Debian or arch?

debian or arch?

Attached: debiarch.png (170x191, 7K)

If you like the rolling release model, arch.

If you like the standard distribution model, Debian.

They’re both the best GNU/Linux distros of their respective release formats, so it’s really all down to that.

Install Gentoo

Linux mint Debian edition

Install Void Linux

Do you like change or value things being the same so you can get your work done?

Neither are better, use the one that fits your needs user UwU

debian, the universal operating system

I switched from debian sid to arch and the only difference I can tell is
>pacman is much faster
>pacman has worse search functions as apt allows you to search for libraries and it lists packages that contain those libraries while pacman only lists searches that matches with package name or description (more hassle for developers)
>debian automatically enables systemd inits for some unnecessary stuff like mpd and mpdscribble (only ones I've notcied), seeing how mpd comes as a dependency for other stuff this might leave you with unnecessary shit running on your computer that you don't want unless you actively check systemd inits after installs and know what to disable without breaking shit
>debian users get treated as first class citizens by many bigger companies as they tend to always distribute their shit through deb packages (see google chrome download page for non debian/fedora distros being 404 forever and steam only having one download link on their front download page which contains a deb file) (the AUR makes up for a lot of it though)
can't remember what else I've been ranting about inside my head

Debian testing.
Sid if you have an autistic archlike obsession with updating packages

openbsd

Debian

BSD, plan 9, or templeOS. Stop falling for CIA glow in dark ((linux)) and its cheerleaders ((richard stallman)).

Attached: terry.jpg (480x360, 13K)

I'm on Arch so I'm biased but after getting over the initial install process I've found it to be my favourite distro.

No.

pacman -Fs library-name.so

I know these threads are always bait, but they're fun. I have arch on both my personal machines for a couple of years now. I had one AUR package break after a glibc upgrade one time, but nothing else. The 'time consuming maintenance' meme hasn't been true for the time I've been using it.
When Debian says "stable" they mean that it never changes, not just that it never breaks. This includes new, possibly useful features that you won't get to see. In an enterprise context this has value, but every business that's not a dedicated software shop runs on windows anyway.

Even though just about everything is on Debian. I appreciate the ABS and the AUR. Since Arch users are such nerds, it's always quick to update.

Unironically gentoo

yes

Attached: image.png (710x459, 7K)

cool

>I can't work if anything ever changes
Literally autistic

I use Tumbleweed. It's fairly stable being a rolling release, and it's the best KDE distro.

However, KDE updates do change things. Example, just updated yesterday and now my fonts look like shit even with slight and medium hinting.

But compared to Debian or any other stable distro where the mainline release is only supported for a few years then you have to re-install, it's a preference thing.

maybe

I'm making the jump from windows to linux and I need a non meme answer.
Planned on using debian but I'd honestly consider arch or something else if it really isn't as prone to getting fucked over as people say.

Kubuntu/Xubuntu

Why?

on scale of 1-10 how scared are you of terminal?

Because they just werk while leaving enough room to learn about the system. Don't fall for the minimalism meme if you're just getting started with linux.

I've done plenty of linux stuff at work before (Ubuntu/Debian) I just never used it at home due to gaymes.

i'm surprised how good debian's KDE packages are, i installed stable on my shit x86 core duo laptop and neon on my i7 laptop and the debian laptop gives me zero problems

>GNU/Linux
Stop eating shit from your foot.

/thread

so why are you even asking? If you prefer stability go with debian if you wan't rolling release go with arch. There isn't a lot to consider here.

I do want a stable system that won't randomly die on me but if arch isn't as bad as it is memed and runs well once you set it up I'd consider it too.

>can run on your phone
>can run on your router
>can run on your desktop
debian

It's literally called like that.

>uses ubuntu to preach his templeshit
lmao

By RMS, and those believe in his philosophy. Most normal people just call it linux.

my first distro was actually arch, because I thought it was good diy distro that can teach me linux in more depth
but I started out on windows with cygwin

you aren't normal

>can't defend foot shit eating
no u

>uses gnu utils
unless you're using alpine, you're foot shit eater too

>I don't write my own tools as well
I don't have a problem with GNU, in fact I admire some of what they do; but the gnu utils aren't what made linux great. Also, a lot of those tools are based on linux syscalls.

if you use even one single gnu program, you're eating shit from your foot

>use grep on windows
>GNU/Windows
I think your logic is flawed.

>GNU/Linux on Windows
:^)
who's the retard now?

arian

fpbp

>Planned on using debian but I'd honestly consider arch or something else if it really isn't as prone to getting fucked over as people say.
Keeping Arch stable is actually pretty easy, you just gotta not be a complete retard. Things break when you frantically update your system every morning without ever reading the arch news or making sure you have enough time to tinker if something goes wrong.
Personally, I find that things break very rarely, and if they do, they get fixed in the matter of few days - and I'm using a lot of recent/in-development software like wayland, sway, qutebrowser and such.

Last "break" I've had was when some systemd update (which systemd developers released as stable) broke my hibernation because it thought I was using systemd-boot instead of grub for some reason. I downgraded the package from cache, blocked it from updating and everything was back to normal. In three days, systemd released an update and Arch developers added it to the main repo and everything was fixed.

TL;DR
Update on weekends when you know you have the time to tinker and learn how to downgrade packages. Your Arch distribution will be as stable as it gets.

>capitulation
You are, because I was just making an analogy to exemplify the absurdity of your claim. The fact that you can't make an actual argument, means you've dug yourself too deep in the stupid hole. Also, grep isn't linux. So, it would, with your fallacy, GNU/windows.

tl;dr don't use arch if you value your time

> Update on weekends when you know you have the time to tinker
Ever wondered why it's called the "timesink OS"?
Y'know, I do the same for Debian, but it doesn't break, even for release upgrades. I'd rather be making something else than fixing what wasn't broken before, hope you understand that mindset.

>i can't get work done if my system breaks every 2nd morning
that's why I don't use win10 and that's why I won't ever use arch for anything that requires reliability.

do you want to tinker and reinstall every few days/weeks because shit breaks every few days? get arch or install any of the other meme distros Jow Forums loves to shill
do you want to get work done and need a reliable work horse where stuff "just works"? get something ubuntu based (whatever gui you prefer)
do you want a stable as a rock machine for your server and don't need the newest bleeding edge software? debian
do you want bleeding edge without shit breaking every 3 days? fedora

What about Debian Stretch vs Ubuntu?
I like a more minimalist approach but I honestly can't be bothered tinkering with my OS all the time after I'm done setting it up to my liking so arch doesn't sound like it's for me.

what distro that is not meme here?

>poetteringware or poetteringware
Ew. Install Gentoo.

So universal that it autistically complains about missing firmware even with the nonfree iso.

>Ever wondered why it's called the "timesink OS"?
memelyfe. If you know what you're doing or are smart enough, you can work around. Once xorg broke (nvidia), I just switched to wayland. It's just a meme that gets repeated.

> I'd rather be making something else than fixing what wasn't broken before, hope you understand that mindset.
It's not hard to fix things.

Solus os or void Linux

void
solus has backdoors

based

unironically rope yourself

>keeping Arch stable is actually pretty easy
>micromanaging you packets
The amount of mental gymnastics this retard has to do to cope with the fact that arch is not, in fact, stable.

Attached: 1532974580430.png (425x330, 104K)

packages*

>micromanaging you p̶a̶c̶k̶e̶t̶s̶ packages
>calls others retard
k

if you want operating system to be your daily job; Arch
if you want to install and forget; Debian

>confuses semi-colon with colon
Your opinion is worthless.

A
FUCKING
SWIRL

A
FUCKING
DORITO

Attached: index.png (220x229, 6K)

>using xorg

even worse it's a cool ranch dorito

when you grow up you will understand that arch and debian shit for fools

Saving time sometimes does not save your passion. Fuck off.

Attached: Arch_Comic_1.png (650x4377, 871K)

Attached: Arch_comic_2.jpg (641x4513, 518K)

>Le meme argument.jpeg XD
kys

>what is manjaro

Rolling release: Opensuse Tumbleweed (KDE)

>Using openpepeOS
No.

gentoo

Fedora

*tips*

hannah montana linux

Debian's hard and you have to fiddle with it. Ubuntu just works

Attached: 1537733653182.png (1500x761, 322K)

Wrong, the only difference is Ubuntu comes with gnome software + snaps (viruses) and updates GUI. Ubuntu will break more often.

Debian shits on apt full-upgrade

slackware
>They’re both the best GNU/Linux distros of their respective release formats, so it’s really all down to that.
Bullshit. They're both the WORST distros of their respective formats. Arch is fucking dogshit and anything with apt is unusable.

Debiarch.

all the good parts of ubuntu were backported to debian

Devuan