Anyone done the CompTIA? Would you recommend it for someone relatively new in the IT field?

Anyone done the CompTIA? Would you recommend it for someone relatively new in the IT field?

I was looking at getting pic related, but I couldn't find a place to purchase the ebook of the latest edition for a low price

Attached: comptia.jpg (1946x2560, 873K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io/search.php?req=comptia all-in-one&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=100&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A+ is fine for pc-techs and HelpDesk, if you're posting on this board it's likely a waste of time for you though. Get the Network+ instead

Source: started with # of comp-tia certs and now work in infosec

>Mike Meyers

Attached: AustinP.png (633x356, 398K)

He says he is relatively new to IT. Dont forget, there are many who post here who are "relatively new".
This book will be a good taster for him - the networking stuff can come later, once he learns how a PC works.

No, experience is far better. A+ itself is a waste of time and money. You want it, let your job pay for it after you get hired. Otherwise the only thing it really helps with is resume padding.

itpro.tv comptia is free over thanksgiving.

That guy is long-winded. Book could be half as many pages as it is if he was more concise. Also, the 901 and 902 exams are being retired in January, but you’ll be able to take them for up to six months after the retirement date.

I took the exam.
All the questions on the exam are extremely dated, they expect you to know about tech that is 10-20 years old and completely obsolete.

this. my network+ exam covered token rings and T1 lines and shit, and i took it 5 months ago

A lot of the questions are really asinine as well, like whether you should use more RAM in a computer that runs VM's or is used for Gaming, without specifying what you are using the Virtual Machines for.

I'm not even sure the people who wrote the text know what Virtual Machines actually ARE.

I dont recommend it at all. The jobs it will get you are not worth doing , and its not the side of IT that will go anywhere. Get some skills in whatever you want to do and be able to demonstrate them

ignore A+ unless you want to be in help desk. The material is still good to know however.
Don't waste your time on the Network+. Get CCENT/CCNA instead.
Sec+ is ok to have

>T1
telecoms enginigger here, we still use T1s
hospital here uses several T1's, like 96 channels per campus for an entire block of telephone numbers (e.g. 111-222-xxxx), each one mapped to an extension
look up direct inward dialing if it floats your boat

I dug up a trunk cable just to fuck with the phone company

You need net+ to get sec+

incorrect. you can start with Sec+ if you want. it's honestly easier than the Net+

I have the A+ Net+ and Security+, 20 years of experience, and a degree in math.

So far they have not opened any doors. All anyone asks for is one of those crappy degrees from the fly-by-night paper-mill tech schools. People leave those without knowing how to write a simple batch script, but human resources doesn't know any better.

I did it. 300k starting.

>family friend recommends a+
>spend a month studying like hell
>tfw all you guys are saying a+ sucks ass

Attached: 1450809427976.gif (500x532, 904K)

It's too easy to be a test of anything. If you can't pass it cold turkey, you shouldn't touch a computer.

It’s a good entry level cert, don’t listen to these autists

It's good to get your foot in the door as it can be difficult to get a tech job without experience.

A+ is for you to get your first job in IT. Especially for people with no college degree or tangential work experience it is an opportunity to get something on your resume that says you are competent.

Most people dismiss it because it is not a pre-requisite for anything. If you already have been working 1-2 years in IT you will never need to take the exam for an A+.

If you think comptia will be beneficial for your career, youre shit.

There are three foundational certs with CompTIA.

A+

Only get this if you really don't know how a computer works. If you don't know what ram is, how a processor works, etc then get it. However, it's not really necessary for any of the other certs.

Network+

It's considered the second highest as far as renewal goes but it's the hardest of the foundational certs. It is really great for your first foray into actually understanding computers/networks.

Security+

Slightly harder than the A+ but way easier than the Net+. It's not super technical, and employers even in non-tech fields love to see this shit all around.

Linux+ / Server+ / Storage+

If you actually want to understand how systems work, get these only after you finish the foundational ones. These will really teach you how business computers/enterprise servers work on a foundational level and if you get lucky you can get a job as a jr sys admin which is the gateway to high-level networking careers.

Yea, I'd recomment A+, Network+, Security+ and Linux+ to anyone who's into technology and wants a career in it. I wouldn't renew them if you're in higher employment in the future, but they're good starters and the base knowledge is important.
Network+ is probably the most important of those desu.

It's alright for new comers for tech..
100% this. if you can't pass it and you work in technology field please kill yourself.

If you have zero experience or skills, it's not a bad place to start. Though if you're already tech inclined it could be a waste of time and money.

This

>Anyone done the CompTIA? Would you recommend it for someone relatively new in the IT field?
Hell NO, get fundamentals down first lad. Don't listen to all these trolls in this thread, the A+ will chew you out if you're new to tech. The only way it can be "easy" is if you've spent all your teen years building and repairing desktops/laptops and can use the CLI and write complex scripts for it in minutes without having to look stuff up.

t. failed it twice and passed it on 3rd try by a few points

Attached: 716.jpg (662x393, 34K)

LPIC3 here - found ed. 9 exam guide and dunno which ed. desk ref.

libgen.io/search.php?req=comptia all-in-one&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=100&phrase=1&column=def

>thinks server + isn’t a foundational cert
>thinks comptia isn’t a foundation company
>thinks any value can be gained from vendor neutral studies

>The only way it can be "easy" is if you've spent all your teen years building and repairing desktops/laptops and can use the CLI
Oh, so most of this fucking board then. Fuck off, normalfag

A+ is outdated trash. Just get all three AWS Associate certs and make $100,000 starting.

I couldn't pass the A+ cold turkey. Has a bunch of pointless memorization for standards like PCI and Mobo sizes. Stuff I know of but have zero reason to ever commit to memory. Also has a bunch of subjective questions you just need to know their answer to.

It depends. How much do you already know and how much do you want to study? If you take it without knowing anything you'll probably fail.

based boomer

It was my start in IT--when I got hired at helpdesk years ago I promised that I would get it. It didn't really teach me much more than I learned building gaming PCs when I was younger, but it's definitely a great "foot in the door".

I've since gotten more certs and they have all been really beneficial. One thing that's cool about A+ is that you renew it automatically when you get a more advanced certification.

I'm now a Linux Admin/Eng now fwiw

Started with A+; made my way to Net+, Server+ and Microsoft MTA.

Currently 26yo, making $51k/yr in New York.

A+ is definitely a good place to start if you're just getting into the industry. It will land you interviews but definitely look into others as you progress. Figure out what you want to specialize in.

I'm already sick of Desktop Support after 4 years and 3 jobs. Looking into Networking and Security. Probably going back to college.

A majority of it commonsense. Besides the details of a few legacy connectors. Still, CompTIA+ looks real good on any CV/resume. A lot of places have it as a prerequisite though it's not actually required

I worked for free at a managed services company for 3 months and that allowed me to get a good paying helpdesk/sysadmin job. I would only recommend certs from Cisco, Redhat, AWS, VMware and Microsoft. If your really good you don't need certs, but they do help you get jobs.

it's good foundational knowledge, but nobody gives a fuck about it at interview time unless you are interviewing to be a pc technician. you should focus on software development and cloud. last i checked A+ does has nothing related to cloud. learn aws, gke, azure, and sdn if you want to make 6 figures.

if you know openstack, kubernetes, concurrency, go, python, and bash & general unix concepts, i would hire you for 130,000 USD tomorrow if you can show up on time and commit at least once a day code that solves our group's needs.

This. Cloud shit is becoming huge and well paid.

tfw 5 years younger, 0 certs, work remotely in a small town with way lower cost of living, make $47k/yr

Attached: 1513279153.jpg (1243x1232, 174K)

Wrong. Learn z/OS and COBOL; don’t listen to the cloud meme.

don't understand why the idiots in this thread don't get that the A+ is a way to prove to employers that you know the material. no fucking hiring manager is going to just take your word that you know how computers work. it's to get your foot in the door

Most Jow Forums users are autistic and don’t understand social conventions.