How can normies see this shit and think "Wow, my smartphone sure is smart...

How can normies see this shit and think "Wow, my smartphone sure is smart, huh!" and not "Why the fuck is google spying on me, this is creepy as shit"

Attached: 5.png (720x236, 41K)

Because normies don't understand the technology behind it all. It is absolutely required we teach this as early as possible. Only through proper education can we enlighten the ignorant.

Google knows you ate at mcdonalds and for how long and also probably what you ordered.
What's the worst that can happen?

It's like when Google maps asks you if you can take a pic of the place you're in.
Typically a store they have no indoor picture of.
It's creepy af

>Turn on location features
>Proceeds to complain about said features
You are odd

What's creepy about using optional features you can turn off

You mean neglect to turn them off

>I disabled the notification so google doesn't have my info anymore

Attached: 1539442393785.jpg (850x800, 65K)

No, every program that want to use anything that could be considered personal need to ask the user for permission first.

>Because normies don't understand the technology behind it all.
This. Technology is synonymous with magical black boxes for them

You can turn off location tracking itself brainlet

Not Google native apps

They don't. Everyone I've ever been around that's gotten a notification like that went "Wow google you fucking creeps" and went to make sure their location data was turned off.

You're wrong
And you failed to understand the subject

What do you imagine there is to not understand? Location tracking is pretty simple. Most people don't care because they aren't criminals or immigrants and it will literally never them in any negative way.

I know it's true, because the closed source program told me!

Please provide me with non-criminal situation where I give two fucks if Google knows where I am.

>He quit caffeinated soda? Deploy subliminal ads for all estrogenated products.

Attached: 500full-igor-bogdanoff.jpg (500x500, 29K)

>being okay with being a literal product and having your personal private information tracked, bought and sold.
wew

Prove turning it off keeps it on or shut up kid

And here's proof for you if you felt like demanding it

Attached: Screenshot_20181120-224123_Google Play services.jpg (1080x2220, 519K)

And say goodbye to Google Maps when I drive?
No thanks

Give me a reason this should bother me that isn't existential

Wrong

I don't consider my trip to McDonald's all that private or personal

More like
>subject xxxxxx5 is not getting his daily aspartame intake
>increase fluoride levels in his water

>Please don't track me
>I want to use it as a gps

Attached: auuuu.png (680x521, 94K)

wronger

>google sells data that you visit mcdonalds every day to health insurance
>you get a raise

You don't understand the meaning of the word normie

No seriously, even after turning off all location based crap google still displays my location at the bottom of every search page. How naive do you have to be to believe that they don't save all that valuable shit?

Because that data is yours. You own it and you should decide who is allowed to have it, and what they're allowed to do with it. As it stand they're taking your property for free from you and reselling it. There's no license or compensation. And it's not in exchange for a service, because the "service" is software you already own on a phone you already paid for.

There are christian little girls literally setting themselves on fire to stop the endless daily rape and torture, but oh no, google told an advertiser you like chicken tenders and anime, that's the real tragedy here

THEY ASK YOU FOR PERMISSION YOU STUPID FUCK. ITS YOUR FAULT FOR ACCEPTING SOMETHING YOU DO NOT LIKE

You can also blame the business for having these data capture devices in their store. It is there for analytics on busy hours and stay durations. Don't like it? Turn it off. If you don't know how to do that, you don't belong here.

>if it's not the worst thing ever it does not count!
Stop thinking in extremes

Attached: 1541235976301.png (882x1025, 246K)

>having google apps installed
What the fuck are you doing on Jow Forums faggot
>install gentoo

The question is really if they store this tracking data as YOURS before you give a review or whatever.
They could very easily have no unique identifiers stored with that data unless you have location history on and the data remains useful to Google for various purposes (how busy places are, traffic, advertising purposes).

But you would consider somebody following you and marking those things down as data to tell somebody else and invasion of your privacy. So it is private. If you guys are fine with giving away your data for free then I can't stop you, so I won't sit here and explain why I think it's wrong. But it's your choice to be apathetic to it and allow it to happen.

>No seriously, even after turning off all location based crap google still displays my location at the bottom of every search page.
IP addresses are generally fairly local. Congratuwelldone.

Then accepting request that is still
>being okay with being a literal product and having your personal private information tracked, bought and sold.
so I posit once more;
wew

You agreed to it so that means that you're okay with it. I do not use google maps because I'm not okay with it hence this came up when I opened the app. Nobody would blindly sign a contract and then be able to complain about the conditions, this isn't any different

>THEY ASK YOU FOR PERMISSION
"I just smeared some shit onto your jacket, want to try my cleaning services? It's free for now."

>big company bad man
Honestly I get where you're coming from, but little stuff like this will never affect me. And if were really truly going to start caring about 'muh data' just for muh datas sake, then you would need to go off the grid

You know it's really surprising to me that there are so many responses of "It's not a big deal just let them take your data. It's not directly harming you in a visible and noticeable way so what do you care?" I would have expected people to say they don't like it, but it's the best option, and there are some people that have rightly pointed out that you can disable location features, but the amount of people that want to just roll over and accept it is really saddening. Why do people love large corporations more than themselves? The easy answer is paid shills, but I don't think it's anything that conspiratorial. I think some people really just love being cucked, or just identify more with google than with themselves and their peers. Baffling.

how could it ever be anonymous? the point is that google maintains a cohesive understanding of the user across multiple apps and services. it's all explicitly linked to a google account, right? even if it was just a unique key on a data log, couldn't we easily piece together who in fact has phone number X at address Y working at office Z?

google can, if you set it up that way: read your emails automatically to find a meeting, put that meeting in your calendar, and send you an alert the day of with transit estimates and directions in google maps. they know who you are, where you are, and what you are doing generally at any given time.

If you think the reality of the situation is that we need to disconnect ourselves from the world to keep our lives private, doesn't that speak more on the fact that you're taking as fact that large corporations or governing entities are just going to track you without permission and take your data regardless? I understand it's my responsibility to keep my private life to myself, but at a certain point I have a reasonable expectation that other people won't overreach. I don't have to allow other people on my property, and if the enter it I can tell them to leave. Why should I have to accept that larger entities can violate my privacy, without expecting to have any recourse, or otherwise go farther away from society?

>If I can't see it, it doesn't exist.
I have turned it off and then back on again and gotten prompts for places that I went to while it was "off".

Theres no going back. Software is free, but they take the data. Now hey, if you want to stop using every service that falls under thing then by golly good for you. But I'm not about to pull out a map on the fucking freeway to figure out where I'm going. If you want to feel free, but I like punching in an address and getting the best route and seeing my real time traffic. I dont see how I can throw a fit about them tracking my car when I'm using that exact fucking data to plan my commute to school

normies are less than.

But you are, that's how people used to do it. What makes you any different?

GPS locations tied to Google Maps. You are overthinking the level of spying here.

>how could it ever be anonymous?
They don't have to link it to your account at all.
It'll come in on an IP address, stored without an IP address, reply just goes back on the same connection.

>google can, if you set it up that way: read your emails automatically to find a meeting, put that meeting in your calendar, and send you an alert the day of with transit estimates and directions in google maps. they know who you are, where you are, and what you are doing generally at any given time.
>the computer that is handling your email can see the contents of your emails
>this is crazy!
Wew.

>What makes you any different?
What are you referring to? The fact that people used to pull out a map? Yeah fuck that. Anyone who doesnt see the benefit in google maps type service is full of shit

I have had them think I was eating at a place just because I walked by it and stayed next door. This tech is still pretty dumb and I don't see what your physical location says. If you want to go somewhere in private, leave your phone at home.

Or just buy one of those signal blocking puches.

At this point I'm pretty sure they already have your house mapped and know exactly what time you go to the bathroom if you own a smartphone.

Yeah I think were on different pages. I just mean that most of the stuff we use, we agree somewhere that our data will be used. I think if you say no to everything that asks this of you. Then you should have all the privacy you want. As shitty as it sounds, in alot of cases I'll take the cool free shit (like GPS maps) over my privacy.

But I also just started making money and am no longer poorfag. If I could start paying for these services and get full privacy then sign me up

Do people actually take their phones to the shitter with them?
I thought that was just a meme.

Wait. What do you do when taking a shit

Shit.

How do you even get hemorrhoids then?

>thinking that you can "turn off" anything

Sitting all day, I guess.

Normies don't get the implications and risks of hording everyone's data.
This can be proven by all the "I have nothing to hide, I'm not a criminal, etc" posts. And because they don't get it, it's trivial and acceptable to exchange a bit datamining for a convenient program.

>b-b-b--bbbbbut i-it's a private company user

Attached: viper.jpg (300x300, 52K)

I think most people actually get it, but what can you do? Living in the woods? Not using technology at all? So you just accept the cock up your ass and get datamined.

This is stupid black and white thinking. "either 0% or %100 botnet" doesn't make you happy. Just take a bit time to educate yourself about alternatives and turn 100% botnet into 95% botnet. That's not ideal, but it's a lot and keeps the ball of freedom rolling instead of giving up.

Because escaping botnet is impossible, the most botnet free guy I know is homeless and pays in cash all the time all governments have way more resources $$$than just people using a vpn or Linux etc..

This desu, there's a big gap between mailbombs and NPC

I think it's cool because I like technology. I don't think it's creepy because Google is a huge corporation and not a person.

A corporation are a lot of persons.

It's not a complete lost cause. My friends know practically nothing about computers, but they are fully redpilled on privacy and data collection.
They have Google play services disabled/removed and f droid installed. They're not tech saavy but I guess they're not normies either.

Attached: 3e894ee6.jpg (960x960, 88K)

can't even remove the battery to be sure anymore.

Wait, what are you referring to? Who's setting themselves on fire?

The precedent that is set allows them to track a lot more than just your trip to McDonalds. Suppose there is some bad actor that gets access to this data. Maybe you don't have much of an imagination, but the way things are set up is not good.

There was a Def Con (or some hacker conference) talk where they put an android phone on airplane mode, stuck it in a faraday cage, and drove around with it. They set up a router and connected it to wifi while tracking all of the data it sent. The phone recorded and reported where they went based solely on the accelerometer. You are always being tracked, everywhere you go, as long as you have a smart phone with you.

>he thinks using a dumb phone means he won't get tracked
Kids today have no idea how technology works

source you massive faggot