Anyone else jumped ship off the IT meme?

Anyone else jumped ship off the IT meme?
I feel that my life has been improved ever since I quit my shitty IT job

Attached: wojak.jpg (1600x900, 44K)

What do you do now?

user should become a CIO (Career Is Over) so as to minimise touching code. That or CTO.

I tried several times, but nobody would hire me for anything meaningful or well-paying, so I had to keep coming back to IT.

It's stressful but the job is straightforward and no need to deal with excel bs or administrative overhead.
Ofc I am not talking about tech support Panjeet level but engineering wise.
The next step is design.

I'm not off, but I definitely have come to the realization that there are easier ways to make a decent living.

My programming job is pretty easy and stress-free, 7.5h/day so it's acceptable in terms of time as well.

I want to change careers but I don't really have any way to make a living.

Attached: 1539462741818.png (799x600, 534K)

Such as?

Then why are you still here?

Attached: 1511941777524.png (1000x1000, 345K)

how bad is IT? I wanna go into it since it seems like just repairing computers and I don't know where two start

I just do "consulting" work now, i.e. I fix all the shit boomers and millennials make a total hash of because their skills are ancient and they massively overestimate their own ability and have the attention span of a stripper on crystal meth respectively.

Attached: 840sE.jpg (360x360, 58K)

Sales, marketing and project management are the first things that come to mind.

can i still make money working it by myself in 2000+18? sure doesn't seem like it unless you're okay with being a webdev.

Thanks for reminding me of my crystal meth stripper friend. She was far more interesting than anything I've ever found via a PC.

Go to an Indian restaurant, order some curry, and chat up the waiters. See if you would enjoy working an IT job with them.

Hang in there lads.

I'm currently doing alright but I don't want to be wagecucking it forever.

My plan is to buy a house in cash so I'll live rent free and probably rent out the rooms as well.

Anyone here self employed?

How does your average IT guy get hired and do well in those professions?
Does he have to start learning them from scratch?

This is what has happened to me. I have a couple of other things I've done and enjoyed, but they pay about one fifth what an IT job pays.

I fucking hate working in IT like I do. So I'm trying to find other aspects of it which interest me more and am steering my career in those directions. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But at least I have tried.

I'd rather just fucking bolt from the whole fucking mess, though. I used to enjoy computers and programming.

what's cyber security like?

Gay

How are you guys defining IT? Help desk? Sysadmin? Computer repair? Programming?

perfect

Mainly office-based stuff like sysadmin, network admin, systems/network engineers, full stack developers, help desk, developers, etc. I don't usually consider computer retail people because frankly I didn't think there were many of those left because everyone orders from Newegg or Amazon now.

And you're saying all of those career paths are shit? I just spent 9 years in the oil and gas industry as a tradesman and trust me, things aren't better in that realm.

So the entire sector? Then that's absolutely meaningless. Just because you both "work near computers" doesn't mean your jobs are exactly equivalent in terms of how tedious, rewarding, etc they are. Sounds like you have a pathological fixation with tech, honestly.

IT NEET reporting in. For me, technology is not a career. It's a hobby, a purpose, and a way of life.

user asked what an IT job is. Everything I listed is an IT job. That's all I was doing: listing IT jobs. Untwist your panties.

I've been messing with computers my entire life. I loved programming and hacking so much as a kid that I got into it as a career. Now I can't stand most of it, and the IT industry as a whole is pretty shit, conditions-wise. It's definitely a "first world problem", but there it is. I don't harbor any fantasy that being an oil worker or nurse or auto mechanic or fisherman or anything else would be 100% better. There are jobs in the IT space which are better than others, and people have different preferences and levels of patience.

But I've got the experience in the industry to say that yes, there are shitloads of problems and it's not about being interested in tech any longer; it's about how many ads you show or how much personal data you can collect from users. I mostly regret getting into it as a career, and I have verified this by working in a couple of completely unrelated industries and enjoying them a lot more. Problem is, the pay in them sucks ass. So yeah, I whore myself out for money doing something I used to enjoy.

What do you do? What did you do in other industries that allowed you to enjoy work so much more? What industry problems are you referring to? I know you mentioned privacy and ads and such but why not work for a company that doesn't produce software that does those things?

I'm in much the same situation as you. Computers have been my main passion and interest since I can remember. At 27 I need to know that my career change isn't going to result in me being less happy than when I was busting my ass in the oilfield. I don't want to get to the end of post secondary and realize it was all for nothing and I'm going to hate my life as a programmer as much as I hated my life as a scaffolder.

The main reason I left university the first time was because I was afraid of making my passion a career. It seems like you did exactly what I was afraid of doing and it worked out exactly as I predicted it would. That's fucking terrible and I totally feel your pain. My suggestion is to stop whoring yourself for money and transition into one of those industries you mentioned.

>shitty IT job
>shitty
Any shitty job is miserable.

I officially started a garden today.

Very nice, user! Pics?

I'm an oldfag. I learned digital logic and got my first computer at about 10 years old and started programming immediately. I've worked in IT for about 25 years. I've been a systems guy, network guy, help desk, programmer, DBA, etc.

I was a barista for a while, and I really enjoyed that. Each order became a small project, and it was my goal to make each project successful. I was extremely good at it, and you get that whole dopamine burst when you deliver an order and someone likes it. That's in contrast to systems work or dev work, where it's just one crisis after another, more work after more work, and you never really get that "we're done!" feeling. You can fake it a bit with project management, and that helps. But it's never-ending, it feels.

I've also taught. I really enjoy seeing someone understand something for the first time. I've thought about going into training, but in IT, trainers are like HR drones: usually women or men who have no fucking clue how anything works and are non-technical. I'd stab my eyeballs out with a pencil if I had to work with those kinds of people all day.

And then you have the brogrammer phenomenon. "I got into computer science because it pays good" and they have no cares about it. It's a job. That's rubbed off on me. I still get excited to learn new things, but now it's all in service of some dumbass app ("we'll deliver a dog right to your doorstep!") or some bullshit like that. Now I"m in IT for the same reason: money. I got into it because it used to be fun. But the fun has been sucked out of it in so many ways. I don't know how to recapture that magic, so to speak. And trust me, I'm looking for ways to do that.

Not that poster, but here's my small garden

Attached: DSC_0034.jpg (2160x3840, 1.5M)

Truth.

Join us on /entg/ honestly the old way is over.

What is /entg/? I know it's a subthread, but I didn't see it when I searched.

Ah, found it in /biz.

Geez, 25 years. That's a long time. I can't fathom being in the same career for that length of time, and the realizations you've come upon - computers not really being "fun" anymore - are what scare the fuck out of me. If I didn't have computers and tech as a hobby, I'd be a very boring person. Are there IT positions that you enjoyed more than the others?

I see what you mean about the endless work without seeing the fruits of your labor, if you will. I felt the same way in the trades. The things you say worry the fuck out of me, man. I have no idea what to do if programming doesn't work out for me.

It's been my longest career. But I did take some breaks and did stuff that was completely not related to IT; that's the only way I could have kept going.

I'm finding I like networking more than my main skill, which is basically systems engineering. So I'm trying to bring up my networking skills and move that direction. I'm going to have to get some Cisco certs or something. But motivation is an issue, and that's what I'm currently trying to figure out.

Lots of jobs are endless work. Even being a barista can seem like that. But based on my experience, IT has certain attitudes which just burn people out. Unpaid overtime, crunch time, non-technical managers/bosses, everyone else thinking IT is barely a step above the janitors, etc. Most of the problems aren't technical, they're cultural. So maybe finding a company with a better culture is the answer. I don't know. I know that, for me, every job over the past few years is just "go, do some random bullshit, go home, drink myself to sleep, repeat, get called at 3AM on Saturday, repeat the week, hate myself, etc.". I'm just tired of it.

Bumping to hear more tales from the IT oldfag.

I like IT and programming but I hate my dumbass retarded coworkers.

Such is life I guess.

If the only way I could get by was by doing IT for fucking retards I'd probably just go ahead and kill myself.

It's like teaching a group of baboons how to use a fork. You goddamn dumb fucking shitapes.

What do you want to know? I don't really have any good stories, I guess. Pretty boring career in a lot of ways. And I've run out of patience now, so I leave jobs when they suck and I can't fix them, and I call people out on their shit. And I don't work a minute over 40 hours a week; if I need to, I take comp time within a few days to balance everything out. Fuck doing overtime/crunch time/bullshit like that.

Sounds a bit empty and depressing desu. What do you wish you had done differently?

What about web development?

It has been. I've done a couple of cool projects, things I look back on and think "hey, that was pretty badass". But then I look back on the phone tech support gigs, the on call bullshit, managers who have no clue, coworkers who are as burned out as I am and don't give a shit, etc., and I just don't care for it any more.

I wish I hadn't turned my hobby into my job. Had I not done that, I would have gone to college, gotten a degree in something I was interested in doing, and probably had a decent, long career doing that while still enjoying messing around with computers on the side. I might have even made more money since my career has been up and down along with the IT industry itself (I was seriously fucked during the dot com bust in the early 00s).

You would've hated whatever job you ended up in. Jobs are misery.

That's quite possible. And that's something I've been trying to figure out for a few years now. What is it that a "job" is missing for me to be content? What do I need to do to be content in my career? I don't have answers yet, but I'm trying.

I mean, it's IT; the money is pretty damn good. So buying random shit helps.

27yo faggot here so I might be wrong, but I never understood people trying to get happiness in their job. Working is just there to get money as long its not boring and you keep learning new shit, do your job and then enjoy your life outside of your working hour by doing what you like (hit the gym, hang out with friends, play games etc etc).

I tried for a year and I had years worth of general contractor experience in high school and college long before I was in IT. Couldn't get shit.