Why should i use plan9?

Why should i use plan9?

Attached: tuttleglenda.png (237x349, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fqa.9front.org/fqa1.html#1.3
plan9.stanleylieber.com/mothra/
bullshit.aiju.de/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

fqa.9front.org/fqa1.html#1.3

Nein.

cause you're neet

Maybe

Attached: 1490293415846.gif (236x307, 1.56M)

What else would you do with your time?

To see what it's like
There's no reason otherwise

I don't know

Attached: 1503960816244.gif (500x375, 393K)

Because it's cool

Because it is absolutely unironically the best operating system ever created. To really, truly use a computer well, you need to be able to program it. Even if you can write code to run inside other oses, they are too large and complicated for you to understand and control the full software stack from the kernel to userspace. Plan 9 is small and efficient and rigorous in its use of consistent abstractions and uses simple C and shell scripting for everything, and includes full source for everything inside the distribution. Its build environment and self-modificiation loop is so tight its almost like a lisp machine or smalltalk.

Of course, you will need at least one other operating system for media/web, but thats fine. Thats THEIR os - the googlebookazon monster. Plan 9 is for you, and is yours to make what you will of it.

is there a web browser for plan9 or is it templeOS tier memery?

Attached: terry.png (628x800, 665K)

Can someone redpill me on plan9? What purpose does it serve?

Yes
plan9.stanleylieber.com/mothra/

Only hackers use plan 9.

Research OS of original unix creators, continuation from before it turned into abomination fozen by stupid standards such as posix. Development by Bells Labs discontinued, now community project.

It is a general purpose OS like linux albait in its current state media and web are not well supported.
It's the best OS written: good, simple, effective architecture.
While there are other specialized OSes that make you able to do crazier and maybe more powerful stuff they are not as simple and vice versa.
Plan 9(9front) is the sweet spot of all good metrics from the technical point of view speaking today.

Cont'd.
The main features are
> private namespaces
> Everything is a file(system) abstraction
> Only open protocol for everything 9P

For example of you want to to do remote debugging just use command for exporting the remote directory /proc
and mouth it instead of your current /proc and start the debugger locally.
From the perspective of that window you are in the same state of the remote system. The system is not affected as they view different state of the system.

That's just an example you can do that on Linux too but in Plan 9 is elegant and transparent.
other cool stuff are
> Rio
> plumber
> Mouse chording
> Structural regular expression

And many more (eg ndb and factotum)

There are some mistakes in this post. I wrote it from phone.

*Only one protocol
* And mount it

>> Structural regular expression
so what programs implement this? I only know Sam does. Is there Awk version with structural expressions?

>and uses simple C and shell scripting for everything
If I'm starting to learn C. Would it be a good idea to play around in and poke through Plan9's code in a VM?

Acme implements them too. As far as I know awk don't.
That's obviously a minor point, you don't use Plan 9 for the SRE, you can have them in linux too with plan9port or few editors implements them natively (vis does it but I could be wrong)

>feminize(1) — replace sexist remarks
Nice

Ok I'll make awk with strexps for myself. I'm so sick of line-oriented tools

I use 9front as my daily driver, including in the workplace. AMA I guess

Attached: ima_31a6251.jpg (1928x1446, 161K)

Job? How based Plan 9 is?

post fresh photo

>Job?
I write a lot of embedded C, so I can use pretty much any OS I want as long I can compile.

>How based Plan 9 is?
Plan 9 is super great. It's a small, coherent system where everything just works.

Attached: 1537486089326.png (1920x1080, 438K)

How did you configure the extra buttons for the mouse? Fairly sure the only proper utilities that let you set them only work on Windows.

>web browser
>implying a simple web browser alone is enough to browse these days

Attached: whiteys-place.png (628x564, 911K)

Why

write your own drivers

>send HTTP request to get a page
>all I get is a javascript script to download the actual page

Attached: angry_pepe.jpg (900x900, 65K)

Where did you start when configuring this kind of system?

Honestly, there wasn't even really all that much to configure. It all just works out of the box assuming you run supported hardware. I'm using default everything.

>bullshit(1) — print out a stream of bullshit
ayy

There's also a web version.
bullshit.aiju.de/

>abstract abstract service service
i love shit like this

Attached: 1vb99t.jpg (429x367, 23K)

Can I use 9front as NAS OS for raspi?

It depends on which pi you have. I don't think 9front runs on all models.

9bump

So fellow Plan 9ers, how many systems do you connect with 9p? What is the largest ensemble of 9-systems you have coordinated? How does the distributed capabilities of the os pay work out in practice?

State of plan9 on singleboards? Which to buy and what fork to use on it?

Also curious. 9p is the most interesting about plan9.

FREAKA ME, FREAKA YOU!

name one site that does this

Just installed 9front, how does anyone live like this?

Currently gridding around a dozen plan 9 servers. Continuous background data mirroring and deduplication, root into any snapshotted namespace spawned on any cpu node. A data paradise completely undreamed of by the mainstream computing world.