Good old Desktop Computers

Let's have some chat about good pre-built PCs we've come across.

Attached: dell360_1[1].jpg (1200x1200, 140K)

>good pre-built PCs
Nice joke, user.
Upboated

So I've been working on this Dell Optiplex 360. At first it was going to be my emulation PC but I've decided to donate it to my aunt.

In the process of getting it set up I've noticed how good of a product it is. I've noticed:

1. It's very quiet
2. It's really solid
3. It's easy to work on.
4. it has a nice aesthetic

When I say it is quiet I mean it is really quiet. You can't even hear it at idle. Under load the 2.93ghz Core 2 Duo's fans are barely audible.

Now I have owned some of the SFF optiplexes and I know they are loud and the fans are constantly spinning because of the small case size. But in this mid tower case I guess the ventilation is good enough.

The CPU fan must be pretty huge for it to be this quiet.

I got this thing for $12 in a lot of other surplus computers on govdeals last year.

Attached: 2067[1].jpg (800x750, 143K)

you don't know what you're talking about brother

If it's good it's good, don't matter if it's prebuilt or what

what could I do with this kind of PC in 2018. Is there a market for flipping them. I like to work on dell optiplex's but haven messed with anything this old. I just have modified a few with a new graphics card and ssd. But now that I am not into gaming as much I would like to find another excuse to work on old PC's. I too have researched govdeals to find deals like these. Are there any other places you search for old Dell's?

Attached: canvas1.png (380x380, 242K)

I like these machines.

990s are good. stick at 1050ti in it and use it for budget 1080p gaming. i use mine as a server.

yeah mines got a 1050ti in it. its actually a 790. what do you put on your server? just for learning or do you actually use it for something like storing movies? Ive been looking for a purpose for mine since I stopped gaming.

plex server. nothing special. im the same and i sold all my pc shit and bought an xbox and buy gamepass.

I bought one of those for my mom, and i think it will outlast us all.
It's scary silent.

I bought an optiplex 720 used on eBay a few years back and I honestly don't really have complaints with how it ran. Obviously the weird motherboard form factor which fucks upgradability is pretty retarded but it works and works pretty nicely

Appropriated a think center m93p from an old employer.
>voltage regs on each fan, set to just below my audible range
>accommodated low profile 1050ti outfitted with two 80mm arctic fans
>dropped in a spare 4670
>3.5" to triple 2.5" adapter, one 500gb SSD and two 1TB HDD I had around

Gave it to brother as a 1080p gaming machine. Ran dead silent with great temps.

They have a PCI-E slot so you could install a cheap low-power GPU like a GTX 750 and use it for a 2000s gaming machine. It would have PS3/360 level performance.

You could also use it for playing emulated games via RetroArch. The GPU power would be enough to run shaders so games would look quite good.

With the quiet fan and simple looking design it would look pretty good in a budget emulation set-up.

Since it is supposed to be a very quiet PC you could replace the HDD with a SSD and use for your home cinema machine. Or turn it into a local server.

>It would have PS3/360 level performance.

It would be better than that. Same graphics but much better frame rate.

I have a 9800gt and it absolutely demolishes the 360/PS3.
The GTX 750 probably put it closer to the Xbone.

>990 with a 1050ti

exactly what i have as my back up rig that i take to parties

nice. i was thinking about shilling for a newer one and shoving a 1080 in it but the 990 with a 1050ti works great.

Years and years ago, when I was working in the military, I loved to buy Micron PCs. They were always reliable, and used generic internal connectors for everything.

I used to work at a place where we'd get donations from businesses and government branches, refurbish the computers/whatever else, and send them out to schools. Anything below 3GHZ dual core for a pc gets send to be recycled. Some of the 780's and above were considered "school level", though, so if you know a local school desperate for computers there's an idea.

Hmm yeah. Guess they'd have to be pretty desperate. A raspberry pi might be faster?

You can find Optiplexes and such with X56XXs all the time still. Even with an OEM motherboard you can still push these with SetFSB. That's a 6/12 cpu system that you can compare to a modern i5 or r5 @~4 GHz for under $300 USD.

Most Dell, HP, and Lenovo pre-built PCs are pretty good. The Core2 Quad ones are still great for most stuff if you aren't a /v/tard. I use a Core2 Quad desktop as one of my main machines. I also don't give a fuck about noise so I went into the BIOS and set the fans as high as they'll go for ice cold temps. It sounds like a PowerMac G5 when you boot it with the side panel off. I did this purely to upset the roastie that my roommate recently started dicking.

Posted from my HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF recently upgraded to a Q9650.

Attached: 00d580f3c743fd928024d83ab40aae47ef769290713dd1c666e1364e52b1f5db.jpg (540x332, 31K)

>I did this purely to upset the roastie that my roommate recently started dicking.
buy some delta fans if you want to revv up her autism.

>A raspberry pi might be faster?
Not even close. An Optiplex 780 can have a 3ghz core 2 duo in it which will blow away a raspberry pi. If combined with a respectable GPU the comparison would become even more ludicrous.

You can play Crysis 3 on a Core 2 Duo + GTX 750.

I assume we are not talking about workstations in this thread? I'm not complaining, because I think it is good to look at the more neglected business and school use computers because everyone knows old Precision and Z series workstations are powerful computers.

>optiplex with x58 motherboard
Really? Any specific model you know of?

Dell Studio XPS has x58 support. If a person came across one for $50-100 they should probably jump on it because they can easily be upgraded to massive power for very cheap.

Attached: studio-xps-9100-design4[1].jpg (339x392, 15K)

The thing about the bad reputation with pre-built PCs is most of the people who put them down are talking about pre-built "gaming" PCs. Stuff like Cyberpower PC or iBuyPower. Those are generally overpriced and have very cheap components that are liable to up and die on you at any given moment.

One the other hand computers made by Dell pretty much last forever if they are taken care of. Or even if they are not taken care of. I have seen Dell Dimensions that are 90% packed full of dust lint. Still worked perfectly years down the line.

HP is pretty much the same story although in my experience you see 10 Dell computers for every HP on the used market. Especially in the enterprise market.

>Is there a market for flipping them
There is. If you go on ebay you will find people who have painted them, upgraded the CPU, and then slapped in a cheap GPU and sell them as a budget gaming PC.

Attached: ca6a523705e44ae2abb400c2a878bf2f.jpg (1440x1080, 564K)

I came upon a Gateway DX model. Put 16gbs in it has a I5 3330, upgraded the power supply added an ssd to pair with the HD and a RX 580 for cheap total $285 if the motherboard supports it maybe upgrade to a better ivy bridge gpu but it's great for what I paid for it.

Attached: 328899-gateway-dx4870-ub2b.jpg (521x1000, 29K)

bump