What is there to do on Linux?

I've tried out Mint the other day, and I enjoyed it a lot. However, after installing and setting things up I realized that there isn't anything I can do on it that is "productive". Have to jump through hoops to play video games - if they start at all. No office or Winamp. Apparently screen tearing is a thing. Finding a movie player with some decent subtitle options or a GUI is a hassle. In general Linux just seems to suffer from a lack of suitable tools to choose from. It also takes longer than on Windows 7 for programs to start.

For now in my opinion the convenience of Windows reigns vastly superior over whatever benefits Linux has to offer.

Attached: 1534795987103.jpg (657x527, 39K)

> it's another 'I had this bad experience and so it applies to everyone' episode

Kill yourself, you retarded frogposter.

>he can't come up with a single use case

I'm a software developer and I've been using GNU/Linux as my primary operating system for about 6 years.
You're just a retarded frogposter, so you should kill yourself.

>complains about productivity
>starts talking about video games

??

>vidya
>not productivity
are you grown up or something?

>Finding a movie player with some decent subtitle options or a GUI is a hassle
VLC works fine for me

I bet you'll also defend not having Office or advocating for GIMP instead of Photoshop - or basically any program that actual professionals use during their work on a day to day basis.

>office software
>games

Think I found out why you're not productive

>Office
>Photoshop
>Professional
Lmao @ what a shitty life your professional fantasy would be.

Attached: 1534641235464.jpg (200x179, 14K)

>can't adjust subtitle size, alignment, position, color, font, margin, rotation, effects, or re-sync
>i-it works for me

Attached: 1518541707863.png (600x580, 572K)

Now that you have it installed you can shitpost about how Mac fags own facebook posting machines while on a machine that doesn't do anything well except web browsing.

Then you will get bored and try the next distro only to find it looks slightly different, but is equally pointless.

Then you'll just go back to windows.

Perhaps you should go get a job so you can afford a Mac?

I have a linux computer serving like 200 different torrents and another linux box supporting the Tor network. My desktop has windows and linux but I haven't booted into Windows in months.

mpv retards

He expected it to work out of the box.

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

Compress your HDD with ZSTD
Save shitloads of space and speed up the disk

Download wine staging, set it to the default opener of .exe, and then just run your exe.

Simple stuff but most things work like they should off the get go, if they don't check for the stuff windows itself comes preinstalled with and download and install that with wine first.

You are the frogposter

VLC on Windows/GNU+Linux. Same with LibreOffice. If you do professional programming, Linux is great. There was some Windows-only applications I used, and we mostly used Windows for everything else, but there were times we definitely used Linux above Windows. gcc compiles way faster on Linux, and batch scripting is a shit show. I was able to speed up Visual Basic compiling by more than 100% by disabling defender and using a ramdisk, but it still wasn't nearly as fast as gcc. Linux is great... if you put the time into it/need to use it. If you don't, holy hell is it a bitch to use, especially because you usually use it on less common/open-source-but-locked-to-fuck-and-development-is-slow-as-hell

Binary Viewer Portable is a great tool for Windows, I wish they had something like it on Linux. Maybe they do, but unfortunately I couldn't find one easily enough. The program also uses newer .Net bullshit, so it wouldn't run in WINE. Specifically I needed a tool to dump unprocessed binary. I fixed that motherfucking bug we had. Felt good.

I've used it for school the last few years. At one point I used a macbook and didn't notice a difference. For reference, I use Google docs for everything but the most formal papers, same for sheets and all that, so I can work on my phone as well. Most things are done in a browser anyway, so I don't really notice any differences. Except windows, which can't seem to keep a browser stable enough to leave open for any length of time.

For video player, I've always just used VLC. If you want a fancy(tm) program, ask those ricers. For games, if you're technical, run them in things like wine or steam's new thing. If you're less technical, use a VM or dual boot. What is Winamp? I use spotify. Screen tearing should be fixable for the most part, try to find help.

I think one of the biggest things to get over is the newness of the linux world. By virtue of having a more technical user base, technical things are easiest on linux. Generic things (i.e. Anything that can be done on a chromebook) are mostly the same. A lot of it is figuring out what being productive means for you. For me, it's hardware and embedded programming things, or generic schoolwork. What is it for you? If you don't have an actual thing you're following trying to be productive, I suspect you're just not used to being in Linux. Eventually, you'll get comfortable and bored, and find something to mess around with. If you want some esoteric things, try dwarf fortress and regret being born into such a pitiful existencr

Can't you split your projects into modules that are compiled independently? That's one advantage of coding in C++, you only have to recompile whatever file was actually changed.

Not having office, absolutely. Used the versions since the turn of the century, been shit ever time.

Photoshop, no. It is the unfortunate circumstance that many content creation tools are not currently suitable for native execution on linux. I recommend a vm if you have the power, and a dual boot otherwise.

What are you, a subtitle ricer?

> then you'll go back to windows
Why tho

Things were compiled seperately, in up to 8 threads. The process was still intense. Codebase was ~20 years old C, many parts were ported from assembly around then. Code was C because historical reasons, we worked on a few systems with no dynamic allocation, compiler behavior would've been less consistent than C. I'm sure there were other reasons, like predictability and consistency in style and toolability.

Installing OSes /is/ the thing to do. You've tried mint, now you can move on to more fun installs like arch and gentoo. Once you get bored of those, you can move onto more niche systems like OBSD or plan9. Also note that you haven't installed an OS until you've written your own programs. I recommend bare minimum writing your own init system, wm, and program launcher, or else it isn't really a custom OS.

By the end of this, your system will be practically useless for actually doing things on, so make sure to back up your windows dual boot. But it will be endless fun rewriting low level system components.

Name one better alternative for photoshop
If you say gimp you're guaranteed to be a freetard brainlet

Stop posting your gay maymays to facebook.
You don't fucking need photoshop.

Just because you or I don't need it doesn't mean anyone needs it.
PS is the industry standard in graphic design and you can't deny it

You fags seem to imply that literally everyone is a graphic designer and would need photoshop all of the time.

go stick to using computers at work
just use your phone for the rest, brainlet

Even if you aren't a professional you can't deny how handy and advanced Photoshop is. Yes, even for making memes. You still haven't named a program which is better or more useful than PS.

Thanks for confirming that my profiling of you was correct.
Now fuck off, you stupid millennial memer.

Enjoy using your gimp and other half assed free software

im on windows 7 and i use paint.net :)

Attached: 1542231098818.jpg (803x803, 64K)

>Le look at le funnay frog XDDD
>I'm sure a comedy genius

Attached: 1486603594166.png (500x712, 442K)

The point of Linux is to spend your entire life trying to get it to work, so you can pretend you have a purpose in life.

>implying oldfags didn't do any image memes at all

>I've been here all summer
>I'm an epic oldfag now XDD
>fag is too offensive though, so we can be the oldies
>Us oldies amirite XD

>le epic greentext xD
Your newfag is showing

No you fucking autist, I'm saying people who need to use PS at their fucking job have a shitty boring professional life.

Yes, being a consumerist NEET who will never contribute anything to society or humanity is better.

>it's another episode of a /v/tard complaining about muh gayemz
Linux and the software available for it are tools, not toys. Windows is a toy OS, which is why it comes with Candy Crush and Minecraft. Linux has web browsers, office suites, and other useful software that comes with it out of the box that you can use to get real work done. It doesn't have /v/baby escapism toys, and I hope it stays that way.

i do graphic design for a consulting firm, mostly logo designs and posters. everyone in my office is using krita/inkscape except for a couple krita/illustrator. photoshop has nothing to compete with krita's brush dynamics on high-end tablets and inkscape wrecks illustrator for anything more than the most basic logos and icons. the line dynamics in inkscape are a killer feature for inking in scans, and photoshop's brush dynamics are so insensitive you might as well use a mouse instead.

Do you just piece buzzwords in a random order and hope it will align to some point? Because I don't see how what you said relates to what I said or what we were talking about.

>If someone has to use PS at their job, they are some kind of graphic design cunt.

That's a god awful job to have compared to my current job: I do science.

Hahaha you do "science"? And graphic design is shit? Okay have a nice life

I was afraid that saying I do computational theoretical physics might scare you away. I'll finish my PhD next year and proceed to a postdoc position at another institution.

Hold on, I got your next post
>>PhD
>>browses Jow Forums
>"Pick one"

>playing video games and watching movies are productive
you must be 18 to post on this site also

>PhD
>browses Jow Forums
No, that is just sad.

>be a cm monkey at the local university press dept
>lies on the interweb
Johnny Johnny, telling lies?

Yeah you're right, getting a fantastic job where you get to do what you love is awful really.

r/iamverysmart

kek, it reminded me of that stupid facebook group, "i fucking love science!" that was all about freezing koolaid in ice cube trays.

You would be even more triggered if I told you the name of the prestigious Ivy League that is giving me the PhD.

P.S. I've attached a simulation that I recently made. Tell me some parameters that you want changed, I can make you your own personal animation, fwend :)

Attached: animation.gif (500x500, 3.71M)

Is the first frame with a higher resolution an annealing phase or just a botched cut leaving the last frame of another run?
Make the red dots form a cock and the blue dots form a waffle

Ok user, I'll leave you to it, then

What do you do that is productive on windows? So far the only activities you have listed is media consumption.

Between Krita and Fusion and Natron I don't miss photoshop. That may not work for everyone but it works for me.

No that system parameters (temperature in the case you're describing if we're talking about the same annealing) are constant through the simulation. The first frame is just the frame before any time-evolution has occurred: spin assignments and particle locations are done via random, gaussian assignment. Additionally, even though 10k sweeps of the simulation are called (that is 10k*NxN Metropolis attempts for spins, and 10k*NParticles attempts for particle translation), a print is only made every 200 sweeps so you only end with 50 frames in the gif. So really you see the initial, completely out of equilibrium frame, and what happens immediately after 500 sweeps, which tends to be a lot from maximum equilibrium displacement.

So no cock? Disappointing

is this testing path recognition, where red can only move through black and blue can only move through white?

>programming
>document editing
>data archival
>text processing
This is a list of things I have done in the last week with my Linux machine.

Aight, I made you one that's a lower temperature and uses a different spin-flip algorithm such that it doesn't experience as much critical slowing.

Attached: animation.gif (500x500, 2.85M)

Oh fuck, I didn't actually even see this part of your post. Lmao sorry, the simulation is a stochastic monte carlo simulation. I couldn't enforce those formations unless I designed a specific attractive field that would basically have to be hard-coded with those lattice points, and that would be a lot of work that wouldn't be worth the effort. The only interactions you see occuring are nearest neighbor. The simulation is of something called the Ising Model if you're interested.

I've had the same problem. I guess you would just literally have to jump in and start trying to do your normal shit only to be completely frustrated by how autistic and retarded the OS is. I'll take poo10 any day of the week.
Or you could get a flannel shirt like in pic related and it would just work.

Attached: Capture+_2018-07-30-12-17-24.png (1440x1253, 1.07M)

So no running the model through an evolutionary framework to see which seed field yields something as close enough to a dick or at least an oblong shape. That's okay Timmy.

Attached: iamdisappoint.jpg (800x450, 45K)

Here's a screen cap from an early simulation which had an interesting bug that made it form things that kind of look like dicks. Hope this satisfies your urges, pal.

Attached: DickBug.png (923x928, 879K)

>I can't be productive
>because is hard to play games

Nah, it's a simulation of something called the Ising Model. It's point in my research is attempt to replicate certain time-scale features of biological systems that we believe to be near criticality, and show that if the system can be replicated isomorphic to a 2D-Ising model, that we can use universality to explain/find other time-scales within the system. The universality of the 2D ising model is known exactly.

Kinda looks like an Europa map drawn by a five-year-old. Still, the dick seems to be a figment of your imagination, can't really see it even with your highlight.

Linux use only for screenfetch threads.
There is nothing to do real.
Linux just game for little kids, for serious things i use windows.

Damn, you have some really specific means of eroticism. I may have to recommend that you look for a field with simulations that aren't Markovian to satisfy these feelings, brother.

>Finding a movie player with some decent subtitle options or a GUI

mpv is the greatest media player ever. You don’t need a gui

mpv has a gui.
You can click on buttons, so it has one.

Hey the Europa map is nifty enough by itself, kind of like an eerie alternate reality with the plate tectonics just a tad off

Gimp and/or Krita.
I'll admit I haven't found a way to cut things out of images as nicely as photoshop's mask selection tool but then again I haven't really looked.

I'm a drawfag that uses Krita too and Krita's brush engine is one of my favorite things about Krita. It gives so many options to fine tune almost anything you want. I don't know about photo editing but digital painting wise, I think almost any artist could do anything in Krita that they would need to do in Photoshop.

I'm not sure how inkscape competes with illustrator though. Photoshop and illustrator probably integrate together a lot better than Krita and Inkscape.

Attached: Krita_Pixel_Brush_Settings_Popup.png (831x612, 24K)

Also u can use MyPaint nice shit for tablets.

Oh glad you like it then. I'd give you the whole simulation if Jow Forums's filesize cap was a bit larger.

Translation: I'm having trouble playing Vidya or my hentais on leenucks, I didn't install the right drivers for my gpu, and after 12 hours I've decided I don't like it.

Tune in next week for my hot take on the iPhone.

I thought you said the project was in Visual Basic. Recompilation of modified C code should be fast too. You only have to recompile the changed .c files and re-link the object files, which shouldn't take more than a couple seconds.

now double kill yourself.

We have hundreds of software configurations.

>productivity
>starts talking about video games and microsoft office
lol kys. Libreoffice will get your high school assignments done just fine.

Krita isn't an image manipulation program, it's for drawing.
Gimp, no. Not even close.

>Finding a movie player with some decent subtitle options or a GUI is a hassle.
just mpv
>Apparently screen tearing is a thing.
no it isnt, not on KDE, not anymore

I use affinity photo.

>LaTex for actual academic work
>libreoffice for dumb office requirements

For leet points you can use org-mode or emacs in general.

this, ugly as fuck frog

Im running linux on an orangepi hosting a mumble server
I also have mint on my thinkpad so i can be a living meme
I use dual boot on home laptop because of performance in games and i keep booting win10 because i cant understand how linux switches between internal gpu and intel graphics and why it wont boot after a while

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Attached: Windows-10-GodMode.png (600x315, 129K)

>here isn't anything I can do on it that is "productive". Have to jump through hoops to play video games
I don't even know what to say