I'm an anonymous fucking poster, how the fuck do i own this place?
The internet sucks now cause people like you say the internet sucks cause of people like me.

you guys must be looking at the wrong groups of people, some of the shit I see on a daily basis is incredible

Attached: sqiudward.jpg (750x702, 19K)

cus the forums all died

Honestly, I don't think we'll see a non politicized anything for a while if at all

*sips boomer drink and lives in delusional world of rose-tinted nostalgia*

>the age of rage comics
Rage comics is where it started going downhill

Is Squidwards Suicide making some kind of ironic comeback?

90% of forum activity has been delegated to reddit where it becomes homogenized.

True. The only difference between rage comics, "advice animals" and modern "so relatable" image macros is the amount of effort put into them.

Memes have no entry barrier now.
Every good meme starts with some sort of cryptic meaning that only a few people will understand to prevent the meme from becoming stale. But nowadays with sites like Reddit or KYM, the meaning of the memes is quickly translated and spread on an unchallenging normalfag-friendly ecosystem, and sometimes even distorted due to lack of understanding. Remember the NPC meme? It used to be about making fun of normalfags, but once said normalfags and redditfags discovered it, it became yet another political wojak "THING I DON'T LIKE" maymay.

Like it or not, all memes are secret handshakes to some extent. Some can be more obvious than others and still be great, but once absolutely everyone can understand it, the secret handshake loses it's charm and is no longer better than just using a regular one.

Attached: EDHKwRxU0AA0l0v.png (700x782, 856K)

Memes nowadays are basically glorified reaction images. That and nobody wants to make real OC, they just want to make exploitables.

>exploitables
They call them "meme templates" now fyi

Fucking got me, nice work

Attached: 289-2892978_emoji-funny-sad-omg-happy-smile-laughing-emoji.jpg (840x890, 260K)

itt internet experts expertly experting the internet

Attached: 1165179196712.jpg (456x543, 43K)

Because of the slow, steady, and never ending march towards hyper reality.

In a less gay and more immediate sense, it's because all humor now has to be centered around self-deprecation, depression, and irony. It's all in the hands of normies, niggers, and corporate America now.

Attached: 1429390048071.png (586x476, 236K)

Because [s4s] died in 2015.

David was right

Attached: DFW.jpg (1603x1196, 296K)

But why do people give a fuck in an anonymous forum?

Attached: 1549778092057.jpg (548x548, 64K)

>it's because all humor now has to be centered around self-deprecation, depression, and irony
Let me add a bit to this. Self-deprecation and ironic humor are so big now because 99% of people online don't have a single semblance of the amount of ego required to be sincere anymore. I think loss of anonymity and the cringe/lolcow trend is the driving force behind this turn in attitude because nobody dares to be the slightest bit (unironically) eccentric in fear of being made fun of for it as a result. No idea why everyone is making depression jokes though given that people have been comparably depressed for as long as the internet has existed but now it's the big thing to the point where even people who aren't even depressed are doing it just to fit in. I'm depressed like absolute fuck which I guess is a given since I am on this board in the first place but I still think depression humor is just as fucking dumb as I did before I became like this.

[s4s] was a pretty exceptional example of the attitude I am talking about. From what I remember it being like around five or so years ago, everyone there was expected to be forcing memes and be overly nice to each other all in the name of irony so it became a safe haven for retards that would be chased out from anywhere else to be annoying cunts on purpose , but it was all accepted because it was covered in a thin veil of irony. I don't know how it is nowadays though. Regardless, coinciding with the rise of [s4s], the piece of advice in pic related that I remember being tossed around a lot seem to have fallen out of favor. Shitposting and ironic shitposting (or "funposting") are basically synonymous now.

Attached: it is shitposting even if you are ironic.jpg (680x771, 84K)

lmao guys remember when he knocked over the card stand in times square KEK ! epic win for an hero

Top kek actually the only pic in thread that made me laugh. Maybe there is hope for the internet.

this, though you'd think it shouldn't infect Jow Forums then, given that we're anonymous. I genuinely think even the quality of posts on here has gone downhill, it's not as bad as normie media, but it's still gone to shit

where did everyone else go though? like games and forums used to have good communities - what happened to those people?

This legit made me laugh. Good on you, user. Here's a (You).

to be honest I never missed rage comics or demotivational posters, they were bottom of the barrel memes. I just miss clever posts or legitimately interesting discussions. like older memes weren't terribly great, and current ones definitely aren't either, but the community that made up forums and MMOs was so much better. where did they all go?

I unironically have an insta meme account where I post nothing but my original garbage memes like this. The kind where its just like Look at this its a meme and its funny.

Because you joined

just get off the internet for good

if you need human interaction, go outside

Made me laugh, user speaks the truth.

Just pick your flowers, don't be bothering anyone now

>fifty layers of irony.
Shut the fuck up.

They hated user because he told them the truth.

Phones unironically ruined the internet. Only weird speds spent considerable time online, but now normies have a vehicle by which to spend 5 hours a day online thats just not scrolling facebook.

If you don't think this is funny you're low IQ

Attached: 1569178879873.gif (540x540, 693K)

Do ai have rights?
Can you respond to Asimov? Should we?

Or should we just mash all the ai together into ~one big smore~ ?

Attached: Screenshot_20190923-125810_Google.jpg (1080x2220, 707K)

Even redditors are beginning to hate redditors

Attached: u5tl4zq0ggl31.jpg (665x484, 62K)

Unironically feel like I've missed an important part of internet culture. My earliest experience was around 2012, on an Instagram meme page that posted rage comics and advice animal shit. Honestly stuff was more fun back then, maybe because I was younger and more naive. Kinda miss non ironic humor, wish people started laughing at things because they find them funny, not because they're bad.
Also if any meme starts with "When", "Nobody: " or has the "Twitter format" in general, it's probably shit.

Attached: 1565632663264.jpg (512x512, 56K)

>My earliest experience was around 2012
Underage b&

please god let me go back
even for just a day

Attached: 1563701691994.jpg (1182x688, 98K)

Then pay me to write an open-source spam engine that floods the robot with dictionary attacks until they're all muted

Attached: Screenshot_20190922-215644_Google.jpg (1080x2220, 608K)