/hsg/ - Home Server General

Last thread was 20 days ago:>>warosu.org/g/thread/S68263711

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why, then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: dell-poweredge-m905-blade-server-r679d-4x-amd-opteron-8354-quad-2-2ghz-dellservices-1803-22-F806585_ (1600x1200, 388K)

Other urls found in this thread:

whonix.org/wiki/Onion_Services
raw.githubusercontent.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/master/openvpn-install.sh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is it possible to reverse proxy a clearnet site like you can with tor?
whonix.org/wiki/Onion_Services

Sure that's basically what cloudflare is doing.

Why would you buy hard drives when SSD are cheap as fuck right now?

>Muh failure rates

I meant that is it just because the failure rates?

I don't think anyone's anime hoard is going to make a dent on the drives.

price/TB is still lower for hard disks.

Tcos is way higher for any hard drive. and HAMR is going to significantly lower costs per tb. And capacity isn't the only metric when determining total cost of storing, Faillure rate, relyability and power are other considerations. EG a 1tb ingest server will be cheaper when using flash drives and 100 TB of mostly storage will be cheaper with HDD's

Sorry, ment to link

>Tcos is way higher for any hard drive.
You dont know what TCO is do you, you tard?

>You dont know what TCO is do you, you tard?
I can only assume YOU are the one that can't read OR doesn't know what it means since I've written it out later in my comment.

Ohhh. I have a question.
Let's assume I have RAID 6 on 6 disks.
Let's assume I take out three of them, then power off, put them back in and power on. Will RAID be killed?

no if your controller isnt shit

stay retarded user. you contradicted yourself in the rest of your statement.

> controller
Software mdadm.

>Let's assume I take out three of them, then power off, put them back in and power on. Will RAID be killed?
Depends on the software stack. ZFS can potentionally recover from that but since you're taking out three disks on a live raid6 system there is no guarantee that data wont be corrupted.

>And capacity isn't the only metric when determining total cost of storing [data]
Yes, I forgot one word and am aware that is not the abbreviation of the word. But I give the exact explanation of it later, like I said.
>Faillure rate, relyability and power are other considerations. [In determining total cost of ownership on HDD's versus SSD]

You dont have to be toxic or pretent to be superiour because you dont make mistakes in online forum posts. I know what I'm talking about and try to help other anons. I can't say the same for you.

controllers are just software, its just wether it has a dedicated CPU is what makes it a raid card. LSIs use PowerPC cores.

>You dont have to be toxic
go back to plebbit you faggot

Good lad.
>controllers are just software
If you're going to argue with me over semantics then may I remind you that raid cards have firmware, not software. And controllers aren't really software. Not all controllers have dedicated CPU's with soft/firmware. some are just interconnects for drives.
>its just wether it has a dedicated CPU is what makes it a raid card
Wasn't even the question.
>go back to plebbit you faggot
go back to 4channel.

Its software you tard. LSI3108s have PowerPC 440s.

>Not all controllers have dedicated CPU's with soft/firmware.
They do you tard

>some are just interconnects for drives.
That would be a HBA, and yes they do too you tard. The difference is they have cache, a BBU, and you pay out of the ass for the right to use it. Now stay ass blasted you dont understand how anything works.

home server

/thread

Attached: raspberry_pi.jpg (488x488, 27K)

What to use for permanent storage? An USB stick? How long will they last under steady load?

ssd .. usb into the thing
runs off a hub. thus powering the ssd, not from the pi. usb 2.0 hub only works on pi, not 3

> last, how long
theres no fan ..they run cool
pretty solid state

can use the onboard micro-ssd storage .. people do. plenty of storage there. avoids need for hub

Attached: pi-micro-sd.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Anyone know of a cheap PSU options for itx that wont blow everything up? I want to move my old HDDs into a node 202 for a compact media server and then build a new itx build for my main system

The things that take most space on disks are usually videos, music, video games, maybe pictures. Of these things, only video games profit much from transmission higher speed (unless you copy them around a lot).

do they still make DiM like motherboards? i would like a motherboard with just the CPU and discrete GPU 7W and the rest goes into a bigger motherboard

Attached: 20161028_172107.jpg (5312x2988, 2.02M)

What's the cheapest tower case that can hold at least 8 drives?

All the replies to (you), and also moar terabytes in less actual space. It does matter for data centers.

Attached: r610harddrives.jpg (360x239, 86K)

Fractal design R6 is pretty dope, lot of poeple think it's the best tower of 2017

How overkill would a freenas NAS like this be and what should I be sacrificing
>xeon e3 1230v6
>supermicro x11ssl-ctf (or x11ssh-tf)
>x1 16gb d4 ecc (8gb x2 doesn't seem to differ too much in price)
>8x 4tb wd reds
>various other cheaper components
>a ups
>a case
Also what sort of case should I be using? Would a tower case (looking at fractal define r6) or a server rack chassis be better?

>server rack chassis
Do you have a rack and a server room where you can torture people without someone hearing them scream? If your answer is not two times yes then the answer is get a tower. Server hardware as a home server is a meme.

>rack
Those tiny server racks seem cheap enough
>room
Yeah you got me there, don't think I'll be willing to keep an entire room air conditioned just for a single server.
Having a place to easily fit switches / a ups and future drive bay expansion sounds nice though, and it seems you could fit pwm fans into a custom rack build. Non-rack mounted drive bay enclosures seem pretty expensive too

I know it matters for data centers and that there are reports of sdd's dieing at the same time but we are talking about a home server here

>recommending an ARM board for Plex
>recommending ARM board and HGST drives

Lmao what. If you actually use your Plex server outside your own LAN, ARM is dumb as shit, especially when you can get a garbage Sandy Bridge office PC that can do the job better practically for free.

anyone has experience with radarr?
it keeps downloading a bunch of the same movies for no reason

Wanna buy a NUC for my home server, odroid C2 didnt have enough ram.
Recommendations? Mainly file synchronization, web services and audio streaming, but want the possibility of plex in the future and 16gig ram

I just copy pasted from the previous thread, which was also made by me and also copy pasted from the one before that. You are welcome to make a new thread with new suggestions once this thread dies at 40 replies. /hsg/ always dies during Fatburger hours who spam about fapple and gaymen products.

When will the pasta be updated and put in a FAQ?

Contributing pic related.

Attached: Topology.png (1280x1024, 27K)

WHO HERE WAITING FOR ODROID H2?
This thing will be a fucking beast

A with Tor on another subnet

Attached: 1541387313121.jpg (910x727, 135K)

Odroid C2:
>Router
>VPN
>DNS/DHCP
>Torrent daemon
>couchpotato/sickrage
>mailserver
>fileserver
>SQL server
>helpdesk software
>Cacti monitoring

Raspberry Pi 2:
>Steam bot
>backup DNS/DHCP

Feels Gudman

Attached: odroid C2.jpg (761x495, 127K)

Phenom x2 250 + 8GB RAM
120GB Kingston SSD for OS (OpenMediaVault)
320GB - Data
2TB - Backup from pc/devices
4TB - Series
4TB - Movies

>no m.2 wifi slot
Ugh, close to perfect

Just got my J4250 itx setup assembled. Currently only have 120 gig SSD for OS, hoping to add two HDDs mirrored for NAS. Can I install Debian on baremetal and setup containers and VMs as needed? Would look to have OVM as NAS VM with passthrough of two HDDs for media storage

My /sqt/ question would probably be better here

>how to get both processors working in Windows on a Z600?

Are you using a ghetto version of Win10 like home? Pro and Enterprise should be able to use both sockets.

Hmm, I may have picked Home from the installer.
Guess I'll redo it.

Ok, now running with Pro and it works.

The guys on the forum are right I think, there's a lot more competition in the x86 space with nucs and shit, and the strong software community for odroid doesn't make sense for x86 here, since it's a lot more standardized with regards to software support like hw acceleration. Unless it supports coreboot with the right efuses though
Personally waiting for the odroid n2

I'm going to set up a media server with nextcloud at some point and I have a couple of questions.

If I want to access my content or network in general from WAN, I know I have to port forward but, what is the best way to do this from a security perspective?

Can I use a yubikey to authenticate without typing in a password, like use a certificate or something?

Also my network is split into two, pic related, can I only have my "private" network accessible and not anything else?

Attached: Network.jpg (1600x714, 98K)

Why are external SAS enclosures so expensive?
I can understand proper ones with SAS expanders and those kinds of things being expensive, but the average one is
>shitty PSU
>passive SAS fan-out
>COTS tray or trayless drive bays
>okay case
>no drive identifier/failure LEDs
Like you could cobble together an equivalent for $200 new, probably $100 if you dumpster dove for the PSU and case.

s*agate iron wolf 8tb drives yay or nay
is it worth paying the extra premium for 10^15 drives
im buying 6 of them and going raid z1 or z2 probably

Attached: 1541525317849.jpg (716x1011, 98K)

The closes that comes in price/performance ratio (going by ~150 usd for the H2), is the NUC7CJYH with j4005 CPU. The H2 still stands out because of 2x SATA600 and 2 NICs, both of which the NUC has 1 of.
I certainly see potential in it.

The desktop versions of windows 10 are all likely to reboot by themselves to install updates if you leave them unattended long enough afaik, so if you want to use it as a server then I'd recommend installing something like windows server on it (or preferably GNU/Linux as it is an OS that both respects your freedom and doesn't suck nigger dicks).

>ironwolf cuck SMR 8tb
you should just get the Best Buy 10TB drives for $180 each on Black Friday, seriously.

I want to setup a NAS, with very basic needs. I just want one TB of storage to begin with, and want to have an option to upgrade in the future. I want it to be like a Google cloud service replacement. Like being able to access my media from anywhere in the world which has an internet connection. What software, hardware, etc. do I need for this? I want a quality system for as low a price as possible. What do? Thanks.

What OS do you use on your laptop(s)/desktop(s)? How familiar are you with linux? Do you want the NAS to be small? Are you okay with fan noise?
>I want it to be like a Google cloud service replacement.
Do you want Google drive's synchronization functionality, or would you be okay with a simple sftp server? If you want synchronization, do you also want to sync files on your phone?
>I just want one TB of storage to begin with
Do you already have the 1 TB drive (e.g. used drive from a laptop you want to repurpose)? If so, is it a 2.5" or a 3.5" one?

I use Windows 10 on my desktop. I can find my way around Linux. A small NAS would be preferable. If it's cheap to omit fan noise I'd rather not have it, if not, okay I guess. I have 3 other people in my house, and I'd like something which allows each of us to have a personal space, accessible by password, which allows backing up of photos, and contacts. Yes, most of the stuff will be synced off the phone. I have an old laptop drive, but it's really overused and slow, so I'll just get a new drive I think.

What is the best SBC right now for a budget single drive nas? I want to make movie backups, host an mpd server and a calibre server.

May I add that I'd also like to use it to store and stream movies to my smart TV and stuff.

Does it support LAGG?

>tfw you start vlc remotely on you TV thru ssh

Attached: 1540174936254.jpg (400x400, 31K)

Okay, so I've got a Dell 7010 Desktop, and I wanted to make a NAS out of it. The problem is, I can mount only 2 3.5" HDDs inside. Is there a (cheap) way to mount some HDDs outside the case? I've read that using a USB external case is a bad idea, and I wanted to make a zfs pool out of my drives. Or should I rather just buy a cheap rack mountable case and buy another motherboard/cpu combo?

Getting into the home server autism means you will eventually want even more space. Get a cheap ass rack but make sure the hdds are well tight.

Since I have to change almost whole computer, then would:
Athlon 200GE
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
1x Crucial 8GB DDR4 2666MT s PC4-21300 CL19 SR x8 ECC
be enough for 4-6 3TB drives for FreeNAS/OpenMediaVault?
Is that processor and mobo even compatible with ECC or am I just retarded? It'd be nice to be able to upgrade the hardware when 7nm CPU's drop anyway.
Or should I go for a used R3 1200/1300x at the very start? I don't have much money, but I'd rather buy new and be able to upgrade it in the future, than buying another old system that will be deprecated in 3-4 years.

I've been experimenting with a home server using my laptop but want to step up to a proper machine. My options are either to use my old gaming rig with an i5-3570 and 850w psu, or buy cheaper hardware new or secondhand. Noise and power (live in the UK) are primary concerns. Processing power requirements aren't high, as it is mainly for plex (1 stream at a time only), vpn, sonarr, radarr and I'm looking at installing syncthing or nextcloud as well. What would hsg recommend?

I'm only just looking into learning about home servers, is it okay to have different brands and models of hard drives in the same server? First of all is it possible and second is it discouraged?

It is possible and usually not a problem.

Literally does not matter. If you want to do RAID stuff, make sure the biggest HD is smaller than all others combined

Get a machine with lower power consumption.

Your use case could run off an odroid hc2 or whatever, at most some onboard low power x86.

How do I make a sever that is accessible via WAN secure?

could I use this as a desktop for light use?
was planning on an athlon ge build

what are you accessing

>If you want to do RAID stuff, make sure the biggest HD is smaller than all others combined
If hypothetically you had 4*2TB drives and one 16TB drive you could surely do a RAID6 array over 5*2TB. It would just leave you with 14TB on the large drive that you will have to use as non-redundant storage until you add more.

Just having no huge drive isn't enough to do most RAID levels either. Can't do a very pretty RAID5/6 setup on 2*1TB, 2*4TB and 2*10TB.

Nextcloud server, but I would also like to do some server administration with ssh

so a file server and ssh? Well I don't know anything about nextcloud but external ssh is typically just a pain in the ass because it gets sprayed all the time. You can whitelist IPs, keys with passphrases, etc, etc, but I figured I would rather just host a VPN and have that be my one point of entry.

Maybe funnel all connections to it through wireguard, vpn or ssh only.

Reasonable security.

Who cares if bots try ssh, the point is that they won't get in even if they try, not that they can't try.

I might look into a home VPN for hosting, but again security is my concern. I'll look into this, thanks anons

I'm thinking I could do internally signed cert authentication exclusively

it's just a better practice to tier out authentication to your network. In the event they DO get in that server is fucked, vs a vpn that you could setup to only let you on the network without instantly compromising something. There's a lot of good reasons to not use external ssh.

I use OpenVPN and think it's fine. Good enough for me at least.

Would a raspberry pi 3 model b plus be a good torrent server for running 24/7 and having a vpn service running thrue it? I would later try hosting some chat software on my server, maybe a light page for browsing files or something for my friends? Or am i better having a pc for it.

I'm going to look into using a VPN, is this better for security than externally hosting shit?

Would I be able to, for example, go to a friend's house on their computer, then authenticate to my server without installing anything? I plan on using a yubikey instead of a password because if I do connect to a compromised gateway, there wouldnt be any risk

you would need a client to connect if you were using OpenVPN

if you're using ssh without keys and not using fail2ban or other IPS deterrents you're doing it wrong

>internally signed cert authentication exclusively
why not just setup a LetEncrypt cert?

Is it free? If so, sure why not actually

I see

>Is it free
That's the whole point of LE certs. Completely free.

oh thanks dude, I thought all CAs were paid

Any quick guides on setting OpenVPN servers?

raw.githubusercontent.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/master/openvpn-install.sh

> Watchguard XTM 515
pfSense 2.4.X
Intel Core 2 Quad 9505S
4GB DDR2
64GB SSD
Runs DHCP, DNS Resolver, Dynamic DNS, Load Balancing, IP Filtering

> Cisco 3560G Switch
Pretty self explainitory

> Supermicro CSE-825
Debian 9
Plex and various media services
Xeon E3-1265Lv3
16GB ECC RAM
2x 128GB SATA SSD RAID 1 (Boot Drives)
8x8TB WD Reds (RAID6)

> SilverStone Whitebox - Media Ingest Station
Ubuntu 18.04 KDE
FX-6300
(2x4GB) 8GB Ram
128GB SSD
1x 1TB WD Black

> Norco Whitebox - VM Host
ESXi 6.5
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
32 GB DDR3 ECC
2x 128GB SATA SSD RAID 1 Boot Drives
6x 3TB WD30EFRX Western Digital Reds (RAID6)

> Supermicro CSE-836 - Local NAS / Nextcloud Server
CentOS 6.9
AMD Opteron 4176HE
16GB RAM
64GB SSD (Boot Drive)
4x 3TB WD30EFRX Reds (RAID5)
4x 2TB Hitachi HUA72302 (RAID5)
4x 1TB WD10EFRX Reds (RAID5)
4x 300GB ST3300657SS (RAID5)

> Dell R415 - VM Host
ESXi 6.5
2x AMD Opteron 4334
64GB DDR3 EEC-Reg
64GB SSD (Boot Drive)
4x 300GB SAS Drives (RAID10)

Attached: the-rack.jpg (1237x2521, 749K)

This is exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

really nice piece of kit, what do you do with the VMs? and why Plex and Nextcloud? I'm assuming since you use Plex, you dont use the Nextcloud media features

the vms are mostly lab work, tons of unix/posix shit that runs through LDAP. Plex is tv and movies while nextcloud is photos but that box is mostly NAS for stupid shit i've hoarded over the years.

>hamr
you mean MAMR

also SSDs will still be 7-10x the price per gb in the coming years. so nothing is going to change even with QLC SSDs so yeah HDDs will continue to be relevant far into the future.

SSDs still have that tiny issue of degrading performance over time which is another reason they aren't ever going to be reliable for long term data storage

fuck I forgot my image

Attached: 02_-_flash-hdd-cpgb.png (2515x1406, 252K)

>5-8TB HDD costs the same as same sized SSD
Hahahaha, no.

this i find the most funny

>SSDs are cheap as fuck bro why don't people buy SSDs instead of boring old hard drives

Attached: file.png (1832x748, 398K)

I would use a VPN to access a LAN.

I'm pretty sure you're going to want something more powerful with more RAM for a VPN.

>also SSDs will still be 7-10x the price per gb in the coming years
According to pcpartpicker
Lowest $/GB for SSDs at the moment: 0.110
Lowest $/GB for HDDs at the moment: 0.019
That's less than 6x the price for SSDs. If you compare 1TB drives, it's closer to 3.5x.