IBM Mainframe

University is letting me use a rockhopper I IBM mainframe
Can any of you think of something fun to do while im in?
>>suse12
>>ssh connection
>> 4 IPL's
already scan the network nothing else comes to mind

Attached: rock.png (519x524, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix-test-suite.com/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-talos-2&num=6
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/IPL
redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-ibm-system-z
suse.com/products/systemz/
ubuntu.com/download/server/s390x
debian.org/ports/s390/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_I/O
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>mainframes
Are you a time traveler from the 70s?

ddos Israel

Dump the OS and send it to someone who's developing z emulators.

mine bitcoin

oh wait

And also post it on the Internet -maybe a torrent or something-.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Explain for a brainlet?

My Z/VM machine has no 'g' access so i cannot get the Os image of Z/Os
and suse image is not a secret

Try the following program:
cd code
cd..
pwd
cd..
cd ..
cd code
cd ..

You will shit bricks, guaranteed.

I'm no expert, but my guess would be to dump all the binaries, a kernel image, and any library objects. Debug symbols if possible, so that a good reverse engineer could decompile them.

sounds like a lot of time also not worth of getting me expelled

not enough privileges

How many cores and memory do you have access to anyways?

IPL's are the cores

Probably not. You can write a quick script to do it, but I bet a university firewall would freak out.

IPL's are the cores 5Ghtz on each one i have 4 and memory i have 16Gbs of storage and idk about RAM

5Ghz sounds nice
Are they similar to the Power9 cores in the Talos II or is there some difference? If there is maybe it would be interesting to run Phoronix Test Suite, they did some tests on the Talos II with it

>Phoronix Test
IBM architecture the IPL's are measured in MIP's
million instructions per second Phoronix seems interesting were do i get it? Will post the results also im going to run a fork bomb >>n00b.jpg
Anyone knows about a performance monitor that i can run on the terminal?

Attached: 1540829784473s.jpg (250x227, 9K)

>Anyone knows about a performance monitor that i can run on the terminal?
Top? Htop? I dunno, those usually come with *nix systems. If you're on Linux do you wanna try "free -m" for memory info?

phoronix-test-suite.com/

Download and install that and run
phoronix-test-suite benchmark 1806251-AR-LINUXCPUS06"

as indicated at the end of this page phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-talos-2&num=6

Sorry, that command had an additional quote at the end, the right command is
phoronix-test-suite benchmark 1806251-AR-LINUXCPUS06

ok ill get it working
i'll post results tomorrow at 10am
there is no htop just top idk how to get decent software on suse

Try top. I think that's part of the POSIX spec.

Use it to run Hentai@Home and support the sad panda

bump

>Are they similar to the Power9 cores in the Talos II or is there some difference?
Nah, IBM's mainframe architectures are absolutely nothing like POWER. z/Arch is a direct descendant of the S/360 and to my understanding still maintains binary compatibility despite being just as modern as anything else we have today.

I don't get why people are so narrow-minded and triggered when they hear that word. Modern mainframes are pretty fucking cutting-edge, moreso than some shitty x86 or POWER server.

They're not really competitive though even if they're fucking cool. They have only legacy customers.

Shitpost to Jow Forums
Or try to find a merssene prime

Oh, I don't know why I was under the wrong impression that they had an unified CPU for everything.
So what's the advantage of the mainframes over their servers other than hotswap everything and running programs redundantly on multiple CPUs for reliability? Modern serves have almost everything hotswappable too.
I would say NUMA but the POWER servers implement that too don't they? How's the IPC like? It's impossible to find almost any info online about these things for obvious reasons.

And over backwards compatibility obviously, which is likely to be their biggest strength as said.

Bruteforce some shit, if the box has the horsepower

Install windows

Karlie?

Hack the mainframe

this
check out if they have spectre mitigations or they're vulnerable

I feel that's more due to the stigma than actual technical reasoning anymore.

>So what's the advantage of the mainframes over their servers other than hotswap everything and running programs redundantly on multiple CPUs for reliability?
A modern SysZ can tolerate apocalyptic levels of critical component failure while still remaining available, encrypts pretty much everything inside and out and can process shit tons of data concurrently. And as has already been said, they're also backwards compatible with over 50 years' worth of software written for systems as far back as the first S/360s.
>How's the IPC like?
I don't know how you'd even meaningfully apply this kind of metric considering there's really only one kind of z/Arch processor made by one company for every generation. I get the feeling most people don't care too much for the CPU particulars of these kinds of systems anyway, it's much more about what the whole package delivers in security, reliability and throughput. IPC doesn't mean much towards a system's aptitude in handling millions of critical transactions with the most security and accuracy possible at any given moment, or running thousands of VMs concurrently, or running continuously for years without a moment of downtime.

So where do the concurrency capabilities come from? Memory bandwidth?

> 4 IPL's
What on earth are you talking about IPL is "boot up" in IBM lingo; why are you bragging about turning it on four times?

wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/IPL

Probably a mix of that, excessive redundancy and just the overall design of the system. I’m not really well versed in the finer points of the Z architecture, so I don’t think I could really answer that question with much detail. This is mostly what I have been told or have read over the years by people who have worked with them at least somewhat extensively, and the use cases where these systems still reign supreme checks out against it.

it's "cd kode"

Speculative execution has supposedly been pretty well secured on IBM mainframes since the S/370 introduced security measures against that kind of usage 40 years ago, can’t find any official statements though.

cool

Now that I think about it, how the fuck does it run Linux VMs on z/Architecture? Is Linux compiled specifically for it? Does GCC support that arch? Or does it somehow emulate something else?

Pretty sure GCC supports it, most enterprise-minded distros have z/Arch or S/390 ports.

Because Linux runs on z:
redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-ibm-system-z
suse.com/products/systemz/
ubuntu.com/download/server/s390x

I never knew Ubuntu had an S/390 port, always figured they were too trendy for that.

I'm pretty much an OS illiterate by Jow Forums standards and my first thought was to run a fork bomb as well.
This makes me feel validated.

On debian too
debian.org/ports/s390/

Install Gentoo?

I'd watch that livestream

Spotted the brainlet.

compute hash tables
cross-compile programs
mine crypto
shitpost at the speed of light
post a *fetch to flex on people

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_I/O