With uncle Google shilling this thing everywhere it will probably keep on growing in popularity, is that a good thing...

With uncle Google shilling this thing everywhere it will probably keep on growing in popularity, is that a good thing? Is Go decent?

Attached: 142124124.png (607x318, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ctp.di.fct.unl.pt/SLMC/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's a little like haskell.
where haskell is good for understanding and taking advantage of lambda calculus,
go is good for understanding and taking advantage of pi calculus.
except go is actually slightly more useful.
in terms of performance for similar tasks, go can reach near C+openMP speeds, so the language isn't dead in the water

Major enterprise software used everywhere (Openshift, Docker, Kubernetes just to name a few) is written in Go, so do you really care what unemployed Jow Forums neets think about it?

You say that but finding Go jobs outside of the US is fairly hard since Go is pretty new.

Go's fucking dank as hell.

I can spin up a few thousand threads, sync my communication between em all and use all 64 cores on a Xeon easily.

Like it's fucking dank as hell.

And inline functions

for i := 0; i < 9000; i++ {
go func() {
fmt.Println("Yeet")
}()
}

All this is irrelevant because the lang has a stupid logo. Dropped.

The logo is actually the best part

>mfw people will fall for this

Attached: ion-maiden-pc-994d3035__220_220__520-235-873-588.jpg (220x220, 14K)

Google promoting Go everywhere is a myth. Other unpopular language users made it up to prove their language was not popular because it's not backed up with a company.

The fact is that Go is not google's language in the way java is oracle's and C# is microsoft's.
It just happens to be created by google employees but those guys created languages since from 1960s and continued to create in every company they worked.

Go is decent enough. People going against Go accuse it of things that aren't what Go is meant for.
e.g GC and everything in heap, but Go isn't for system programming.

Google didn't care about Go until early 2018 when they started caring because they discovered it doubled in popularity in a single year.
They still don't care much btw. The fag who did developer advocacy for go quit earlier this year and they haven't replaced him yet.
Compare the popularity of golang with stuff google actually shilled, like dart, and you'll conclude that it doesn't have anything to do with it.
As for why it's popular, I don't know, you should ask the chinks because it's mostly popular over there.

>special syntax snowflake
like just use the established C/++/#/Java syntax ffs

Learning a new syntax decently is one day

>inb4 5 min

>thinking programming languages are just a syntax

sure but why

>non-sequitur: the post

it's barely growing actually, people seem to be going back to what they had before go because it's so shit. Thankfully, too. It's horrible.

It's a pretty nice language with great tooling out of the box.
The concurrency model is super easy to pick up as well

/g in a nutshell

It's a fun language to write things in. I've never dreaded trying to write something in golang like I have for c/c++ rust or Haskell. It's honestly fun to write.
The exposed function thing is dumb as hell but besides that it's a treat.

>it's barely growing actually

Attached: 2142141242.png (1306x997, 61K)

>Groovy

this, list confirmed for shit

Very limited language for very limited people. It's neither fast nor convenient. Terrible language all-around.

Facts are facts, you may not like it, but thats just how it is.

>facts
>some made up list without source that is shitposted here

Nigga

Attached: 214142124.png (829x370, 24K)

good for cloud and web, bad developer experience, fast enough, single binary with no dependencies

>1500% vs ~7%
source?

As I said before the number of go programmers doubled in 2017. I've been to a golang conference earlier this year and 80% of the people there had started using go in the last 2 years. In 2019 there will be two go-related conferences every month, worldwide. I maintain one of the most popular go projects on github and the number of daily downloads grew by 15% in the past 4 months.
It's growing like crazy, it's actually hard to believe.

my bad it's actually 1500% vs 1.5%, so even worse

Are you braindead or pretending

are you

>bad developer experience
State of this board

based ion maiden poster

golang as a language is 100% retarded, but I use it for the pros I mentioned

go is a google product

it's the pajeet language of this decade
>is it superior to most other languages?
not really, maybe in some specific aspects (just google what the creators had in mind when creating it)
>is it used heavily?
still not yet, slowly picked up by more more companies (not just startups, see )
>should it be your go-to language?
no, unless you spend 8x5 of your worktime on it and it feeds you and pays the bills
>should i ignore it then?
not exactly... it's a fine language in $this_century to know, it can be fine tool for quick and/or small projects, but you would be an idiot to bet all on go or start with something huge with it without having previous experience / ave serious knowledge of it's pluses and limits
but don't bet on it to have the same significance as C had since it's creation (see perl, pascal/delphi etc. before 2000 and now)

>Go is pretty new
it's starting to get picked up fairly fast in the small firms and startups recently even in eu too

pic related

Attached: golan.png (410x670, 173K)

> 2019
> still no fuchsia
> still hasn't replaced Java

its relative growth

>maintaining projects on github
I hope you are at least compensated for it in some way

go would be awesome if they fixed these things:

>package management sucks
>>status: acceptable fix in the works
>no generics
>>status: may be in 2.0
>awful error handling
>>status: unacceptable fix in the works

>C is an AT&T product

Nope. But I have a comfy job where most days I don't even work. If I get fired I can point to the OSS projects and probably get a new job, otherwise I'd end up homeless.

>pic related
still better than the original

I have been using Go as my primary tool for quite some time now, the language is great, however it suffers from some serious design flaws which the hippie retard that's in charge of the project refuses to see, Rob is pretty autistic about adding new features too - that's why it took him literally a decade to realise that generics aren't really THAT evil as he first thought;
a. the language lacks a proper way of handling modules - you are required to fiddle with a bunch of env variables just to start your project - which is absolutely ridiculous especially for someone new (and even somewhat experienced devs - it took me literally 4 hours today to figure out some cryptic module error code)
b. there is no proper way of handling errors - don't get me wrong I really appreciate the fact that errors are values in Go but having to write 20 checks in one function is just a design flaw in my opinion..
c. no generics
d. some may find the lack of classes and objects a complete turn off

but obviously there are some very nice features, including;
a. go routines & channels
b. functions returning multiple values
c. the ability to declare two variables simultaneously in a loop/if/switch declaration
d. slices and the ability of slicing an array using [x:y] syntax
e. Go's interfaces
f. very rich standard library & tooling distributed as stand alone Go binaries that can be used with almost any editor available out there
g. cgo
h. go doc
i. gofmt

>go is good for understanding and taking advantage of pi calculus.
no, it has basically nothing in common except that both have a concept of concurrency(like many languages nowadays)

If you want to understand and take advantage of pi calculus look at ctp.di.fct.unl.pt/SLMC/

forgot the largest red flag - it encourages me to use tabs instead of spaces
absolutely haram

I heard Go has an absolute garbage...garbage collector, is it true?

The thing about Go is that even the most braindead pajeet can pick it up and hit the ground running in less than a month, excluding concurrency. It's very strongly opinionated meaning devs can familiarize themselves with a Go codebase quickly, develop them quickly, then scram without making it a black magic nightmare like Rails apps tend to become after more than 6 months. Devs are more replaceable.

Opinion discarded

Tabs are better.

I've been using it a while and I think it's great. Very fast, trivially easy concurrency, quick to learn (I picked it up in 2! days). And the syntax is almost as quick to write as Python except you get type safety. It's not the last programming language ever but anybody who's been stuck using interpreted languages and looking for something performing that's almost as easy, Go is the answer.

Attached: 8052208E-659D-4C76-BA62-7081BB7CD94A.png (1536x2048, 1.39M)

kill yourself pleb

Great language, the logo is the best part about it

Attached: gophercises_punching.gif (970x642, 94K)

>Not Object Oriented

Based, already better than the rest

Just try using Go for a serious project one time and you will see the shortcomings.

Every project has a file where they hide a thousand lines of hacks to make the language usable. Shit like implementing map() and weird-ass interfaces and it's just a terrible mess.

Attached: photo_2018-11-19_07-59-05.jpg (1280x658, 89K)

Your and idiot.

It just doesn't make sense.
Go was supposed to make multi-core threading easy so even a junior developer could produce efficient heavy lifting code.
Go is so cryptic with its interfaces, error handling and no generics policies, there's no way someone with little experience will successfully manage it.

For what exact purpose did Google decide to create this?

>I picked it up in 2 factorial days
why not just say 2 days

test

It just seemed like a surprisingly short amount of time. My previous record was learning PHP in 4 days so I expected Go to take a little longer. The 2 factorial was a typo

The runtime and the build tooling are great.
The syntax is shit.