What law does this violate?

What law does this violate?

>make a piece of hardware that uses a standard media interface
>but branded media has a special digital signature associated with it
>make it so using unbranded media will violate the warranty

Picture not related (though I guess Nintendo could have done that).

Attached: 531257-nintendo-switch-branded-micro-sd-cards[1].jpg (810x456, 53K)

Consumer protection laws?

Eh yeah, at most only this.

What a hori thing to do

w8 wat? nintendo switches dont use standard micro sd card?

National law of many place. And no laws or no laws yet (but it'll be changed in a year if you do it) in other places. What else?

In America at least it wouldn't invalidate your warranty. You have the right to replace parts in a device you own without the entire warranty being revoked I believe.

> standard media interface
> >make it so using unbranded media will violate the warranty
It's possible, but it doesn't solve anything. If the price difference is too high, people will neglect a warranty. Damn, they travel to China to solder new memory chips to their iPhones because it's cheaper and you talk about warranty violations.

That shit won't fly in most countries. But this seems so plausible for Nintendo to do.

Why is it the more against your rights a company is, the more rabid fans there are? Nintendo fans are a lot worse than the typical Apple fan.

Wtf is this thread??? Why would Nintendo want to allow people to pirate their games? Who the fuck cares about the warranty?

Nintendo never did that, and I never heard of anyone who did that because it's fucking retarded.

Some people missed the "Picture not related".

No, they do, I just needed something that felt contextually appropriate. The Switch accepts other microSDs without any issue.

Should have licensed the standard under the GPL.

>Picture not related
well baited

but you basically described the playstation vita - expensive proprietary mem cards, but a hacked system can read microsd just fine thru the game card slot

Haven't there been some consoles (or "consoles") that have used standard SD cards for their game carts?
I dunno about voiding warranty, but technically you could still do digital signatures or other validation that prevents other SD cards from working.

>but you basically described the playstation vita - expensive proprietary mem cards, but a hacked system can read microsd just fine thru the game card slot
Why stop at the Vita? DS and other consoles can be made to read SD/microSD cards too.

>though I guess Nintendo could have done that
retard

I'm a retard didnt read the OP properly and just looked at the pic and said WTF.

Saw 200gb sdmicros on amazon for super cheap though, so theres that.

>but branded media has a special digital signature associated with it

you mean like every console that uses cd/dvd/bluray?

Attached: PSX.jpg (1416x1429, 421K)

the wii and every console that came after it used SD or MicroSD cards for additional storage, but they never put games on there

>basically described the ps vita
>a standard media interface
>ps vita memory cards
>using non branded ones violates warranty
>ps vita memory cards
No. He did not basically describe ps vita memory cards. No one to date lost his warranty because they used non sony memory cards, because there weren't any, since it was proprietary and not a standard media interface.

They use a new standard they created, the mod change some pins and it works. It's like adapting DVI to HDMI, different standards but if you do some wiring job it works.

Are you retarded? You need an entire new computer to emulate the DS cartridge, every single flashcard has a ARM SoC inside to manage the data and run its own OS.

Are you dumb? They use standard media and using unbranded shit won't violate the warranty. How do you think you can watch Bluray/DVD movies or play CD audio on Playstations and Xboxes?

But they didn't.

>You need an entire new computer to emulate the DS cartridge, every single flashcard has a ARM SoC inside to manage the data and run its own OS.
Oh, so the R4 didn't exist then (you're not thinking of the 3DS, are you?).

A R4 is essentially a computer, with it's own processor, RAM and everything else. Read the post again. You can't just wire a SD to the cartridge pins to make it work.

It basically comes down to the practice doesn't violate anything as it essentially is a form of DRM that would have to be broken to bypass the protection.

The warranty argument stems from using something that could be damaging to the hardware such as cheap media or media with unauthorized software.

>Jow Forums - illiteracy

>But they didn't.
Exactly, but OP implied that and I told him no, they didn't.

That would be dumb

They are just rebranded sandisk kek

Vita can because the gamecard is kinda like a modified SD card with some extensions.
The memory cards are completely different though

The DS is different in that it requires an active component.

However said active component is a FPGA
It also needs custom software loaded on the system to work

what the fuck are you talking about. the switch uses a completely standard micro sd card slot just like the 3ds. literally any micro sd card will work fine. This has absolutely nothing to do with the console's warranty itself but buying a branded card will get you nintendo's warranty on the life of the card instead of the usual manufacturer's warranty.

consumers will automatically lean toward buying branded cards because they have zero doubt that a nintendo "official" product will work with another nintendo product regardless of whether its exactly the same as an unbranded card. no need to dig through a pile of cards trying to find the right class/speed/whatever that they probably don't know anything about. nintendo knows this and made a deal with sandisk. sandisk profits through increased sales. nintendo profits through profit sharing. most consumers will like the "made for nintendo switch" thing and everyone else will just continue buying standard cards

Have you read the OP?