>>68573245

I'm fucking tired of feeling like a literal brainlet Jow Forums. I'm 3 years into IS (inb4 meme degree) and I'm in a really shitty boat in terms of my ability to code, similar to the student mentioned at . Not quite as pathetic, but enough to be far too relatable.
I want to sit my ass down and start again from scratch. While the self-discipline to sit my ass down and study consistently is a large issue, I find it extremely difficult to wrap my brain around new coding concepts at all at the start of each semester, even if it's in terms or based on previous concepts i do understand well enough. Even during periods of time where I can sit my ass down and review or study the material, i feel like i'm hitting my head against a wall for even double digit hours on end until i shit something "passable" out instead of learning. I can't put on-paper concepts into code for the life of me, and explanations of implementation feel like a foreign language even if i understand individual concepts of it.

Am i studying CS as a whole incorrectly? I don't have this problem with any of my other subjects or my minor, and I'm not retarded when it comes to basic college math (derivatives, integrals, basics of DM and stats).

Attached: 1542470895564.jpg (1499x1505, 419K)

bump because similar situation

delete your thread

me three

Don't expect sympathy from the people on this board. Best chance at decent advice you have is taking your question to Reddit

I thought CS was easy and intuitive for the most part.

Attached: 1374577328217.png (554x439, 224K)

not looking for sympathy, just asking to be pointed in the right direction. that being said, i may have to.

Glad you had an easier time with it than i have been.
How did you go about solving your first major "what the fuck is going on" roadblock, what was your thought process/mindset?

>Even during periods of time where I can sit my ass down and review or study the material, i feel like i'm hitting my head against a wall for even double digit hours on end until i shit something "passable" out instead of learning.
Dude, that is indeed learning. Some of this shit is hard. I remember having a fucking super tough time with doubly linked lists in college - printouts covering my dormroom floor, going over it all 1 step at a time to make sure i understood each step, and then getting to the last steps and for some unfuckingknown reason, not being able to make the shit work. same thing with recursion. that shit just melted my fucking brain. BUT, i got through it all, and now 25 years later i've had a nice fun career as a programmer, and i've still never had to make a linked list and i've maybe used recursion 5 times. so, if you're really into it, just keep at it, it doesn't *all* come easily to us. but if you hang in there, it just might all turn out ok. :)

bump

>25 years later
>on Jow Forums in your 40's
seems legit, but i appreciate the encouragement. do you have any tips on how to keep your brain non-melted persay?

Have you tried SICP. I heard it really tries to teach you the concepts of programming in a 'no-prior-knowledge-assumed' way, which may be the knowledge reset you seek. Personally, I have never read it but it's on my list.

>SICP
>copyright 1993

I hope the concepts still apply. I'll give it a look, thanks.

>any tips
idk. these days, it still gets melted on a regular basis. i usually just keep powering through it until something clicks. if i have other things to work on, i'll switch to them, just so that my brain is staying busy...and i know it's also subconsciously working on the other thing.
maybe there's a better way, but i've never found it. :/

I mean, it deals with concepts such as recursion which AFAIK should be pretty timeless :)

that sounds a bit stressful to go through regularly.
and im NGL it sounds like you're larping. You sound uncannily similar to the way i used to give faux-premise encouragement to others in highschool.

that's true. probably useless for anything related to webdev, but hopefully good for fundies.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

nah, i'm not larping. i just can't think of anything to tell you besides "keep at it" and "college is meant to be difficult." there's no big secret. you just have to work hard.

>i've still never had to make a linked list and i've maybe used recursion 5 times
What the fuck? I use recursion all of the time.

Yep, I’m a junior in cs right now and feel the same way. It’s over for us, boyo

Lifefuel t.b.h

junior year is the hardest year. get through it and the rest is cake.

A hammer for every task

Attached: t.jpg (339x425, 30K)