/tpg/ - ThinkPad General - >no thinkpad gf Edition

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1427546310626.jpg (640x852, 344K)

>tfw no thinkpad gf

Attached: ZMjZvW.P.jpg (220x160, 6K)

OwO

Attached: 1516157606073.webm (720x406, 2.26M)

I just bought a cat carrying hoodie to hold my x200.

Do you think I can go out in public without looking autistic?

Also r8 my purchase it was $16.

Attached: screenshot_20180517_153936.png (1280x800, 496K)

>tfw no outdoor LCD

Attached: balmrest.jpg (6000x3376, 2.38M)

JAV code?

Also reminder that an x61/t61 is still computationally viable and is also the last proper ThickBad

Also the x200 is librebooted desu :DD

Attached: IMG_20180517_154430.jpg (1920x1896, 1.99M)

Do I need to know how to solder to libreboot my x200?

Guys, my girlfriend has a thinkpad but it's a shitty chinkpad that she got for free, what do I do? The only thinkpads that I'd want to give her are being used for hardware modding projects

I've been thinking of getting one of those X62s (X61 modified by spergs in Shenzen to have Broadwell processor and nicer LCD). Kind of worried about it having a chink backdoor though

Is that Topping thing an amp? How do you like it?

what model is it?

Holy shit no. Why not just buy a rucksack or messenger bag, Jesus Christ

What's with the hate surrounding the E series?

Yeah, VX2. I'm very happy with it, the build quality is solid, there is no noise and its even got a bass boost function if you push the volume dial in.

Holy fuck. Lol.

Attached: 9A41F911-B664-4226-A4B8-AB3C099E7C33.png (304x325, 174K)

I might want to get some cheap video glasses and do a libre augmented reality setup.

Are you using an a dac with it? What headphones?

How is the t540p?
This fall I will need a laptop for CAD stuff. Needs to last at least 3 years. Looking at swapping in an I7-4700MQ and whatever SSD I have lying around.

It is a DAC, its got USB and optical inputs.
I don't use headphones with this one. I have a VX1 which I do though.

Ah yeah I'm reading up more on it and seeing that it doesn't have aux. Thanks though! I've been looking for a good headphone amp and Topping's seems to look good.

My ideapad Y700 is getting shipped out for a new battery (under warranty so it's free) so I'm using an old T430s that I had lying around. Have to admit, I forgot just how nice it is to have an actual keyboard on a laptop, as opposed to the pathetic keyboard on the Y700. The screen on this thing is fucking atrocious though

Are you using the Y700 for serious gaming? If not I'd say sell the Y700 (you can ask more since brand new battery) and get a newish Thinkpad.

Absolutely fucking not
I own both a T61 and X61 and they're absolute trash, fucking surf will lag with them

SSDs in them?

>cleaned a solid 95% of the hair, crumbs and sperm off my new used T440p

which models are usually best value for money?
x220/x230?

I play a little league, but the reason I have it is for CAD. I got a nice deal on it, too, about $1k for i7-6700U, R9 M375, 16GB RAM, and a 500GB SSD.

Why the fuck do you nerds like computers with Sandy Bridge and lower processors? Don't you know what fucking year it is?

I would pay you to take the stack of X220s sitting in my basement

Really highlights the type of metnally ill individuals that shill old shitty thinkpads on here and muh trannybooy garbage

Attached: Screenshot_20180427_231448.png (848x475, 312K)

>meme mouse

Attached: 1526084398790.png (371x336, 179K)

leave tripcode alone
he's a good girl

I get 'em for free. Ever wonder what happens to the old laptops when a law firm upgrades all their attorneys' computers?

Don't knock it until you've tried it, shits comfy.

Attached: 1512170888002.jpg (660x716, 53K)

They're autistic
Best thing is, they couldn't stop shilling and ruined their own hobbies because most of the best models are impossible to get at a decent price anymore kek

wtf why

Good god, that's almost identical to the laptop I had as a kid. I still have 2 of those lying around somewhere. Does it have the extended battery pack that sticks out the back that you can use like a handle?

How do I install core boot and a i7-3630qm on my t420?

Get her an X1 carbon, it's the Jow Forums equivalent of an engagement ring

god i wish that were me

Not that one, but they come with a 9 cell

It depends what you want to do. A T440p w/ quad core and FHD IPS screen can be had for under $400 (total w/ upgrades) and will still be a powerhouse for most tasks.

We're talking about the same X220 right?

Attached: Capture.png (1006x455, 172K)

Bullshit

The i7 3840QM from 2012 is still one of the fastest processors around thanks to fucking intel

I just wanna say that the P40 yoga was the best laptop I ever had. Not the most powerful. Not the lightest. Not the fastest. Not the most RAM. Not the best design.

But definitely best all-around.

What model laptop do you have that in?

OK. Please send some sort of contact info, I will take them free.

I have a W530 with a 3920XM and 32 gigs of ram and two 512gb SSDs and the 1080 IPS high gamut display.

Thing is an absolute beast, even today. Shame about the Quadro K1000M though.

r8 or h8

Attached: StinkPads1.jpg (1992x1494, 705K)

which part

T530 with nvs 5400m and the vaunted AUO 1080p panel that I got for only $320 at mint condition
Will be buying the w530 motherboard with the K2000M graphics card and fit it in, upgrade to 32gb ram and I don't have to buy any other laptop for the next one decade

Attached: Screenshot_201801120405011.png (1440x1410, 1.52M)

Is the W530 really a big improvement?

i've got the t540p.
1080p screen, and placed a samsung 840 ssd in it.
works like a charm. proc is i5 4300 i think and could be improved but also works as is.
the stock trackpad is very bulky and noisy and i think its recommended to swap it.
integrated graphic chip is fine but i don't use it for gayming.
you could consider swapping the cd bay for a hdd caddy. in my desktop i love having an ssd for programs and boot, and a big old hdd for storage of media.
also: it has gps and google can use when you open up google maps, but i haven't found a way to use your laptop as a navigation device.

>hesitant to get SSD for my T430 because it would pretty much double the price

My nigga

Attached: 0517181722_HDR.jpg (4656x2620, 3.47M)

I know, the one on the left isnt actually a thinkpad but it's still a lenovo

Not pictured are another T420 and two X220s

Attached: shelves.jpg (3376x6000, 1.87M)

real shit

Attached: StinkPads2.jpg (1992x1494, 706K)

[reposting this from prev. thread, only got two replies before it closed:]

Should I get an x230, or pay just a bit more for something like a t450s? Better resolution and more power/features/battery-life for negligible additional weight is pretty attractive, I feel like x220s and x230s are overvalued atm.

However, I ran into this x230 at a local shop today:
- $200
- i5, 4gb ram, 250gb (not sure if ssd), TN panel
- chassis and keys in excellent condition
- the display was running Win10 and the battery life said ~5hrs so I'm guessing it would get 3 or so with light usage on linux

Any ideas? Pull the trigger (& shell out for more ram, IPS screen, etc.) or get a newer model with better res/screen? I like everything about the x230 except the display, but I could live with it I guess.
Also how comparable is the price/perf for x250's and above?

$200 is too much for x230, especially at those specs, but it's not because the machine would be bad value, it's because your local store is a ripoff.

The TN panel that came in my X220 was unusably bad, 0 degree viewing angle display. You will want the IPS panel, which will run you $60-100 for the part.

If you feel like you need more power than a LV dual core, get the more powerful laptop.

So a while back I tried getting a 1440x900 lid working on this x200

Did not work, only lit up one time after spraying the connector down with ethanol.

I notice if I plug the x200s lid back in while the computers running the 1440x900 panel magically works again.

Anyone have any luck doing this swap.

Edid issue?

Attached: 93c0caf6-cdf8-486b-a670-504a926b1db8.jpg (600x800, 104K)

I'll mostly just need a machine for light tasks-- text-editing, pdfs, email & work correspondence, notes/classwork etc. so I don't need a lot of power. Just need something I can throw in my pack and go.

But it seems like x230s need enough investment that it might be a better idea to look at a newer model.

Yeah, it's a charity/non-profit joint. It was originally $240(!!) but finally after a month they brought it down.

does 900p 14inch ips exist

I too know that feel

Attached: 1497503576091.jpg (559x559, 28K)

I have a 90s powerbook sitting somewhere that still works

It's basically a really big graphing calculator at this point but it's still pretty fucking cool

Which thinkpad which still had the old school keyboard has the best processor?

Attached: virtual-tours.jpg (6000x4000, 2.27M)

How old school are we talking? You can get a T430s with an i5-5xxx without shitty chiclet keys.

Attached: Attach26734_20180517_150516.jpg (1200x1600, 164K)

> Tokyo Idols (Documentary)
Your'e welcome.

I've got two T410s with dead batteries and unknown BIOS passwords. What do I do with them?

W520

My T430 is loud as fuck compared to my T510. Just repasted it, so heat isn't the issue, but the fan gets pretty loud.

>5xxx
Are you sure? The only t430s I can find have Ivy Bridge processors

Use TPFancontrol

> xx30
Not oldschool

What are you taking about
1. The post I replied to referee to that model
2. You can install an old school keyboard onto them

>You can install an old school keyboard
Still not school.

Is ebay really the only place to score an older thinkpad? Do people actually try to sell garbage shit on there or can I be okay by buying one with actual pictures at a medium price from a seller with a good score? Do I need to email them and ask shit about it?

Literally the only difference is the keyboard, and I personally like the new ones better. Old keys were too light

Looking for a modern thinkpad budget 800-1200 usd. Something that would run for years and wouldn't become obsolete.
Also could run LoL and handle heavy ms excel workload and many windows opened at the same time.
Looking for a thinkpad cuz my cool proffessor has one

Attached: 20180506_160344(0).jpg (2560x1440, 1.07M)

So? I just want a powerful model with the old key board; I don't care if it shipped with one or not; just if it can use one in general

Hi all. Is the 240 SSD comparable with a Samsung 850 Evo in read/ write speeds? I have an X200 with the Evo and an X230 with the Intel SSD on the way and I’m trying to decide if I should swap drives between them

>no, but the best deals will generally be on ebay
>yes, but for the most part if you follow standard ebay common sense you will avoid them
>not as a matter of policy. if you find something decent-looking that's missing some info (specs, battery condition, damage description, etc.) but otherwise doesn't raise too many red flags, then email away

I own a bunch of T, W and X series, but never a tablet
Mainly looking at the X200T right now, couple of questions about it
1. Is it CCFL or LED?
2. can it be core/trannybooted without needing a flasher?
3. How sturdy is the hinge compared to something like an X200
4. Does it have that "bubble problem" that the X60T and X61T have?
T470, if you want max performance at the post of having like a 6-7lbs laptop go P50 and don't look back

To my follow Linux thinkpad users. Do you also typically turn off your Nvidia card in favor of Intel's integrated chip so you don't have to worry about the screen tearing prevalent in the NVS 4000 series Nvidia cards?

X1 carbon

The old keyboards are a shitty meme
mushy as fuck and the back/forward buttons next to the arrow keys make for a lot of accidental presses

T470 or maybe X270 but only if it has the bridge battery system.

Everyone just turns off the dgpu in linux (unless you have AMD) since bumblebee is still unstable trash and nvidia drivers, both free and non-free, are cancer

Good to know I'm not an anomaly

T470 or T480 is better option than X1C, because you actually can upgrade them.

This to infinity.

>accidental presses
You must be this retarded.

>recommending x70 when x80 is here
All of the 7th gen thinkpads are already outdated compared to 8th gen ones, the 2 additional cores are really adding a lot of power to your laptop, and it's no placebo even in daily tasks. Upgraded from t460s to t480s and I would not recommend anyone to get dual core ulv shit at this point, especially if value is not your primary goal.

X1s are surprisingly easy to open in my experience. Replaced 2 displays and a battery without a problem

A properly spec'd 80 series is over his budget if he wants 80 gigs of ram and a 1080p or higher screen.