Hi. I want to switch from Windows to GNU/Linux and i don't know which distro I should pick...

Hi. I want to switch from Windows to GNU/Linux and i don't know which distro I should pick. I am a noob with Linux but I'm willing to learn. I have some minimal experience with Linux Mint which i installed on my old laptop just for fun. I was thinking about Ubuntu or Manjaro, what would you recommend to a noob?

Attached: Ubuntu_logoib.svg.png (600x600, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

deepin.org/en/
bbs.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=155331&extra=page=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

xubuntu
now get lost
stupid cunt

I started with Ubuntu. There's a lot of bloat, but it's an easy start. Go with XFCE if you want light and customization.

Most friendly for beginners would be gentoo

this, but unironically

Linux Mint fixes a lot of user experience issues which Ubuntu has. I'd suggest using Linux Mint Xfce or Cinnamon since they're both easy to use and extremely stable. Alternatively, you can go for Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

If you want to start in this world I recommend the buntus (Xubuntu is my favourite).
But If you want to ask I recommend you to not start a thread just for this, and go to fglt and read the wiki, and if you still have questions ask in there.

Do arch you coward.

>Xubuntu
It's shit compared to Mint Xfce.

OP here, i have used mint xfce on my laptop for a month now and i think it's pretty good, should i stick to it even for my desktop then?

i'd rather get my dick chopped off and eat cow shit than use mint

OP
just use the following
arch
debian
gentoo

the only good beginner distro is xubuntu

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are both good choices. I prefer Mint because of the privacy policy of Ubuntu.

mint and ubuntu use apt
debian is the first
use debian

Why not just use Debian?

Any Ubuntu variant really.
Like Ubuntu Budgie.

:^)

Install Gentoo

Deepin, it is Debian based and you won't be configuring stuff. Before anyone saying it is a botnet they already removed certain analytic tools, Google, Facebook and Canonical gets more info about you than Deepin does. Beat it.

deepin.org/en/

Linux Mint is also is the way to go.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20181116132611.png (1366x768, 791K)

Which distribution would reddit recommend?

Just use Mint. It's easy to use and convenient. Out of the box it's better than Xubuntu.

arch

I see you desktop all the time round eyes! No need to post it here! HAHAHA!

I think i will go with Debian, i read that it's community based rather than made by a compeny like Ubuntu, so i guess that privacy-wise it's better

debian testing

K/X/Lubuntu a best
Arch is a meme OS used by Discord trannies who swap pictures of their tiling WMs.
Debian is used by boomers.

While you there install Deepin desktop, you like verry verry mush. HAHAHA!

>Ubuntu or Manjaro
Literally the best 2 options for you, I suggest Ubuntu for its newbie friendly nature, or you could go balls deep and pick debian or arch

is debian much harder to install than let's say ubuntu or mint? Because I think that i will go for debian but i don't have entire days to waste. In my experience mint was easy as fuck so if Debian is a bit harder but not THAT much I'm fine i think

debian GUI installer is as easy as ubuntu
but the true magic comes from Linux ability to customization, like separating /root from /home for heavy maintenance
I suggest you GUI custom install

wathever the method, it wont take you entire days, you just have to carefully follow the instructions honestly

Ok thanks, i'll go for Debian then

>is debian much harder to install
Drivers tend to be a royal pain in the ass, to be perfectly upfront and honest. I'd recommend going with Ubuntu, bud. There's literally no shame in it. It's better than Mint, and Ubuntu has some really cool developers, who care a lot about releasing a professional product.

Debian installer is easy but long, but once installed you are done unless you want to personalize it or the goddamn drivers are missing.

Brainlet here, what's the difference between Debian and *Ubuntu besides having some more packages installed out of the box?

Its really just packages
But dont say "just packages", those packages go from essential drivers to icons packs

ram buntu
-2gb xubuntu, lubuntu
4gb+ kubuntu, ubuntu budgie, ubuntu mate
8gb+ ubuntu 18.04, ubuntu gnome

Whats the consensus on KDE neon ?

Debian is freetard, and makes getting drivers a chore. Ubuntu simply asks if you want the non-free drivers installed. Skip the Stallman zealotry for now, and just install what will get you up and running Linux.

>Skip the Stallman zealotry for now
Might as well keep using windows

fedora fedora fedora

Package managers and sources, but nowadays is easy to find distros that are compatible with Debian/Ubuntu packages.

Debian in general is more stable, but that also means not having the latest updates, which again, is not always true as you can now install the latest packages from other sources, there's also an unstable Debian branch.

Community support for Ubuntu is waaaay more abundant than for Debian, also Ubuntu welcomes non-free software, while Debian policies are more about getting everything open source. You could install non-free software on Debian though and some distros offers drivers and non-free packages installed by default.

It's more about their policies than technicalities, and you could change that anyway.

Manjaro just works, I switched 3 months ago. Don't fall for the memes and stupid shit. It's Arch without the autism.

Honestly, just make a little list of distros you might be interested on, watch a youtube video about their interface and functionality and based on that shrink your list or select your distro

Ubuntu

deepin has built in spyware i dont recommend using it

Install Ubuntu, literally the just werks distro.

>Might as well keep using windows
It's not as though non-free drivers contain any telemetry services you dingus. Your comparison is ridiculous.

bbs.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=155331&extra=page=1

Attached: 1495386766305.jpg (674x672, 176K)

low-dpi low-girth low-iq boomers need not reply

>deepinbotnet
how about no

this, just install regular Ubuntu

> which is just a same product as Google Analytics.
Botnet. Try and spin it as much as you want Ching Chong, if it's not turned off by default or capable of being disabled, it's spyware.

can i see some more of the rice?
im considering just getting the deepin desktop environment, it looks good, i hope they didnt put the botnet shit into the desktop environment

The CNZZ tracker tool is for the app store, not the Desktop Environment

>can i see some more of the rice?
You want more rice? You no shill Deepin enough. Deal is handful of rice when you make hundred Deepin post! This is not chairity. Back to work round eyes or no supper for you! HAHAHA!

This bitch has a napkin on he head

Kubuntu

just installed ubuntu + i3 on a t420s, and that wasnt as smooth as arcolinux/manjaro. But if you dont care for i3, just jump onto ubuntu and see what you'll want from there.

all the linux de just look ugly and lack polish

mx linux is the best.