How many years did it take you to realize you hate programming?

How many years did it take you to realize you hate programming?

Attached: 1509013836709.jpg (1024x934, 78K)

I haven't user, maybe you are just too brainlet for simple things, how about working at McDonalds instead?

>it's either writing code or flipping burgers

When zoomers started ruining it and the frequency of defacement of code surpassed the frequency of good code being generated.
We must allow the zoomer SJW menace to destroy it for good so we can build anew from the ashes while the world spews fire at the cancer and bars it from ruining our code again. Without complete annihilation, it will just be a prolonged painful circlejerk of people producing good code adding oil to the fire to keep it burning while dogshit feeds off it.

Getting into computational chemistry was a real blessing for finding something actually useful to use my major for.

Bout 2 years of fullstack job.

I still love it, but not the project I am currently working at job

After working a year as a software developer.

>learn assembly and c 2007
>learn c++ 2008
>learn php 2009
>get a comfy internship with full-stach hp+js
>2010, internship gets part-time job
>learn common lisp, find it cool
>2012, internship gets full-time job
>this common lisp shit is actually real nice desu
>2015, realise common lisp is too good
>php sucks
>js sucks
>c++ sucks
>c sucks
>everything sucks but lisp
>start to shy away from dev tasks, start to take up networking and management
>2017, hop jobs to a networking and management job
>don't look back
>hope to get out of my shithole cuntry to somewhere where i can use a real programming language, as real lisps are loldead here

I don't hate the act of programming itself, it's quite fun at times, but I do hate working with inane requirements and all that bullshit we call "software" these days. I miss when it was about being as functional as possible as opposed to hiding as much as possible from the user.

remember to put your CoC on if you hire a second dev or start to take in pull requests

Attached: 2008-10-23-Detour.jpg (525x1216, 318K)

A year after being employed. It should only be a hobby

I started in 2015, I realized I hate it a couple months ago. Thanks god I'm just in college and I don't have a programming job. I'm taking the sysadmin path, I'm sure I love this stuff. I'm kinda fine with programming but just as a hobby

please don't scare me... 5 years and I still enjoy it

the moment I accepted a job with a non-technical PM

Attached: 1523812770190.jpg (547x480, 16K)

this
enjoyed it for almost 2 decades prior, loved it in college, but once I started actually earning money from it, I hated it. been over a decade since I quit, still waiting for the urge to start up again, once in a while I go at it, but never did get back to enjoying it like I use to. still glad I have the skills, but I'll likely never make money from it again.

God this. We have this dumb cunt PM who thinks configuration management is putting software versions numbers in a spreadsheet and wants a new version number for every change to even config files

>I hate my job the thread

I've been programming longer than you've been alive and I still love it. Your IQ is just too low.

use git [spoiler]gud[/spoiler]

Even in college I hated my Aspergery classmates. But I figured I could make easy money sitting in front of a desk all day. But even programming jobs are full of politics. Moreover, if you want to continue increasing your salary over tiem, you have to become a PM or lead developer, lest you get wedged out of your career by someone younger with more energy and more abuse for tolerance.

what's a CoC

>inb4 male/trap genetalia

>and more abuse for tolerance
damn they really broke you

2 month old babies can't type, dummy.

im 2 months in

Attached: 1411871326731s.jpg (250x236, 8K)

I've been programming for 6 years professionally, 10 years for fun, and I fucking love it.

It's the ultimate libertarian capitalist career.
>nobody gives a shit about degrees
>it's all about what you KNOW and can demonstrate
>need literally only a laptop to make money
>no need for a boss or (((corporate resources))) to do your thing
>your only required resource is time
>your job is to literally build things out of fucking nothing
>as you level up (you should be doing this all the time), you'll unlock building and deploying both virtual and physical things

Fact: non-Pajeet programmers are the closest thing real life has to wizards.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (600x840, 362K)

About 2 years into doing it for a living.

Don't hate it, in fact I enjoy it very much. What I don't like is testing which I am glad there are thousands of pajeets to offload that to

I haven't started programming yet.

>>no need for a boss or (((corporate resources))) to do your thing
You are self-employed?

I am doing part time work as a software developer during my CS studies, and I don't really like the constraints that my boss and colleagues put on my project. It's one of the most annoying things to have people tell you how to do something if they aren't really firm in the technology.

not even for hobbies ? so you arent one user, please leave the thread

>non-Pajeet programmers are the closest thing real life has to wizards.
i would argue biochem grads are the closest thing we have to vvizards

Pretty much, there's a company that does the sales rep stuff on my behalf. Apart from existing projects where all the tech decisions are already made, full-time guys are generally given a free reign on how to do things.

Well that only tells me how little you think of wizards.

make me

I was never foolish enough to do it for a living, so never. Only a total retard thinks turning their hobby into a career is a good idea.

This. Accelerationism is the most promising solution to most of the world's problems.

GO TO YOUR ROOM and RETHINK your actions MISTER!

NOW!

Accelerationism isnt for the generation of zoomers, at best it will take place when zoomers will be in the same position that baby boomers are, so in like 100 years
sorry to say user, but almost everyone on Jow Forums will be dead by then

>GO TO YOUR ROOM AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES
ftfy

OK

>Only a total retard thinks turning their hobby into a career is a good idea
Yes. Liking what you do for a living is a terrible thing, it'll ruin your performance and therefore pay grade. No, wait ...

god i hate this "you need to do it as a hobby before and during ur job" attitude.
I dont need to love it as much as you to be better at it than you. And if i cant, somebody can.

Some guy I know is currently making a bunch of money cranking out MVPs in common lisp. He's the 'solutions' guy where you come to him with an idea, he shits out whatever you want no matter how crazy it is, in about 3 months. Somebody buys the MVP and repeat.

Failing that GrammaTech still hires common lisp developers

I was assigned to work as a Level Designer as part of my college GameDev course

Attached: 1532425943666.jpg (720x960, 91K)

this. programming itself is still fun. working with codebases written by someone with no training or qualifications that are 10 years old, on top of having to ensure UAT, change requests, QA, and essentially doing everything for everyone is retarded.

i don't know about you guys but in my job the devs do literally everything. the sales people sell and if they see something that seems odd it becomes a bug regardless of merit. we have one sys admin who basically expands storage and looks after our aws and network infrastructure. my manager is a hatchetman who's job is basically to get mad at people when they don't do something and negotiate requirements with the customer

never said anything of the sort faggot, maybe your going of on a tangent and coming to such a conjecture simply because of your own deeprooted feelings of incompetency
you already lost before you even begun nigger

When were finished, it will be.

The problem is you won't like it for long. Programming is how I spend my free time, I work as a diesel mechanic during the day. I like both my hobby and my job. What I certainly wouldn't like is programming for a company that tells me what language, framework, design pattern, and conventions to use while also setting crippling deadlines and restrictions, all while expecting me to debug the shit code they got back from Rajesh when they tried outsourcing work to India to save money on work that they would otherwise be paying me to get right the first time. Wage-slaving in a cubical is self-flagellation in repentance for arrogance.

Basic was my favorite game on the MSX i had, so never.

>The problem is you won't like it for long.
That's a meme, and you could easily triple your income by changing fields.

>describe a worst-case scenario as the norm for the industry
Uhuh. Besides, there's an IQ gap of almost 30 points on average between a diesel mechanic and a programmer, so I have my reservations about your capacity as a programmer anyway.

>trying to read intro to algorithmics and keep tabbing to gachi and random youtube shit
what do i do brahs, its been 2 days since i started and im barely 10 pages in

>you could easily triple your income by changing fields
>Programmers make $210,000 per year.
That doesn't sound right.

>there's an IQ gap of almost 30 points on average between a diesel mechanic and a programmer
How could you possibly even know that? If anybody ever approached either a diesel mechanic or a programmer and said, "Excuse me, do you have 3 hours to waste taking an IQ test while doctors loom over your shoulder?" the answer would be "No" 100% of the time. Either you pulled that number straight out of your ass or somebody else pulled it straight out of theirs and you stupidly believed them.

It really depends on your project. For my first job I had to work on this total piece of shit MS sharepoint addon. Every day felt like a waste of my life, just piling junky code on top of already junky code.

Then at my next job I was cranking out small time apps for clients every 3-6 months. It was a lot more fun because I was able to build it from the ground up and architect it however I chose. Then every time I started an app I was able to mix and match the libraries I liked from the last app until I found the best combo.

It really depends on your job, DESU. If you really hate programming then why did you fuckin start?

>he gets mad over an anonymous comment
>he doesn't know about IQ research
confirmed for brainlet

Attached: IQ-jobs.gif (916x1333, 61K)

About the 2nd line of code I wrote when I was 14.

God I hate programming.

>t. basedboy bugman

>I do programming as a hobby

Attached: 1314154050639.jpg (250x250, 21K)

Got my first job at 25. I hate it by 35. Please fucking kill me.

Guys, please save and invest 20% of your income or more.

I respect deisel mechanics and I think it's a job requiring a lot of dedication/focus/intuition but there is no devating the fact that a programmer can become a deisel tech, but not the other way around. And in your case, you might be a shit programmer because you don't have production code running for thousands of people. If you don't have that, how can we tell if you're good when it really comes down to it?

>Wisconsin
>Single IQ metric used without averaging
>1992-94
>Groups with only 30 cases or more
>Vague and poorly conceived categories
Wow, what an infallible source of information for the entire world ~27 years later. You're fucking stupid if you think you can derive anything meaningful from this study, it was meaningless in 1994 and it's even more meaningless today. Take that shit back to Jow Forums where it belongs, you autistic faggot.

>social scientists that high
brainlet chart for brainlets posted by a brainlet

>hurr durr no source
>*provide source*
>hurr durr it's old
Yeah yeah, grease monkey, have fun smelling like shit and making five figures for the rest of your life.

>have production code running for thousands of people
There is a monumental amount of shit code running in production for millions of people, so this isn't really an indicator of anything but I kind of get what you're saying, I think. I also never said I was a good programmer, all I said was that I programmed as a hobby.

Not all mechanics are equal, brainlet. A mechanic on a nuclear powered aircraft carrier is likely smarter than the guy who changes your car oil. Your source has a category for "Mechanics" in heavy equipment, automotive, and "Other" which is really vague, and there is no way to prove one way or the other that a single diesel mechanic was included in the survey. It's not a source of anything that is relevant to what either of us has said in this thread. You're a retard and you should post less, you're bringing the quality of the board down.

So how do I become a warlock?

Attached: 1473745826741.jpg (1440x900, 189K)

this
No other profession requires you to have your soul and personal life invested in your job

Outsourcing.
>huge potential for relatively easy power
>dark and/or evil source
>terrible consequences
>deciphering Pajeetspeak seems like a CHA skill

>No other profession requires you to have your soul and personal life invested in your job
Actually, just about everything above data entry does. You can't get by with the listed minimum requirements anywhere decent as the standard is always much higher thanks to competition.
t. chemical engineer turned actuary turned software designer

When my programming teacher switched me from Java to Python

>taking the sysadmin path
So you're gonna be unemployed?

when i fell in love with a girl at work but she already had a bf

>t. literally a diesel mechanic
ok grease monkey

I realized during my senior project course. This is my last class before graduating and this is my third time taking it and i am not sure if i will graduate this time either
I feel like dropping out desu

Attached: 1509731072683.jpg (320x286, 31K)

i hated getting my degree.
as soon as i got a job (just government java EE shit) i realised i loved it, gave it my all and started programming a lot in my spare time too to fill in the gaps that my job wasn't teaching me

unironiclly epic

25 years. I'm not a programmer, but I spent 25 years in front of the computer, learning all kinds of shit, training to become a sysadmin, and now I hate everything computers have become, I hate everything that it have become, too complicated for humans to understand, follower/sheep machines. I hate that I'm now the guy that knows how to most efficiently help willing sheep get themselves brainwashed.

>he thought giving instructions to a machine would be enjoyable

Attached: kcy8tzzhpe611.jpg (800x800, 113K)

Wait, it's possible to fail those senior project courses?

deploying physical things? such as what?

GuYs DoN't YoU hAtE tHe ReAsOn MoSt Of Us UsE Jow Forums

not unless you literally come up with nothing

When you first start learning software, it seems like the ultimate comfy job.

i'm 35 years into it and i still love it. i wake up almost every day excited about the code i'm working on.

Jelly. What do you work on?

I miss this feeling :'(
It just all seems either monotonous or boring to do these days. Otherwise it's too much for one person to do on their own.

holy fuck dude. have you never heard of contracting? i've been doing it my entire career and it's fucking awesome. maybe give it a shot?

Less than one
Hate is just another form of passion, so I knew I had found my calling

>I work as a diesel mechanic during the day. I like both my hobby and my job.
but how can that be? don't you work for a company that tells you what tools to use, and what methods to use for performing certain tasks? and don't they have timeframes for when your work has to be done, and don't you sometimes come across some dumbfuckery that some other mechanic did before you got there? don't you think it's possible that some of us *do* love our programming gigs, just like you do yours?

This is clearly just a janny hate meme user. Lurk more

dude, chill the fuck out. why do you have such a hard-on for this guy?

lately, it's been a lot of stuff with live video streaming. i work on the mobile apps, the backend, the website, the desktop applications. it's fun being able to switch between a bunch of different programming languages and making an entire system *work*. i guess that's what i love most: being able to take something from being just an idea and turning it into something that people can use. it's like magic.

>male/trap

>as you level up (you should be doing this all the time), you'll unlock building and deploying both virtual and physical things
Sounds more like a RPG career rather than a libertarian/fantasy career.

How do I into becoming a self employed programmer?

Probably about a decade after I realized most other better-paid programmers are morons.

Get a physical copy, harder to get distracted.

>Got my first job at 25
Why this late?

This sounds strangely close to home. This current situation is really bothering me. Development is a really minor part of my daily work.

I've been thinking about finding another job in an unrelated field but I don't know what to chose, I don't have marketable skills beside what is related to programming.

>most people use Jow Forums because they're programmers
You may want to think about that one.

>I've been programming for 6 years professionally, 10 years for fun
I'm in your boat, can you tell me how did you go from free to paid? i need this advice so bad.

>assembly, c++ and php as starting language
are you a masochist?

I love programming but I'd never work as one. Maybe something that involves programming, but pure software dev is a garbage job.