If: New to programming Then: Start with Python

Other than high-end Vidya, you can pretty much do anything.

Learn the fundamentals of programming before you start fucking with other shit.

Saying this for my own benefit.

>32 year old boomer wanting to work in tech in the future.

Attached: benus.jpg (621x408, 48K)

Well, the problem with that is that python is only good for writing glue code for libraries written in C.
Learning the fundamentals happens when you learn C and Scheme. Or C++ and Common Lisp.

>Learn the fundamentals of programming
>Python
You mean like learning the fundamentals of being a blacksmith by telling a blacksmith to make you a gun?

Learn the fundamentals with C, maybe a bit of recursion and functional programming with Haskell and for oop learn Java. That's the easier path for learning how to program I think.

year old boomer wanting to work in tech in the future.

it's hard enough to get a job with a bachelors in CS. Usually people transitioning to a programming job work as engineers or finance or IT or something similar. You just can't go from a blue collar or even a white collar managerial position to programming.

>functional programming

Attached: 21zL1o6RMm_nnEJjzBGv5Y4ZSnh5A3JRf7InVn8VXrg.png (500x676, 603K)

>Doing everything imperative like the brainlet you are

>settling for a model that's completely unrelated to how the machine actually works because reading imperative code is too hard for babby

What if I drop out of academia after a pure math postdoc?

Limiting yourself to how the machine works rather than trying to express the ideas beautifully is a brainlet, pajeet pursuit.

beauty is subjective

You don't actually know how the machine works anymore, and there's no way to program for the lower levels of it. The processor you're allowed to poke is implemented in microcode on a completely different processor that does its own arcane optimizations without you having a word in it.
And if functional programming was so fundamentally different from how the machine works, how come that you can actually run functional programs anyways? There's mathematical proof that lambda calculus and turing machines are equivalent in computational capabilities and that they can be made to simulate each other.
Finally, I doubt the difficulty of understanding imperative programs is solely the fault of the reader. Judging from the security issues and bugs that exist in low-level imperative programs, it doesn't seem like there are enough actually competent people around to justify all the software written in 'smart people only' languages.

are you the retard from the other thread who kept going on about the cache?
>And if functional programming was so fundamentally different from how the machine works, how come that you can actually run functional programs anyways?
because it gets compiled into imperative code
lambda calculus and turning machines are only equivalent given unlimited computing power

> Judging from the security issues and bugs that exist in low-level imperative programs, it doesn't seem like there are enough actually competent people around to justify all the software written in 'smart people only' languages.

Also this. The driver of human progress is the ability to reduce cognitive load for any given task. If computers remained as arcane and as hard to use to the point where they could only be operated by a priestly cast of bearded, shirted white men, then we'd remain with software that ill fits the needs of the end user. Not that there'd be too many of them.

I think it's a great language for a lot of applications. I wish I got to use it more.

I agree 100%

Python is great for actually making something, anything and seeing the magic of programming.

I thought it was cool as shit to do my first few scripts downloading images from Jow Forums and following some tutorials setting up little twitter clone webpages etc. using Python.

Now I'm towards the end of a 5 year combined BSc and MSc in compsci and have learned the fundamentals using C, assembler, java etc. but my passion for programming came before all that, before starting my education, using Python and little online tutorials and guides.

Google learnpythonthehardway, should be a free html version of the book available somewhere. That helped get me going.

Attached: d5thbaj4s2d01.jpg (1536x2048, 293K)

learn lisp first

1. Not all programs are written for intel i5
2. Are you saying that bugs don't ever happen in functional code? [spoiler] they do [/spoiler].
3. Sometimes a 90% correct result today is better than a 95% correct result 2 weeks later.

Attached: artillery-fire-control-system-from-wb-electronics.jpg (800x551, 121K)

Depends. What are you gluing together? Lots of things can be written full python.

Spot the lisp weenie

Python is a shit tier language that you cannot make anything actually useful with. You are fucking clueless if you think that python alone will get you a career.

The picture doesn't even make sense.
"import essay" just loads classes and functions from other modules or source files. It's essentially the same thing as having two java classes in separate files and using methods from one class in the other class.

You can be 99.9% correct and have a broken program because you forgot a semicolon.

>you can pretty much do anything

the question is not if you can do something but if it's actually the best tool for the job

And if the job is learning, then python is the best