Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/western-digital-moves-away-from-the-hgst-branding.html
google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=helium used for the 8tb wd reds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck no, they're pieces of shit.
>Buy 3 1TB HDDs off Amazon last year
>First drive dead on arrival, would not list in boot at all
>Second drive only lasted like two months, already had bad sectors on it
>Third drive passed testing, seemed good until a few months ago - not even a fucking year old and it shits the bed now
Never again, fuck them. Need to stop being lazy af so I can RMA the shit while it's still on warranty reeee. Also my 1.5 TB Seagate HDD is 10 years old and still running. Not in perfect health but still; bought a new one to replace my dead WD.

Anyone care to share their experience with Toshiba HDDs? Never had any of their drives; tempted to give it a go. Seagate's warranty seems dogshit so I don't think I'll run them exclusively. At least in my experience they usually last me at least five or six years.

On another note, maybe the issue is that I purchased those drives from Amazon and they probably fucked them up during shipping. I don't plan on buying any electronics off Amazon ever again since it seems like everything electronic I buy from them has some kind of problem.

I got had a Toshiba 2TB shit itself pretty hard and died

>NOTE ALWAYS SAMPLE SIZE OF ONE
I've had boxes of hard disks since 1991. The oldest one I have that still works is a 2001 vintage 10GB Seagate (IDE, so packed away). Oldest working WD is a 40GB manufactured February 2004. Oldest working Hitachi is a 2.5" 160GB manufactured May 2008.
>NOTE ALWAYS SAMPLE SIZE OF ONE

HGST/Toshiba drives based on Hitachi IP which is based on IBM IP are the best drives

I have a WD Caviar Black that has outlived 3 Seagate drives. I've used it almost daily from 2011. I'm not sure about the other variants. I have seen some people saying their quality has dropped dramatically in the past 3-5 years so maybe I got an earlier batch if that's true.

or more accurate, which IS Hitachi IP which IS IBM IP as a result of the mergers/buyouts

>inviting the "deathstar" pile-on
Friendly reminder to memeoholic zoomers: there was exactly one model of Deskstar that was wobbly. It had about twice the annualised failure rate of its contemporaries, and there are still plenty of them that work to this day.

>deskstar
nobody buys that shit, i'm talking ultrastar

Not really, they last the same.
Seagate being bad is 2011 thing iirc, when tsunami fucked things up and they had to low their QA to keep the suply, plus one specific 3TB model being shit.
Both are the same these days.

WD Blacks from that era seem to be death-proof. Ran two 1TBs in RAID1 24/7 until only about twelve months ago. Broke the mirror, kept one and put it in an external case, gave the other one to a mate so he had a drive for his shitbox. Nearly 70,000 hours runtime on both, with zero errors, warnings, anything. Should have shotted the CrystalDiskInfo on the way out.

You and I both know the zoomers are NPC bots that leap on keywords: they would have matched "* ibm * drive" and opened their Tide-fresh mouths.

Backblaze uses mostly Seagate because the reliability is solid and they're a lot cheaper.
If you believe WD is significantly better than Seagate then you've fallen for Jewish marketing tricks.

Attached: Q2-2018-Quarterly-chart.png (716x622, 75K)

I've had a mixed bag wd laptop black edition are piles of shit the desktop lasts until warranty ends so like 3 years its usual the controller or cache that fails first as well from experience

most of my seagate drives have lasted 5 years +
I've only had issues with seagate was with the 500GB, 32MB cache. models all of them seem to be trash teir

though i'm a low user.

WDs are fine. I use Reds in my own machine, at work we use Purples in the camera recorders. The only time I ever lost any was when I tried fucking with the firmware to reduce head parking.

WD Greens need head parking removed to work fine though. With that shit on, they'll just kill themselves. Reds are fine with the default setting; oldest models don't park heads at all, later ones park heads after 10 minutes or so (still within acceptable parameters).

pic related is my oldest drive, but I removed it and have been using it as an external now - would be well over 50k otherwise.

>Also my 1.5 TB Seagate HDD is 10 years old and still running

shill post confirmed.

Attached: WD Green with 46k hours.png (619x771, 72K)

Blackblaze is where all the Seagate hate started lol

It was their "DOOM" 3TB drives that were notoriously bad.

Bad production runs happen. I wouldn't buy one of those old disks but I'll buy any newer one.

>Blackblaze is where all the Seagate hate started lol

No, it started way before that. Back in the 00s, they were the 2nd worst drives on the market, after the IBM Deathstars. The only reason they weren't the 3rd worst was because they bought up Maxtor, which was so bad that most stores here stopped carrying them.

I remember doing counts of error corrected sectors back at the time, 15 years ago. Maxtors had a metric buttload of ECC corrected sectors, something like hundred thousands per gigabyte. They probably wouldn't even be readable if it weren't for 10% over spending on space to be used as parity. Seagate had exactly half as much ECC corrected sectors as Maxtors per gigabyte. Samsungs had... something like twenty, for the entire drive. Not twenty million or twenty thousand, but around twenty in total for a 80gb drive.

I've been using predominantly Samsungs ever since then, until the F1 fiasco when there was a 50/50 chance for your drive being DOA. Switched to WD Greens after that; with the head parking bullshit removed, they were decent drives. So much that WD noticed and released the Red drives a few years later.

>I'll buy anything newer
I did: triple ST4000DM004s (here we go... and to really trigger you) in RAID5 - just over three years now, not even a peep.

Works Fine for me. I have 8 in my Current PC, probably around 20 around the house ranging from 28k-46k Hours. All Blacks and Greens.

Just avoid Retail Kits that stores get, like BestBuy or Office Depot, etc. Often they are listed as Blues but are different shittier Models than ones that NewEgg and TigerDirect receive.

Attached: 00025.jpg (2000x1500, 503K)

Problem I have with Seagate now is half their line up is SMR garbage and they don't advertise it for many of them. Also they killed Samsung.

>everything is past the threshold
>status: ok
Explain this pls, I'm a retard.

no.
HGST => Toshiba > Seagate > WD

>uses hdtune
>says anything negative about anybody without dying from hypocrisy

Attached: The Queen and Prince Charles laughing at you, anon.jpg (640x448, 43K)

Read Backblaze's drive stats and decide yourself.

I had ~20 random drives that are all over 15 years old on 24/7 that still work. brand is irrelevant when it comes to outliers.

WD's are fine, only have had 1-2 bad drives in a decade or more.

Seagates I've had a stack of. Fuck em.

Attached: 1446650463238.jpg (540x540, 73K)

>170MB
>1992
That would have cost a bit at the time - most machines then we toting 80-120MB. The el-budgeto 486 I got in early '93 had a 130MB Seagate.

(Me)
Early '94, rather. Need to take my dementia meds, BRB.

These smaller drives never die
Too Simple to go wrong

Attached: 00026.jpg (2000x1500, 630K)

True nough. I had an MFM drive from the 80's that was still in perfect working order.

Then again the manufacturing tolerances aren't as tight.

Attached: chrome_2018-11-16_19-21-57.png (1920x1080, 193K)

Current rankings are HGST, Toshiba, Seagate, WD
Backblaze data will point out that WD got cocky after the 3TB seagate drive issue a few years ago and let quality slide while Seagate corrected course. Seagate desktop drives are beating out WD NAS drives.
However, WD owns HGST and has been slowly merging their tech. Not sure if this will improve WD or make HGST worse though. That's thing with the HDD market - every few years it's different.

HGST isn't a thing anymore. They're all under the WD brand now. Also you can tell they've completely adapted HGST designs. For a little while you could peel off the label to find a HGST one below it.

Attached: images.jpg (276x183, 6K)

HGST is still a thing, they're owned by WD but they haven't been completely absorbed yet and they're still producing Hitachi drives as they were

guru3d.com/news-story/western-digital-moves-away-from-the-hgst-branding.html

All new drives are WD

Speaking about cheap shit - totally no. Seagate is. The cheapest one 4x1TB last me 8 years.

I have a couple of blue and black 1tbs that I've had for like 6+ years now and they are just fine. I am considering retiring them and moving to a single 4+tb but the thought of it dying makes me a bit uneasy.

well if they're still using the ultrastar model naming maybe the enterprise drives aren't terrible? fingers crossed they haven't actually changed anything about the drives

Attached: product-hero-image-ultrastar-dc-hc500-western-digital.png.thumb.1280.1280[1].png (1280x1280, 863K)

I'd bet my left nut that they'll release that 14TB under a WD color label. The 8TB WD Reds are just HGST He8s

1tb and 2tb wd are reliable unlike seagate had

>fingers crossed they haven't actually changed anything about the drives

They changed the WD drives to resemble HGST. Not the other way around. They knew who had the better tech.

really? i don't even see any mention of helium used for the 8tb wd reds

You can literally just google it

google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=helium used for the 8tb wd reds

They call it HelioSeal

They should totally use this in the new iPhones

For what purpose? To make taptic engine run as well as your mom's vibrator?

The iPhones need the helium

anyone know about wd's external hard drives? hope they're good, because I just bought one

They're the best deal going around. For a while they had WD Reds if you got easystores.

They used to.
It seems the quality (ruggedness or longevity I suppose) of nearly all drive manufacturers wend down around the time there were bad floods in Bangladesh or the Phillipines or wherever the drive manufacturers all had their assembly facilities (sue me, it's late) and never truly recovered. All this suspiciously happened right around the time that the powers at be were trying to get ssds to -take- as they say. I've always kinda thought that the two were related, but maybe not.
Anyone that orders mechanical drives from the Internet, shipped, and expects them to work and have the right to complain when they dont should be shot. Ssds shipped only. Pay the little extra and pick up a drive from best buy or Walmart or somewhere.
This, fucking sample size. I have stacks of older drives, working and garbage. I cannot comment on different manufacturers for two reasons; most of the drives ARE wds and I don't have an equal portion of drives from other manufacturers to compare to and, I get stuff when it's already broken and don't get to know what the usage conditions were.

Just get a 6-8 bay NAS that supports raid 5 or 6 or whatever you want. Load it with wd reds or the drive of your choice. With raid 6 you can lose a couple and still rebuild.
Pic semi related, rack 1 of garbage.

Attached: 2018-01-15 20.54.57.jpg (1060x1883, 1.35M)

do note that hgst drives were only reliable AFTER being acquired by wd

i like how that picture even says that the drives that failed the most were seagate, its almost as if you didnt even look at the picture

Never had a problem with either WD or SEAGATE. Only thing is the Seagate vibrates and makes noises more. Sample size of 2 though.

And what do you do when the drives you need in the size you need cannot be found in most stores?

I need 4 10tb drives either iron wolf's or wd reds whatever is gonna last longer. How the fuck do I find that on a shelf e never seen it anywhere. Cuck tier stores only selling 8 tb or if it's higher its some off brand garbage

always get helium filled 15 tb hgst

Oh and also:
>they get damaged in shipping

Nigger the shit has to get to the US in cargo containers on big ass ships. Then by rail to distribution then by truck before it gets to a shelf in a store. Supply chain logistics are no different than at a major retailer how the fuck is that any different than how Amazon gets shit.

You have them special ordered. They do that. Pick them up locally.
Gets shipped here in mass quantities, to best buy, Walmart distributors, even to amazon, less jostling and such. However, Jamal the package handler dgaf about your single drive and sure will chuck it the 5 ft to the conveyor belt.

Attached: you tell me goy.png (663x554, 63K)

Would Jow Forums recommend a Seagate Iron Wolf 4TB over an 4TB Barracuda while the Iron Wolf is on sale for the same price of the Barracuda?
Just need it for standard storage but could latter scrape together a ghetto NAS with it

Get the Wocuda Barralf

mine's alive since 8 fuckin years
I love it
500GB WD blue

I'm using a WD Blue 1TB HDD for more than a year now as my primary and only storage solution on my main desktop. Hasn't slowed down. Works great. Recommend from my side.

10TB drives you say?

Attached: ehh0v0pu2kx11.jpg (3024x4032, 1.18M)