What is the very best utility boot CD?

What boot CD has every utility you could ever possibly need?

Attached: menutools.png (397x263, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K7Hn1rPQouU
hirensbootcd.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You posted it.

>What boot CD has every utility you could ever possibly need?
There is MediCat is pretty big.

RIP Hirens

medicat is shit, it bluescreens in the middle of important operations and can fuck you over if you attempt to use disk rescue operations

Gparted live

UBCD. But these days there's not a lot you can't do with a linux live disc.

fpbp

I honestly dont care I just download what every utilities I need with any live CD around lmao

sysresccd

One you make yourself. It's not actually hard to do.

I'm thinking about doing this. It would have Tails, Kali, Fedora (with LibreOffice, Gimp, etc), maybe OpenBSD. Boot from the USB and work from my OS of choice. If I need to save any files I just SFTP into a server I keep somewhere.

>2018
>Compact Disc

Attached: bb3b8bdd101a19d72c8a67e16a73c3881df81bdfr1-380-349v2_00.jpg (380x349, 25K)

>cheap, dense, durable media
>retarded contrarian children shit on it
Sounds about right.

Most computers don't come with optical drives anymore, that's a actual issue not a "kids these days" complaint.

>dense
You can get a 256GB microSD card. THAT is dense.
>durable
Nobody can actually be this stupid, right?

And how much does this 256GB microSD card cost compared to a 4GB DVD? A DVD is also much harder to lose and is resistant to static electricity.

Plug in a USB DVD burner.

>A 4GB DVD
Holy fuck, are you seriously suggesting using SIXTY FOUR DVDs to hold the same amount of data as a tiny card.
>and is resistant to static electricity.
And vulnerable to scratches and general decay.

Mine's WinPE based - you find out fast just how much Windows software is happy to be xcopy deployed to a-quarter-of-an-operating-system.

>implying you have 256GB of awesome, unmissable recovery utilities
>implying sd cards are in any measurable way tougher than a dvd r(w).
Cease being this stupid, user.

>You don't even need 256 GB!
>Only half of my 64 DVDs crack when I accidentally sit my fat ass on them! The microSD card gets embedded in one of my asscheek flaps and never sees the light of day again!
Embrace the future user. Nobody's using DVDs anymore.

How much do you weigh, user? Serious question. I've never, EVER sat on a disc and damaged it any way. Further, I have CD-Rs from 2001 that are still perfectly readable. I have more that can be slammed with retries until you get the data off. What do you think the chances are of your flash memory card being anything other than a dust-encrusted piece of piece of plastic wedged in the skirting boards of your bedroom in 17 years time?

>>cheap, dense, durable media
have you been in a coma for the last 15 years?

0, if you keep track of it and aren't transferring data 24/7 for 5 years straight. You could also get a small case for it, like you'd do for a DVD.

Seriously though, there's no reason to use a DVD anymore. Most computers now don't have disk drives any more. DVD R/W speeds are an order of magnitude slower than even USB 2.0. Everything (sans Apple products) has a USB port or microSD slot. You can get a 400GB microSD card that R/Ws at 98 MBps for ~$100.

>0
Show me your 17 year-old flash memory based ANYTHING - working or not. I'll wait.

>USB drives barely existed 17 years ago
What's your point?

Or just plug in the fucking recovery USB flash drive

>most computers SOLD now don't have disk drives any more
FTFY. I especially like the assumption that all the computers sold in the last five or ten years just pop out of existence. I recently had a computer cross my desk: eight year-old Core 2 Duo - video card had packed it in. Replaced, and a very happy customer because her computer does exactly what she wants it to do, so why would she replace it?

>DVD R/W speeds are an order of magnitude slower than even USB 2.0
Absolutely irrelevant unless you're performing backups directly to DVDs, a USB 2.0 device, or an SD card. ISHYDDT.

>You can get a 400GB microSD card that R/Ws at 98 MBps for ~$100
I don't understand why would I do that, when I can get a 100 spindle (so 422GB or so) of DVDs that are tougher, will last longer, and can be attached to more machines (see point #1) for probably half that?

>deflective way of saying "no"
Surprise.
>some irrelevant "point"
So let's run with it for lulz. Halve it. So me all your 7-8 year old flash memory based anything - working or not. I'll wait.

Your own, I made one with custom winpe image to deploy Windows and Office, Linux live image, OSX install, diagnostic (memtest, hdtunepro), cloning, various tools

Mah nigger.
>brofist.

This is now an "recovery tools you keep on adisc/USB/SD card in your pocket at all times because you can't do without them" thread:
>bootable winpe 3.1
>gdisk
>clonedisk by erwan.l
>iptools
>procmon
>active disk editor
>ntpwedit
>7-zip
>winimage
>smartversion
>ms toolkit

In his defence, as time marches on, he will get closer to "right", and us old hands will get closer to "wrong" on this one. I bear him no animosity - he's just a kid with no experience or circumspection, and believes the whole "the future is now" crap. But in five or ten years we'll all be carrying a rescue SD or USB - opticals will be (sadly?) forgotten.

It's nearly improbable that you could produce a USB flash drive from 17 years ago, so yes, you win. Congratulations.

>Show me your 7-8 year old flash memory based anything - working or not.
I still have a 32 GB flash drive from 2011 that works just fine. Quit pretending like flash memory degrades significantly over time. Flash drive aging is heavily influenced by how often you use it. If you stored a single file on it, you could probably still pull that file off, no problem, 10 years later, just as I did with my 32 GB flash drive.

>I especially like the assumption that all the computers sold in the last five to ten years just pop out of existence.
Neat strawman. Re-read my post.
>Most computers now don't have disk drives any more.
Computers now include smartphones, tablets, and shitty Apple laptops. The market share of devices that don't have disk drives is now much larger than those that do.

>Some irrelevant IT repair story
Yes, I suppose if you're 80 years old and only use your Windows XP machine to play Solitaire and balance your checkbook, DVDs work just fine. If you're planning on having a storage device for multiboot tools and images, as the OP asked, a DVD would be 100% inferior.

>Absolutely irrelevant unless you're performing backups directly to DVDs, a USB 2.0 device, or an SD card. ISHYDDT.
No, it's not. Again, you're booting off of a USB/DVD. Your USB will boot faster than your DVD. Though, if you don't care about speed, then that's your deal.

>I don't understand why would I do that, when I can get a 100 spindle (so 422GB or so) of DVDs that are tougher, will last longer, and can be attached to more machines (see point #1) for probably half that?
This is bait.

It took you half an hour to come up with this? Jesus, kid. I'd just said , and then you come in and deliberately take another big steaming turd on the carpet.

>I need six different le 3p1c h44x0r OSes on a daily basis
Stop trying so hard.

user, when you've stocked out the your toolbox the way you like, why would you change it? So what if it was because you took a sidestep into some obscure Linux distro one day? If the tools were good enough for the job, they're good enough to stay in. Unlike a real toolbox, the disc/USB/SD card doesn't get any heavier.

>tails
do you know how i know youre 12?

Install gentoo

why tf would you need all that

Nobody wants a boot disk with 256GB of data!!!!

Everything you say is bullshit. You're literally not gonna use any of those memes once in the next decade. The only thing you really use in real life is something to bypass Windows passwords, something to verify NTFS disk integrity, and a Windows disk. Anyone can tell from your post that you're a CS student that hasn't ever worked. Lame.

I don't have a single computer without a optical drive. So you're telling me I shouldn't use optical?
Not that the argument is valid anyways, because anything that works on CD works on USB the same way.

Flash memory is unstable and deletes itself if not used for several months. A DVD will last as long as the plastic lasts. Plastic takes hundreds of years to decompose.

>Flash memory is unstable and deletes itself if not used for several months.
Now this is bait. Buy a $10 flash drive and put a test file on that sucker and wait a full year. You're gonna feel like a complete fucking moron when you realize that the market wouldn't have adopted such a shitty memory technology if that were even remotely true.

Or, your "computer" could be a headless server that you store files on, and you simply bring your bootable USB wherever you go and plug it into any computer with an internet connection and you save all your files to the headless server.

Good, because I do have important files on a USB stick in cold storage. I also have those same files on a CD in cold storage.

>dragging yourself further deeper into the hipster hole
In ten years you're gonna remember the things you posted and you're gonna cringe hard.

So you can hack and so you don't get hacked.

Explain what's wrong with that idea.

>v-validate me senpai
Fuck off kid. You will get it when you grow up, and you will cringe hard.

Not him, but why would you rely on an internet connection? At that point, why the fuck even have a USB stick?

You should just get a big USB stick and make the first partition storage (because Windows is retarded and only sees the 1st partition until 8/8.1/10) and the second bootable. I do this, and it's fairly useful. Although, I don't use it often enough, as said. It depends on whether your job/hobby demands it often enough.

>It's nearly improbable that you could produce a USB flash drive from 17 years ago, so yes, you win. Congratulations.
The delectable irony? I can. I still have a 32MB working USB flash drive I got in 2002 when I was at college.

>Quit pretending like flash memory degrades significantly over time
Shows how much you know about flash memory in general. Nobody argues with a straight face about the write cycles - that's just an SSD TrueBeliever(TM)'s favourite go-to strawman. It is, and always has been, about failure mode.
>HDD (or optical) fails: slam it with retries, you're going to get most, if not all, of your data back if you're willing to wait
>SSD (or UFD) fails: forget it. Hope you've got a backup

>Neat strawman. Re-read my post
I did. Hence the "future is now" crack, typified by zoomerthink like:
>Computers now include smartphones, tablets
Devices that are likely always going to boot from internal storage, and if their OS breaks, you don't "recover" it, you factory reset it and maybe reflash it. Once these toys are discounted, your assumption that most computers (real ones, on desks right now) don't have an optical drive is completely daft. And it gets - let's continue.

>irrelevant IT repair
You're going to get a long, long way in the real world with the "it's not a model it's irrelevant" attitude.

>as the OP asked
The OP specifically asked for a CD. Up until now, I thought you we just some misguided zoomer without any experience. Despite the fact that people who know better than you have corrected you, you're doubling down on your crap. What happens when you run into a machine that you can't boot from USB? There's plenty of them out there.

>Your USB will boot faster than your DVD
WinPE boots in 20 seconds pretty much regardless of the media used. It's RAM disk based (by default).

>this is bait
You've been given golden access to keep up your sleeve ITT by people way smarter and more experienced than you, kid. Don't throw it away.

>you're a CS student that hasn't ever worked. Lame.
We're achieving levels of projection that shouldn't be possible.

I am a welder and you're basically a river in Egypt.

>IT knowledge consists of memes from favourite "geek" website
>I am a welder
Checks out.

>So you can hack and so you don't get hacked.
I don't think you understand any of that skid

>multiple backups
Smart man. Yet called "fucking moron" by the kid shitting his nappy in this thread because it doesn't match what he was told in his "GhEEKin BOIS & GRRLS" Discord channel.

Zoomers were a mistake. Can we exterminate them all, and claim it was a mass late-term abortion?

youtube.com/watch?v=K7Hn1rPQouU

I'm not sticking around to argue with you anymore. It's clear that you have no interest in having a constructive conversation on why you should use a USB flash drive for portable storage going forward, instead of DVDs. You're more interested in pretending you're superior to some stranger on the internet (who you assume is younger, since they advocate for a newer technology). You're clearly stuck in the past and have no interest in considering that computing is no more than desktops and servers, despite everyone else agreeing that smartphones and tablets are also computers.

>Shows how much you know about flash memory in general. Nobody argues with a straight face about the write cycles - that's just an SSD TrueBeliever(TM)'s favourite go-to strawman. It is, and always has been, about failure mode.
Nice moving goalposts. We were talking about data longevity.

>typified by zoomerthink like
>zoomer
>SSD TrueBeliever(TM)'s favourite go-to strawman
>kid
You're awfully obsessed about my identity. I'm not any of those things.

>You're going to get a long, long way in the real world with the "it's not a model it's irrelevant" attitude.
I've gotten by just fine, since I'm not working IT for boomers that still have Windows XP boxes for email.

>People who know better than you
>people way smarter and more experienced than you
I appreciate such sage words from my elders. Thank you for spending the time to chastise me for using a technology that isn't dying steadily.

>What happens when you run into a machine that you can't boot from USB? There's plenty of them out there.
No, there aren't. Most machines with Pentiums can boot from USB. If it can't boot from USB, why isn't it in the trash can?

>You've been given golden access to keep up your sleeve ITT by people way smarter and more experienced than you, kid. Don't throw it away.
Thank you for your input. I'll carry my spindle of DVDs with boot utils to work and spread the good word.

>It's clear that you have no interest in having a constructive conversation
You've been given the crown jewels on a platter over and over ITT, and we're "not constructive". OK. All I needed to know, kid.
>TL;DR

Working from a bootable disk protects you from cybernukes.

>Read project features
>Gluten-free, non-GMO, gender neutral, and no trans-fats!
Dropped

>MediCat
>Linux DVD
Steeeeeer-rike one...

>>I downloaded the iso and mounted my key without any problem but when I boot on it, it boot directly on the mini W10
>Sounds like your computer is set to boot in UEFI mode. To get the full MediCat menu you have to go into your computer's settings and change it to boot in Legacy mode.
Steeeeeeer-rike 2...

>B I G N E W S ! ! !
>Hiren's BootCD is back in the game, after a 6-year-long hiatus!
>
>Official website:
>hirensbootcd.org
Steeeeeeer-rike 3!
YOUUUUUUU'RE OUT!