THANK YOU BASED AV1

aomedia.googlesource.com/aom/ /v1.0.0

THANK YOU BASED AV1

Attached: 1280px-AV1_logo_2018.svg.png (1280x710, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media
anandtech.com/show/12835/arm-announces-maliv76-video-processor-planning-for-the-8k-video-future
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Attached: 1529189675470.jpg (500x752, 54K)

now what

Ocean Machine is his best work, his new stuff under DTP and everything since then sucks.

Can't wait for Youtube and Netflix to finally roll out AV1 and provide even lower quality.

To be fair, their current goal is to keep apparent image quality identical to it's current level while reducing bandwidth, AV1 is certainly capable of doing this.

The only real issue is encoding time for AV1 is exponentially longer than x264 or x265. Or even VP9.

How's decoding performance looking? Doesn't matter how fast or slow it is if the end users can't handle it.

Pointless to discuss until there are hardware decoders.

No current consumer media device can decode AV1.

Hardware decode blocks will likely hit sometime around 2020.

>Hardware decoders are guaranteed to be in all future products of most companies

Not gonna be an issue, its just going to take 5-10 years to become the dominant codec

single digit FPS performance even using a high end i7.

this

Nice FUD, MPEG shill. Decoding performance is fine on normal PCs, you're only going to have a problem on some $150 shitphone.

Okay okay lets put aside the hardware decoders for now and pretend phone don't have abhorrent cpu performance in general: how much has SW encoding performance improved. Because last time I checked SW encoding AV1 to compete with HEVC took thousands of more resources where even a DP epyc setup wouldn't be able to reach real time 480p encoding.

Attached: 1520558299296.png (640x640, 708K)

>high end i7
Those exist?

i9 is actually the high end
i7 just another consumer garbage cpu for plebs. just like i3 or i5

Go jerk off about CPUs somewhere else, the point is no normal consumer CPU is capable of playing back AV1 in realtime.

that's not true.

Good source you've provided

Just like you, I literally don't need sources, as we haven't talked about resolution yet.

Attached: 1529962573808.jpg (645x444, 37K)

[citation needed]

>resolution is the only important factor
Thanks for outing yourself as someone who doesn't know shit

I figured you'd fire back about the res because you're just trying to have an argument, not actual discussion.

When talking about AV1 discussing anything below 1080p is retarded.

Hell, even 1080p isn't particularly what AV1 is supposed to be used for, it's meant for 4k and 8k.

>thinkpad™ 220 users shitting their pants because they cannot play back avi files at vga resolution
lmaoing in your general direction

Intel has no high end in 2018+ lmao

And yet they're still better than AMD

Attached: 1483576859013.gif (400x399, 193K)

when are we getting a precompiled binary of the encoder for windows? I'm not building this shit from source.

That's a hot take for sure, upvoted

X220 is high end, I'm using a T60

they really do have autism, don't they?

Then you're already unable to play most content on the web as it is, at least anything high def and high framerate.

720p youtube werks in chrome with software decoding

720p 60fps youtube barely works on the X220. Occasional stutters, especially if you're using an external display at the same time.

60fps indeed is something else, not sure why
Werks fine on my other laptop, a W520

>W520
Has a lot more thermal headroom compared to the X220

Does the X220 throttle a lot? It also only has a dual core

Unless you (or the person you bought it from) has replaced the TIM in the last year or two, yeah it throttles a lot.

Even with new TIM it throttles under somewhat normal loads.

Just another 4 years until the hardware encoders arrive.

probably less than that since all of the major hardware companies are in the AOmedia group.

I'd say mid to late 2020.

>hardware encoders
Yikes

Considering most flagship phones have hardware HEVC encoders for 4k/30 or even 4k/60, it isn't too far fetched to think AV1 will have hardware encoders within a few years.

I unironically use nVidia shadowplay. I don't want to encode at 1 fps.

AV1 is meant for streaming so 1080p and even 720p are going to haunt you for a long while.

We wait two years for actual hardware support, which is necessary since the decoder is pretty heavy.

most people won't notice, so it's fine

I doubt most streaming providers will both moving lower res stuff to AV1, the encoding time isn't worth the bandwidth savings.

AV1 saves a ton of bandwidth at 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, and 4320p.
Not so much the case with SD stuff, though it still offers 20% improvement, nowhere near the 40%+ you see with 4k content.

I am decidedly apathetic about the video codec for the next ~2 years it will take to get HW acceleration, but can anybody tell me when we can use the I-frame coding to finally kill off jpeg, gif, and png?

more like less than 2 years.

fucking sucks, my media server don't support it and my streaming player devices sure as hell don't. so fuck. current combo has been doing fine playback/format support wise for long time now, be a fucking shame to change it up just for one lousy format if it takes off and everyone (scene groups) all jump to it. fuck, my avi/mp4/mkv and my h.264/mpeg-4,etc formats are good as is. why fuck with something if it just works?!

You can keep using h.264, AV1 is supposed to be a royalty free answer to HEVC and the successor to VP9 (among other things)

Hell look at Jow Forums, it still forces VP8, so just because the successor exists doesn't mean you must change

Wait until ffmpeg writes their own decoder. The VP9 decoder in libavcodec is 1000x better than libvpx.
With AV1 you'll most likely get 4k 30fps realtime on high end CPUs and 1080p 60fps on anything decent.

H264 will be used for years to come. It's going to stay the default for everything and AV1 is going to replace it only at 4K and above for now. The only way H264 will go away if it AV1 is optimized/matured enough to make significant improvements over H264 at 720p/1080p that make it pointless to keep using the H264 version.

They are an absolute must for streaming, which is the entire point of this codec.

>why fuck with something if it just works?!
read the articles, dumbfuck. h264 is not going away for HD. AV1 is meant to replace HEVC at 4K and above which is fine since most people don't use 4K yet.

I repeat, h264 will remain the default for HD for years to come since there's so much hardware that supports 1080p/60 right now that works fine.

Why would this finally be the thing that kills JPEG and GIF? WebP was perfectly fine and Mozilla got scared Google would fuck it up somehow so they refused to implement it.

Is AV1 at lossless really much better than PNG?

encoder != decoder

encoding SIPs (VCE, NVENC, QSV)are very useful for streaming, why would you want to run a software encoder for impeccable quality at a major performance hit to the CPU when you will be compressing it to 3500kbps or less anyway, the hardwares can offer a very comparable output at this bitrate with the benefit of a much lower CPU footprint

Because compression efficiency is very important for 4K and soom 8K. Don't tell me you're still streaming 480p live gameplay from your xbox 360, what are you, poor?

it isn't me compressing it, the twitch and youtube infrastructure limit it to 3500k unless you're a partner then you can get higher

also i'm not a streamer don't assume "a usecase" is "my usecase"

Then that's dogshit, even with AV1 4K would look horrifyingly bad at 3.5mbps with HW encoding.

bitrate sensitive applications could stand to gain as much perceivable quality if you're going to be starving them anyway

Youtube/Google is in the alliance, if it is really that dogshit then they will up the bitrate users can upload aat

again, i'm not twitch and youtube, that is just what they tell their users

why mention "bitrate sensitive applications" in general when we're talking about AV1 specifically?

it was more towards non-cpu over cpu encoding, not the codec

Because SW encoding is so abhorrent it sounds like people will use HW encoding on AV1 exclusively.

but the application is the codec
talking about encoding is useless if you're not mentioning what we're encoding in the first place

all words and no weight

yeah, current encoding times are horrible, what I can encode in 1 hour on h264, takes 40 hours with av1.

the application is twitch/youtube

>implying broadcast industry will adopt something else than HEVC
AV1 is dead outside the internet

Man I don't even want to use HEVC for transcodes but you freetards just can't get a fucking grip. You guys couldn't make daala work so you begged google to stitch that dead corpse onto googles stillborn VP10 child and are expecting a miracle.

>implying broadcast industry will adopt something else than HEVC
Because they like paying for encoding, right?

I think it is you expecting a miracle

even if they fail the idea that a coalition of internet companies would come together to try to create a royalty free codec is exciting.

and yet it seems like you want NO ONE to be optimistic about it

Because I'm a pragmatic fuck who has seen where meme codecs go. Give me a single objective reason why AV1 will be different. It's been years and this stupid fucking meme hasn't even begun to walk much less take off.

Because Netflix and Amazon will adopt it.

ie.: "hey if you guys make this stupid piece of shit more efficient and faster than HEVC we'll consider adoption"

imho the only reason google even used VP9 was because they spent so much time working on that piece of shit and the video engines kept harassing google to use it so we wouldn't forget it like we did with daala. There's still no fucking 4K60fps VP9 decoders for phones.

the difference is the fucking coalition.

when have all, and I do mean all, these companies ever worked together for a singular goal of not having to pay money for royalties

what is a better motivator for companies than "save money"

as I said even if AV1 doesn't completely obliterate HEVC (which I don't think it will either) it will still be used on the side just like VP9 is now both in software and hardware

If it doesn't make my anime viewing experience better then I do not care

Attached: donald_trump_angela_merkel_g7_summit_2.jpg (727x727, 163K)

>Is AV1 at lossless really much better than PNG?

It should hopefully be very slightly better than FLIF, so about half the size of normally compressed PNG and still quite a bit better than crunched PNG. The thing even more important than moderately better compression though is that basically every device manufactured more than a year or two from now will have hardware acceleration for it specifically, which means it won't be as likely to get stuck in a rut like WEBP and every other special snowflake format.

Attached: flif_chart_by_total_bytes.png (700x380, 21K)

Not on fucking streaming sticks, phones, tablets, and paper thin laptops it won't. You know, the things that 99% of people use right now? Saving money won't mean jack shit if they believe people won't even use the fucking alternative video streams.

This is all in the midsts of people expecting 8K TV and movies to be the norm soon too. I just have very little reason to believe AV1 will take off. All these corporate pepe rallies are meaningless when it's dead on paper.

re encoding their whole video database is cheaper than serving it as it is now?

>people still responding to the tripfag
dis nigga does not think long term

>Not on fucking streaming sticks, phones, tablets, and paper thin laptops it won't.
Dude, what the fuck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media
>ARM
>Intel
>AMD
>Nvidia
>Google
>Microsoft
>Amazon

Adoption from the makers of the software, CPUs, and GPUs in all those devices.

I am not talking about random joe schmo downloading an encoder and using it, I mean support in hardware and software will be native on literally everything you just listed

>It's been years and this stupid fucking meme hasn't even begun to walk much less take off.
It's been in development. Did you expect a fully finished standard with optimised encoders and decoders to fly out of someone's ass the same day AOM announced it?

>Not on fucking streaming sticks, phones, tablets, and paper thin laptops it won't.
Why not? Once hardware decoding (or even a very good SW decoder) shows up AV1 decoding on light hardware should be completely feasible. And the slower encoding isn't an issue there, because people like Google and Netflix can easily justify the CPU time in order to reduce traffic.

>re encoding their whole video database is cheaper than serving it as it is now?
I'd guess they'll just start with encoding new videos from popular channels, and expand from there.

mark my words, DAALA 2.0 and just as DOA

Attached: 1290479667535.jpg (243x349, 12K)

Netflix has been using VP9 when streaming to desktops for like two years now for being royalty free. They skipped HEVC altogether for being a clusterfuck of patent pools.
They will move to AV1 as soon as a decent encoder shows up and decoders are mature enough.

>There's still no fucking 4K60fps VP9 decoders for phones
I was under the impression the latest Snapdragon and Exynos chips supported 4k 60fps with both HEVC and VP9.

And you sound really fucking jaded.

>"On that note, however, this processor willnotinclude any support for the upcoming AV1 codec."
WOMP WOMP WOMP

anandtech.com/show/12835/arm-announces-maliv76-video-processor-planning-for-the-8k-video-future

Attached: 1959365039576.jpg (531x683, 73K)

>don't buy processor until it has AV1 support
simple.

No one is denying it uses elements of Daala, there are even lectures online detailing what was and wasn't ported over from Daala, not everything got in because *gasp* the coalition has multiple members not just the Xiph.org

yeah intel didn't update partial support in the latest QSV either, o-oh man It is TOTALLY DEAD.

You also talk as if when codecs are release all development stops on them, they will continue working on it after it does release, not just ship it and stop

MPEG now hires tripfags to shitpost on Jow Forums. What a world we live in.

AV1 HW shit is not expected until like 2020. Come back with technical arguments to sperg about this codec. I'm sure your employer has some.

Then it'll get postponed to 2025 then 2030 and then 3030.

Literally free codec updates controlled by cloud service people. No normie is going to "select" an alternative stream, it will all be selected for them because it's free to OEMs, cheaper for everyone involved, and helps push other shit on top of regular video. Google made its own fpga/asic designs just to get VP9 pushed into production. They spare no fucking expense.

Check out this negative nancy. Do you even want a royalty free codec to succeed?

He's just a shitposter. He couldn't care any less about any codec. He just wants your (you)s

This is fucking bananas man, we all know what happened to daala and you expect it will be different this time because some corporate cock suckers told you """"*they""""" "support" it? Look how fucking stripped the freetard community is man, you got all these toys to play with but they're so bad you all end up going back to the things that "just werk", linux can't even beat the faggotOS in market share.

Call me a shill, shitposter, whatever but I'm tired of all these "h-hey guis av1 will be different this time, I promise!" shill threads. I didn't even want to post here but that's how annoyed I was.

so is that a no?

It won't be different. It will be the same as the last dozen free audio and video codecs that succeeded. Nobody has an interest in shutting anything down except MPEG-LA and they're pretty done. You should stop shitposting though, (You)s are known to the state of california to cause cancer. And a symptom of cancer.

>still replying to nonfree shill bait.

why? just let the cuck, bitch and moan. honestly once everything can be software defined all this nonfree patent shit is going to die, hopefully for good.

God tripfags are such pieces of shit.

He doesn't know anything. He's just trolling you for (yous)

AV1 has nothing to with the Linux marketshare, user. The companies backing it have pretty much ensured that you will be using it along with the rest of us, very soon :)

>we all know what happened to daala
That it was discontinued, alongside VP10 and Thor, in order to combine all that development effort into a single codec backed by 20 big name players in the industry to show MPEG the finger after the disaster that was HEVC?

Yeah, we know that. But apparently you don't.