/spg/ - Smartphone General

NOTCHED edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: LG-G7-iPhone-X-ZenFone-5-P20-Pro-notches.jpg (1600x1000, 530K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techradar.com/news/these-5-lg-phones-with-bootloop-problems-entitle-you-to-a-big-payout
nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-8110-4g-to-get-whatsapp-as-it-is-available-for-kaios-teased-hmd/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
blog.thijsbroenink.com/2016/09/xiaomis-analytics-app-reverse-engineered/
theepochtimes.com/spy-software-found-pre-installed-on-lenovo-huawei-and-xiaomi-smartphones_1748900.html
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/8mfgor/for_anyone_having_trouble_bypassing_the_360hr/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck, just missed it on the last thread.

Xperia owners: does your phone ever have trouble charging?
I love my Z5, but every so often it seems like charging cables just stop working on it and I need to swap them out. They still work on other devices, just not consistently on the Z5.
I'm looking to upgrade soon and I'd like to stick with Xperia, but I'm wondering if anyone with a newer model has ever encountered charging issues.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-18-05-51-53.jpg (1017x1161, 296K)

For me, its the s9

does redmi note 5 need custom rom?
for example getting a custom rom and kernl on my last phone allowed you to have better battery life, less heating issues, and better overall performance because the stock rom was shit.
but people have been saying redmi stock rom is good, so is custom rom worth it?

You can probably use a custom rom or wait for them to release MIUI 10 soon, either way I suggest unlocking the bootloader now because there is a 3 days period so do it ASAP.
I am upgrading my Redmi Note 4 to Lineage which will give me a btter experience with the phone.

Got the s9+ for 625 no contract. Wanted a pixel 2 XL but it was about 200 more and no headphone jack. TouchWiz really is horrible and the Whitestone screen protector I had to install just made me realize why the iPhone is so popular.

I never buy new. Replaced my 5x with a active s8. I hate Samsung's software thought I could install vanilla on this thing. There is no dev community for the s8 active.

Had the phone for 2 months now. Turned off all the bloat. Loving the form factor and battery life. Dont hate OS so much now.

S8 active is great phone if industructable and long ass battery are your main selling points.

Thanks for your blog post

whats the best value for money phone atm? prefer headphone jack and microsd slot (latter not required though)

Redmi Note 5

>he doesn't have one of the last two smartphones without planned obsolescence

Attached: lg-v20-g5.jpg (768x432, 111K)

Yeah, until... *bootloops*

Doesn't happen on those two

techradar.com/news/these-5-lg-phones-with-bootloop-problems-entitle-you-to-a-big-payout

I mean it must have happened a few times.

s9 doesn't have touchwiz and you should put a screen protector on every expensive phone you buy you dumb cunt

>doesn't have touchwiz
Same shit with a different name

>it doesn't have TouchWiz
>implying SE is anything other than that pig TouchWiz with a new coat of lipstick
Delusional samshills everyone

Putting a screen protector is not the problem, the problem is that the only good screen protector for the meme curved screen is 45 dollars and needs a fucking UV light to install it.

>Not TouchWiz
Fuckoff

What calendar app should I use?

Stock

Looking at pic related for my first smartphone. No fingerprint sensor enabled on the US version, so I found a guide to flash it to the UK version. I'm also going to have to switch carriers since I'm on a 2$/ month plan I got 20 years ago with Verizon. How does this work with me changing the software on the phone? It seems like users don't have as much control over their phone software as I'm used to on a desktop.

I'm pretty fucking clueless and I'm researching to figure stuff out, but most phone users are pretty dumb too, and just want to get netflix working.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Attached: sony-xperia-xz1-compact.jpg (900x491, 37K)

Apparently they heat up, and modifying it is very annoying

I'm having some last minute doubts.
I'm pretty much set on picking up a Nokia 7 Plus, but the locked bootloader and thus no possibility to root is holding me back.
What are some other alternatives with pure Android in similar price range that have an unlocked bootloader and can be rooted?

From what I've read it only heats up under heavy loading. I only text and call on my phone, and all I am going to add with a smartphone is email, camera, and maps. I hate people that stare at phones all day, and I'm never going to be one of them. Especially no social media or games or Jow Forums on my phone.

well the xz2 comes with wireless charging

Anyone here with a galaxy s9 run Gran Turismo 3/4 on damonps2 pro well? I bought it and Gran Turismo runs like absolute shit, I was wondering if I could squeeze out a little more performance by rooting

i was really interested in the g5 when it came out but the shitty UI and other design flaws really turned me away from it. got the htc 10 instead

anyone else /autism/ enough to visit /spg/ everyday?
I notice redmi note 5 getting a lot of praise here. Nobody mentioning asus zenfone max pro m1? cheapest sd636, 5kmah battery, fast charging, pure android but worse camera but probably improved by gcam.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-06-00-08-43-914_org.floens.chan.png (1080x2160, 300K)

>wipe install of LOS with opengapps installed
>Install LOS without opengapps
>still get prompted to log into google account on initial setup

How do I escape?

nokia 7 plus opinions
i know about the locked bootloader but down plan to root anyway and gcam an be installed without it

>tfw going from 1/4 day battery life with 2.5h screen time to this

Attached: Screenshot_20180705-044104.jpg (1080x2240, 96K)

Well fuck, I wish I knew about this before I just ordered the RN5. Looks much better.

>fast charging

>no official twrp for my xperia x available
>only for xperia x performance
I'm fucked, aren't I?

PS2 emulation is still in early days on Android. I think Gran Turismo simply isn't playable yet.

RN5 is available globally, the Zenfone only in India afaik.

it does on some v20s

The new era of sexy feature phones is here
nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-8110-4g-to-get-whatsapp-as-it-is-available-for-kaios-teased-hmd/

I'll consider getting a small android tablet and one of these KaiOS babies in the future, just tether the 4G signal to the tablet when I need it for a more complex task.

>Doesn't happen on those two
It's just that LG disagrees with you.
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/

which camera app should I use for the p20 pro?

me
all I do is shill the s9 here and call people pakis unironically
-posted from my s9

Attached: Screenshot_20180705-182317_Dashchan.jpg (1440x2960, 385K)

or just get a smartphone grampa

loh pidor

>Redmi Note 5
Quick rundown? I have a Redmeme Note 4 and it's alright but I wanted something not so chinky.

Only the default one supports software enhanced night shots, which are what p20 pro's really good at

I thought russians were too poor to afford a s9, at least that's what the media tells me here.

Need a new phone. Have been looking at the nokia 6.1 and the redmi note 5 pro. The problem is that while the redmi is cheaper and has better specs than the nokia, the screen feels too large for me and for some reason I don't really trust the chinks. What to do? or should I just wait for the nokia x6 global launch because I like the dual camera.
The locked bootloader ain't that much of a problem for me because I don't plan on rooting it anytime soon

It's actually 15 days now, although I did manage to bypass it with the 2 accounts thing when I bought it a few weeks ago.

go with the company with actual local support
aka anybody except xiaomi

I wanna die. Bought an "unlocked" Note 3 at $50, supposedly because it didn't have a SIM card.

I turn it on and it turns out it's the SM N-9002, locked down by a company called something like "China Unicom" and I wanna kmdie because half of the apps are in what I can only guess is Chinese, all of the (occasionally useful) Google bloatware has been uninstalled and replaced with (probably) Chinese bloatware labeled with unreadable (to my manlet brain) characters, and, even though it roots and TWRP flashes nice and easy, flashing any custom ROM to it at all gives me a few non-descriptive errors and fails.

Everything has failed me, be it RecoveryOS, RemixOS, DarkLord SE7, MagMa, or the "stock" ROM.

Please, someone, put me out of my misery.

>not living in a country where Xiaomi is locally available
I pity you, user

what hell hole do you hail from

It's only $50. Accept the fact you lost it and next time don't be an idiot.

пиздop
im just a wannabe slav, im actually a bongloid

Roger that. I just wish, somehow, some way, I could salvage the whole thing. Fuck I hate unfinished projects.

Ebinland :D

Attached: 1459895763444.png (2400x1607, 2.29M)

Just sell it onwards and hope another sucker buys it

Remember, kids: Don't support the notch jew or the bezelless jew. These are not "features" you should want in a phone.

name a more overpriced phone

Attached: Samsung-Galaxy-A6-Plus-2018-3.jpg (650x850, 191K)

remember kids - aesthetics > everything else

Wait what, how? help me Senpai I have no desire to wait 20 more hours.

Wrong. It's fine if a phone looks pretty, but more than that it should be comfortable to hold in any orientation.
Therefore, slim bezels are the objectively best option as they give you something to hold onto without blocking the screen.

>An SD 450 that sells almost 50% more than a RN5 here

shut up
shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up you fucking retard

>having this much buyer's remorse over your notched bezelless abortion of a phone

go away u/g/ly poster

iPhone X?

Slim bezels aren't ugly, user.

Maybe
But at least you don't get an SD450 in it

Thank you kind user

>and for some reason I don't really trust the chinks
And you shouldn't. Also, not just them. Any proprietary firmware.
blog.thijsbroenink.com/2016/09/xiaomis-analytics-app-reverse-engineered/
theepochtimes.com/spy-software-found-pre-installed-on-lenovo-huawei-and-xiaomi-smartphones_1748900.html
>What to do?
Buy a phone with an unlockable bootloader and good custom ROM support. Hint: Not Nokia.

What unfinished product? You've very clearly bought a model meant for the domestic Chinese market. I don't even want to guess how you actually did this (hopefully) outside of China. If the purchase was by any chance made through Aliexpress for example, their company and customer service are very capable of refunding if you provide evidence.

Pixel Experience vs Lineage vs AEX?

Redmi 4Prime

The only countries where xiaomi is locally available are all garbage. Like this isn't even debatable.

>Living in poo or china

Somehow it isn't available in the US.

chinkshit is banned in the US because your government needs to keep telling burgers they have an enemy out to get them so they dont realise their own government is their enemy

Xiaomi's are officially sold in several European countries

For me the Nokia 7 plus. Locked bootloader is not an issue for me.

reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/8mfgor/for_anyone_having_trouble_bypassing_the_360hr/

chinkphones are pretty big in Europe

Reminds me of the Rocky IV. But now this time it's China, only now it's served and fed to people who live off of welfare/minimum wage. Obviously, because those are the only demographics which would believe and take it to heart. No NSA isn't the enemy, but Chinese phones with ironically unlockable bootloaders and substantial custom ROM support are.

What would you suggest around that price point?

Do updates even matter anymore? I can get pic related for "free" (bill credits). Should I? I have the g6 now.

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (1200x1200, 146K)

It's a huge jump in performance and better phone overall, get it

Why can't they just make a fucking normal shaped phone?

God the xperia XZ2 is a sexy phone
I wish they made it in the same blue color as the XZ though

Buying an international version will have fingerprint working out of the box

I have the Huawei mate 10 pro, AMA

I got it using prime now, took like an hour to arrive
Coming from the xperia Z5
Here's a picture I took with it

Attached: IMG_20180701_182315.jpg (3968x2976, 2.01M)

For how much?

>For how much?
Cost me $550, $580 with tax

Battery life is phenomenal, of course

screen is honestly not as nice as I expected it to be, I feel like the Moto X first gen was more impressive to me

Attached: cat....png (480x472, 253K)

which phone?
how to put some decent icons on huawei, theres googd stock themes? i was thinking about getting the p10 pro.

Looks okay I guess
Nothing for me though since I still need a headphone jack and a micro SD slot

see

Attached: 1fcd43a9-d90d-4c68-93b6-f83c818669a0.jpg (223x209, 16K)

I've never had a phone before and i need help choosing:

sony xperia xz1: i like how it feels in my hands
samngsung s8: okay price and every guide is telling me to get one, but i kind of dont like the edgeless design

I need a phone for camera, playing games, and some work stuff

both have shit battery life.
i had both so:
s8 - screen, cameras, size, its fragile.
xz1 - sony skin, fingerprint scanner, updates, camera isnt as good as s8, its much bigger, lcd screen is a no go for some.

>sony xperia xz1: i like how it feels in my hands
No point in getting a phone if you don't like the way it feels. Snapdragon 835 is also still great for phone games.

Do you have it? I was thinking of holding out to see the pixel 3.

>micro USB

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT (if you can hide the notch that is)

Attached: xiaomi-redmi-6-pro-1.jpg (478x544, 36K)

>$50

who cares lol

What should I do with my old htc one m8?