/spg/ - Smartphone General

My First Phone Edition

Share and discuss deals on smartphones and smartphone accessories.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: Samsung-SGH-X510-Champagne-Unlocked_5167_L.jpg (388x500, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/digital-camera/pp_009489753175.html
theverge.com/2017/10/26/16555406/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in-color-concerns-software-updates
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/help/screen-burn-issues-t3781826
reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/8oopta/my_op6_already_has_burn_in/
en.miui.com/download-342.html
en.miui.com/download-341.html
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9333&idPhone2=9140
geizhals.eu/?fs=Redmi note 6 pro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Previous bread and yes I actually had this phone, it's still lying around in my closet.

gearbest.com/digital-camera/pp_009489753175.html
430$ for OnePlus 6 8GB RAM 128GB.
Should I buy it? I got the OnePlus One.

>Not an issue if you don't leave static elements on the screen.
>you got to seriously miss-use your phone to get burn in
orly lads? Phones are chock full of 'static elements' such as the power level, wifi/mobile data, the NFC logo, fuck knows what else. Not to mention if you're playing a game with a HUD on it or have the brightness even moderately high you'll pozz your screen up

theverge.com/2017/10/26/16555406/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in-color-concerns-software-updates

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/help/screen-burn-issues-t3781826

reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/8oopta/my_op6_already_has_burn_in/

SOD OFF
O
D

O
F
F

Attached: 91SdN4r.png (849x357, 214K)

The first one I owned was something like a 3310 which was a hand me down from a sibling, the first one bought for me was a Nokia 3200.
Back and front covers were see through platic and it came with a special paper cutter that would make cut outs to fit in those sections so your case could be anything you wanted.

Attached: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVTtT4CzH_7taRRNc_JNPO23AU98Pr8sS9f1fKQ1sFY5dGa99w.jpg (251x201, 11K)

this bitch

Attached: myfirstphone.jpg (500x550, 19K)

is LG G6 the best phone I can get for under $200 right now? refurb is $180 right now. on T mobile.

I only care about CPU/GPU/RAM and to a lesser extent big screens

Attached: 1540415750714.jpg (720x751, 90K)

Why did clear tech in general phase out? I'd love a genuine clear smartphone.

Chads used this phone

Attached: SERIW800I3A_l.jpg (394x480, 47K)

was living the zoomer life

Attached: 818iCHCYZSL._SY606_.jpg (303x606, 29K)

Maybe circuitboards don't look as interesting as they use to.

>have a nokia 808 from early 2012
>amoled
>still my primary phone
>still no burn in
how did nokia do it lads

Attached: 1536994025191.jpg (680x663, 56K)

Is the XZ2 the only non chink flagship that offers an IPS panel?

Could be, Mi 8 Explorer certainly felt like it needed to compensate.

>xz2
>flagship
it's a fucking midranger priced like a flagship

>SD845
>6GB RAM
>strong battery
looks flagship enough to me unless you're one of those zoomers who want 10GB RAM on their phones

you can get that shit in a pocophone

Your package with Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite - (Dual... will be delivered today.

Attached: rexfeatures_5621088f-630x480.jpg (630x480, 70K)

What is the least bad phone out of these and are there any alternatives to consider:
Nokia 6.1
Mi A2 Lite (the notch irritates me already and the back panel is allegedly very flimsy)
Sony XA2

I need stock Android, a headphone jack, good build/durability and ability to perform basic functions without lag.

Attached: lg-kg800-combo.jpg (325x400, 37K)

Nokia phones are built like a brick if you have a high value on durability.

Thanks. I think the durability and ergonomics matters the most for me since I really don't care about camera, games or even video. I use my phone as a podcast player and a GPS device 90% of the time.

Maybe Windows Phone helps? It's mostly dark and simple colors, so less white that burns out everything. Also a very dynamic scrolly UI in general. I assume stuff like the clock/battery would be visible on a full screen grey or white image tho.

anons pls help. also considering galaxy s7 or lg v20

Mi A1

Pocoshit has some cheap digitizer, worse build, a fucking NOTCH and a shittier camera. I don't trust them to make good internals at that shitty price

just ordered a pixel 2. tell me why i'm retarded

Attached: 51NCF0NGEML._SY450_.jpg (317x450, 25K)

O().

The 808 runs Symbian Belle. WP was the 1020. Part of it is the low resolution of the screen, as large pixels last longer. Part of it is my usage pattern. Unlock phone, do something for a minute, lock it. No drooling at instagram for hours on end.

Based XZ1, the camera is much better than the XZ, which was beaten by the fucking pocophone. Can't wait to get it. Should be a good upgrade over my XZ which I broke in April

Attached: gsm.jpg (601x875, 178K)

I'm planning to buy one for black Friday, Google pixel 2 or mi mix 2 (or any other Xiaomi phone really)

Attached: images (95).jpg (784x391, 29K)

I did it Jow Forums. I managed to install lineageOS.
Works pretty good. But system sounds are bugged for me. Even with custom ones. I play the file in my mp3 player it plays fine. When I set it as my alarm it sounds awful.

Don't use these shitty OS systems, stick with the stock stuff that comes with your phone. You trust some XDA weebs and pajeets to code something for free, something that's better than what paid experts make for a company? LOL

Me grandpa.

Attached: 68011616-fdd9-11e6-9bb2-e68bd1a4fc26.jpg (700x525, 75K)

>wake up
>phone is kill
was a pixel xl, do i go for a pixel 2 xl or a pixel 3? im trying to get by with an old nexus 5 but it may as well be using a watch battery

Attached: (cant wake up).jpg (173x197, 12K)

Okay yeah.
I guess using such a phone basically makes it a dumbphone with a fancy camera. Did you notice the maximum brightness go down over time tho? The oled on my 2012 PSVita went from "oh my god I'm burning my eyes out" to "eh is this really max?" in a few years. (obviously way more intense use than checking on texts for a few minutes every day) Also the battery was fucked and I couldn't find a fresh one, so I had to actually buy a new IPS one from Japan to get the most recent one they manufactured.

Even if there's no burn in, gradually decreasing brightness is also a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to have to worry about that shit. Especially if it degrades significantly before the battery does. And I could actually find brand new replacement batteries for my current phone that's 2 years old (even though mine isn't fucked yet) so if you want to be cheap/environmentally friendly and try to keep a comfy phone for years, the screen should definitely not be a consumable.

Are Amazon refurbished phones legit? And will accubattery or something give me a solid idea on how much mah is left?

Yes. I won't realise how shitty your OP One is until you upgrade to something better

Get a Pixel 3 but be quick before the BF sales end

mix 3

>Chads used this phone
Picrel is for true Chads

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 76K)

miss that time.

Attached: 808808.jpg (160x328, 13K)

When phone's screen was crushed. When I plug in the charger, I can feel it vibrant once but can't see/hear anything.

Is it at all possible to recover the internal storage on it? It doesn't show in devices via adb devices.

Yeah it should give you a decent idea in my experience, but it depends on the hardware of course so YMMV.

Are these refurbs sold by Amazon or by 3rd party sellers? I'd at least email them about the battery being new or not if you're not sure.

>use usb otg
connect to mouse then backup your data.

Absolute boomer here. First phone dates back to comfy 1997.
Bought this bad boy used. Battery would last 3-4 hours. Couldnt even send messages, stored a few contacts and made calls. Thats it.

Attached: Motorola-MicroTAC[1].jpg (600x400, 18K)

p.s. i was a kid back then and used my saved money to buy this shit. I grew up in post soviet eastern yurop so when I went to school with this phone and was the only kid there with a mobile phone everyone thought I was pretty cool guy :^)

>connect to mouse then backup your data.
How's that gonna help when the screen doesn't display anything?

At least it didn't have a notch.

p.p.s. oh yeah and 1 minute back then cost around $1 so i would spend my weeks lunch money to make 3 minute call to my friends house. Totally worth it.

best unlocked phone you can get for less than $300 this black friday? whatever works in america works in my shithole

Attached: 1541282646849.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

I fixed it.
I had to go into TWRP and rename the soundfx folders stored in vendors/lib and vendors/lib64
Now its all pretty great.

>tfw update

Attached: Screenshot_20181123-073333.png (1080x2246, 323K)

POCOPHONE

This is because I had Viper4Andrpid installed. I forgot to mention that.

Every complains that the XZ1 camera is horrendous but from what I see it's still upper-end. And you can even use gcam with Hdr+ if you flash the AospExtended rom available for it.

My first phone

Attached: g1.jpg (320x253, 17K)

doesn't work in 'murica

Yeah it was this color. Really not bad at all tho.
>sd card slot
>2.5mm jack but acceptable earphones were included for 12 year old me
>I could make custom themes for it with decent software (I think made by motorola but this might not be true)
>worked as usb flashdrive, no bullshit retarded media protocols, used glorious mini usb
>had an always on clock display, also texts and such

Not bad desu. Those j2me apps never worked tho lol.

Attached: A060605_ADA_MOTO_V360_GREEN_VELKY_V.jpg (285x212, 14K)

Honor Play vs Nokia 7 Plus?
Is having the chinkirin a death sentence, particularly for gcam?

It was this moto rockr just sold under a different name in my country, the free bluetooth earphones were sweet

Attached: images (45).jpg (316x300, 19K)

Pocophone

No NFC.

What is the new reference chink phone these days?

Previously had a Redmi Note 3 Pro which was tits, now need something new. What new not shitty chink phone has the best price/performance ratio in the

Attached: Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-6-Pro-Snapdragon-636-3GB-32GB-6-26-Notch-Full-Screen.jpg (800x800, 366K)

If you care about stock software nokia if you care about gayming honor

Pocophone if you can stretch your budget to 300$ or else the redmi note 5 or mi a2 the are your best bet

Nokia then, no GCam for Kirin

Why would you buy the original Mix 2 instead of the 2s or 3?

Alright, what about the XZ1 then?

XZ1 has a legit cam, go for it. And yes you can get gcam for it

>XZ1 has a legit cam
No it doesn't t. owns one

>And yes you can get gcam for it
Not on the stock ROM, you'll need to install a custom ROM for GCam to work

This.

What I liked about it was it was really small and would fit in the change pocket on jeans.

Reception was usually good too.

Attached: images-1.jpg (350x350, 12K)

Poco doesn't work well in the Americas.

please respond

Attached: 1542802318330.png (350x350, 44K)

iPhone 6S

Moto e5 Play or e5 Plus. What carrier?

Poco doesn't work in the Americas, you twit!

A friend broke his S7 Edge. What chinkphone would you recommend around 300€ ?

POCOOOO

Google Fi is having some great deals on their phones:
Moto G6 $99 ($150 off)
Moto X4 $149 ($250 off)
LG G7 $349 ($400 off)
LG V35 $499 ($400 off)
Pixel 3 $599 ($200 off + $200 Fi bill credits)
Pixel 3 XL $699 ($200 off + $200 Fi bill credits)

The phones are unlocked. Activation on Google Fi is required, but there is no minimum activation time so you can immediately cancel the service and only pay the $20 activation fee. If you decide to stay on Fi remember to use a referral code (easily found online) to receive $20 Fi credits.

What's the go to phone for 500-600€?

And unrelated, how is the Mi Mix 2S? I'd go for the Redmi Note 5, but I was wondering if spending something more for the Mix would be worth it. Inb4 poco

Attached: 1471770618637.png (1044x994, 365K)

>"why yes we do have a price matching service, but it doesn't apply to phone only deals"

absolute state, it's like they don't want to make an easy sale

My unlock timer is up on chinkme 5

Its got miui10 so I assume its got antirollback
But all the guides say to not flash a lower version
en.miui.com/download-342.html
en.miui.com/download-341.html

These are just MIUI9

Anyone who flashed theirs recently help me out? Dont want to brick the device

Wait for Mix 3 global release

Is there any good comparison between Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro and Mi A2 out yet?
I can only find pajeet videos on the Note 6 Pro, with shitty camera comparisons.
My little cousin wants to buy the Note 6 Pro for some reason, I think A2 might be a better alternative since you can actually buy the A2 here (EU) instead of getting it from China or India without warranty

If you're flashing an AOSP based custom ROM without a firmware, the protection software doesn't activate. If you decide to flash a firmware (and this is done to speed up the fingeprint sensor usually), just don't flash the one before that certain number. This is a 60 MB file, to avoid any confusion. If you're reverting back to MIUI, the same applies - don't revert to MIUI below that certain version. Also, don't attempt to relock the bootloader, because this only ends badly, rollback protection or not.

I'm looking at GSMarena and while the XZ1 has better picture quality in low light, the 7 Plus destroys it in bad lighting conditions.

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9333&idPhone2=9140

Mi A2 is trash, no headphone jack, no expandable storage, battery is only 3000mah, throttling issues with the SD660. Just get a Redmi Note 5, it's the same phone as Note 6 Pro, just without the notch. And you can get the Note 6 Pro in Europe:
geizhals.eu/?fs=Redmi note 6 pro

Attached: 41Y2E05ZNXL.jpg (275x500, 30K)

Why? Does it work in europe?

Yes

Is there any place I can buy it where it doesn't take a whole month for it to arrive?

True enough, thankfully I won't need to take low light photos for the most part.

chinkstores sometimes ship very fast
could be 3 days could be 3 weeks, it's a lotttery

Is Adaway or Blockada better, or do they both do the same thing but Blockada doesn't need root?

I wish I had a thousand quid to blow on the Mate 20 Pro
should I take out a mortgage to pay for it?

Why do you need such a device?

Arrive to where?

Portugal, in aliexpress, the estimation is:
> Estimated Delivery Time: 33 - 48 days