Why does everyone hate PHP?

Why does everyone hate PHP?
I used to think it was useless because everyone said it was a shit language, but a friend encouraged me to try it out, and its so much more efficient than other languages.
I created a web application in a matter of minutes that would have taken me hours or even days to do in other languages.

Attached: php.png (960x670, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

php.net/manual/en/function.date-sunset.php
reactphp.org/
secure.php.net/manual/en/function.hebrev.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>t. pajeet

It's a wonderful language, full of tools and resources to program a robust website, if you do it the right way. Most of the complaints come from misinformed people.

it is hated by autists that need to use meme languages with the meme of the month libraries.
PHP will be around forever, it can never go away, it can never be un-done. and this triggers them

>Jow Forums being contrarian to normies
how new are you?

asp.net is better you tastelet

Why are imageboards and textboards always in php?

I use PHP almost exclusively. I know Python and Ruby, but deploying a quick site or simple web app is incredibly easy and fast with PHP when compared to those.

I freelance full-time as a PHP dev as well. It's a great language with a lot of work available.

post your favorite PHP standard library function.

mine is the one that gives you the sunset time when provided gps coordinates

php.net/manual/en/function.date-sunset.php

print_r

php is comfy

t. micropajeet

>hi, Im 5 years old
>I just discovered this cool language on codeacademy and made a blog app by copy and pasting code
>why isnt everyone in the tech industry using this?

t. microbenis

>I use PHP almost exclusively. I know Python and Ruby, but deploying a quick site or simple web app is incredibly easy and fast with PHP when compared to those.
tranlation:
>my shit university in eastern europe taught me vanilla PHP
>the only jobs I can get is competing with Indians on freelancer.com for $10/hr
>maybe I should start a thread on Jow Forums to meme vanilla PHP back into popularity

>Why does everyone hate PHP?
I noticed that on Jow Forums too, so I've bookmarked the PHP right way site to checkout later because maybe its like how Jow Forums is with anything microsoft and the reee's are automatic responses.

Not everyone hates on PHP. It-s supposedly unscalable but Facebook uses it so I doubt that claim has actual inherit merit. Maybe with a shitty/old web server that would be the case but I doubt that a PHP page on Nginx would perform poorly

There are also powerful frameworks like Zend and Symphony. Sure, in .NET land backend stuff is most exciting at the moment and Python and Ruby have broader ecosystems nut if you feel comfy in PHP I wouldn't know a good reason to switch

PHP job are rarer but in my Western European country there are some companies paying reasonable money to full-time PHP developers

Stop projecting

Php must die

PHP is great if you use C bindings and let another language do all the PHP work.

yep
$var1 = 5;
$var2 = "23";
$var3 = $var2 + $var1;
echo $var3;
//28

most languages can't do that, because they're so fucking stupid they need to know if shit is an integer or a string etc. fucking retard languages.

You do realize PHP uses . to concat strings, right?
I wish JavaScript had that behavior, since HTML values always come as string.

The language is full of bad design decisions. Frankly, it's not a great language. Bad in many ways. But the speed at which you can get something sophisticated up and running is unparalleled. Composer is also a great dependency manager.

Follow PHPTheRightWay, PSR-2 Style Guide, and ffs use a framework like Slim, and development is pretty pleasant over all.

PHP is a shit language because you can't do something as basic as printing to a console.

>mfw I work for FB and we actually do this

Attached: images.jpg (512x287, 16K)

A few versions ago, php focus was on features instead of performance, php has so many meme functions and libraries that it would take you months to learn them all, however when ror, djanjo and node started to show off their superior speed , php had to shift their focus into performance, that is php 7. X today and is just as fast if not faster than the competition.

>PHP is just as fast as the slowest alternatives.

I prefer Perl

why would I want to concat things when I'm adding them together you STUPID FUCKING RETARD

The only real problem with php is that it's a language designed to run once and die and initial startup can be quite costly.

Based and larrypilled

That's not true, that's not true at all. That's Apache not PHP.

you can't kill it though

so much more efficient lmao i remember creating arrays was like copied from another random language from syntax side it did not make any sense to me

Okay, show any examples of production-ready php software that serves requests from a single long-running instance instead of launching new instance per request.

reactphp.org/

Theres other forms but this is the friendliest way, others are of course either proprietary or hard to implement.

Literally any project that uses persistent connections, remember that php can be OOP when required.

PHP has made me rich. So I fucking love PHP.

My main income comes from developing custom XenForo add-ons. People tend to pay reasonable money for your time.

Attached: siropu xenforo.png (705x550, 65K)

>Why does everyone hate PHP?
Dynamic typing, implicit typecasting, variables can even change type after they've been declared.

>I used to think it was useless
It's not useless, many great things have been made in php. But nowadays pretty much every language has a web stack that has better server tools than php.

>its so much more efficient than other languages.
What other languages?

>I created a web application in a matter of minutes that would have taken me hours or even days to do in other languages.
What was it?

What do you mean by better server tools?

Node is going to surpass it sooner or later. Yes it has obvious problems (multithreading, callback hell JS itself etc. etc.) but for some reason people don't give a fuck about it and keep using it, more and more.

Attached: 823121853782513.gif (460x258, 1.64M)

>>why isnt everyone in the tech industry using this?
everybody in the tech industry *is* using it, faggot. PHP runs 70% of the web.

hahahahaha you sound so petty and sad. i do freelance work in a bunch of languages, and, although php rates are not as high as java and objective-c, i get $75/hour here in L.A. cry more, though, because you haven't figured out how to use the most popular tool on the internet.

*old web

not everyone hates it. i've been programming in php (and other languages since 1997). it's a solid choice, and i love developing in it because i can get something up and running really quickly.

>ha ha, Im a secret agent coder, I get over $9000 per hour
>also I like to start threads that support obsolete languages with nothing more than my anacetotal larping
>hey kids! stop using those meme languages! dont you wish you were cool like me and using a language no one uses anymore for new projects but larpers on Jow Forums????

>initial startup can be quite costly
hahahaha how fucking high are you? it's incredibly cheap to get started with php. as in $0.

>ha ha, Im a secret agent coder, I get over $9000 per hour
I kinda feel bad for you when you have to think someone making on the low-end $75/hour means he must be exaggerating.

Im sure you do. Id love to hear more about your pretend job though, tell me how all these clients rush to your door to pay $75 an hour for vanilla PHP projects

Hey user I'm going to be there this summer. Will I kill myself?

Attached: verymuchme.jpg (665x574, 25K)

if you don't know how networking works, you're not going to get it. still, keep throwing rocks. you might hit something some day and then, woo boy, won't your mommy be proud?

>reactphp.org/
I didn't know this was a thing. thanks

No, it's a great place to be. Like Google but with better food.

They're talking about performance you fucking Pajeet

Why does php have php tags? it's a php file, why do I have to tell it I'm about to write php with extra tags. There should be output buffer tags instead so that it is assumed to be php by default. such a stupid language.

You’ll get blacked

It's got a lot of warts, but it continues to improve.

Those who still hate PHP are thinking of legacy code, which can be vomit.

Modern PHP can be written cleanly, be fully OOP unit tested, and use dependency management.

Not sure if troll or retard

you sound like a faggot

PHP7 fixes pretty much any real gripe with PHP. Composer is superior than NPM, gems, and pip by far.

I've seen some shit legacy code, but if you take a hand gun and shoot your own foot it's not the handguns fault.

I thought php was an old relic that is soon about to die and be replaced with something else. I was wrong cause apparently, atleast where I am from, 90% of businesses require php + mysql developers. Those programmers make €2000-€4000 which is insane (minimum wage here is €400). Basically, the holy grail of languages if you want to make good money is this: php, mysql, javascript, python, html.
Ofcourse other languages like java and c are important but they're not in such high demand. Source: www. cvbankas .lt

damn nigger chill out bro

because professionals are forced to use it for maintaining legacy codebase

isn't multithreading coming to node soon?

>making 5x minimum wage programming is supposed to be impressive

I use PHP for web scraping and as shell scripts here & there.

Out of curiosity OP, what other languages do you use that takes you hours to do what PHP lets you do in minutes?

this

also consider that "I hate PHP, JS is best xD" became a meme

t. php and js dev

I'm a Wordpress developer and I love .php.

>aspie.net
>good
please do the needfull sir

The real redpill on PHP is that it's basically a HTML with C integration. I'm not sure that it's good for large / performance critical applications, but for basic sites it's great.

not that guy but I got a job a PHP dev in Los Angeles. No pajeets in sight, and I am the darkest-skinned employee (spic).

Attached: 1541868230019.jpg (1137x640, 55K)

I spent like a month writing in this abomination of a language and I didn't like it one bit. I can't think of any other language with as little thought put into it as this one. Oh, and sygils just suck, especially considering how broken string interpolation is with constants. Add retarded scoping that makes writing closures awkward, and you get a shitty language for basic scripts.
Oh, and it's designed with brain dead classical OOP in mind. I don't like OOP in any form, so I can't stand this language, as functional patterns are awkward to use in it.

what does backslash do? e.g. \XF::

Attached: goldface.jpg (273x265, 33K)

Is taking that class from the global namespace so in the case of \XF, it is available globally

is it still being used in php 7?

Of course!

Maybe, in the case of \XF, is a PHP extension that exposes that class

My favorite is hebrev, of course
secure.php.net/manual/en/function.hebrev.php

Because why wouldn't a standard library for a language contain something to translate Hebrew text into visual, whatever that means

Close seconds
>htmlentities/html_entity_decode

>weakly typed
>objects are just associative arrays
>half of standard library follows C naming convention
>other half follows Perl style naming convention
>old style (up to PHP4), new style (from PHP5) and new-new style (from PHP7) classes/objects
>magic variables
>variable variables

php best girl

It's a simple templating language that tumorously morphed into a "dynamic server-side scripting language".

It can be great if you use it for its intended purposes of templating webpages and accessing semi-durable resources, but if you're writing an entire back-end in php you're doing it wrong.

what makes you think so?

Forth, COBOL, Fortran and Haskell

Maybe try using a language made after the Internet was invented?

>falling for the bait

Invoking a legitimate 1 sentence response with no emotion behind it is what passes for successful bait these days? You learn trolling from Dora the Explorer?

Yeah COBOL is a great language for dynamic web sites, Fortran lacks the string functions suitable for such a task so that is a no go. GO is another popular choice too if you're into google products.

just use servant