Plasma/KDE Thread

Would there ever be a more advanced and flexible DE for Linux?

Attached: kdereich.png (3000x3000, 341K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.kde.org/p/1243493
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-KDE-KWin-EGLStreams-POC
youtube.com/watch?v=K3vehXaWHGY
store.kde.org/p/1237963/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

KDE macht frei!

*krashes*

KDE hasn’t had a crashing issue for years.

Attached: D6E9C504-90AC-475E-8E6B-D43EA9F82483.jpg (1366x768, 255K)

Maximum comfy confirmed

Are you still on KDE3 or something?
Even when KWin crashes it restores itself instantly like nothing happened.

Attached: Screenshot_20181120_153932.png (1920x1200, 3.18M)

Let us return to the discussion once the Akonadi and KMail clowns fix those bugs that have been there for years if not a decade.

für prozessor und freiheit!

So now it's not only for furries, but also for nazis?

How is the wayland support going?

I had a transparent menu etc and after some update a while ago I can't into transparency any more
Any idea on how to fix?

Install Gentoo

tell me how to enable taskbar-progress in mpv on kde, and then I'll agree it's the best DE available

Attached: 1542721044612.png (1280x990, 1.33M)

Anything that doesnt glitch and crash all the time is more advanced than KDE which does. Basics > krumeluures

Attached: 1541446083232.png (397x376, 65K)

>KDE hasn’t had a crashing issue for years.
>uptime 2 minutes

Attached: 1540238428558.png (272x199, 46K)

Is your DE of choice so shit it takes the entire OS with it or why do you link uptime to a DE crashing?

GNOME is way better

Retarded dodge, sure that KDE may have been running just a few seconds. I've never seen KDE screenshot with long uptimes and I've personally never gotten KDE to last in normal use many days. It crashes at some point, and yes, sometimes it freezes completely so I can't access tty to restart it. It's complete garbage.

>my anecdote is the ultimate truth
Sure thing kid.

Can I install KDE on my Mint without losing my Cinnamon setup? To try it out
Im a newbie
I heard kde connect works nice with phones
Also aren't K apps deved by some big company?

no, you can't because KDE is a desktop environment and you'd be replacing Cinnamon
as a matter of fact you'd have to uninstall Cinnamon and it's GTK dependencies to install KDE
but since Mint is a massive piece of shit you'd probably break it

Mint is garbage but yes, all youd have to do is install KDE, logout and switch the session. No data loss.
The qt company is a small finnish company that employes KDE devs but as far as Im aware they aren't leading KDE development like Redhat does with Gnome or gtk.

Stop speaking out of your ass.
You don't replace desktop environments when you install another one.

Funnily enough, my KDE stays up for months unless I do something retarded like launch too many memory hungry things at once.

Oh cool, tiny companies are fun to support, thanks for the info

Installed it two days ago, been enjoying it so far - I like animations and konsole blur in particular, it also feels significantly quicker than Gnome which is the DE I used before turning to KDE.

Installed this 2 months ago
Thought this was gonna be another meme DE like all the other trash Jow Forums recommends but so far I'm pretty impressed

This, I was on GNOME for a long time up to about a year ago and then I tried neon. Haven't looked back since.

How do I move windows to different workspaces? I like i3 or gnome keybinds but kde looks mouse driven. I can't find the option to do that

nobody needs that

Check your compositor

Global Shortcuts --> KWin --> There you can bind functions like "Windows to Desktop 1, 2, 3"
Never tried it myself though.

pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20181120_172625.png (1920x1080, 209K)

I made a thing
do you like nostalgia animations?

Attached: w98.webm (1280x720, 1.19M)

Check the compositor option. Should be OpenGL 3.1. Sometimes et revert to software rendering if it has crashed.

What icon theme is that?

I like animations that aren't laggy as fuck. That seems to be impossible on n*idia tho.

Great, although it sucks it isn't by default set to meta+shif+$workspace or p.up .p.down

Endsieg!

Very cool. Do meme blurs work with it?

Attached: file.png (1920x1200, 1.24M)

store.kde.org/p/1243493

Attached: newaita.png (1920x1080, 931K)

>That seems to be impossible on n*idia tho
maybe wayland will save us
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-KDE-KWin-EGLStreams-POC

here is another animation btw

not currently
and I'm too lazy now to make it work

Attached: w10.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

Could you show your video recording settings?
I get terrible tearing using openscreenrecorder's defaults.

This animation looks more fluid desu. If you made it then great job!

Showing 2 minute uptime is plausible reason to believe it can be up for at least 2 minutes. Next question is, can you show a screenshot showing more than one year uptime with KDE?

Woah, that's great news if novidia actually commits to supporting their mess themselves. I'm still a bit sceptical about it ever working properly tho.
Does xwayland support hardware acceleration properly btw? I've heard that vidya tends to run like ass on wayland.

>can you show a screenshot showing more than one year uptime with KDE?
Can you do that with any DE or WM? Who the fucks keeps their PC running for a fucking year?

no proper redmond theme = no buy

Attached: 2014-04-06-g60-125nr-mate-xp-classic.png (1366x768, 68K)

that webm has terrible fluidity because it's running in a vm
here is a demo I made earlier to demonstrate fluidity, although not on nvidia
youtube.com/watch?v=K3vehXaWHGY

and I made some changes again

Attached: 2018-11-20 19-34-35.webm (1920x1080, 2.15M)

>phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-KDE-KWin-EGLStreams-POC
God I hope this actually goes somewhere. Shit like resizing windows shouldn't tank your framerate in the year of the lord 2018.

Are you the blurdevguy btw? Is there an easy way to control the transparency, color and shadows of the panel in KDE?

>Can you show a screenshot showing more than one year uptime with KDE?
I never heard anyone running KDE on a server. Having a 1 year uptime on a deskop is pure autism and a fucking waste of energy.

>Are you the blurdevguy btw
ya
>Is there an easy way to control the transparency, color and shadows of the panel in KDE?
try this: store.kde.org/p/1237963/

Attached: Screenshot_20181120_202437.png (2560x1440, 3.43M)

Yes. Now post in on the KDE Store if you already haven't.

Tearing with screen recorders is usually caused by using Intel's userspace driver. Switch to modesetting and the problems go away.

There will be soon...

Attached: muh_kde_diversity.png (587x510, 351K)

Kubuntu or Neon?

Try Netrunner (The Debian testing version) or OpenSUSE (Tumbleweed or Gecko Linux). They come a little more pre-configured.

Neon is a little better if you're committed to using one of the two.

Living in a cool climate (down to -30 C) I have no problems keeping a computer running for 6 months straight. OS stability is a problem, need a few new kernels along the way.

Kubuntu has no reason to exist now. KDE is backing Neon fully, it's better.

I configured my laptop in a way that makes booting difficult and kinda slow because muh security, so I suspend it all the time instead. Having multiple weeks of uptime is not uncommon and KDE has never crashed.

look for reactionary themes

Neon is a showcase distro where you'll always have a base that's even lagging behind Ubuntu LTS. With Kubuntu the user may at least avoid new KDE bugs, but the best choice are rolling distros.

KaOS then?

openSUSE

>I heard kde connect works nice with phones
You heard right, however you should know that you don't need Plasma to run it. I'm using it right now on windows 8.1 unironically. It also works fine with any desktop environment under GNU/Linux.

Thats nice, might put it on more devices then

I've enjoyed using Gentoo profile 19 over Kubuntu/Neon/OpenSUSE. NetworkManager was a bit annoying to setup but otherwise I've settled on it being the best base KDE desktop. I don't trust Neon and Kubuntu to be around for decades, but Gentoo isn't going anywhere.

I really like that theme mate, what is it? also, are you using any custom widget theme?

can't remove systemd
at least Manjaro give you the option

How to make a widget always on the center of the taskbar without having to use those spacers?

Attached: 1539669212156.gif (746x479, 196K)

Use latte, it's way more configurable than the standard panel.

Confirmed for retard
you've managed to corner yourself to
>I use KDE on a server
Or
>I keep my PC on for a year

Attached: 8F8072CD41AA495C903B36ED0920E0BE.jpg (1080x1047, 119K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-20 23-38-35.png (1920x1080, 1.11M)