Why does gnome software get more shitty and bloated looking with every release?

Why does gnome software get more shitty and bloated looking with every release?

Attached: gnome.png (402x488, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/74b0a69b6e917e6109e8cf41be4949238a8cd880
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/3a22ed5b8e3bbc1c59ff3069ee79755168754916
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you sure it is not your distro that does it? GNOME is all about user choice, you can install what you need.

>GNOME is all about user choice

Attached: 1517937699312.jpg (438x370, 107K)

This is literally the opposite of true.

lmao

oh look! yet another faggot complaining about stuff.
very original. go claim your participation trophy and GTFO

YOU'VE BEEN GNOMED

It's literally cancer,

Attached: wrong.jpg (167x175, 13K)

retard devs

Remember when they removed system tray icons from the taskbar and put a little dock in the bottom left corner of the screen that you had to hover to open and see your tray icons?
Literally the worst design choice in the history of computing.

Attached: tray.jpg (800x449, 33K)

Good thing they fixed that by just removing the tray entirely.

Why is there so much fucking whitespace on everything?
When you increase the icon size it scales the padding on everything at the same rate which is fucking retarded.

You used to be able to have big thumbnails with little padding but they removed the option to change thumbnail size
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/74b0a69b6e917e6109e8cf41be4949238a8cd880

Attached: 1516999086883.png (1920x1062, 345K)

What was their fucking endgame? SystemTrays integrate perfectly with the design of gnome anyway . Just try using one of the add ons to restore them.

Starring files has been broken for me since the feature came out nearly a year ago. Right clicking and starring an file does nothing, the starred folder stays empty and you get no error message when running nautilus from the terminal. You can't remove the star option in the side panel either.

>What was their fucking endgame?
Dunno.
It gets even more retarded though: The built-in screen recorder does have a tray icon.

Pretty much all software does

I can't deal with their bullshit anymore. I tried using Deepin but it uses their shit as back end and is just as disgustingly slow. It looks like I'm stuck with kde plasma.

hiding file extensions for your convenience!

Attached: 1530634297189.png (990x727, 164K)

>What was their fucking endgame?
Driving people to KDE it seems. They shot themselves in the foot too many times, I think they're doing on purpose at this point.

wait it's fine they fixed it, now you can't run binaries or programs from the file manager!
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/3a22ed5b8e3bbc1c59ff3069ee79755168754916

>They shot themselves in the foot too many times
I see what you did there.

>singling out GNOME

Can you name a single piece of commonly used software that doesn't get shittier and more bloated with every release?

>They shot themselves in the foot too many times
kek

The "experimental views" on nautilus looks really good and gets rid of the padding, it's a shame it's so broken they removed the option and have made no effort to improve it. There's a bug from a year ago where you can't even drag files. There's even a new bug where if you click on a file it will scroll the window randomly.

Probably to break Cinnamon and XFCE so their pretentious shit doesn't look so bad by comparison.

Couldn't resist. What's even more fitting is that it's true.

>nautilus
I believe you mean Files.

>Bloated
>Removing features
You're so wrong but if you are talking about the amount of resources that's true

so heres my experience with gnome.

>vintge gnome, fine nothing spectacular
>had cute top bar with my own icons, colors, applets and xompiz
>gnome 3.0 rolls in
>black bar, no icons, shit curve, no applets total regression
>ok fine i just install a dock
>window bars big like a thumb
>i just install a skin
>skin breaks every month
>ok fine i roll the default ugly one
>per desktop walppaper not supported
>ok who cares no wallpapers per desktop
>rotating wallpapers every 10min, make my self a script
>shit has a 5 year old bug, massive memory leak i have to just see one wallpaper
>Gedit just werks who cares with this simple plugins
>They update Gedit, every single addon breaks no one cares about gedit addons anymore precede to install emacs
>File manager big icons nothing spectacular, press letter and it jumps to the field works fine
> They change behavior, now if you type it does a recursive search taking for ever and requires a background app to make it work properly
>ww-ho cares... not a bigy
>kick mentions, Windows key functionality is trash, program finder is trash, having 10 services running in the background is trash, logo looks shit, app site is filled with broken garbage, minimialistic apps are all worthless shit with no real functionality, developers are toxic trash. calendar is trash.

Signed:
Archlinux user, i3-gaps, cute 2d girlfriend background.

Pötti's computer is strong enough to handle it.
That's all he cares about.

The logo looks like it was designed from foot fetish fucks.

How do you turn the experimental views off?

gsettings reset org.gnome.nautilus.preferences use-experimental-views

Scratch that. I found it.
For anyone else, use change /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/use-experimental-views to false in dconf/gsettings.
Thank you for posting that. I had no idea this was a "feature" and had lived with broken file dragging for however long this has existed.

Gnome is the only usable DE and it gets better with every release.

Attached: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bf497225235312f51b39804.gif (200x133, 970K)

Imagine actually believing this.

Attached: 1540742481744.png (1920x1080, 953K)

Kek. I need to reinstall my OS after experimenting with Gnome.

Testify!

wtf is that, a dog or a dogs toy?

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233

>14 years ago
Read the comments. Why are they such cunts?

Sorry boys, I went back to chromium os....

Linux is fun, but not stable.

Attached: 1540678171919.jpg (284x177, 4K)

Chromium OS is Linux.

it runs similar, but it works all the time everytime.

fpbp suck it konqi

Gnome 2 was solid, apart from minor flaws it just worked and i wish it would be back. When Gnome 3 happened they went downhill and never recovered, and they never will

>What was their fucking endgame
It's just the GNOME way at work.
>have ass-backwards idea of how [feature] should work
>implement it while completely ignoring their actual users
>users complain as expected
>fuck it we're removing [feature] entirely because no one likes it anyway lol

Because the devs are too far up their asses to hear people complaining about it.

Go back to Windows and /v/,queer.

Just stop using gnome, all DEs are bloat.

>t. Uses gnu/linux in a vm on a macbook

I find it amusing that GNOME is the most bloated DE despite trying to be the most minimalist

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNOME, is in fact, GNU/GNOME, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNOME. GNOME is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Ubuntu", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a GNOME, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNOME is the desktop environment: the programs in the system that allow the user to interact with it. The desktop environment is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNOME is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNOME added, or GNU/GNOME. All the so-called "GNOME" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNOME.

Attached: chrome_2018-11-01_02-10-20.png (195x297, 143K)

but gnome is trying to turn linux into windows

patience and skill?

a retarded version of windows

big bait

But GNOME looks like Android's bastard child with MacOS
If anything KDE is a lot more similar to Windows

Because making it good is the least of the developers concerns.

Yeah funny the timing of that. Look at when Gnome started doing outreachy distraction non dev shit and when gnome started going downhill. Funny how that works. It's almost like once take the focus off the technology, the technology goes to shit.

I wish GNOME devs would stop being fucking retards and implement the same wayland protocols literally everyone else uses. Look at this shit, the answer is basically just "no we don't it."
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217

no we don't like it*

That thread is a fucking mess
>they wont fix their broken garbage yet receive tons of money
>rip nautilus apart leaving it almost unusable
>take away system icons for no reason
>have extensions that are unsupported yet are almost needed to make it usable
>need an app just to change things in the DE instead of it baked into the DE itself
>had huge ram leak issues, forcing Canonical to step in, slap their shit, and tell them to fix it.
>remove features and say that it's for humans sake.
>60fps locked on DE, thus making anything above 60hz~ look like utter fucking shit
>wont budge on features, saying that once again, its for humans sake
>developers have their heads up their ass, thinking they are enlightened and they know what you want
Unity, Cinnamon, and Mate all came out from the gnome 3 garbage, you cannot pay me to use gnome 3, 3.30 finally fixed the leak, yet is still unusable.

\thread

Why the fuck is all the text justified? This is illegible.

Attached: Screenshot_20181120_213834.png (1176x723, 98K)

That's probably just gitlab being retarded for you. It's fine for me.

Attached: 2018-11-20-214438_grim.png (981x548, 79K)

>bloated
that's not true, a working gnome gesktop is like 100 megs to download and 500 unpacked
the only shitty thing about it is that it's the only really usable wayland thing atm BUT makes video playback micro stutter

post feet

a tray is useless in gnome3 as all your windows are easily viewable when you press super
that's why there's no minimise button either

i like the big window titles, they're comfy
but you should realise that they're theme specific, so just change your theme, for example to arc

>muh wallpapers
gedit has been abandonware for a long time, see the mailing list