>For monitors include purpose and graphics pairing
>NO Speccy. Use HWinfo
>For Win7 in Ryzen pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>Athlon 200GE - Bare minimal desktop/gaming
>R3 2200G - Light gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - If you have a $2000+ budget and don't care that it'll be superseded by 7nm CPUs next year
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Wait for R7 3700X - Surely the best overall and not a massive disappointment like the 9900k
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than previous gen
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others w/ small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 w/ Freesync or 1060 6GB - standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb - lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti but awful value
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models
>Always consider FreeSync w/ AMD cards
>FOR GAMING START YOUR BUILD WITH A MONITOR FIRST, then make your build to drive it appropriately

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: lucky.jpg (1953x1382, 600K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd4rLJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487388
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487411&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932012
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126199&cm_sp=Homepage_Dailydeal-_-P1_14-126-199-_-11142018
pcpartpicker.com/list/NkHwpG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shut up kelvin
>imb4 incel inside

Attached: 1492216863245.jpg (469x312, 20K)

2500k and r9 Fury here, anyone else with this combo? How is it holding up? I'm at 1440x2560 144hz freesync. I've been getting a lot of crashes in the past year for a variety of games, ie cant even get Doom to run past chapter 6 before it crashes.
Maybe its time to upgrade next year.

theres a store selling cheap rx570 4gb in my country, should i pair it with my 8400? or should i keep saving for a 1060 6gb? i cant aim for a 1080ti yet because i'm a poorfag with bills to pay

Newfag here, I don't know anything about memory clocks, I'm just building a gaming rig. Is the 800 mhz memory clock bad in vega 56 cards? What does this mean for playing games?

thank you sir!

>Would a 3770k be good for dedicated streaming in a dual setup?
Eh. A 2700X will encode on the same machine at the same time as playing a game better than a 3770k will just encode. Or game for that matter.
I can't think of much use for that CPU except for general home server use.
You could reuse the DDR3, case, PSU, and stuff, and put in with a used 8 or 10 core Xeon that you use for dedicated encoding instead.

They certainly don't OC as high. People are just getting black screens and crashes when they try to reach the stock performance of the factory OC ones stock.
Simply setting a higher power limited shouldn't cause a crash, for that matter. These cards don't even let you change voltage. Power limit isn't voltage. It's just a TDP change.

So maybe the rate of them having the reported issue isn't as high, they're still junk and not the performance advertised by the FE which was sent to reviewers.
As far as I'm aware, none of the junk models were sent to reviewers. The ones tested are all ones that reviewers bought themselves to see that they're not as good.
Nvidia is very clearly trying to bait and switch people, when their bait isn't even very alluring to begin with.

Just reinstall windows? That's probably your issue.

There's no sign of 1060s getting cheaper.

I've not heard of Vega56 memory not overclocking to 900MHz minimum. You'll likely even hit 925-950 without a BIOS flash. I got 935 on my Red Dragon with Hynix.
A 10% HBM increase is worth about a 7% increase in FPS on Vega, which is higher than usual scaling. They are quite memory bandwidth starved.

Also you can't compare that memory bandwidth to GDDR5/X directly. HBM has a wider bus. Look at the actual bandwidth in Gb/s.

What's the best under 100 burgerbucks all around case for someone who's getting into pc building ?

>I've not heard of Vega56 memory not overclocking to 900MHz minimum. You'll likely even hit 925-950 without a BIOS flash.
Do I have to do this manually or will it just hit 900-950 out of the box?

>There's no sign of 1060s getting cheaper.
thats not what i ask faggot. you amdshills are running out of excuses.

>ask question here
>never get response
You guys are butts

are we getting a new socket or chipset when Zen 2 finally hits or are they sticking with X470

NZXT S340. Best $60 you'll ever spend. It might be 2 years old, but its got great airflow, great watercooling support (especially for vertical resevoir mounting), and great cable management. Don't buy the elite, though, its a waste of money.

>You guys are butts
yes

i like the coolermaster H500, it comes with every meme if you like that
>mesh front
>rgb fans
>glass
>psu shroud
>radiator support
>3 fans included

Both are good, depending on the price.
Get what you can afford and what will make you happy.
There are no more 1080tis at sane prices.

You move a slider in Radeon Settings. Try it in a benchmark and see if it artifacts or crashes. If not, try higher until you hit the limit. Not out of the box, no.

>pesoanon saves money for a 1060 from his meager paycheck for weeks
>finally saved enough
>stock is even lower and it costs 30% more
>saves more again
>they're completely out of stock
Go figure that someone who behaves like you is into cucking yourself.

Ask a better question.

Meshify C, Thermaltake G3, or pretty much anything Silverstone.
Coolermaster Q300L is an alright budget one, baring a few flaws that are expected of a $40 case. Rosewill SRM-01 as well, at $20.

Uhhh same socket but obviously there will be new B550 and X570 chipsets. Duh?

>So maybe the rate of them having the reported issue isn't as high, they're still junk and not the performance advertised by the FE which was sent to reviewers.
Agreed. "bait and switch" is the right analogy.
It'll almost certainly be a new chipset. Which features it will bring to the table remain to be seen, but the PCIe 4.0 rumour has been gathering pace. Regardless, I can't see Zen2 being out until halfway through next year.
Both are good, but what's the price difference between the two? The 1060 6gb and RX580 is about 10-15% better than a 570 from memory? If the price difference is larger than the performance difference, get the 570. If it isn't, get a 1069 6gb/RX580.

>what will make you happy.
an 1080ti would, ty user.
>butthurt shilling this much
i guess Jow Forums was right, amd is for losers
> but what's the price difference between the two
570 its almost half cost because a massive discount.. maybe 40 or 45% cheaper?

Attached: lXSWGjR.jpg.png (1092x1037, 65K)

Yeah, it's not like there is a different core or memory count or anything.
The 868SP or whatever RX560 was shitty, but you could see the lower SP count on the specs.

I suppose you can tell by the clocks. But you could, presumably, have a lower clocked card using the proper die but at lower TDP similar to the Nano. So that doesn't seem entirely true.

RX570 nearly matches 1060 6Gb in DX12/Vulkan. About 15% slower in other APIs. No reason not to get it when it's that much cheaper, especially if you're on 1080p 60hz.
Only reason not to get it is if it's a single fan RX570 or something.

shame
i wanted to buy an x470 board and a cheap athlon and wait until zen 2
hopefully we get x570 boards before the actual processors

>You move a slider in Radeon Settings. Try it in a benchmark and see if it artifacts or crashes. If not, try higher until you hit the limit. Not out of the box, no.
That simple? Are framerates in games still good with stock settings? How much do temps increase from tinkering with the slider?

I'm upgrading my gayming PC on black friday, this is the part list, but I haven't decided on a GPU yet. What GPU would you recommend for this build? I was originally planning on a 1080 TI but prices and supply are too shit. Also I'd like some opinions on 1440p monitors, all the sources I can find shill this monitor as being really good. General opinions on the list are also welcome. My budget is $2000

Attached: upgrade.png (1461x837, 81K)

You’re a fat butt

I have 2 sticks of ddr4 ram at 3000mhz, but I also have a 2133mhz ddr4 stick from a prebuilt, should I install it? Im using Ryzen

>Monitor is most expensive component

2080 for the GPU
Get faster RAM, at least 3000mhz.

Tbh, I'd still get an X470 board now, but I'd probably go with at least a 2600 as a place holder CPU until 3600X/3700X drops. Really depends how long PCIe 3.0 will go without bottlenecking, but you have to take in mind that PCIe 2.0 has only really just started bottlenecking a handful of current high end cards (eg; 1080ti gets around 2% lesser performance on 2.0 at 1440p).
If however you have got a current system that does the basics and you can hold on another 6 months, then wait™ for sure
>t. 1080ti owner stuck on PCIe 2.0
For that price difference definitely the 570 is a no brainier.
For mATX the Thermaltake Versa H15 is my favourite. For ATX it'd be the Corsair 400C/400Q for reasonable airflow and eATX motherboard support in a relatively tiny enclosure. If you've got hard drives and disc drives and want something more versatile and don't mind the size increase, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. All of these have great ventilation.

Where the bloody gobsnaped doo da can I get a cheap widescreen monitor

What's a good CPU cooler to get?

Attached: 1541968043033.png (900x1080, 1.78M)

MSI B450 Tomahawk or ASRock B450 Pro4?

Depends on the CPU.

I got a i7 8700.

Tomahawk.

Sorry if this question is a bit stupid, but I want to know what I should do if the PC I want to build has more case fans than fan headers on the motherboard. With PWM fans, should I get a hub or a splitter or something else entirely?

are you trying to overclock it a lot or just a bit?

I'm still using a 770, 144hz 2K monitor plus two others that I don't use for gaming, should I go RTX2070 or 1070TI? 1080s are more expensive in many regards than the 2070 and the 2070 has better overclocking performance. Should I even bother to upgrade? I've used this card for five years and only now am I seeing significant frame dips when playing Squad, though I have everything on low settings.

Non-K?
As long as it's better than the stock cooler, it should be fine. It's only going to turbo. Any $20 substitute will do.

>Should I even bother to upgrade?
An entirely personal decision.

For non "X", the Tomahawk. For the "X", the Pro4.

I don't think you can overclock on a regular 8700 so it will just be at base speeds.

Fair enough.

oh yeah that's right. just go with a 212 evo then. nice and cheap and gets the job done.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd4rLJ

How's this build? Any changes I should make? Budget is 1500 but the lower I can take it the better, temperatures are somewhat an issue, I live in a hot area with bad air conditioning

>1080s are more expensive in many regards than the 2070 and the 2070 has better overclocking performance
You will have to do you due diligence on this one, as there's a good chance the more affordable 2070s won't overclock as high as the more expensive 2070s, or even as high as the 2000+mhz we've come to expect from Pascal cards. Out of those I'd go with a 1070ti, but definitely consider Vega56 if you don't mind overclocking.

What gpu can drive three 1080p 144hz monitors?

Is the Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 likely to go on sale on or before Black Friday on any of the major retailers? I'm hoping it'll go $235 or below before taxes. Also, is there any difference between the regular and special edition versions of the Nitro+ besides the special edition being blue and the regular being black?

These are largely what I've narrow it down to:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487388 for a 1070TI
and
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487411&ignorebbr=1 for the 2070, since it has the 400A and will likely be a better over clocker with the cooler and better binned GPU. They seem like the better options.

I've looked into used cards in my area but the choices are pretty spartan and nothing really jumps out to me beyond a kid trying to sell his 1080 for $500 because he "wanted his dad to buy him a new 2080TI".

For what exactly?

gaming.

what makes the pro4 pull out ahead for an x? just curious

AIB Vega56 are a bit better than a 1070 on stock settings.
But you can get near a 1080, or even match a factory overclocked 1080, with tweaking. It depends on luck and patience tweaking for just how much more you get than advertised, though.

>How much do temps increase from tinkering with the slider?
IIRC I was able to run 900MHz memory on the same 186W total package.

>I also have a 2133mhz ddr4 stick from a prebuilt, should I install it?
No. Just sell them. It'll downclock your faster sticks.

>Monitor is most expensive component
That should be the norm, or they should be around equal.
Why the fuck would you pay a ton of a GPU only to display a shitty quality image?
MSI boards don't have voltage offset so you won't get the most out of PBO by undervolting.
Cooler sucks ass and is worse than the stock cooler.
Rest seems fine I guess?

>Really depends how long PCIe 3.0 will go without bottlenecking
Nothing significantly bottlenecks PCIe 3.0 x8 yet. Nothing is close to bottlenecking PCIe 3.0 x16.

The main benefit of PCIe 4.0 is that you can do NVMe on a single x1 lane. We could potentially have boards with a half dozen m.2 slots or more on the back of them really feasibly if board partners deem there is a market for it.

That is beyond the needs of most people, however, so it's unlikely would lose much by going B450/X470.

Personally I really want a mATX board with dual m.2 that's not under the GPU, x1 above the x16, S/PDIF or whatever that optical audio output is, and dual ethernet.
I don't think anyone will actually make it though...

lol

I don't know if they still make them anymore. If it's not on sale by Black Friday, I doubt it's going lower.
I do have a Nitro+ Special Edition that I need to sell used.

Nothing can do 144 in every game. Some games only do 60.

Supports voltage offset. MSI boards do not.

pls respond

I'll even treat you with a (you)

>How's this build?
Replace the Vega56 with a 1070ti, save yourself $160 and get a generally faster card that runs cooler and uses much less power. Especially without Freesync, there's not much reason to go Vega.
If you are willing to spend $500 anyway, get a 1080/2070, which are typically even further ahead.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932012

Kudos on your case. The HAF will never die.

Thank you for answering my questions on the vega 56!

Attached: 39427397_p0.jpg (504x600, 131K)

I would love an Nvidia card but the reason I'm running an AMD build is because I don't want to give Intel or Nvidia money after their shitty business practices and overt corruption

Yeah no shit. It depends on the game obviously. High end AAA games have a hard enough time maintaining 144 fps with highish settings on one 1080p monitor with 1080ti driving it. You're likely looking at getting a 2080 ti and seeing if that's enough for you and if not, buying a second for SLI.

Okay.

Have a 3770K @ 4.6 ghz and feel like its struggling with shit tier lows in some games with my 1070 ti. Is it worth upgrading the AYYMD platform and gambling on Zen 2 or cave in and buy incel?

What framerate?

They've still got the Nitro+ listed on various sites but it could be new old stock that they haven't sold yet. If I'm not able to get it, are there any alternatives you would recommend? I know that right now, Newegg is having a sale on the Asus Dual for $200 plus tax but the OP says that it's not recommended.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126199&cm_sp=Homepage_Dailydeal-_-P1_14-126-199-_-11142018

>since it has the 400A and will likely be a better over clocker with the cooler and better binned GPU
Ah, in that case you know what you're looking at. Out of those that 1070ti seems exorbantly overpriced, and I'd definitely get the 2070 out of those.
The MSI's lack of voltage control doesn't take advantage of Performance Boost Overdrive as well as any other board that has it.
>The main benefit of PCIe 4.0 is that you can do NVMe on a single x1 lane.
Ah, good point. More versatile lane usage is a plus with higher bandwidth lanes.

>I don't think anyone will actually make it though...
>There currently is exactly 0 (as in "zero", "zilch", "nada", "none") X470 board
>Billions of ATX and ITX ones
I struggle to believe no board manufacturer sees a market for people who don't want a fat mid-tower but don't want the shit airflow and ergonomics of an ITX case. But I have to face the truth: AMD board manufacturers really don't give a shit.

I've updated my list based on feedback, here is the new one.
could you recommend a brand or model of motherboard? I need a kick in the right direction

Attached: upgraderevised.png (1463x787, 77K)

It's pretty fucking lame, but the reality is it's not much better on the blue side of the fence either. At least Asus had the common sense to reintroduce the "Gene" namesake for the Maximus VI range. I'd probably do naughty things if they were to release a Zenith Gene.
At least there's still some solid midrange options on the B450 range.

Asrock Pro4 if you want to save a but if money, Strix B450 for a bit more or Asus Prime Pro or Strix-F in the X470 range. Need that voltage offset to make the most of your 2600X.

>but the reality is it's not much better on the blue side of the fence either
At least I've noticed a couple of Z390 mobos, so I dunno. We'll see if the B550/X570 or whatever will be any better. Fuck's sake MSI, just allow for voltage offset and you'd be perfect.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-15 Choose A Motherboard - PCPartPicker.png (834x306, 18K)

You'll probably find all of those "Z390" boards apart from the Maximus aren't really worthy of the chipset anyway, and are only adequate for running midrange CPUs or maybe higher end i7s no higher than their rated TDP.

Thanks, I'm going to go with the prime pro

can anyone recommend me an IPS 1440 gsync monitor to go with pic related, ideally with ULMB. hoping to get something good on black friday

Attached: spics.jpg (1152x717, 122K)

>I struggle to believe no board manufacturer sees a market for people who don't want a fat mid-tower but don't want the shit airflow and ergonomics of an ITX case. But I have to face the truth: AMD board manufacturers really don't give a shit.
I have been meaning to email ASRock and ASUS at least.

The only good mATX board for ANY platform seems to be the X399M Taichi.
That's basically exactly what I'd like, except x1 above the x1 and on the AM4 socket. Wouldn't mind paying $200+ for it.

I should specify it needs to not be Realtek ethernet, too.

But yeah you'd think that ONE COMPANY would make a SINGLE enthusiast mATX board to have the entire market to themselves.

Yeah, it's not.
The Z370 chipset, especially, is littered with complete garbage boards that you wouldn't want to even overclock an 8350k on let alone a 8700k.
Doesn't one of the Z390 boards have fake VRMs, too?

Pro4 should be fine.
Prime X470-Pro if you want to spend more and it seems worth it to you.

Also make sure you aren't getting one of the failed-yield models of RTX card.

Hard to recommend any when they cost more, yet are inferior to, the Freesync options. They're mostly 3 year old models with issues.

Looking for good upgrades to this build. Have had it for a year and a month or two. Don't have an exact budget but I don't want to spend more than $1,000 on new parts. Any recommendations?

Attached: 3fcdf78c224086af6a854a266a795c4e.png (664x592, 46K)

What's a good price for a used evga 1080ti sc2?

No worries. It's a great board and excellent power delivery for the money, only thing that erks me with it are the lack of debugging LEDs. I'd still buy it for the price though.

Try to improve you ram to 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 and change your GPU to an RX570 or cheap 580. No one should be buying 1050ti at the current time unless it was a low power option for an OEM Dell upgrade.

is ram clock speed that big a deal? If so, I'll consider looking into ram overclocking. Doubt I can push it that far though.

Around $500.

Wait for Zen2, man.
Maybe get an RX580 while they're cheap as shit.
Vega64 if you really want and are willing to mod the cooler. There is a 64 for only $410 or some shit. Well worth slapping a Morpheus 2 onto.
Get a better SSD holy shit.
Update BIOS and see how much you can OC the RAM.

But yeah, save the CPU upgrade for next year.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd4rLJ
Same advice for the Vega.
You can get that Vega 64 blower plus replace the cooler for less than that Vega 56 costs. Near $500 is too much for Vega 56.

how can I tell if it's a failed yield model?

aside from space, what's so bad about the ssd if i've only been using it as a boot drive?

>aside from space
It's literally the issue.

A400 is slow as far as SSDs go. Especially on such a low capcity model.
Silicon Power S55 is over twice (4x? not positive) the speed, and a 480Gb is only $65.

But yeah space is a big issue too. Really helps to have everything you commonly use on SSD.

It seems that clock speeds are an indication. Failed yield chips are all low reference clocks that you'll find many have the exact same clocks. Nvidia only licenses those out to run at reference clocks.

It is a big deal, yes. And especially so with first generation Ryzen.

How so?

Latency issues.

My go-to sub $1000 build.
pcpartpicker.com/list/NkHwpG
Seeing as you've already got the case, you could swap the Mortar motherboard I've chosen for a Tomahawk.

Please explain to a brainlet what single and dual rank means for ram and if possible suggest what I should use with a 2600X.

Attached: 1506890527699.png (778x512, 36K)

It's how many dimm slots per channel are occupied (eg; 4 sticks in dual channel is dual rank, 2 sticks across two channels is single rank), and preferably 3200CL14 memory, or 3200CL16 if you can't afford it.

can it hold 3 hdd's and 3 ssd's?

>It seems that clock speeds are an indication. Failed yield chips are all low reference clocks that you'll find many have the exact same clocks. Nvidia only licenses those out to run at reference clocks.
Has nvidia always been doing this? I thought I would have heard of that before.
So low ref card means most of those "literally who" brands?
Don't you think if its a failed yeild they should just drop it to 1070/1060 then?
>gigabyte
They're really shit in everything they do. I wouldn't recommend

3200CL14 is really worth paying twice as much over 3200CL16? I feel like it'd barely be half a frame in muh vidya gaems.
Also I still don't know if dual rank is better even after your explanation.

Sorry

>Has nvidia always been doing this? I thought I would have heard of that before
Nope, it's only a recent thing.
And Gigabyte are fine... depending on the product.

Recently got a personal loan for $5000 a brand new setup
>inb4 getting a personal loan for a setup is retarded
I'm building up credit and don't mind being in debt for about a year or two since this is for my FICO score. This new setup is going to for me while i'm in the military and getting a new base dorm.

This setup needs new desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, headphones and chair. I want something at least 4k+ and a comfy chair at least

Attached: desktopsetupimage.jpg (1600x900, 143K)

I don't know if NVidia knows themselves if they shouldn't just keep the GTX branding for the 2060 and below cards (that's Gamers' Nexus theory at least). It's also possible those GPUs will be based on different chips. Also, if NVidia does that binning, it's to essentially force board partners to stick to the MSRP despite the profit margin being terrible.

No it's not, dual and single rank is independent of the type of RAM. Are you getting it confused with channels?

All good dude.
>3200CL14 is really worth paying twice as much over 3200CL16? I feel like it'd barely be half a frame in muh vidya gaems.
At twice the price? Maybe not, although I'd probably shuffle a few component prices around until it was within my budget. The CL16 would just take more effort to optimise and won't optimise quite as well as CL14.
>Also I still don't know if dual rank is better even after your explanation.
Lol, as long as you've got at least one stick in each channel, you're all good. Don't be like the Verge and put both sticks in one channel. And don't go buying single stick memory kits.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NkHwpG
Would be cheaper without the useless NVMeme.
Or could have 1Tb instead for almost the same price.

>Has nvidia always been doing this? I thought I would have heard of that before.
Nope. This is brand new slimy shit.
>Don't you think if its a failed yeild they should just drop it to 1070/1060 then?
Um. No. It's a different architecture.
I mean yeah I suppose they should have disabled tensor cores and the RT cores on the failed yield 2070s and sold them as GTX 2070 or 2060 instead of RTX, though, I guess. I don't think anyone would have complaints about them being anti-consumer, then.

Gigabyte makes some pretty good Z370 boards.
It's just their AM4 boards and most of their graphics cards which suck.

user is kind of correct in that 4 DIMMs populating dual channel behaves similarly to 2 dual rank dimms.
There is technically 2 ranks per channel when you use 4 DIMMs in dual channel. Though there's a little more to it than that.

Not him, but what about 3200MHz CAS 15? Corsair and G.Skill seem to have some of it.

If its twice as much then no but its should really be only about $30-50 more I think.
Maybe look around better.
Cl16 isn't the end of the world you can always tighten timings and get a cl15 or even cl14 if your really lucky
>Nope, it's only a recent thing.
Jesus those guys are making so much money and they're still jewing. Disgusting
>gigabyte fine depending on product
Like their mobos constant failure to accept popular ram.
When ever I see gigabyte mentioned its followed by "don't!"

Damn that's crazy, I thought rank was only the RAM module itself. Now that explains why Ryzen may have issues running high frequency with all 4 slots populated.