/wdg/ - Web Development General

Where the frick is the new thread, now you have an unrelated OP image edition

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: YrAyD01.jpg (1080x1080, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1mb.site/
sculpin.io/
getgrav.org/
picocms.org/
circulatecms.com/
mobirise.com/
tutorialspoint.com/php/php_form_introduction.htm
github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer
swiftmailer.symfony.com/
docs.zendframework.com/zend-mail/
swiftmailer.symfony.com/docs/introduction.html
phptherightway.com/
getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md
github.com/paragonie/airship
jsfiddle.net/7jnqw5bo/
stackblitz.com/edit/js-3nclh2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>points to past thread
gentleman and scholar

Ooopps, found the new thread:
everyone redeploy to /wdg/ without title and delete this one or just use it as a link

Attached: boomer_moot.png (2488x1600, 3.39M)

>/wdg/ without title
is not /wdg/ at all, let that one thread die as people can find this one in the catalog

makes sense

which language is more dominant in freelancing space?
I know php and python, currently learning django or should i learn some framework of php?

my meme senses say: react and .net, but do your research on job offers my non meme sense say

I want to drop front end development im a junior right now in london and hate how needy clients are feel like im not even using my brain half the time it's just mundane shit work that they always want 'tweaked' and i have too much to do everyday

what languages/frameworks/projects should i work on learning after i finish work and get home at 6pm, i feel too tired after work and can never make a decision on what to learn in the first placeif it's even worth mytime

Python

ok user
I well make use of my meme sense

Does anyone know a website builder tool that gives you the html, css and javascript output without having to deal with a backend or pay for hosting? I need to build a simple website and I want to serve the html, javascript and css from AWS S3 bucket. All the services out there force you to pay them for hosting the website you just built or require a backend and server setup (wordpress).

I suggest digging deeper in php ( OOP, resources, streams, generators, reflections API ... etc )
then try to learn symfony and zend, it shouldn't be hard at that point.
check the resources in the thread + php.net + symfonycasts.com

Shift your schedule, wake up hours before work and do the shit you care about during those hours, then go work and when you come back home just chill and go back to sleep

Can anyone hook me up to a good express/mongodb tutorial?

I'm an Angular dev, I wanna broaden my horizon.

Sorry i can't interpret what you want to say but if you are looking for free html, css js hosting you can use github/gitlab pages or Neocities

Functional, Typed, Reactive Webdev
What functional languages and frameworks have you tried in webdev? Were they strictly typed, or dynamic like Elixir? There's a surprising number of options if you want to go with a strictly-typed frontend and backend:
F# - Giraffe or Suave for backend, Fable with Elmish for frontend. The upcoming Zebra backend framework is very fast.
Haskell - Servant or Yesod for backend, Miso for frontend.
Purescript
Elm - only frontend
Rust (kind of) - for insane speed with safety

Why do you put up with runtime errors in this day and age? Why tolerate having to write more tests than actual code? Why accept the slowness and bloat of Python, Ruby, PHP, Angular, etc?
What has been your experience with functional webdev?

Attached: 1*bwSiWbEBA7IyZNyqu2bgBQ.png (300x300, 3K)

i did some in my degree but not sure what path to go down and expand my knowledge on it?
i used to watch sentdex years ago, got a data structures book for python and a "violent python" book

i normally wake up at 7 and aleep at around 10:30 because im just tired at that point, how early do you think i should wake up?

I need to build a website that does not require a backend (wordpress) and does not tie me up with the website builders tool shitty hosting services. I don't want to use WordPress because I don't need a database or a complicated setup. I want to use a simple responsive template to build said website.

You can do that with Neocities and github. With github just reak up on github pages and neocities have a cli tool if you want to upload content directly without using there online editor.

also i found this site yesterday 1mb.site/ might be helpful

use a static site generator ?
example : Sculpin ( sculpin.io/ )

or a flat-file CMS :
- getgrav.org/ ( really good )
- picocms.org/ ( light weight )
- circulatecms.com/ ( easy to use )

Thanks, I will look into those. I just found mobirise.com/ and seems to do exactly what I want. It feels too good to be true, there may be a caveat in this one.

Try waking up at 5 then or maybe even 4:30, you sleep a lot user

I got Spring in Action and Pro Spring 5, because everyone says those are the best books to learn Spring.
What the fuck. This is the most incoherent, incomprehensible, and convoluted garbage I have ever seen. I thought it would make webdev easier, not harder.

Attached: 28fj3w.jpg (633x758, 54K)

learn promises/async function and you are half-way there

also, my advice is to start building something and learn on the way, when I started out I couldn't find a complete tutorial, so I had to gather pieces from multiple sources to make sense out of it

Also try out Gatsby.js. I'm still not sure what it is, but I think it's in the domain of what you are looking for.

I'm downloading blogs so I can study them.
One of the blogs I downloaded serves dynamic pages as static html files using a wp plugin. I can't seem to find the code that's generating the dynamic files though, is there a specific place where I can find them or are they not downloaded when I rip the site? These are the only wp directories in the file:
├── wp-content
├── wp-includes
└── wp-json

I can't find much in them.

server side code runs on the server.
all you get is the output html, nothing more.

what a shame. Thanks anyway.

download wordpress and check it yourself?

it's all in the theme folder, you can find torrents of the most popular 'premium' WP themes to analyze if you want a good starting point

I'm building a portfolio website for a friend. I got the design covered but I'd like to add a contact form. From what I know, just using 'mailto' isn't the smartest idea so, what's the best approach for this?
I'm barely starting JavaScript and now a bit of PHP, I think if it's something simple I could do it.

tutorialspoint.com/php/php_form_introduction.htm
github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer

connect these two together.

there's a function in PHP to send the form as a mail

Something much, much more simpler is formspree.io. Requires no backend.

>formspree.io
>perfect for static sites!

Thanks mate.

Will look at that as well.

Haskell + Elm

Yeah, it's perfect for what you're looking for. The only negative is that when submitted, it brings you to a page where you need to solve a captcha. It's not terrible, though, and literally takes 2 minutes to set up.

What made you decide against frontend Haskell? Is the Elm library just better? It would be pretty sweet to be able to share data structures and other code across frontend and backend.

>PHPMailer
NO NO NO NO NO NO NON
NONONONONON
NOOOOOOOOOOOOONO NO NONONON ONONONON NO NO NO NONO NoNonoNO Noo NO NO NONONON ONONONON NO NO NO NO

check these : and for mail :
1 - Swift Mailer : swiftmailer.symfony.com/
2 - Zend Mail : docs.zendframework.com/zend-mail/

>NONONON
lmfao, why not though?

how would that work, should I install symfony just to use swiftmailer?

- phpmailer is shit, no good practices and you can't really extend it - it literally 1 class that does everything - and if you have an idea about OOP, you know that a class have only 1 job
- too many things can go wrong while using mail() php function
no, swift-mailer is a standalone library

That's too much for me, how do I get started into all that? I don't understand composer, I don't understand route to vendor I don't understand example.org and I don't understand user and password. I've used php before but this is all alien to me.

swiftmailer.symfony.com/docs/introduction.html

I have a services business that slows down in the winter. I just started the company this past spring, and I want to take the time to improve my website for better local search results.

I understand this is a developers thread, but I'd rather ask here than make a new thread: any recommendation on a quick and easy to launch web platform that I can utilize SEO?

please read this : phptherightway.com/

composer is a dependency manager, you use it to install libraries / packages

check : getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md

Would I have to install that shit on the server I'm hosting my content at or just upload some files?

Is there a js library that will let me build a 2d scene that will have images/textures (preferably clickable) in it and can be zoomed in/out, dragged by mouse etc?

Preferably one that works in mobile as well.

Lel that was another user.

Composer is easy as fuck and Laracasts videos are pretty straightforward.

x-posting from /sqt/
in firefox i've changed my pinned tab's width with:
.tab-content[pinned] {
padding: 0 70px !important; }
.tabbrowser-tab[pinned] .tab-icon-image {
-moz-margin-start: -8px !important;
-moz-margin-end: -8px !important; }

anyone knows if there's a way to keep the tab from getting wider when it's refreshing/loading, i.e. just make it keep the same width?

i am going to try grav, is it a viable alternative for wordpress? i hate wordpress but all my clients want a website with a basic CMS, so im hoping this could be a good replacement

const router = require('express').Router()
const homeRouter = require('express').Router()

homeRouter.get("/", serveSomething);

//Works
router.use("/", homeRouter);
//Cannot GET /home
router.use("/home", homeRouter);

Attached: 1502439867670.jpg (270x259, 13K)

depends on the host ~ some host provider support composer (eg: platform.sh ) but most of the time you would have to upload vendor/ folder, make sure to optimize the autoloader for production before you do so.

they are all good ~ if you want top security option try ParagonIE/AirShip ( its harder to use than most of them ) : github.com/paragonie/airship

get('*') works

Give me monay and i shall help thee

you want a static website. I use hugo.

Would you hire me?

jsfiddle.net/7jnqw5bo/

>that div based swastika

Attached: vqGeMsr[1].gif (350x255, 1.78M)

YES, leave me your email

what the hell
grid-template-areas: "e . a d d"
"e . a . ."
"b b a c c"
". . a . g"
"f f a . g";

didn't know you could do this in CSS

My time with CSS Grid guides finally paid off.

stormfront might be hiring

I think you've done enough already, pal.

How am I supposed to work on projects now that I have a gf?

I can't work for 15 minutes without her standing there staring at me like I'm ignoring her.

Is this a normal girl thing or is she broken?

You do them when you're not with her, you faggot, else she'll start fucking other guys because "all you do is code"

she broken ? seriously tho
my gf encourage me to work on my projects and she helps me sometimes lol

but your work is top secret freelance (clearance).
how can she know what you work on?

she a member of my team

not knowing what you work on is killing me.
is it a freelance thing? you said you couldn't tell.

She's moving in in a few weeks and we work the same hours. I think I'm going to have to have this talk with her..

This is what I was hoping for since she knows half my income is from these projects. Looks like I was wrong.

beginner here.
There are a ton of sites and services for deployment. Which one should I use and why shouldn't I just simply upload my files directly to a server I rent from a hosting company?

Right know I just made a simple personal site with the ability to post things. A lot of people shilled WP but I didn't understand the advantages of using and found it a bit expensive (not american).

Attached: EyeWingDragonWEB-700x626.jpg (700x626, 97K)

>not knowing what you work on is killing me.
my employer didn't tell me what is my job exactly until the day i started working, i had no idea who i am going to be working with or on what.
i met my gf there tho lol.

>A lot of people shilled WP but I didn't understand the advantages of using and found it a bit expensive (not american).
>expensive
ITS FREE !
+ don't use WordPress, i linked some other CMSs above that are 100% better

how do I handle x-www-form-urlencoded content type on the back-end, or how do I even send that shit, my supposed key/value pair ends up in the key with an empty string as value key: ''

ah, I must have misread the pricing then.

Is there any situation where one does not use a CMS? I think I still don't fully understand deployment.

Ron?

>That PHP Guy
Kill yourself

ron is not here
i wont.

I cannot figure out how to use multiple bitbucket accounts.

Just want to say fuck bitbucket for requiring me to have several keys for just a few projects. Is there an alternative to bitbucket that allows for private repos that I can use my work ssh key with?

I did this once before with bitbucket but then the twitch extensions thing fucked up my mac and I had to factory reset.

nevermind, figured things out, had to be param1=data1 format

Where do you apply to jobs? Am I making a mistake by only looking on indeed?

I'm trying to put some stuff into some JSON but I'm having trouble with selectors and each because I'm an idiot. I have some rows, and each row has some images in it. I want the JSON to have each row separate with all the image srcs in one array and all that alts in another array. This seems very simple but I've been banging my head on it for comically long, anyone able to lend a hand?

Why is it that when using classes, if you bind a method's THIS in the constructor, the transpiler will create a copy of a method instead of putting it in the prototype, but when you bind the newly created object 's method like instancedObject.someMethod.bind(instancedObject); it uses the prototype and inherits the method from the constructor function? Here's an example

stackblitz.com/edit/js-3nclh2

>and hate how needy clients are feel like im not even using my brain half the time it's just mundane shit work
Why? Could you explain the part of using half your brain?
Tell me more about your experience as a junior front end developer?

>8 hours and 30 minutes
>he sleeps a lot

it's literally pretty much the minimum amount of sleep u should get

It makes a copy because it's what .bind does, it creates a function with the this binding set to whatever you want.

The second case is how inheritance works. Bear with me now, because I've read about this back in March. The ObjectClass and the proto of the ObjectClass are two objects that are linked together. The properties of the ObjectClass is the one you defined with this.property, and the methods are stored in it's prototype, that is from a hierarchical perspective below the ObjectClass, in the basement. When you make the call to instancedObject.someMethod2 it will first search for the method in ObjectClass, if it doesn't find it, it will go lower until it reaches the end of the inheritance chain.

Web development memes you despise
>putting '-ify' at the end of words, 'netlify' etc

Where the fuck was I supposed to learn about RegExp? I see them being used everywhere and I haven't got the slightest clue on how to use them, and they're not present in any javascript course I've seen.

How hard is it to learn them?

Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Xing, Stackoverflow and codepen are good places.

I know some folks here in Tacoland who applied on LinkedIn to companies in Europe/North America and they got hired and relocated.

When a company posts a junior position and in the requirements they ask for 5 years of professional experience.

Who the fuck has 5 years of experience and is still willing to take a junior position?

Attached: 6f8b6c42e3044de79706cb75dad9b456.jpg (194x259, 9K)

Started messing around with html and javascript for the very first time, I've got this button that plays a sound when you click on it, but I want to have a random sound file play when the button is clicked, having a hard time with it, can someone point me in the right direction?

Leave the sound file names in an array. Use a random number generator to choose which file to play.

get the sounds fiels or src as array run on it with a loop and give random index number with
Math.floor(Math.random() * x);

Use ziprecruiter.

I get contacted by company owners with ziprecruiter all the time. With Indeed and anything else it's just recruiters

anyone know a good react component for hh:MM:ss input? all the ones i find are timers are specific for 24 hours

>ziprecruiter
Where the fuck do you create an account? Nvm, what the fuck is wrong with these retards?
>sign in
>no sign up next to it
>tiny text on the bottom left of sign in page

Attached: wtff.png (764x644, 30K)

So wtf is ziprecruiter? How often do people contact you? I'm looking at jobs, but it's just bringing me to external sites.

if youre looking for jobs, try glassdoor, linkedin, and indeed. ive had pretty good success from glassdoor

is there a way to do like
var array = [[],[]] but with x arrays in the array? eg x=4 would be
var array= [[],[],[],[]]

Signing up for glassdoor now. I've been on linkedin, and indeed. Almost got a job at $50/80,000 on Indeed. That shit was absolutely definite. They wanted me to build a react app which displayed some JSON data. They called me twice within a week, begging for me to call them. I did, had a phone screen, they liked me, but I didn't have a computer(was waiting for one to arrive). Really pisses me off that I fucked that job up.

Thanks, though. I'll continue my quest.

What do you guys use to develop your views? I tried using Google Web Designer but it's become clear to me that that's mostly meant for banners and shit, but I'd rather not do manual html/css because it's not something I enjoy messing with.