Gentoo Benchmark

Is there a benchmark showing that Gentoo is actually faster than other Linuxes or even Windows for that matter?

You optimize it for you're own computer by compiling it. How good is optimization?

Attached: gentoo-linux_1_orig.png (560x397, 91K)

* cricket chirping sounds *

You sound like an outsider.

stop OP

Attached: 1529028700325.jpg (320x320, 18K)

Although didn't save the results I compiled the kernel and most on the software on my laptop and it ran fast. It was CRUX though.

>faster
how?
boot time? hdd/ssd read/write speed? What FS? Which architecture?
Ghash/s? MD5 or SHA256? OpenCL or CPU? CUDA? Non-free firmware? Digests for large files?
Array manipulation? nQueens? Sorting? Shader calculation? Gcc compile time, for what flag? Is set-up time included?

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN

get cloveros and see for yourself

it needs to be able to get better scores in calculating the number of Pi, than the same Pi code would get in non Gentoo OS

no, is just placebo

wew
OS choice is an extremely small part of optimizing something like that

I am going to try to squeeze another 6% out of my system. It's the fact that you know your system is about as optimized as it's going to get. Also, my old Athlon Xp 1500 smokes most of the 2.0Ghz+ boxes.. And that's what it's all about.

But can you quantify the "smoking out"
That's what OP is asking if I understand correctly

get a job

Gentoo is much more optimized in my opinion, it has more support, benefits any hardware circumstances, and runs at at least 20% faster than Redhat

What kind of stuff can be done with Athlon XP 1500 nowdays and isnt it badly limited with the 400MHz RAM

A full install (stage1) with Gnome can be done in a day on an athlon-xp, provided you start in the morning and really know what you're doing (ie know exactly what you want in each of the configs, and exactly which packages to merge).

what can it be used for after Gentoo install is complete?

I love building all sources from scratch, then it will be optimized and made to run smooth for MY machine. as Debian normally uses binary packages, yeah dependencies crap may happen, that's odd, you might as well just switch to pure source base distro, right

-march=native -flto master race reporting in.

you can post "install gentoo" threads on Jow Forums while ricing

Install Gentoo.

Attached: 1539834083568.png (540x474, 425K)

Sweet this is where Jow Forums colony will be

Is installing CloverOS just as good as installing Gentoo, or do I need to install Gentoo to get the benefits of installing Gentoo?

> Is there a benchmark showing that Gentoo is actually faster than other Linuxes
Why would it be generally faster? Depends on what software you run on what machine with which configured features

> You optimize it for you're own computer
No. Generally peopke optimize just for the detected CPU features, most/all of which won't be unique to yours. Some even do fully generic x86_64.

> How good is optimization?
Not bad depending on which.

You can start doing your Gentoo stuff from stage 1, 3, or CloverOS or Sabayon, as you prefer.

t. and it only takes 14 days to compile the OS !

what really matters is if you like pedo wallpapers.
otherwise, cloveros has no advantage

What are stages 1 and 3?

Isn't the advantage that it's easy to install, and Gentoo has a reputation for being hard to install?

>No. Generally peopke optimize just for the detected CPU features, most/all of which won't be unique to yours. Some even do fully generic x86_64.
Isn't generic x86_64 what all binary distros target? I'd assume the difference would be measurable, compared to compiling for a much more recent architecture with more extensions.

it defeats the purpose of gentoo, since everything comes precompiled.

With the default stable setup of using the "older" gcc and the recommended -O2 -march=native it is going to be slightly slower than the fastest other distros. You can however fairly easily do all the tricks the other distros use and match or surpass them

I compiled the kernel in less than 2 minutes today. I had to enable FUSE. Does this help?

after the gentoo install is complete you can finally install gentoo again

Make an assembly script for calculating pi, plug a bootloader in its butt and there you have your absolute optimalized OS.

Thanks - that's what I needed to know.

Gentoo is good becase it's flexible, speedups of the kind you mention really are not important or significant in majority of cases.

his job is making you look like an idiot