>microsoft disagrees
>end up with non-standard kilobyte
fuck this, if you want a 1024 byte "kilobyte" stop using kilo and use kibi

Attached: sR9WU.png (303x252, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/news99.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>everyone uses 1024b kilobyte
>decades pass, and some HDD marketing Jew decides to break the convention and pretend byte is a fucking SI unit now
>consumers fall for this shit
>IEC comes up with the retarded binary prefixes
>based Microsoft refuses to embrace this newspeak faggotry

baste microsoft protecting the every day man!

this
The 1024kb mb came first. OEM kikes need to get gassed.

>t.

Attached: 1526886961928.jpg (1571x910, 174K)

>everyone uses 1024b kilobyte
The truth is that this was never the case. It was an inconsistent mess from the start, with kilo=1024 and kilo=1000 being used interchangeably depending on what was most convenient in any particular situation.

"What is a Kilobyte"
>www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/news99.html

>According to those committees, 2^20 bytes should be called a "mebibyte" and abbreviated MiB; 2^40 bytes should be called a "tebibyte" and abbreviated TiB; etc. The members of those committees deserve credit for raising an important issue, but when I heard their proposal it seemed dead on arrival --- who would voluntarily want to use MiB for a maybe-byte?!

Bit masterrace.

Given that 99.999% of computers use binary, it makes sense to have units in base 2.
The way positional numbers work, each position is equal to the digit multiplied by the base, to the power of the position.
For example, in base 10, 2534 is equal to:

2 x 10^3 = 2000
5 x 10^2 = 500
3 x 10^1 = 30
4 x 10^0 = 4

So, in base 2 (binary), the number "11111111" is equal to

1 x 2^7= 128
1 x 2^6= 64
1 x 2^5= 32
1 x 2^4= 16
1 x 2^3= 8
1 x 2^2= 4
1 x 2^1= 2
1 x 2^0= 1

Now the problem starts here. The kilo prefix denotes multiplication by 1000. You take 1 (10^0), and multiply it by 1000. You now have 1000 (10^3). Let's do the same with the byte. You have 10000000 (2^7). Multiplied by 1000, you get 10000000000 (2^10). Looks logical and ordered -- in binary. Convert that to decimal and you have 1024, which appears arbitrary.
It's the same the other way around, 1000 in decimal is equal to 1111101000, which appears equally arbitrary.

I don't really care about which one is used, as long as it's consistent and documented.

>Given that 99.999% of computers use binary, it makes sense to have units in base 2.
This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Yes, numbers that are multiples of powers of 10 are round numbers for humans but not for computers. But whether numbers are round for computers is completely irrelevant. Decimally round numbers are convenient for humans to do arithmetic with; but computers don't give a single fuck whether the numbers they operate on are binarily round. So the fact that computers operate in binary has no bearing whatsoever on rounding to powers of 2.

i'll write KiB and MiB wherever i can to prevent confusion, but how the fuck do i say that shit out loud without sounding like a pretentious faggot?

Sounds fun to deal with

KimochiByte
MimiByte

I'm afraid you have a severe form of autism or you're plainly retarded

kilo means 1000
so if a kilo byte is 1024 bytes
a byte is 1.024 bytes

You're retarded. Every single company use 1 kB = 1024 bytes...

Also if you think base 10 units are better, why are you using base 2 units? Don't use "kibi" units, but rather kb = 1000 bytes.. but you don't, cause you're a faggot.

What kike bytes are metric now?
How did they do it?

As someone in the field we always used binary because it all start from bit.
2^n bit.

This is how it's always been my sweet child.

Freetards say 10^* is better, but they still all use 2^* ... At least Apple is consistent and uses the 10^* units.

This, who the fuck would want less storage/ram because they're autistic over the number 1000? The amount of space lost adds up with how huge drives are now.

while that pic makes the argument look silly, it's true. imperial measurements have evolved organically out of everyday use. metric is a standard devised by committee. nothing good has ever come out of a committee, ever.

>At least Apple is consistent and uses the 10^* units.
There was outcry from a number of sois about this and Apple changed because of that. Fuck those spineless fruits.

Imperial would be fine if there was one standard.

Attached: binary prefixes orgs.png (1280x905, 268K)

>Every single company use 1 kB = 1024 bytes...
NIST, IEC, SAE, ETSI, IEEE, ISO, and NASA don't.
>kb
That's a kilobit.
>Also if you think base 10 units are better,
Strawman. Nobody ever said that ITT.

>stop using kilo and use kibi
use ISO 8601 first and i'll consider it
till you do, i'm doing what was there first

it would help. there's only 3 countries left using it though, the US, Liberia, and Myanmar. the world should really just become metric using and english speaking at this point. language and units of measure are only useful if other people can understand what you're saying, and metric and english have clearly won out as the most popular.

8bits=1byte (notice its not 10 bits)
1024bytes=1kilobyte

>8 * 0.024
That shit shouldn't be SI.

>till you do, i'm doing what was there first
Already do.
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_DK.UTF-8
= ISO 8601 in most programs and metric units.
Most of my programs are configured to use SI binary prefixes as well.

good man

make sure to say "URI" and not "URL" too

en_GB works though
how is en_DK different?

I also regularly correct people who mistakenly refer to copyright infringement as "piracy".

en_GB uses the British date time format which is an assault on logic and rational thinking.
en_DK uses logicla ISO 8601 time.

it's the fault of fucking Apple.
hdd manufactures used the wrong kilobyte (1000 bytes) for years to inflate their storage, but everyone got used to it.
Then in ~2010 Apple changed the kilobyte definition in mac os.
Ubuntu hipsters followed suit.
Now the world is an inconsistent mess.

Even if microsoft is eventually going to change the unit, there are tons of programs that have 1kB=1024 bytes hardcoded. Basically everything written before 2010. Apple should have stayed with 1024.

how about hebebytes

It's because the number systems are in different bases. k, M, G in base 10 is 10^3, 10^6, 10^9 while in base 2 it's 2^10, 2^20, 2^30. Technically you should use the stupid ibi notation but really who fucking cares. Nobody except marketers (who lie out the ass constantly anyway) ever mix the two up, because the one being used is obvious from the base you're using.

>>literally everyone else uses 1000 byte kilobyte
RAM still uses 1024

or pedobytes or fbibytes

JEDEC standards for memory have been part of colloquial usage for longer than you idiots have been alive. They're never going to be irrelevant, no matter how long drive manufacturers use base 10 standards.
A kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Eat shit.

>But whether numbers are round for computers is completely irrelevant.

I assure you that it is relevant to the CPU and thus relevant to efficient use of address spaces.

>But whether numbers are round for computers is completely irrelevant
No, it's very relevant for actual implementation. Because when you work with powers of 2 you can just shift bits around instead of doing expensive division and modulus. Same reason why people prefer to work with round (base 10) numbers in the real world.

This

Oy vey remember the 67,108,864

I assure you that it's not. Sure, there are lots of places where systems work with power-of-two chunks, like 4kiB memory pages or 512-byte disk blocks or DRAM that comes in 2^N-word sticks. And that means that a file on a filesystem may always use an integer number of disk blocks, which is therefore a nice round number when measured in kibibytes. But that is quite irrelevant whenever a piece of software needs to DISPLAY a file size or similar measure to a user in a readable way. If a file is 427665408 = 835284*512 bytes large, there is no advantage whatsoever in displaying that as 407.9 MiB instead of 427.7 MB _to a user_; the fact that this number is exactly 417642 kibibyte matters fuck all to the computer systems, and is no reason to prefer the 407.9 MiB notation. I can assure you the computer does not care.

(Programmers might occasionally be interested in recognizing binarily-round numbers. But let's be honest, they use special tools anyway, rather than the normie tier stuff.)

Yes, that was very relevant in 1975, when dividing by 1000 was an expensive operation for a processor and bit shifting by 10 was not. But you may notice that we are no longer using 1975 processors. Explorer and ls can in fact afford to divide file sizes by 1000 a couple of times to render a file size in a human-readable way.

It's still relevant internally though. If you make a ringbuffer it's still much better to make its capacity a power of 2, because you can do buf[i & (size-1)] instead of buf[i % size]. Even if the cost is small you pay it on every single access. Not to mention alignment and stuff like that.

So the result is that all the kernel data structures get sized in these round binary numbers. And then the filesystems get these round numbers. And the programmers a layer above still use round numbers by habit. So the base-2 system gets everywhere.

Sure, your file manager can present base-10 if you want to make things more complicated. But the small files still look worse, because that they show up as 1.024KB instead of 1KB. And there's not really any benefit to using base 10, the only "confusion" arrived when people started using it for marketing reasons.

Really, the true normies probably don't know what "bytes" are anyway, just show them percent of storage used and upsell them more storage for an inflated price.

>It's still relevant internally though.
Certainly. No disagreements there.

>And then the filesystems get these round numbers.
No, not quite. The filesystems deal almost entirely with the full-accuracy numbers that are not rounded at all. Sure, in terms of disk block allocation this may eventually result in up to 512 bytes of rounding error due to using whole blocks, but a filesystem internally doesn't do anything interestingly different for a 1048576-byte file over a 1000000-byte file. It just counts actual bytes, and actual blocks used (2048 blocks versus 1954 blocks). The fact that some files have sizes that are powers of two beyond the 512-byte level plays no role *whatsoever* -- the filesystem sees absolutely ZERO relevant difference between 2048 blocks and 1954 blocks. None. Which means that from a filesystem perspective, even under the dubious assumption that there is value in counting integral half-kibibytes, there is no value at all in counting integral whole-mebibytes.

The filesystem doesn't get round numbers. It gets numbers, for which roundness plays no real role, except in the minutiae of the block allocation logic.

>And the programmers a layer above still use round numbers by habit.
Indeed -- beyond the filesystem level, the only real reason for kibibytes and mebibytes is sheer habit. Not exactly what you'd call "relevant".

>Sure, your file manager can present base-10 if you want to make things more complicated.
That would be less complicated, not more. Displaying a 427665408 byte file as 408 MiB is MORE complicated than displaying it as 427 MB instead.

>But the small files still look worse, because that they show up as 1.024KB instead of 1KB.
Yes, if you are displaying a quantity that is naturally aligned to a power-of-two boundary, there is value in using binary prefixes. Which is why my RAM is denoted 32 GiB. But files are usually not such a thing, which is why it does not make sense for harddisks or whatever is stored on them.

O wow, a bunch of non-tech companies don't.

Meanwhile look at every manufacturer when it comes to RAM. 4hcna uses 1kb = 1024, as does Adobe and countless of other websites/apps.

If everyone was jumping off cliffs, would you do it too?

>"I'm a fucking retard who doesn't understand binary"
Kill yourself

Attached: 13543983472399.jpg (599x608, 38K)

Why should we all speak English if it's not even remotely the most spread language?

>t. I have no idea of the math behind technolo/g/y
Fuck off back to le reddit

it is

Senpai, if you specified the base you were using every time it would be the same as using the per-base prefix.

Jewish plot by hdd manufacturers to rip you off. Based MS won't stand for that.

I only use decimal bits. 1 Kibibyte = 8.192 kilobits (on most cpus)

>1kb
That's a kilobit, no matter whether you prefer The Microsoft Kilo or the SI kilo.

>Which is why my RAM is denoted 32 GiB.
what make/model is this?

7 binary digits is 0-127
since computers only use binary and you want decimal than you want 7 bits but with 28 wasted numbers
kys

Attached: basedandredpiled.gif (367x219, 523K)

1 kikebyte = 67,108,864 kikes

Literally nobody used to use the 1000 byte kilobyte until jew hard disk manufacturers realized they could sell a disk as e.g. 8 GB meaning 8 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes instead of the proper 8 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes definition and save money because the disk's capacity was less than advertised on a technicality. Now here we are decades later and manufacturers are selling 5 terabyte drives that really only have 4.5 terabytes.

(((Linux))) has fallen to the scam so it tells you the disk is 5 terabytes when it really isn't. Meanwhile based Microsoft is the only company left standing up to this jewery.

Attached: cbb.jpg (680x610, 45K)

Based and redpilled Microsoft triggers the autists since 2010

>tfw a 6tb hard drive has 140gb lost due to this niggotry
>tfw people who breathe air are defending this

Attached: 1539738927442.png (727x560, 158K)

>wants a 6 TiB drive
>buys a 6 TB drive instead

Attached: 1467116304495.jpg (592x592, 32K)

It's the de-facto "world standard language" for business and commerce. Every international Airport in the world conducts flight control correspondence in English. Every pilot for every major airline in the world must be fluent in English. Communication between ships and harbor Master at all the major commercial harbors in the world is in English. The majority of websites are in English. Most movies and video games are produced with an English speaking market in mind. Programming languages use English words...

>some retard pretended the K M G prefix meant 2^10,20,30 instead of 10^3,6,9
>some other retards just went on using it
>B-BUT THAT'S HOW WE USE IT WAAAAH

1kb is 1 SI kilobit. The other thing would be 1kib.

it might not be the most spoken language in the world but it is definitely the most "spread out"

1 kb = 1000 bit
1 kib = 1024 bits

Yes.
1 kb = 1000 bit = 1 kilobit
1 kib = 1024 bits = 1 kibibit

>not measuring information in yardbyte and footbits

Attached: numberone.jpg (575x373, 105K)

>some retard pretended the K M G prefix meant 2^10,20,30 instead of 10^3,6,9
K in SI means Kelvins, though.

>using a base ten prefix for non base ten numbers
you fuck off

If you're talking bits and bytes it's base 2 from the context. Everywhere else it's base 10. The per-base prefix is bloat.

I would argue that bytes and bits are imperial.

In what world is "water freezes at 0 degrees and boils at 100 degrees" less useful day-to-day than "water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees?"

That's not how he said. To use one over the other is simply arbitrary. I do chuckle that nasa fucked up a mars mission because they overlooked a high school math problem.

*what

0 is the freezing point of brine. That's the base.
212-32 is 180. That's what sets the scale. 180° between freezing and boiling water. It does make sense when you know the origin. Since the scale is 1.8:1 vs centigrade you end up with more practical precision between degrees in fahrenheit without using decimal fractions.

How often is the boiling point of water actually useful to you? Honestly I find Fahrenheit marginally more useful since 0 degrees is the temperature sidewalks and roads are fucked.

>go to micro center
>go check out
>ask cashier for one of the 32 gibibyte drives
>cashier looks at me like im fucking stupid
>"yeah, the 32 gibibyte one"
>GIBIBYTE

Attached: 3DIYyVI.jpg (720x960, 60K)

Physicist here, "kilo" always means 10^3, and is always with a lower-case "k". KB and the 1024 thing is a misuse of established prefixes that only serves to obfuscate the terms. KiB and that lot serve as a decent middle-ground. Don't forget that millilitres is "mL", and that "mega" is a capital "M", since the lower case "m" can easily be mistaken for metres.

England still uses Imperial measurements in certain contexts like roads. The US technically uses customary units based on the Imperial standard before the definitions in England were lost and they came up with new ones, hence why I said there should be ONE Imperial standard. People not knowing the difference between Imperial and customary units doesn't help simplify things.

>it might not be the most spoken language in the world
It is. Mandarin only ranks higher because of native speakers, but English has the highest total speakers.

I recognize that mountain.

>England still uses Imperial measurements in certain contexts like roads
That's as much an argument to stick with Imperial as reminding you that NASA, academia and the military all use metric is an argument to move to metric. It also is not a big deal if people say imperial or "customary units," you can get the message accross
hell, machinists, laborers and a ton of people that make a living out of basically manufacturing and measuring stuff all call it imperial

>That's as much an argument to stick with Imperial as reminding you that NASA, academia and the military all use metric is an argument to move to metric.
I'm not making any argument about which to use. Most people in Imperial countries know how to use metric as well.
>It also is not a big deal if people say imperial or "customary units," you can get the message accross
Unless your measurements get fucked up. Just saying there isn't anything wrong with Imperial except that you have two shithole countries + England using one standard and the largest economy in the world using another similar standard. It's asinine.

Attached: Imperial vs Customary.png (805x578, 40K)

Shut the fuck up nigger
1024 is correct

just like there's 1024 meters in a kilometer you dumb mongrel

Are you fucking retarded or something? Why would you use an SI with a non-SI unit and use it wrong? Kilo is 1000 of a base unit and nothing else.

>>decades pass, and some HDD marketing Jew decides to break the convention and pretend byte is a fucking SI unit now
hurr perhaps if they didn't use a fucking SI prefix they wouldn't have thought it to be 1000 bytes

It's subjective you stupid fucking burger

i objectify ur mom fagit.