Hi Jow Forums, I know, this is probably the most stupid thing you will ever read, but I always had this doubt:

Hi Jow Forums, I know, this is probably the most stupid thing you will ever read, but I always had this doubt:

Can a System crash corrupt the software that I were using in the moment of the crash?

I mean, if I'm playing a game, for example, and my OS totally crash, can I have corrupted save files or stuff like that?

Attached: img_59dad77d6e0ad.jpg (720x398, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=syncer&sektion=4&n=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

yep

Can I have more information?
I mean, why this happen (technically speaking)?

Data is being written.
System shuts down.
Data is left unusable.

Ok, but can It affect data files that I'm not using in that moment?

e.g. open save file for registering gaym progress
In the middle of dumping data
Winblows decide to blowm
Save file lays in the hard drive incomplete.
Reboot happens
Try to gaym like a good gayman
"Save file is corrupt"

On winblows probably lmao

It might affect anything that is open the moment the crahs happens.
There's a chance, after the reboot, that windows might never recover, or your gaym never recovers, or your antivirus never recovers, or even your h/w never recovers.

"Data" means any data that is being written.
You could be using it personally or it could be used by the OS for a task you do not see.

can data that is beeing read get corrupted?

>update windows 10 like a good boy
>personal shit gets delet
>mfw I use linux
This

Typical windows user.

any half-way decent developer will write to a temp file, and then delete previous file and rename.

Yes, if parts of the file were in the RAM, not yet synced/written on the disk.

this. I forgot what it's called, but windows does this for performance.

Shouldn't storage journaling help mitigate that?

its called "write caching" and every operating system does this to speed up disk performance. The kernel usually has a thread periodically writing changed to the disk. Example: freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=syncer&sektion=4&n=1

>every operating system does this to speed up disk performance
with SSDs becoming cheaper and more ubiquitous, this is slowly becoming more useless.

That may be the case for a desktop user, but not for a server. SSD speeds are still a lot slower than memory speeds

>That may be the case for a desktop user, but not for a server.
This thread isn't about servers.

>SSD speeds are still a lot slower than memory speed
True, but still it's not really an inconvenience to the user.

Consider how inconsistent or outright unstable some cheaper SSDs are while writing, I'd say write caching is never going away, if for nothing else than smoothing performance. And of course, it'll always be useful for HDDs.