X86

>x86
>thousands of hw parts
>trillions of different possible hw configurations
>windows will run on any configuration 99% of the time
>for people that don't want windows, linux will also run 99% of the time without issue
>process of replacing windows is simply plugging in a USB installer
>in either case you are in full control and ownership of your device
>timely OS and security updates are guaranteed free forever from microsoft and linux maintainers

>google ARMshit
>thousands of unique hw configurations
>each one requires a unique OS version tailor made for it
>these OSs are completely left up to the OEM to implement and maintain
>good vendors on flagship phones give 2 major OS updates and ~5 years security updates
>shit vendors or budget phones give maybe 1 year OS and security updates
>google takes zero responsibility for this clusterfuck
>you are completely locked out of your hw and are forced to use chinese spyware to unlock your device and hope it doesn't also install a rootkit
>even once unlocked, it still won't matter unless you want to write your own OS updates

>applel ARMshit
>mostly the same problems as google ARMshit
>except, you're completely 100% locked out of your own device and can't run anything except applel's toyOS
>applel will give 5 years updates, but injects malware kill switches that cripple and throttles the device
>applel hold security updates hostage and bundle them with OS updates so you can't opt to only get security updates
>forces devs to only target latest iOS on new app versions to further force you to update and slow down your device or your apps stop working

And yet, through all this bullshit, there are still subhumans on Jow Forums that want ARM cancer to replace x86.

Attached: 1531765116329.jpg (848x1200, 918K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/248342/windows_8_secure_boot_the_controversy_continues.html
blog.eclypsium.com/2018/09/06/insecure-firmware-updates-in-server-management-systems/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That is 1 cute girl(male)

>there are still subhumans on Jow Forums that want ARM cancer to replace x86.
Oops, looks like you're confusing CPU architectures with phones!

Throw yourself off a cliff.

ARM shit doesn't follow the same requirements as mandated by the UEFI Forum, get ready for the true death of Linux once MS goes full ARM.
pcworld.com/article/248342/windows_8_secure_boot_the_controversy_continues.html

epic strawman

>this embedded operating system with a minimal interactive userland is in any way comparable to windows or a desktop linux installation
nice one

but yeah, the hardware lockouts, shitty software, and shitty lifespans of these things are a legitimate problem. Companies like Google and Apple have set a horrendous precedent for the future of personal computing. I never thought I would actually miss fucking BlackBerry, but here we are.

That's not really the fault of the architecture, but the implementation of it. Remember that ARM only makes part of the SoC's that use their products. Any ARM chip could use UEFI, or at least emulate it using the hardware privilege modes.

Technically speaking it's really just a matter of driver availability, but most ARMshit runs a locked down toy OS or is loaded with proprietary components with documentation only available under license and an NDA.
>once MS goes full ARM.
People act like this is inevitable but they're still going to fuck it up by only marketing shitty tablets and 2-in-1s to the bottom of the consumer barrel. It's going to become a forced niche at best.

I mean for awhile there you had brands not following UEFI requirements either, which ended up badly in certain situations(bricked motherboards with rm -rf /)

x86 Surface Phone when? I've had it up to here with ARM crap.

Attached: 1536992577837.jpg (680x680, 65K)

The thing that keeps the x86 shit together is the IBM PC standard.
An old, but truly open and standardized computer, where everything is on the same place on ANY computer.
With ARM, there is no computer standard, everyone do the fuck they want, even if it's dirty, horrible and closed.

>Remember that ARM only makes part of the SoC's that use their products.
And this is why you really *can* criticize the architecture, or more specifically the way the one and only IP holder manages and licenses it. There are no "baseline" families of ARM processors you can buy straight from ARM themselves, only third-party implementations built around their cores, often with a specific purpose in mind.

It's the often praised open-endedness of ARM that makes it so prone and nearly inseparable from shitty, proprietary hardware when compared to more "closed" architectures like x86.

2hus are cringe but i would fuck this chink

OP you have nice tits

get a rope and just kys you brainlet

kys

this

Wrong. We want most of the benefits of x86 and none of the downsides. So far we have POWER9 workstations which are expensive, though they are powerful. On the low end we have Raspberry Pis and shit which are cheap and they work well enough as embedded devices, small servers, etc. The only reason why most Jow Forumsentoomen are even using x86 is because it fills the space between embedded tinker board and $2000 desktop.

The actual ISA matters fuckall to me. I just want hardware without management engine garbage that's reasonably secure and allows me to install Linux or BSD or any other OS I want.

Attached: happy_hitler.png (888x653, 351K)

Raptor Engineering is coming out with a cheaper POWER9 ATX mobo called Blackbird soon. Total system build cost is estimated at around a grand.
>no ME bullshit
I'm strongly tempted to get one or the full TALOS II monster build for my next desktop given that the last version of Windows I ever ran on a personal desktop was XP prior to its EOL.

>what a nice girl
>reverse image
>touhou
dropped

That's pretty simplified bullshit you've got there. A pity if you knew anything about what you were talking about.

>>no ME bullshit
yeah it just has one of these instead
blog.eclypsium.com/2018/09/06/insecure-firmware-updates-in-server-management-systems/

>armfags actually defended this

Does RISC-V solve this problem?

Based and redpilled.

I would unironically buy this.

Bring back symbian and S60

>>for people that don't want windows, linux will also run 99% of the time without issue
lmao i shit on windows on every occasion but this is simply not true.

Why is OP trying to tingle my pp?

>any configuration 99% of the time
Is that supposed to be the same as runs on 99% of configurations? Because it isn't the same thing, user. It's important to me that you know that.

>RISC-V
based and redpilled.

Meiling-sama is SO COOL!

Attached: __hong_meiling_touhou_drawn_by_minakata_sunao__1090784885941acf14b3b6e4b627ec2b.png (717x1000, 1.2M)

oh god who is this semen demon???????

>the true death of Linux
I don't think so. yes it would be difficult for a while, but linux would quickly get support for many different ARM chips just like all their other drivers. Linux is too well-designed to go anywhere soon.

This also
>ARM instructions are always either 16 or 32 bits in size
>Can't access registers or memory directly, need special instructions to do so
>The above introduces a performance loss since it always takes longer to not access those areas directly
>Instruction set is extremely limited and basic compared to the wide variety and usefulness of other sets
There's a reason ARM is mainly used for phones and tablets right now. It's a meme architecture that's so baby proofed only fucking retards unironically root for it.

gross

get a rope and just kys you brainlet