What's so bad about raw pointers Jow Forums? Why are so many of you cunts shitting on C lately?

what's so bad about raw pointers Jow Forums? Why are so many of you cunts shitting on C lately?

t. 89iq brainlet

Attached: terry.jpg (183x275, 7K)

Jow Forums's expert programmers never make mistakes and don't need protection from pointer arithmetic

That's why companies generally hire Jow Forums expert C programmers to review their kernels and drivers.

It pays handsomely to be a perfect C programmer, and ever since Jow Forums has become a thing, there has been not a single security flaw in any C program of importance like the Windows NT kernel. Why? ... because Jow Forums expert C programmers never make mistakes.

It ain't Haskell, imperative is for brainlets

cringe
based

not even an argument lmao calm down retard

so it's all just shit talking?

modern optimising compilers change multiplication to incremet automaticaly
co now not so mach difference betwin a++ and a[i]

what?

C is asinine

I see this rhetoric all over the internet, especially now days and I've never seen anybody adequately explain why.

C is the x86 of languages (except it hasn't evolved). Became a success for non technical reasons and became a defacto standard. If you want to see a saner systems language look at Ada.

again I see retards parroting this exact same rhetoric and there doesn't seem to be any reason behind it. Who the fuck even uses ada? I'm not a professional programmer working for the military or some shit so why would I use ada over C? Is ada as portable and useful as C?

nobody has addressed the raw pointer thing yet either, it's almost as if nobody here actually writes software and pretend to know more than they actually do to sound smart

what's wrong with x86 anyway? are you an electrical engineer or computer scientist or are you just some autist who parrots shit about risk-v they got from other opinionated Jow Forumstards

>again I see retards parroting this exact same rhetoric and there doesn't seem to be any reason behind it.

C doesn't even have proper fucking arrays. What crap of a language doesn't even have arrays?

>Who the fuck even uses ada?

Ada is the reason planes don't fall out of the fucking skies

>I'm not a professional programmer working for the military or some shit so why would I use ada over C?

Use C then.

>Is ada as portable and useful as C?

C is "portable" if you use #ifdefs

ARM is a superior platform

A sufficiently well-constructed and full-featured language without raw pointers offer everything that raw pointers offer without the potential for fucking it up. References are basically type-safe pointers. And while certain forms of dynamic reinterpret-casts are useful, there are type-safe ways to define them.

>what's wrong with x86 anyway?

It was an analogy. x86 is an architecture which won for non technical reasons too, but at least this fact is acknowledged. Not so with C since it is still touted as the ultimate systems language.

This. It's not so much that c exists. It's that cnile think it's the greatest systems programming language ever created. Instead of being a rather mediocre language compared to the other system programming languages.

What raw pointer thing? Don't use c++ do you not know what a reference is? Other system languages like Ada don't have the equivalent of C style pointers and instead use constructs similar to references.

so the logic here is that we assume that the programmer is too retarded to handle pointers and instead we need to make some really obfuscated alternative so niggers don't cause memory leaks or some shit, idk it just seems really dumb to me.

nothing wrong with preprocessor directives or makefiles, not an argument. C is extremely portable and software written in C almost always have very little dependencies when compared to software written with other languages

probably

this is my problem, random ass people come on here and say shit like this with no proposed alternative, no benchmarks and no real reasoning behind it. I'm not even here to dick ride C like I just want to know why so many people on Jow Forums have this attitude now. I'm hoping someone will make a valid point

All variables in assembly language are actually pointers. Pointers in a high level language dont offer anything that a regular variable does, they are both pointers in the machine language that is output by a compiler. Ctards fool themselves into thinking that pointers give some special access to memory and they dont. They simply expose dangers by allowing the programmer to walk off safe memory the same as arrays in C allow the programmer to walk off safe memory. The fact that C/C++ programmer think they are wielding special power with pointers only shows they are doing things only useful in systems programming that dont offer any real value in userspace except to introduce bugs and security holes.

tl:dr C in userspace was a mistake

What a handsome young boy. What a future must've been waiting for him. If only he hadn't developed schizophrenia and thrown himself in front of a train...

if only retards from the internet didn't convince him not to take his meds, give him pcp, take his money and bully him into suicide.

this aint it chief

>C is so hard lets shit on it and use c++
You don't understand shit about programming
>C is outdated and not portable
it is evolving but you can't change perfection a lot and you don't know what portable means

>doing things only useful in systems programming
You don't need raw pointers to do system programming either. There are dozens of kernel written in Ada and it doesn't have raw pointers. It also has arrays that know their length and strings that aren't complete shit.

>it is evolving but you can't change perfection a lot and you don't know what portable means

Attached: 13450055_f520[1].jpg (520x556, 38K)

>if only retards from the internet didn't convince him not to take his meds, give him pcp, take his money and bully him into suicide.

His boomer parents are the only ones to blame.

no they did everything they could for him, people from kiwifarms literally drugged him with pcp and convinced him to do all sorts of retarded life ruining shit.

I found a MCU that is in production with a clock rate of under 1MHz. A few bytes of EEPROM and a paltry amount of RAM.

You really think that thing could manage a decent language?

Normies who get upset that their head hurts when having to deal with low level languages that require thinking and problem solving, not copy pasting or following some tutorial.
ARM's instruction set is lacking in a lot of modern features and is bloated. You do NOT need mandatory 16 - 32 bits for every instruction. Not to mention it doesn't allow accessing registers and memory directly, so it will always be slower then other architectures that do. I guess if you're some retarded OOP fag that loves obfuscation and bloat at the cost of performance, it's your kind of kink.

>what's so bad about raw pointers Jow Forums? Why are so many of you cunts shitting on C lately?
There isn't anything inherently bad, they are inevitable.
But in 99% of cases RAII is superior.

rust shills and >muh safety

Attached: eisenhower.jpg (600x530, 66K)

"computers went wrong when they started making them for niggers" - Terry Davis

he was right wasn't he?

love fake quotes

Ofc he was. If you cut Bible bullshit because it was from his insane he was a pretty clever guy

the fool says in his heart there is no God you atheist nigger

Why is programming in C so comfy, frens?

because it's perfect, we really don't deserve it ;_;

C programming is pretty nice.
If C had a extensive standard library, people would understand that as well.

>nothing wrong with preprocessor directives or makefiles

>Windows NT kernel
Isn't that shit written in C++?

C has a library, its bloated and is called C++

>RM's instruction set is lacking in a lot of modern features and is bloated
Bruh, that's RISC in a nutshell; x86 is CISC. x86 is bloat, if anything. RISC instructions are faster, but lack complexity. I think you may have gotten your information mixed up.

cringe and bluepilled

>ret instuction in x86: 1 byte
>ret equivalent instrution in ARM: 2 - 4 bytes
>HURR DURR B-BUT MUH x86 IS BLOAT

Yeah, and I'm sure thats why x86 processors convert those instructions internally to RISC instructions.
CISC is just legacy today.

They don't though. RET isn't even a legacy instruction.
The absolute state of ARMfags.

You need to actually learn, before you can accurately comment on topics. Retards and trolls are attaway.