Personal Website Thread

I have been looking into creating a simple personal website.

ITT: We discuss the best ways to host a personal/portfolio website for as few shekels as possible.

>why
Personal websites are the only true neckbeard way of maintaining an online presence

>squarespace or other affiliate shit
Don't be a faggot.

>what should an actual Jow Forumsentooman's personal website should look like?
Don't be a faggot.
Write your own website. Wordpress is cancer.

Here are some examples -
stallman.org
lukesmith.xyz

>God. Damn. Beautiful.

If anyone has experience with this stuff, get in here.

Attached: rms-sexy.jpg (1920x2560, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

motherfuckingwebsite.com
bestmotherfucking.website
arachnoid.com
search.lores.eu
fourmilab.ch
linuxjournal.com/article/2393
rajnoha.com/
blog.nearlyfreespeech.net/2017/09/25/significant-pricing-updates-are-coming-soon/
akkartik.name/nfs.html
faq.nearlyfreespeech.net/section/policy/supplementalverification#supplementalverification
cultdeadcow.com/cDc_files/cDc-0409.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Hosting

>on the cloud?

Perhaps the most cheap and straightforward method will be to host a static website on S3 or Azure. Especially considering that the first year is almost free.

> On a VPS?
Certainly has a few more advantages. You get your own email for example. Like [email protected]

However, VPS providers are more expensive for our purposes. The cheap ones are shady.
You will have to pay upfront

> Stallmans blatantly disgusting gut/website design
> Lukesmuth in general
> Again looks like shit
> xyz tld
Is this one of these troll people I keep hearing about?

I host mine on a pretty boringly standard VPS (DigitalOcean). Probably a little more expensive than necessary for just a website, but I use it for other things too. Only notable thing is that it's a hybrid gopher/HTTP site (i.e., you can access it over either protocol).

Use Jekyll to build a static site. Host on Github pages.

Attached: 343C2AEC-C8AF-4A87-8805-4CFE760B267E.jpg (581x767, 105K)

>not hosting your personal web server on a Linux vps running a gentoo or void OS with root access and vm horizon client access

100% sweetie.jar

> Doesn't know uncle luke

Did you try other hosts before settling with DigitalOcean?
Do you host your own mail server?
Your experiences can be useful

I have a site hosted on github pages. That is my portfolio. I have a site hosted on gitlab pages. That is my blog. I also have a site hosted on a Raspberry Pi 1. That is for dev stuff / my old portfolio site / my secret blog.

Stallman's website is good, Luke al-Smith's is not. Just write your website in html and host it yourself.

Static site generator
Github repository
Netlify

I write stuff for my site in markdown and push it to github and it automatically deploys to my live site. By far the easiest way to make a personal site.

>github pages
What email do you use? Have you considered aliasing with custom domain?

from what I understand, cock.li doesn't have an option to alias your email

Attached: faggot.png (1207x587, 91K)

this is just raw HTML that any 12 year old can write

>what should an actual Jow Forumsentooman's personal website look like
motherfuckingwebsite.com
bestmotherfucking.website

More examples of nice personal websites:

arachnoid.com
search.lores.eu
fourmilab.ch

Something I found that is free and powerful is Heroku. If you use it with Django you can basically mix Python with HTML/CSS/JS and do all sorts of crazy stuff
Really easy and free but I'm not sure how much traffic it can handle before you need to pay. Also the domain has herokuapp.com on the end of it, haven't looked into getting rid of it

DO NOT use jekyl, hugo, or any other static site generator.

All static site generators are bloated rubbish and they produce bloated rubbish. Don't be a baseddev!

I suggest creating your own static site generator with PHP which is included almost everywhere now. If PHP is not to your liking Python would also work.

water wheel powered pi zero wifi

>don't be a soidev
>just use PHP
Did you get whiplash from contradicting yourself that fast?

php is fine for templating but horrible for writing entire applications

php is bloat. just use server-side includes.

>register domain
>find dns provider
>find email provider
>get an EC2
>get an S3
>make site with basic html
>done

stallman is insufferable, but have to respect him for being so thoroughly principled.
also, just learn html and host form a RasPi or something ffs

>not posting the greatest website of all time as an example

Attached: rinklogo.gif (317x70, 2K)

Use m4 to build a website:
linuxjournal.com/article/2393

Can you generate a static site with ssi? I use php to generate a static website locally then I upload the site to s3. I would use ssi instead if you can use it locally

Grandpa here.

Is wordpress still a thing?

Attached: 007.jpg (1920x1440, 308K)

write it from scratch
host it anywhere since its few kB
or you can used Github Pages and push stuff into viewable sites, then just buy domain elswhere cheaply and link it.
I made this supersimple less than 5 kb website for myself on wedos (local hosting)
>rajnoha.com/

Looks cool

Github pages is actually free and the domain is somewhat customizable.
You can just host a repo with your site in it, doesn't get much simpler than that.
Same goes for gitlab, if you don't like hosting your shit on m$ servers.

>that formatting of the html files

You use emacs, don't you?

>rajnoha.com/
no actually, the problem is that I have a vim on debian at home, but vim inside iTerm2 terminal emulator on my work's mac and its a mess.

I run plain html (no markup) on gitlab pages and it's fine

So this github pages thing is free, but still had to fork out a bit to get a domain yes?

anyone else feel disgust looking at rms? look after your body, damn.

Consider NearlyFreeSpeech, they have cheap shared hosting, although they recently had to raise prices to compensate for DDOS-management costs:
blog.nearlyfreespeech.net/2017/09/25/significant-pricing-updates-are-coming-soon/

Not all smiles and roses though,
akkartik.name/nfs.html
and they reserve the right to ask for an ID (creepy)
faq.nearlyfreespeech.net/section/policy/supplementalverification#supplementalverification

Still, I haven't personally had any bad experiences, and I don't know if other companies would be substantially better

Text files wrapped in tags is the patrician method.
cultdeadcow.com/cDc_files/cDc-0409.html

you need to set up a config file so it gets auto-builded. There is list of prepared project for various static sites generators, but you can start with empty project if you want.

This still needs escaping though. Cant you just serve txt files?