Redpill time on keyboards and why we have been getting scammed for a decade

The reason offices switched to membrane keyboards isn't the noise its because 1-2 keys die on mech keyboards quite often like a matter of years and replacing 200,000 keyboards at the BBC or what ever is expensive even if the keyboard is only worth 5dolla. The myth that Mech keyboards are more expensive to make and thats why they fell out of favour in the 90s/2000s is actually wrong. you could find very cheap Mech keyboards in that time if you looked except no one really wanted one until World of Warcraft and it was hard to google the chinese supplier sites and taobao and aliexpress wasnt open to the west so the only easy to google place was elitekeyboards and sites like that which charged a 800% markup price and sold 10$ keyboards for 300$. Then the gamer brands court on around 2008 and charged heaps more than they paid. The cherry patent expiring in 2015 didnt make much change beacuse you could already get authentic ones as cheap as the clones if you used a VPN and Shipping agent to get onto aliexpress which is what all these "specialty keyboard" shops did and then overcharged western people.

Mech keyboards has been a scam for about a decade now. they are not expensive to make or rare even official cherry.

Attached: cherry-switch.1481518799.jpg (500x500, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amzn.com/B01FXBZXFC
amzn.com/B01D8YNJH0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

TLDR you shouldn't spend more than 20$ on a keyboard even a mechanical one. use Taobao.

Based and redpilled

Mechanicals are fucking noisy as hell, especially in numbers, and get completely hosed if you spill your drink in them.
Every single switch casing needs to be cleaned out, completely unlike a membrane board which can be wiped with a rag or simply thrown out because they're only $20.

so don't spill shit on them you stupid yuropoor

ive spilled soda on mine once too but im not from europe.

you can get Cherry clone mechanical keyboards for 20$ now from Taobao and they are actually made better. But yes you are right Mechanicals die easy the 2million click thing is a lie done in a lab with no actual hand touching it with a real sweaty flakey hand mechanical keys start failing in 2-3years.

>Mechanicals are fucking noisy as hell,
He doesn't like the sound of them.

Attached: 1542309535110.gif (277x250, 185K)

Not everyone is a keyboard nerd.
Imagine an office full of clattering.

most offices in the 80s used linear alps switches that are not that much nosier than membranes to be honest. my point is noise/price is not why they fell out of favor its because massive companies IT firms stopped ordering them because they died too often and where annoying to replace.

people have this idea offices where full of cherry blue super loud switches that never happened. blues are not even good for long periods of professional typing they are a novelty switch cherry made for typewriter nostalgia.

the only time offices where super loud from typing was literally with typewriters in the 60s and before. the mechanicals in the 70-80s where non clicky fairly quite alps and other random non noisy mechanicals and not noisy at all.

the myth around mechanical keyboards is retarded because every one who thinks they know some thing about them only got into them in the late 2000s if that. and think they have found some rare amazing thing they must shill and think the reason its not popular is that they are super expensive or noisy which is wrong. they where expensive because elitekeyboards and other special sites where scamming dumb World of Warcraft and Dota players.

I got a corsair mechanical keyboard with cherry switches during a black Friday about 4 years ago for around $80. All of the keys are still very responsive and the keyboard has lost none of its original quality.

Its honestly worth the money because they tend to outlast cheap plastic tabs.

so how come I'm using my filco since 2011 daily and it's working perfectly and looks like the day I bought it. Before that I had to buy a new kb every 2 years because it either broke or started to get sticky or something like that.

no mechanical keyboard uses "cheap plastic tabs" you retard how do you think they make the mechanical connection it requires metal electric contact.

you overpaid the keyboard you got from corsair probably cost them 3$ to make even with the official cherry license and you shouldn't have paid more than 15$ for it.

my point is mechanical keyboard prices are inflated.

also glad ya keyboard hasn't fucked up in 4years that's quite a good run for a mechanical but its not because it is high quality its probably because you don't have a humid room or put hot steamy food near it or let it sit in a really cold environment or have oily or sweaty skin or have flaky skin or a dusty house.

probably because you take better care of it because you overpaid massively for it. cucked and pilled

mechanical keyboards are a meme
you just want one for the hell of it even if you don't have a desk to use it with

t. only computer is a thinkpad
yes i'm that guy who uses a 60% board with his laptop

>A mechanical keyboards costs $3 to produce
Must be comfy living in a dream

you can type faster on a red or black style one and you can get them for 20$... sure you can find a membrane keyboard for 0$ but if you cant spare 20$ to shitpost a bit faster you have wrong priorities.

you probably think GPUs only have a 2% profit margin too.

fuck, you're right.
Suddenly I realized it's a loud shit that's much more tiring to write on.
What should I do now? I fucked up so bad

I got my old chiclet keyboard and it's so much better. What should I do with the stupid shit filco? I feel so stupid, the shills got me

I spilled pomegranate juice on my keyboards a few times, just replaced the switches that were hit and it was all good.

GPUs are like 50% profit margin a 1000$ one literally costs 500$ to make by the AIBP then they sell them to the retail shops for like 700$

the AIBP makes 20% per sale to retail and retail makes like 30% per sale (that's why their restocking fee is often very high to not loose the massive sale)

Motherboards and PSU only cost like 20% of their final price to make and retailers buy them and 50% of MSRP and earn 50% per sale that's why heaps of shops do massive discounts on them after a while.

Keyboards and Mice have like 80% markup by retailer and Logitech and Corsair and stuff literally make them for single digits.

CPUs are like the only tech item that's not market up massively and actually is close to manufacturing cost that obviously includes RND.

reason for this is CPU is basically a raw item while selling a motherboard or PSU requires like no RnD (yes motherboards are simple as fuck and don't require complex research) and GPUs are basically just motherboards for GPU dies and all the AIBP has to buy is the chip license and supply and then build cheap as shit "cards" for the chip.

seriously people in tech are cucked as fuck if you actually knew a retailer in ya town and asked what they paid you would cry.

one way you can confirm this as true if you don't believe me is ask streamer how they get their promotional items. they just go to their local ship with a voucher and get shit for free and the Corsair or Intel supplier just counts it as a return.

>30ms
I mean that's not even bad, thanks for taking off the edge of my initial pain

Why the fuck are you spilling shit ever? Are you 7?

Leave it to gaymers to fall for this scam and defend their shitty purchase thanks to buyer's remorse even if you point this out to them.

Does anyone know a fully programmable keyboard that isn't overly expensive? I don't even care about it being mechanical or having rgb or any of that nonense.

I just want to be able to fully customise the layout. Why is that so difficult to find, I don't get it.

FYI, they now make modular mechanical keyboards where you can replace keyswitches without soldering. Read the descriptions on the following keyboards.

amzn.com/B01FXBZXFC
amzn.com/B01D8YNJH0

I doubt they have modular membrane keyboards.

Just get a Topre.
Sure, they're expensive but absolutely reliable and high quality.

>spill a drink on it on it 1 time
>keyboard is gone for good
thats a bad idea. at least get a keyboard that isnt way fucking overpriced so when you do spill something on it you wont lose much.

Attached: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Frepairmend.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FWater-spill-laptop-damage-repair (624x330, 35K)

you are retarded, mechanical keyboard are expensive cause the process cost more than a fucking pcb, and a slaping a membrane, and a plastic plate.

Why do you keep spilling drinks?

Attached: 1542489584222.jpg (629x652, 76K)

well there was this one time i did and i lost a keyboard worth about 150$ and that i put about 6 hours of time into customizing it.

extreme brainlet op

keyboards didn't gain/lose favor based on metrics
they changed based on what wholesale suppliers were supplying, which is influenced by the sales/marketing of the manufacturers supplying suppliers

fucking idiot
stop
you're not someone that understands even the most basic aspects of a business getting equipment

you can do that in windows already with any USB keyboard if you don't need additional Fn layers

Thats what you deserve for buying cherry, I enjoy my premium topre switches, suck it poorfags

>60% board with his laptop
>not TKL
fag

>not having the most basic motor functions to not spill on your keyboard
How do you survive on a daily basis?

how do you use taobao if your not a chink though...?

Attached: 1533223969488.jpg (512x384, 27K)

Either get a good disguise or marry into chinkdom, your choice, user.

Attached: 1530737214745.png (720x719, 394K)

Please tell me how I would change capslock to backspace, including a complete custom layout, without using PKL, because PKL is extremely tedious to setup.

Model M keyboards at the time were like $300, and they're buckle spring. Not sure where you're getting this crazy idea, since I've been using my mechanical keyboard for 4 years without skipping a beat. You're probably just one of those guys that dislikes mechanical keyboards because you think people who use them are snowflakes or something.

>eating or drinking around your computer equipment

Heathens.

Attached: 1536854965485.jpg (640x951, 44K)

the problem I have with the popularity of mechanical keyboards is it destroyed the market of mid range rubber domes. the only choice you have now is ergonomic stuff or low profile stuff

Love my mech keyboard and this thread doesnt change my opinion about it.

Attached: 1511864358320.jpg (800x600, 25K)

I think he is being sincere

not samefag

I have two mechanical keyboards with over 100 switches each and none of the switches have failed in the six years I've owned them. You're fucking full of shit.

and i have a bunch of rubber dome keyboards and none of the keys have failed either.
also
>switches
they are techincally buttons since they only activate when you push them down and you have to hold them down or else they will just go back to the off position.

currently still using my Microsoft 4000 I bought something like 15 years ago, only recently P and M keys started to give up

I'm going to buy a mechanical keyboard, I'm thinking blue switch

I got a cheap chink-board with Outemu blues. The nice thing is the switches are solderless. A couple have gone over the past few years, and I just pop one out and put in a replacement. Takes a few seconds.

Green switches?

>and they are actually made better.

t. Chang Wang the Taobao vendor.

Those knock offs are fucking TRASH

decent typewritters weren't that noise do, i would say one of the best out there Olivetti lettra 22 does probably less noise than a IBM model m or cherry clicky.