Attached: big_thumb.jpg (450x338, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7LMP8KIwk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FAT32

murdering your wife while maintaining a filesystem

Linux

CIA

Attached: 1536241294129.jpg (1440x1440, 220K)

Attached: 1531127490476.jpg (450x338, 62K)

2. OP

My birth

>implying you even know why ntfs is bad and are not just repeating random things you've read on Jow Forums

it's great actually

AMD

WinAPI

Why NTFS is bad again?

pepe

Attached: frog.jpg (754x1158, 85K)

NTFS has some nice features. Too bad none of them are ever used, and it ends up being FAT32 with bigger file sizes and native LFN support

Jow Forums

only downside of ntfs is that it is proprietary but as linux user i've had zero issues with ntfs drives on my machines.

that's apu retard

Why don't microbenis make a new universal FS for windows, written from scratch?
I heard/read a few times that NTFS source code is a goddamn mess.

No, it's retarded pepe, you normalfaggot.

Tux

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

stop posting your pic on anonymous imageboard

Fragmentation and no protection against bit rot are two big reasons to says that NTFS is utter shit.

That's Apu Apustaja.

Short answer: easier said than done.

Longer answer: it's an incredible amount of work to develop a new filesystem from the ground up. An incredible amount of work on top of that to find and fix the inevitable bugs you get when you make something new and complex. The NTFS source code might be a goddamned mess, but it's a mature enough system to be about as stable and reliable as it can get. It'd take years to get a new system to a point where you could reasonably trust your data with it.

No, it's retarded pepe. That's how normalfaggots call it.

It's apu, that's how the Finns named it

Why won't windows support Linux filesystems?

>Fragmentation
is only a downside on HDDs but not on SSDs

User permissions for one.

DirectX

Attached: 1531003108278.png (1817x488, 462K)

Not really, for certain workloads (e.g. databases) fragmentation is an issue regardless of them being stored on SSD or HDD.

Attached: hansriesen.jpg (1024x768, 235K)

yeah and why is that so?

> retarded pepe
> you normalfaggot
That's the joke, right?

man I wish I could still use reiserfs

DO IT!!!!

YES I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got double quads! HANS RIESEN

@66670004
And only you care

Riesen is pretty good.
-t Australian who can only buy them from Aldi.

Hyperthreading

Ntfs fucks up my external drives constantly. Honestly I feel like they corrupt more often than fat32. It does work well enough to be acceptable on internal drives though imo

There are 3rd party "free to use, 0 warranty" programs/drivers that can do that. Too much risk, too much work (they would have to develop them from 0 using clean room engineering) and little gain for them.

why is NTFS so rubbish? Linux doesn't have issues with fragmentation

Because it's 20+ years old.
It was actually a great filesystem, haters are morons.
But it's woefully out of date today and there are many better choices.

Microsoft has tried replacing it several times, but each time they fucked up the replacement during development and each time it got scrapped right up to ReFS - which is the only MS built replacement to ever see use outside the lab.

NTFS is faster, especially on HDDs. Fragmentation isn't really a problem anymore since Vista era. Windows defragments the HDD whenever it's idling.

Here's screenshot. I never seen HDD fragmentation on Windows 7.

Attached: Disk Defragmenter.png (645x512, 29K)

Linux
Thinkpads
AMD
Chinkphones
Custom ROMs

Attached: 1530149385339.jpg (625x626, 63K)

do you mean garbage collection? that's done by the disk controller and not by NTFS

because you have it set to defrag every wednesday

Because you have the defragger set to run weekly.

Then what does e4defrag do?

It's default the setting. But everytime I check it, it's never fragmented.

Defrags, of course. But Linux filesystems take more steps to avoid getting fragmented in the first place than Windows does, so it doesn't get to be a problem.

Because it's been defragging them. When you defrag something, it becomes the opposite of fragmented.

(You)

Fragmentation

Point is, Windows does this constantly when it goes to idle. It never gets fragmented.

I know. Because it's running a defragger. On my other filesystems, I don't need to defrag my disks because they do not fragment.

But then this isn't an issue of the file system itself, it's an issue of the Windows implementation.

sounds like it'd be bad for laptop battery life or SSD wear...

It doesn't do it on SSDs or if the laptop is on battery. Only when plugged in.

>Trusting pajeets to make a file system
If anything, we are going to be stuck with current file systems for the next 10 decades since old talent is leaving the industry and new blood is a bunch of poos, code camp stacies, SJW activists and neutered mentally ill trannies

Checked.
Checked again.

Noice.

Attached: 00000000000000000021e800c1e8df51b22c1588e5a624bea17e9faa34b2dc4a.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Digits were a mistake

lel

2. x86
3. Xorg extensions
4. gLibC
5. OpenSSL

ASCII control characters. There should have been only one, and it should have been the line terminator.

6. GNU

Amen. Formatting should be the responsibility of the file format, not the character encoding.

But they have the money and had 25 years...

They're also colossal fuckups in just about every known way.

-Solaris
-Overuse of "thin client" terminals in industry.
-GitHub

this

Loonix distros for desktop use

i know right
how can a New Technology File System be bad?
OP is full of shit

Install Gentoo

It is inherently flawed by design as it requires constant defragmentation. Simply using the filesystem causes fragmentation. Files are spaced out on the disk to have maximum space between each other, rather than keeping them all in one place together, which means that accessing multiple files for one program requires reading from all over the disk and over time this is likely to get worse as files become more and more disorganized.
It’s like throwing all your shit in a drawer with no rhyme or reason. Makes you have to dig through a bunch of shit to find things.
>oh but constant defrag is OK
If you like your disk to rw more than it needs to and shorten it’s lifespan, than yeah, it’s OK

Registry

>disk
>that 36 years old boomer who still uses spinning disks

>HANS RIESEN
Ries Heins
youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7LMP8KIwk

OS ?

That's the best thing he did.

tbf most women deserve to be murdered

Attached: Temple Runner 2049.jpg (350x350, 31K)

Checked.
Also the modern smartphone industry is pure, distilled cancer

Attached: shrekatski.jpg (478x850, 45K)

you just proved his point, you don't know shit what fragmentation is, what causes it or how to prevent it

CHECKED

Attached: umarangers.gif (540x232, 1.35M)

Remember when Vista was supposed to introduce Microsoft's new journaled file system?

I guess you talk about WinFS. It isn't a filesystem but a file store and metadata database working on top the filesystem. To put in another perspective, it functioned similar to BeOS fs but on userland so contrast to what Gates says it wasn't an innovative feature. Some features I think have been incorporated in MS SQL Server. NTFS future is ReFS introduced in 8.1 and is built similar to ZFS/Btrfs. It lacks yet some NTFS features and is nowhere near ZFS' reliability.

>Files are spaced out on the disk to have maximum space between each other, rather than keeping them all in one place together
This is exactly how ext4 works in order to prevent fragmentation. The issue is when parts of a file are all around the disk, which can happen if you put files one next to other and then for example you try to increase size of one. That's how NTFS works and why it needs defragmentation.

Niggers

Behold the most balanced digits

What file system is best for long term storage?

Literally the other way around. Files are all written together and when they increase in size parts of them need to be written in another part of the disk, where there is free space, thus becoming split into fragments, or some might even say... fragmented.
Fucking brainlet.

Attached: 1530818405837.jpg (850x1202, 82K)

Oracle buying Sun

fucking checked you awful nigger

Attached: check.jpg (1920x1080, 97K)

ZFS is hands down the best choice.

NTFS is not as terrible as windows' inability to handle many aspects of what NTFS supports (case sensitivity for example)