NUC Thread

Does anyone have experience with Intel NUCs? I've been wondering if one would make a good basic PC for my parents. They seem pretty well engineered, and aren't a bad value.

Attached: 56-102-210-Z01.jpg (720x540, 26K)

too expensive for what they can do

Expensive
Shit cooling and loud as fuck
No expandability (PCie)
Garbage firmware, some of the buggiest shit I've seenm you'd expect such buggy firmware from fucking chink OEMs and not Intel

They're pretty nice machines. I have one running 9front and another running NixOS.

Just get Lenovo thinkcentre or some normal office pc

They're very nice. Never get an i7 version though.

I have an early celeron model, and use it as a VM host. Before that I set it up as a windows PC and it ran great. My only complaint is that it refuses to boot without a monitor attached, so my headless VM box needed one of those HDMI "fake monitor" things.
Mine is super quiet, but it's also only a dual core celeron. If you got an i5 or i7 I'm sure you'd have the issues the above posters had.
Just remember, it needs low voltage RAM, not just any laptop memory is going to work in them.

so literally everything intel makes?

They still make good NICs, wired and wireless.

>good NICs, wired and wireless.
yea reinstalling drivers every other week and giving up and just buying a tplink usb adapter is the kind of "unique" quality" ive come to expect from intel

I'm sorry, I meant for Linux and BSD. I don't normally have to deal with Windows TCP stack, thankfully.

>Pentium 2
Overpriced ($800 for something a K6 did for WAY less) and outdated within a year
>Penium 4
Housefire shit and outdated the moment i got it, nothing used its meme features
>one of intels first sata 3 ssd no idea what it was called
surprisingly the only thing intel ever made that i owned or used that wasn't shit
>4770k
Housefire shit, throttles on water, doesn't overclock
>4200u
Throttles to 800mhz even in a thinkpad with proper cooling
>intel wireless adapter
like i said, have fun reinstalling drivers every week
>intel 660p
slower than a mechanical hard drive, how did intel jew people into buying these?

Lincucks and BSMeme isn't going to fix intel being constantly shit for 25+ years

Have 3 i5 NUCs running a proxmox cluster. They are small, quiet, and efficient. You pay a premium for that, but not apple prices. I have not had issues as others have described.

Get your parents a cheap ass dell or a tablet.

It's shit. If you want a stress free easy mode machine for your parents, get them either a Mac Mini, or Airbook. It's literally designed for this exact purpose.

If you're dedicated to a Windows or Linux box, you're probably going to get garbage unless you're willing to pay above a certain price.

I use NUCs at my job, and they are fucking useless as general purpose machines. They're expensive and painfully underpowered.

You might as well get them a chromebook.

Get a zotac nuc. They're cheaper and have more ports

I use one every day at work, no complaints

Honestly I'd get them a laptop, parents love laptops.

>mac faggotory
kill yourself tripple nigger

Get Zotac Zbox, better bang for buck.

i had like 30 of em
nuc6i3syh or something

love em, a bit expensive,
amazing box