Rust;

rust;
>as fast as c
>as safe as ada
>the best package manager out of any programming language
>best filesystem
>rapidly growing ecosystem

why are you not using this language anons?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 01.57.22.png (1360x764, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's Rust.

incredibly ugly.
borrow checker is lack-luster compared to reference capabilities.
cargo doesn't do anything other modern package managers + build systems do.
Rust's NPM obsession (hmm couldn't be the NPM shill girl who got on the team) with quantity over quality and not having any real std.
community getting side-tracked with politics which means ultimately the language suffers.

>best filesystem
U WOT M8?

All of the useful crates have special licenses that require you to respect people's pronouns and lick their dicks.
Why is anyone using this again?

because it's been two years and they're STILL discussing how to best implement async/await

>barely faster than java
Why would you bother?

Call me a pajeet, but I like java

>inb4 pajeet

thats for webservers where your handling requests asynchronously w/ futures. in day-to-day its magnitudes faster.

I don’t get why this puts anons off. Who gives a shit? Just use it anyway, nobody will ever care that you hate trannies or whateverthefuck.

Fucking licensing autism is the number 1 problem with the open source community.

Can someone answer this? What does OP mean by "best filesystem " why does a programming language have its own filesystem?

the problem is it being a thing in the first place.
when you let your language be about anything but the language, you're fucked.

>language-specific package managers
Getting real sick of this horseshit.

Attached: yuck.gif (412x412, 394K)

Rust and all this modern languages got it wrong.
The langauges got to complex, to many features and pointless meme tools that most devs will ignore two years into the language no one in his sane mind will remember all the use case all those meme toys do.

>primitive blabla ownership my dick, enums, strings, traits, dumb blam blum, generics closures WHO THE FU if let wtf is this shit now MACROS TO!

No one is actually questioning basic ancient concepts man, this is fucking sad i don't give a shit about all those meme tools, most of it could be implemented without it anyways shut fuck already im not going to learn a new langauges with 20 new forms of manipulate fucking data i just don't give enough shit.

if
logical operators
functions
goto
for loop only
// only this type of comment
exit
structures
numbers 0 to 9 and the alphabet
assembly blobs

i just want this! can give a shit about the rest! fucking useless waste of time i dont fucking need anything more, the rest is just pure joke get the fuck out of here damit! how autistic you have to be to fill your language with that many protected words! wtf

talking about
>mod
>use
>extern crate
>lib.rs
>mod.rs

and it all just werking with cargo

Well to be fair that's about how long it took Kotlin to nail down its coroutines.

is this pasta?

Rust usage is slowly declining and headed strait for abandonment because the rust "community" is filled with worst kind of people imaginable most which are also clinically retarded and think rust is a filesystem. This is happening because rust has absolutely no innovative features to draw any attention. Rust is slower than c in development and execution, its not a safe language like ada, it has the worst package manager and toolchain out of any programming language in existence.

no, but now it is

>>the best package manager out of any programming language
I fucking hate language-specific package managers.
It encourages static-linking retardation, and makes the language very difficult to use in multi-language projects.
Cargo is a fucking mess.

good thing people like you are wrong and literally no one would be dumb enough to shit out a package manager that's any less.

Please show me an example of a project that primarily uses C, but also has some rust code that uses a Rust library.

i'd love for everyone to stop reinventing the wheel and use nix or something but that's hardly a rust specific complaint

>I'm such a fanatical internet neonazi that I literally pick my programming languages in honor of Adolf Hitler

I'm barely exaggerating

To. 68558487
>dude HITLER lmao

The std library is weak and relying on external crates to fill in the gaps is a dumb move. Really dumb.

Also representing structures such as graphs and trees is really not rust-friendly.

Rust is too safe, but also not safe enough. It's a lose-lose scenario.

why does it matter, they probably just don't want a massive graveyard of a standard library like python

>why does it matter,
>literally have to import an external library just to generate a random number
1 NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

They don't even have something as fundamental as a queue

Rust STL is minimal and has what you need, but this in specific made me quite pissed when I first saw "wait why are they using a crate for random numbers"

>and has what you need,
obviously not
2 NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

(cont)
still it's braindead easy to add a crate, even easier than npm, somehow, and allows people to implement things their own way or use someone else's thing, like in C

>now have 67 thousand competing standards or 2 "good enough" ones that no one bothers to improve
>any rust project is guaranteed to have a billion dependencies
>one or two of those dependencies break
3 NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

then fork it locally or remotely, or write your own.

>as safe as ada

I hate you faggots so fucking much

i guess you could call libc's rand if you wanted

Youre an example of how the community is getting sidetracked with politics, all you politicsfags need to eat shit and die because nobody cares about your Hillary cs Trump faggotry.

you could do that too. the stl is minimal to avoid the huge bloat that comes with a big stl (example: C++, 30+ years of little to no deprecation)

This is such a stupid answer. Forking wouldn't change license issues btw.

This. I hate this fucking idea of making a new package manager for fucking everything, you either end up with 100 copies of the same packages or with nice conflicts with the system's package manager.

No, I did not claim it would. Not that anyone in the world would care that you used it, and in your argument it's a random function which is piss easy to make, and if it was a huge thing then maybe you should appreciate the effort put in the code you're using from other people.

>I don’t get why this puts anons off.
I do.

Sometime you want to drink a coffee, or eat a chicken sandwich, and that is all. You do not want anything more than the coffee or the chicken sandwich. If the coffee place or chicken sandwich place were to add some sociopolitics to your coffee/sandwich, you will find it to be a turn off. If you wanted sociopolitics, you would have gone to a political meetup or a society for [social issue X]. Mixing sociopolitics with coffee or chicken sandwiches is simply unprofessional.

Same thing with programming. Some people just want to program. No sociopolitics. Mixing sociopolitics with your programming is unprofessional, and is a turn off for many people.

Get it?

Wasn't that already in nightly?

>DUDE rust has E V E R Y T H I N G, just bring in a new crate and you're done!
>Breakage? j-just make your own! stop complaining
4 NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

The point is, in a sane language, most everything SHOULD be in the std, like random numbers, basic algorithms, range functions etc. While obviously out of scope stuff like GC's or experimental data structures, or huge features, belong in an external library.
Remember the left-pad nonsense in JS?
That shit's gonna happen to Rust too, and then watch the Rust team 180 and implement a more complete std.

> C is as fast as C.
> C is as safe if you are not a fucking retard.
> C has the biggest package manager ever = your distro's package manager
> Old, mature, reliable language with hundreds of thousands of devs, a rock solid community and ecosystem.

Why are you proposing an inferior language, fagget?

it hasn't even happened to rust, there was like one javascript faggot who put a clause against ICE in his license, SJWs plague mozilla but are too dumb to actually write rust code

you mean the blatant commie propaganda in the Rust src?

>most everything should be in std,
... and this is why C++ std is as ugly as it is today. this isn't even a rust problem, C is a great language, but do you see how small libc is? and yet it works fine. but no, I don't use JavaScript user, I do not remember

still i don't encourage "just import it", specialized implementation is a good thing

But Ada is as fast as C.

>C++ is the only language with a complete std
wew lad
And no, C++ isn't ugly because it has a std, you're delusional.

It's not ugly *because* it has a standard library, it's ugly because of the obsessive backwards compatibility the library has. There's no good reason to support super old versions of the language other than "some software depends on it" although python has this exact problem so it's not unique to C++

also if it's so complete why is fucking everyone using boost

meanwhile languages like D & Nim have "complete" stds, and aren't ugly. There is no sane defense for the NPM approach, even if you have the guarantees like the Elm community do.
>boost
boost is a sinkhole trap, once you have it in your project, it's trapped there forever because you can't be fucked stripping it out and either implementing everything yourself, or tediously replacing everything with other libs. Also the Boost team double-dip and are on the committee, so boost is literally just std-beta at this point.

He means module hierarchy

>Rust usage is slowly declining and headed strait for abandonment
Source or FAKE NEWS

can you cite any company completely switching or making Rust a majority in their codebase, besides Mozilla? The honeymoon phase is over, people realized Rust is shit.

if you've accepted dozens, probably hundreds of EULAs in the past, why does that, of all things, make you sperg out?

That does not answer my question. I need a source of your made up conspiracy theory

boost is disgusting. while the just import it mindset isn't great, it's still a good dependency manager especially just for local broken up projects or bigger things you don't have the time and/or skill to make like gfx-rs (it's like bgfx)

you the one trying to sell us something, how about you prove that Rust is being adopted into big projects?

Alright, even though i wasn't the guy to actually say that.
Throw it out.
Can you claim Rust is actually growing in the industry with serious adoption. i.e actual companies adopting it, not just github upvotes?

not the guy you replied to but there are quite a few rust jobs out there user

>package manager
>filesystem

The package manager does (can) reflect your filesystem as badly as OP's post is worded.

Like for example you have
src/main.rs
src/thing/mod.rs (exposes what it wants, like a header would but with a sense of scope/access level)
src/thing/otherfile.rs etc...

then you just do
mod thing;

and that's namespaced properly now, and you can also redefine the structure if you want in the mod.rs file

I'm not selling you anything. I just want source. If you have it show it. Simple.

gave it a try on infojobs,net
>C
2k offers
>Rust
one false positive

XD not even kidding if you learn Rust expect living below a bridge

Get back to me when you have gpu acceleration support, until then I'll keep using C++ safely with proper RAII.

can you cite me any that are primarily rust, and not just "you may have to deal with this module we experimented with"?
Seems a quick search reveals Rust in tandem with the standard langs like C++ or Java. Which implies Rust is just a smaller part. But if Rust is so unanimously good, then surely they can switch no problem?

>I tried on one random Spanish website
you got me there

Rewriting your codebase in a different language is not very profitable in a company's eyes, that's why you won't be seeing it for a while, and that's also why Java is still around.

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>rust even fucking lower than D

>There are quite a few rust jobs
>No there aren't
>J-just w-wait... th-they're coming...

Attached: 1369537141643.jpg (414x465, 49K)

D should be close to c++

Rust is dying. It had its chance and it didn't make the cut.

D is a literal deadlang.

Not in terms of popularity, its relatively unknown in comparison

what the anglo equivalent? keep in mind that infojobs includes south America

What kind of benchmark measures popularity?

>Rewriting your codebase in a different language is not very profitable in a company's eyes
But i thought Rust was great?
Surely the SAFETY?
surely the NO OVERHEAD?
surely the revolutionary cargo?

Surely all of these things, should make developers happy which will translate to better, more efficient code, which will save the company money.
Should be a no-brainer?
Or is the reality that Rust is just wildly mediocre gimmick language with a few poorly executed ideas, true?

It's measuring the demand for the language in the work place, in open source projects, as well as general interest. Rust might be "safe" (not really) but it's dead. And has been on the decline for awhile. People have even realized that Ada is the superior alternative for fast, safe binaries.

indeed
i found one on the front page which actually says "Rust developer".
All the others are just "would be nice to know..."

>"No there aren't"
Yes, your proof of a random Spanish website really convinced everyone that none exist.

Try a site where actual people who program tons count towards the result:
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

On that matter, pic related. Interesting statistic considering how many people claim everyone they disagree with is a tranny or whatever.

Yes, as a developer you would think this. A company sees that as you fixing something that isn't broken. There's also the status of Rust being relatively young at the moment.

Attached: Screenshot_20181118-223828~2.png (1293x923, 57K)

her i come boys this kills it, this is a screencap thread

Attached: 2018-11-19-05:35:48_1578x821_scrot.png (1578x821, 154K)

C

Attached: 2018-11-19-05:37:14_1694x785_scrot.png (1694x785, 141K)

no non no hbbb HUAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Attached: 2018-11-19-05:38:24_1756x800_scrot.png (1756x800, 144K)

Why dont we just use C? It is fast, every language has a ffi to it (otherwise you can safely declare said language a meme), it has several foss compilers, it has a track record of good software (linux kernel, openbsd, git, redis etc), it compiles super fast (rust is really slow in that aspect), there are many tools such as valgrind, asan etc. helping brainlets out,...

Most loved language doesn't count for much, especially when there is a concerted effort by rustaceans to push the language. What matters is what people use, and rust is behind D and Ada

yeah and this here doesn't seem to show many Go jobs either, that search system doesn't quite work user

yeah, it's definitely far from mainstream yet, and people don't know if it'll become mainstream. only time can tell if it'll become as widely used as those languages

>first one is for Go
kek

C is gross, and lacks too many modern features.
>inb4 name them
>inb4 'nah all those are bloat, or I don't need them, or "just implement them using this disgusting 300 line macro

Parity

you forgot
>backed by mozilla
instant showstopper

t. pajeet or hipster soiboi

>no fucking jobs
my sides

Attached: ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.png (549x413, 234K)

>Blockchain Infrastructure for the Decentralised Web
eh, but atleast you actually named one.
>Jutta Steiner
>Founder & CEO — Parity Technologies
h-haha

D > C
Literally even has a compiler switch for BetterC

That might be true. But how is rust the solution here? The syntax is inrecdibly bad and worst of all a medium sized project compiles 20 minutes what gcc takes 20 seconds.

Rust isn't the solution
D or Nim is.

I can agree with D which actually does many thinga better without being fucking retarded like c++ or rust.