Is there any way to ethically monetize a website?

Other than ads and mining bitcoin in the clients browser, how could one make money from a website?

Attached: spin.gif (500x700, 999K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have a donation button or offer a paid service.

Subscription to use service.

Tip jar, donations, selling things, etc.

unironically crypto miner
just tell people about it when they enter the site, explain it as a better alternative to ads

no you jewnigger. both those options are awful

this is pretty much /thread

I've tried doing this on my site but nothing ever comes of it, are text only ads a good answer?

Advertisement without botnet scripts (image+link).
Donations, premium accounts.

Have you considered that your website doesn't need to make money just by the virtue of it existing?

Produce content people are willing to pay for?

I host various servers for tf2 and other source games, most of my clie ts are too young to pay.

Yeah, use it to sell goods and services... just like an actual store except digital. So far as opinion sites [read: news] go, it turns out it doesn't monetize to much of anything due to opinions being like assholes.

This. I was going to post about how in ~19 years Homestar Runner has never hosted ads and has always paid for their costs by merch.

>tfw HR is almost 20 years old

What are non-ethical ways to monetize website without using cryptominer?

Then stop hosting or stop being a poorfag. Probably costs you 5$ a month.

>alternative to ads
is right, although I think a voluntary toggle-able crypto miner as an alternative to donations would be fine.

Intrusive ads, pop-ups, fake download buttons
Malicious ads, malware
Forcing email subscriptions, selling email to spammers
Selling user information

You're obviously too young to remember the internet in the late 90's and early 2000's

Put up some unobtrusive vetted ads and offer users a cheap subscription to turn them off.

Or gamify it even. Crypto will really rule the digital economy soon

lwn.net/
has a pretty good model

Kind of like what many youtubers do with patreon/floatplane getting early access

T. Wsj

BAT would be cool way if anybody would use it

I mean A cool way

put ads on it

This. Ask for some fucking donations.